Who wants the DS cloth map available for purchase?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
I saw the DS cloth map that was awarded as a prize at GEN CON. Any chance WotC will make it available for purchase?

For those who haven't seem it here's a link with pictures: (Scroll down on 1st page)

www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/2880...
Wow, that's even nicer than the original cloth map from the 2nd boxed set!
Very nice.  I'll settle for the original one I have for now, but I would be interested if they did release the new version for retail.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

I'd definitely buy it for anything below 20$.
Interested in reading about a Dark Sun 4e game? Here's the blog of our current campaign. My homebrew Dark Sun material: - the Lord of Blades, a melee oriented Kaisharga/Dead Lord
I want them to sell that map very much.I have all the original maps, including the 1st cloth map, but that one just looks amazing!
That is awesome!  I want.
Having lost my original I've seriously considered paying the ridiculous amounts the revised boxed set goes for on eBay.

An updated version?  I'd buy multiples.  For stupid hide-from-the-wife amounts of cash.
I cannot stress how hard I would purchase a cloth dark sun map. It's been hurting me for days not having one.

I know my paper one is going to fall apart  
I cannot stress how hard I would purchase a cloth dark sun map. It's been hurting me for days not having one.

I know my paper one is going to fall apart  

I bought a second campaign guide as much for the map as to have something to loan to players if need be.  I have a weakness for awesome maps.
Anybody know how to help preserve the original map? Is it possible to laminate the thing at a reasonable cost? (like cost less than the purchase of a new book & map)

I suppose scanning the thing for personal backup wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I hope WotC provides a digital copy for download instead.
Anybody know how to help preserve the original map? Is it possible to laminate the thing at a reasonable cost? (like cost less than the purchase of a new book & map)

I suppose scanning the thing for personal backup wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I hope WotC provides a digital copy for download instead.

The Creature Compendium download has maps, but they're awfully low-res.

The Creature Compendium download has maps, but they're awfully low-res.

hell yes I want a cloth map!

anyone remember the TRAIL MAP  series bakc in TSR days? Waterdeep, Kara-Tur etc, came in a sort of pouch, huge maps
awesome stuff
--| SILVERBLADES SUITCASE |-- Dark Sun & Spelljammer digital art & tutorials
Hell yes I want to be able to buy that map!
Hell yes I want to be able to buy that map!

co sign!!
Dark Sun Product List http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25490749/Dark_Sun_Product_List?sdb=1&post_num=1#459371485
I too would buy the heck out of that thing.
Haiku Police
Wizards if you are reading this.  If you sell us a cloth Dark Sun map you will make LOTS of money.  I would pay as much a the price of a book to get one.   
I'd buy one!
Not selling, but I recieved one at GenCon, luv the map but those dark sun arena encounters were brutal.  You had to win at least 6 of them, without taking too many extended rest and if your party wiped it was almost impossible to get your map. 

They had
4 lvl 3 encounters
2 lvl 4 encounters and
1 lvl 5 encounter

The lvl 4 encounter was so brutal that the gm had to be in a very non agressive mood for any chance of survival (or you needed to be either really lucky, have a perfect party for the encounter, or know the fight before hand).

I heard the lvl 5 encounter was brutal without a perfectly balanced party (didn't need to play it, since I already had the points for the mat at this time, but would have liked to if I didn't have other events to try).
Hell, yeah I'd buy a cloth map of Athas!!!!!!!!
Well I broke down and put mine up for sale.  New minis to paint is worth more to me than the map, although it was fun getting it. 
I want one.

I want one enough to be irraionally irritated at Wizards for making them and not letting me buy one.

Which makes no sense.  I mean, if they had never made those maps, I wouldn't be upset at Wizards.  However they did make those maps, I don't have one, and the fact that I can't fix that lack somehow makes me upset.

So it is a PR goodie so good that it is toying with my emotions and stoking negative PR in my heart by being out of my grasp, and on a whole its mere existance makes me less happy with Wizards as a company.

Did I mention that I want one.  A lot.  Irrationally so.

I saw the DS cloth map that was awarded as a prize at GEN CON. Any chance WotC will make it available for purchase?

For those who haven't seem it here's a link with pictures: (Scroll down on 1st page)

www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/2880...

I got all excited, then realized it's the same map that comes in the book... so unless there is a preference for cloth over paper, eh.

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Well I broke down and put mine up for sale.  New minis to paint is worth more to me than the map, although it was fun getting it. 

Congrats on your future pile of cash!    

Congrats on your future pile of cash!    

I like it, but not that much.  I'll settle to wait to see if they release a retail version and use my 2E Revised version in the meantime.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

I want one.

I want one enough to be irraionally irritated at Wizards for making them and not letting me buy one.

Which makes no sense.  I mean, if they had never made those maps, I wouldn't be upset at Wizards.  However they did make those maps, I don't have one, and the fact that I can't fix that lack somehow makes me upset.

So it is a PR goodie so good that it is toying with my emotions and stoking negative PR in my heart by being out of my grasp, and on a whole its mere existance makes me less happy with Wizards as a company.

Did I mention that I want one.  A lot.  Irrationally so.

I feel the exact same way! Stupid Wizards better sell that map in the non to distant future!!!

Cha-ching!!

That's the sound a cash register makes make when a sale is made.  Haven't actually seen (or heard) a manual in a while; now it's more like Beep! Boop! ;).

/\ Art
I still have my cloth one from the 1990's, but I'd love one of these! That's an awesome map! Smile

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I should buy one for sure if they release it. In the meantime, I will scan it (or wait for a pdf version form WotC), and print it on a carpet, there´re lots of companies who make it for not too much money.

I do have the revised edition box, so I do have he cloth map, I love it, 15 years of use and it still looks good, I never used the paper map of the original boxed set since then :D
It should be available as a prize at PAX in a few weeks. I will be running the arena and hope to see some players come away with that very cool map. It is a very nice map.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

That is awesome, but I'd rather have a Forgotten Realms cloth map. I'd be willing to buy that over a giant Orcus mini...

And to the person who asked about the cost of laminating their map, I had the encounter map from Scepter Tower of Spellguard laminated at my local office supply store for less than $5.00. Totally worth it.
And to the person who asked about the cost of laminating their map, I had the encounter map from Scepter Tower of Spellguard laminated at my local office supply store for less than $5.00. Totally worth it.

Sweet! I didn't know it was that cheap. Totally going to check that out now... thanks! Although I also like Marduck's carpet idea
Well, another 4E Dark Sun map is now listed on eBay:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...

I remember the one listed last year selling for almost $200.

Not sure how essential the cloth part of the map is - Gale Force 9 has an authorized Dark Sun world map, in vinyl wet-erase. I picked one up and love it, even with the slightly hefty $40 price tag. Caravan routes, hidden ruins, and more are much easier to note, track, then remove for the next campaign.
I like the idea of a cloth DS map, it will be the price that has to be right.
Been some time on the thread, but I actually have my cloth DS map from Gencon 2010.  I should probably consider selling it!
I was dreaming about these and realized that since it is supposedly exactly the same image as the paper one that we could print our own cloth maps.  See this service and I'm sure that there are other ones.  The question is whether there is a high resolution digital image of the map.

www.uprinting.com/rolled-canvas-printing...
My Dark Sun adventures published in Dungeon magazine.
The image is the same one as the pdf they provided with Dragon 391. The article was "Traveling the Sandswept Roads" and had several downloadable versions.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sign In to post comments