Post Your Questions about D&D Essentials Here

457 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't promise answers, but I'll pass this thread on to WotC.

Keep in mind this isn't a discussion thread. Let's keep it civil and on track. Thanks!
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
What does "Sesquipedalian" mean?  Cool

-SYB
I tried to start one of these before. Hopefully this one won't be taken over by discussion. Here's a repost of some of the questions:

1. If Essentials is the new design model going forward, will future books only support Essentials classes? - I think we already know since GenCon that new books will have stuff for old classes, just reposting it anyways.

2. Will classes new to 4e (Avenger, Invoker, Shaman, Runepriest, Swordmage, Seeker, Warden, Warlord, etc) also get new redesigns in the Essentials model?

3. Will we ever see PHB 4, Arcane Power 2, Divine Power 2, and Primal Power 2?

4. Will books after Essentials ever be in hardcover?  Answered at GenCon.

5. Is Player Options: Shadow going to be the new model replacing PHB's or Power books?

6. For the classes that have class features instead of encounter or daily powers, can they always be swapped out for an appropriately leveled encounter, daily or utility power? - We've only had a partial answer here.

7. How are new players who start with the Essentials products supposed to find out about or transition into products that came out before the Essentials line was launched?

If I am playing characters based on phb1,2,3 and buy the esientials books, will I still need the old books?

Will errata be created to make sure the phb1 material is consistant with essientials (e.g. will races by errated to match the new stat bonuses).

If I don't want to use essiential updates, but want to continue using CB will I be able to continue using only "core" rules?

It has been mentioned that many feats will be obsoleted.  Will they be removing obsoleted feats from cb? (or at least make it an option).  Already there is a gluteny of choices that take too long to sort through, many of which are already obsoleted.  If a choices is obsoleted hopefully they will remove it to save time in making choices and to prevent bad choices.
Will the new format for feats only be for new feats, or will existing feats be edited to fit the proposed format for scaling heroic-tier feats?

What does the Thief's Weapon Finesse class feature do, and how will it interact with Melee Training?

Will classes from the Primal power source be granted power structures like the Warpriest and Mage, or like the Knight and Thief? Or will there be some of each?

The original core books said that this was our game too. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

How will these additions be implemented in DDi services like the Character Builder? Will they be simple additions, or a separate grouping?
Will we see new builds for Martial Classes (Fighter and Rogue, specifically) that are like PHB/MP builds i.e. have at-will, encounter, and daily powers?

Will older builds see new power printed "for them", like Cleric powers that do not attack (for Shielding Clerics), or melee prayers that key off of Strength (for Battle Clerics).

Will item rarities affect treasure parcels in any way, shape, or form?  Like, instead of items of level +1, +2, +3, +4, and a bunch of GP/Art objects, will parcels be 1 rare at level, 2 uncommon at level +1 and +2, 4 common at level +3?  Or something similar?
Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging. Roll dice, not cars.
be honest, is the strength cleric dead?...be truthful with me but...be gentle

Thank you, Webster, for doing this. I hope most of these (and the previous) questions get an answer, especially the tougher ones ;).

1) Will any more pre-Essentials material be updated to to conform to the new Essentials builds, as Magic Missile and Melee Training were?

2) Going forward with the new Essentials paradigm for class design, is "balance of power" between the classes still a design priority? If it still is, where does it rank?
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Will I be able pickup @-will stances and other powers that augument basic melee attack by multi classing into fighter or make a hybrid fighter?  
Will PHB2 and campaign setting races be updated to the new "choose your stat bonuses" style?  Where will the new versions of these races be presented? 

Since you are updating the game to the Essentials design philosophy but not updating the core rulebooks, will some things for the game only exist in their new, official form electronically via DDI?

Will all existing 4e classes be getting an updated Essentials-style "build" or version eventually?

Will we ever again see a class designed in a way that gives you all the class features up-front, instead of classes where you have to level into your full range of class abilities bit-by-bit over time?

I just want to know, will pre-essentials content continue to receive support alongside essentials content? That is all...
Outside of the red box will they e reprinting basic rules in the other essentials books or will it be assumed you bought the red box/phb?

Now that the in topic question is out of the way please ask them...

Will we get a player character write up for Kobolds please askCry  I will be goodSmile

Thank you
Is the distinction between Heroic, Paragon, and Epic being intentionally lessened?  (Feats will no longer have tiers, will anything else get the 'no more tiers' treatment?)  Could tiers be dropped entirely at some point?  (mechanically, the game already plays very similarly at all levels - as it was stated it was designed to do)

Will redundant feats be eliminated in CB or called out in an update, so they don't remain as underpowered 'traps?'  Or will they be left in as a way of rewarding the 'system mastery' of those who know not to take them?

Will redundant builds within the same class be eliminated or merged eventually?

Could the option of accessing deleted or radically updated material be added to CB?  Perhaps as a campaign option?

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Why the focus of MBA.  One of the reason stated was people didn't get at wills.  I find it hard to believe that there was enough people who didn't get "at wills" to justify this.

Another reason stated was to bring back that "old feelng" I hated when some changes where made just for the sake of making them feel like the old way

You didn't need to do that to bring it back.  4th mixed old and new pretty good.

Why the change in Magic Missile.  It was not a change that was needed. It was balanced and did what it was suppose to do.  We have more things that need to be errata, changed or balanced, why worry about changing things for fluff's sake.

I don't want to feel like we are going backwards, but that is the feeling I get.  What new innovations will we see so I don't feel that way
Any info on what tokens for PCs are included in the Red Box set?
How will the new essential classes interact with Multiclassing.

E.G. Will a Theif be able to swap out class features of a particular level with powers or class features of different classes?

Will I be able to multiclass into Essential classes, e.g. a Fighter multiclassing into Thief rather than Rogue?

As you're updating a lot of material that will be used with Essentials, e.g. Melee Training, Burning Hands, will we see more updates and improvements to the old core material, Ranger's archery style as an example.
I've removed content from this thread because thread disruption and off-topic posting are  Code of Conduct violations.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...
Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
Will we get tokens of monster beyond the monster vaults?

Will we get tokens of character from somewhere?

Can we expect a semi-essential token (character, and monsters?) box (maybe with some additional floorplan)? 

Will we get token of monster and characters in future Dungeons adventure print-out?

thank you 
IMAGE(http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1105914135.325.1281987627.png)
How are/were the new racial ability score bonuses chosen?  Was consideration given to the "flavor"-support of certain ability scores (or lack thereof, in some cases) in 4th edition itself?  Were "favored classes" a major (or perhaps, sole) consideration in the assignments?  How much consideration was given to prior-edition racial archetypes?
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
1)  Is class design for future releases i.e. Heroes of Shadow and future Heroes books, going to be in line with Essentials or are they going to presented in the same manner as all the prior classes?

2)  If I choose to not use the "sub-classes" will the powers be laid out in a way that I can use it in my standard class power choice.

Note: If this has been answered in another forum/article can someone just send to me via private message and I will delete my question.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Pushing for a Viashino Planeswalker and Ugin!
1.  Will the Necromancer and Hexblade be their own classes, or subclasses of existing classes?
Will there be/How will hybrids work with the new sub-classes?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Here are two serious questions:

What can Essentials bring to the table that Pre-E apparently could not?

Why should I purchase the Essentials instead of Pre-E?
ok I read somewhere that they would consider publishing the essientials in hardcover if there was enough demand for it.  If so, how do we voice our demand for it?
To avoid wishy-washy answers, I'll try to ask these correctly... (feels like framing a Wish against an evil DM ;) )

1) Will there be new Cleric powers that use Strength as their attack stat printed in any books in 2010 or 2011?

2) Will there be new Fighter daily powers or encounter powers, usable by PHB fighters, printed in any books in 2010 or 2011?

3) Will "Player's Handbook: The Heroic Tier" contain any reprinted 4e content, or is it entirely new content?

4) Ditto for "Hero Builder's Handbook"

5) Will the PHB2 races and classes, and the Warlord, be getting new Essentials versions?  Will they appear in Dragon?  What is the time frame on releasing the updated versions?
To avoid wishy-washy answers, I'll try to ask these correctly... (feels like framing a Wish against an evil DM ;) )

1) Will there be new Cleric powers that use Strength as their attack stat printed in any books in 2010 or 2011?

Or in a 2010 or 2011 Dragon artical?

2) Will there be new Fighter daily powers or encounter powers, usable by PHB fighters, printed in any books in 2010 or 2011?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Don't ruin my questions!  Get your own! :P
Will the classes presented in Heroes of Shadow have a "build" structure as in essentials classes, or the open structure as in the PHB's?

If they have a build structure, will they have at least as much flexability and as many options per level as say a rogue made entirely from PHB1 material?
(If at all possible some hints as to how this might be achieved would also be great, but I appreciate that it is very early for previews of that material, so a decent explicit reassurance would help a lot).

Thanks.

at least according to the guy who got the book and started a thread here, there is a fighter build in dark sun with numbered fighter powers

When does it come out?

Note: If you are a starting DM please look at my fist post where i have outlined most of what you need to start out. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25548193/Help_a_new_player_start_a_game.
For the classes that have class features instead of encounter or daily powers, how will they work with actual paragon paths/epic destinies that grants encounter & daily powers?
Does the essentials model for character class design represent the way in which classes will be made from now on?  Or can we expect to see more traditional classes (eg. at-will, encounter, daily based) released in the future?

at least according to the guy who got the book and started a thread here, there is a fighter build in dark sun with numbered fighter powers

Hmm... i meant post-essentials actually... I guess I have to reword my question more carefully.  This is why I always ended up on a deserted island in the future frozen in ice whenever I tried to make a Wish in 2nd edition :~(

When does it come out?

I just checked out amazon and it said sept 7. I am assuming flagship stores will get it early. Mine gets about a week to 10 days early
Can I start buying electronic versions of my source books (in PDF or eBook format) that you will be updating with errata as it comes so that I can "download" an updated version as needed and still feel my money was well spent?

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Can I start buying electronic versions of my source books (in PDF or eBook format) that you will be updating with errata as it comes so that I can "download" an updated version as needed and still feel my money was well spent?

This is a question about essitenals?

This is a question about essitenals?

Yes it is.  I'll rephrase if necessary.

Will Wizards be taking this opportunity to finally release their product line, starting with the essentials product, in electronic format for their customers.  Dare I say, like their compedators do.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

Will content developers still have the ability to put level based requirements on feats thus giving them an easy mechanism to make feats available to appropriately leveled characters, ie crazy powerful feats only available to epic characters?
if so, will there be a finer grained level requirement(1,6,11,16,21,26) for feats so that there isn't such a disparity of power between level 10-11, and 20-21?
If not what is the current methodology for preventing the dichotomy of epic feats having a shorter pre-requisite chain leading to brokenness at early levels, and longer chain depth leading to more railroading and 'dead levels'?
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
i couldnt be happier about the new tile sets and the functionality of the package; with these being new products that will always be available, is it a safe assumption that many of the dungeon mag adventures will utilize these tile sets for their maps?
It was stated in the Essentials Cleric Preview that "We’ve charted a new direction in class design with the Essentials products. It’s a direction we intend to use from here on out." Will builds for new classes be in the Essentials-style, the traditional PHB-style, or have both styles present?

Also, with the focus in Essentials on Basic Attacks and Encounter powers, will we continue to see additional options in At-Will Attack Powers and Daily Attack Powers for traditional 4e (PHB-style) class builds or will the support in the future be limited to the Feats, Encounter Powers, and Utility Powers that traditional 4e (PHB-style) class builds might be eligible for?

Commentary/Feedback for context:
Given that Heroes of Shadow is still 6 months out, I appreciate that previews are a long way off. However, that's still 6 months of your existing players/customers left wondering to what extent traditional 4e builds will be supported in the post-Essentials market.
This is purely speculation on my part, but if the decision is to relegate support for traditional 4e builds to Dragon it would be treating them almost like second-class citizens, so that's probably not a good long-term direction. So I ask specifically about published books, not DDI material.

(EDIT: Clarified that PHB-style build support limited to Dragon is my speculation.)
“If the computer or the game designer is having more fun than the player, you have made a terrible mistake.” -Sid Meier