D&D Encounters: Gear Question

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is in regard to generating a character for D&D: Encounters "Dark Sun" chapter 3. I posted this previously but figured it's specific enough to deserve it's own thread:
Does the guideline stating you gain 620 gp to use for gear and a +1 magic item mean that not only do you automatically get a magic item, but you can ALSO buy more (most +1 magic items only cost 360 gold, and alchemical items are fairly cheap as well), or does it mean you have 620 gp which you can use toward buying only one +1 magic item in addition buying other, non-magical gear?

I'm not exactly sure what the guideline is intending to say:
"Characters start at 3rd level with 620 gold to purchase equipment and receive their choice of a +1 magic weapon, +1 magic implement, +1 magic armor, or a +1 amulet of protection"

Not trying to "nit-pick" or be a rules lawyer like the boys and girls who haunt the "4e Rules Q&A" forums, I just want to be clear on what is intended by the guideline so I can have my character ready in time.
  • You get a basic level 1 +1 Item with no properties or powers: Weapon, Implement, Armor, or Amulet of Protection.

• You get 620gp to spend on gear.

• You can buy any legal gear: magic items, consumables, alchemical items, scrolls, ritual books, mounts, ammunition, weapons, armor, clothing, adventuring gear, implements, ki focuses, wondrous items, tatoos, martial practices, survival days.....

I do not recommend that you take a +1 magic weapon or +1 implement, since the inherent bonuses you get from level 2 cover pretty much everything that the weapon would.  You might however, spend 520gp to get a level 2 +1 magic weapon/implement with a property or power if one strikes your fancy.
Thanks for the clarification Laughing
I think Devyn might be a little off on this one. The way I read it is that you get the 620 gp to spend, and you get a +1 magic item of any type (not just one with no properties or powers). The DMG allows for 1st level characters to have 5th level magic items, so I don't think this is meant to restrict what types of magical items your characters have. As long as the bonus to the magic weapon, implement, armor, or amulet is +1, it's good.

Ultimately, however, I would say that the interpretation of this rule is up to your DM, just as with anything else. And if you're the DM, you get to decide what you think is best.
I think Devyn might be a little off on this one. The way I read it is that you get the 620 gp to spend, and you get a +1 magic item of any type (not just one with no properties or powers). The DMG allows for 1st level characters to have 5th level magic items, so I don't think this is meant to restrict what types of magical items your characters have. As long as the bonus to the magic weapon, implement, armor, or amulet is +1, it's good.

Ultimately, however, I would say that the interpretation of this rule is up to your DM, just as with anything else. And if you're the DM, you get to decide what you think is best.

I don't understand how "Characters start at 3rd level with 620 gold to purchase equipment and receive their choice of a +1 magic weapon, +1 magic implement, +1 magic armor, or a +1 amulet of protection" allows any room for interpretation. A +1 magic weapon is a +1 magic weapon, not a +1 flaming weapon or +1 thundering weapon.

As for the 620g, I don't see any restriction on how that is used.
I don't understand how "Characters start at 3rd level with 620 gold to purchase equipment and receive their choice of a +1 magic weapon, +1 magic implement, +1 magic armor, or a +1 amulet of protection" allows any room for interpretation. A +1 magic weapon is a +1 magic weapon, not a +1 flaming weapon or +1 thundering weapon.

As for the 620g, I don't see any restriction on how that is used.

Again, this is just my interpretation, but I read "+1 magic weapon" as "any magic weapon that has a +1 (as opposed to +2 or +3) bonus". A +1 flaming weapon is a magic weapon with a +1 bonus. Do DMs only give out +1 weapons to lower characters, and then once they get to level 5 or something they give out the ones with properties? In Chapter 2 of the current D&DE, someone got a +1 piecemeal armor and someone else got +1 crystal armor. That's not just a +1 set of armor with no properties at all. This rule, as I see it, is intended to allow for that sort of thing: to allow for magic stuff characters should have picked up in the course of getting to 3rd level.

At least, that's how I read it.

A +1 flaming weapon is a flaming weapon with a +1 enchantment (level 5).

A +1 magic weapon is a magic weapon with a +1 enchantment (level 1).

Both are magic items but they are totally different.  The e-mail that I got refers to those level 1 items.

Even though a +1 summoning armor is a level 1 item, it is not a +1 magic armor and thus not available to select as your free item.

With the 620 gp, you could purchase a level 2 item since that is 520 gp.

Please note that if you make a new character, you lose access to the other items your group got.

Exactly, a "+1 magic weapon"  is a specific refference to a specific thing in the Players Handbook. The thing that seals this as a specific thing is that is in italics, which specifies it is referrencing a specific item.

Any ambiguity here is in your head.
Also, if you notice, they specifically say: +1 Amulet of Protection.  This confirms for me that they only want you to have a non-propertied/non-powered item.

They have already broken the item distribution rule by giving you only one item not the three that the rules in the DMG state you get at level 3: Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4 items; and by giving you 620gp, not 520.   The rule about you getting items of Character Level +4 is just a guideline for the GM.  He can give a first level character a level 23 item if he so desires.

Also, if they intended you to get any +1 item the would have said one weapon, etc of level 1-5.
The only issue that I see is this: a +1 anything with no other properties may as well not be there because Dark Sun characters have inherent enhancement bonuses - so the magic item won't actually make any difference.
 Actually ND your not quite right it gives +1 d6 damage on critical hits.

Im actually thinking they are being pretty open with the swag for late entry roll ups after all the characters have acumulated about 200gp if memory serves and even if all the characters have been there since week one there are two of them have not aquired a magic item other than the baldric of time, (which a incoming new character would have the cash to buy if they so  desired along with there ''free" +1 Item).
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Actually ND your not quite right it gives +1 d6 damage on critical hits.

Actually this is incorrect.  The inherent bonuses provide a +1d6 per inherent enhancement bonus to hit.  Which is why, in my first post, I recommended that you not take a weapon or implement.  Armor or neck slot is fine with spending your money on a weapon or implement of level 2.

The only issue that I see is this: a +1 anything with no other properties may as well not be there because Dark Sun characters have inherent enhancement bonuses - so the magic item won't actually make any difference.

The Armor and Neck slot will help defenses, because you don't get any bonuses to defenses until 4th level.

And they are being generous with letting you start with 2 magic items, one basic +1 and a level 2 item of you choice with the ability to buy your standard gear to boot.  Especially considering at least one of magic items for loot was completely useless.

Devyn, where do you see the Crit damage?

I probably just missed it...

And they are being generous with letting you start with 2 magic items, one basic +1 and a level 2 item of you choice with the ability to buy your standard gear to boot.  Especially considering at least one of magic items for loot was completely useless.

If your talking about the Belt our DM ruled you could use its ability at the beginning of every combat not just when you roll a 20 for initiative.

Devyn, where do you see the Crit damage?

I probably just missed it...

In the Dark Sun CS section explaining inherent bonuses.
I'm picking up my copy today on the way to my game...

Thanks.
Especially considering at least one of magic items for loot was completely useless.

If your talking about the Belt our DM ruled you could use its ability at the beginning of every combat not just when you roll a 20 for initiative.

Actually, I was referring to the Orb of Debilitating Langour.  The one person who could use Orbs didn't have have an attack that targeted Fortitude.  The only benefit he got at the time was +1d6 crit because we didn't know that inherent bonuses got that at the time.
Very true Devyn when I saw that way back in Chapter one I asked Nick about it in the ask the author thread and he said he had missed it and to change it to targets Will instead of Fort.  Id make that change retroactively if you didnt sub a different magic item.
Especially considering at least one of magic items for loot was completely useless.

Actually, I was referring to the Orb of Debilitating Langour.  The one person who could use Orbs didn't have have an attack that targeted Fortitude.  The only benefit he got at the time was +1d6 crit because we didn't know that inherent bonuses got that at the time.

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium