What do you want to see in Ravenloft?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

Instead of listing of what we don't want to see in Ravenloft RPG (like random booster packs), lets talk about in this thread what we do want to see.

Firearms - I would like to see rules for firearms.

Top Hats and Neckties - This is odd, so let me explain. If you go back to the 2nd and 3rd edition artwork in the books, you will often find clothing was of a later period than your normal D&D game. While I think the trailer for Season of the Witch is nifty, and reading  the Averoigne cycle is a must for D&D horror fan, when I think gothic horror, the Victorian time period is what comes to mind. So instead of having Ravenloft using the default D&D tech level, give us the range that was introduced in Domains of Dread along with the Victorian cultural level. After all, maybe the previous empires in the D&D POL setting managed to achieve a wider range of techonogly that wasn't passed down through the centuries, but still exists in the Shadowfell.
Might be too much to ask for trains, but carriages and and stagecoach routes are a must!

Ties to places outside of Ravenloft - Being able to take a ship from Mordenshire to Gloomwrought would be a big big plus. Being able to move between domains without having to "defeat" the Darklord within (like in the current Dragon articles) would make long term campaigns easier to run.

Dracula - Being able to run the novel Dracula ( or any other of the gothic classics) as a Ravenloft RPG adventure will be my lithmus test for how well the game runs. Ravenloft had a different way of going about adventures than the mainstream D&D games, and I would like to see this in the new book/box.

First off, let me second the desire for firearms rules and victorian era clothes and equipment.

Swashbuckling rules - Gothic settings are rather renown for their characters not wearing a lot of armor (or no armor at all).  I can't mention even a single character from Dracula or Frankenstein who wore traditional fantasy armor.  These rules would be good for pirate settings as well (and, IIRC, at least one of Raveloft's darklords was a pirate).

Gothic monster themes - Gothic monsters are known for being smarter and more soulful than normal monsters.  I'd like to see templates that add intelligence to creatures like flesh golems.  I'd also like to see a means of adding unique weaknesses (soothed by music, repelled by a certain herb, etc) to monsters, perhaps in exchange for giving them limited regenerative powers or slightly better defenses.

Possession & Exorcism rules - In gothic settings one of the most terrifying aspects of devils and demons is their ability to possess the innocent.  Fiendish/Faustian contracts would also be a welcome addition.

Curses - While it generally goes without saying that curses should end up in Ravenloft, I'd like to see curses with a disease-like progression track.  I'd also like to see forcible monster transformations take the same tack.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I want to see a Ravenloft campaign setting game that is treated like a Ravenloft product first, and a stand-alone game with new mechanics second.
I like the idea of cards for Gamma World in that they're essentially a giant table you roll on that is customizable (remove cards, add cards from accessories, etc). I don't see this idea transferring well to Ravenloft as there no need for giant random tables. There's no need for random races/classes in the game. I really, really hope they didn't have such a fun time with Gamma World that they decided to do a similar game (ala Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon).

I also pray the game doesn't turn into fantasy X-men with a werewolf and a ghost and a vampire and a flesh golem all banding together to fight evil or struggle to regain/find their humanity. There were 88 Ravenloft products released for 2e and 3e and only two ever really focused on Player Character monsters (Requiem: the Grim Harvest and *technically* Carnival). Otherwise known as 2.2% of the game. If the game is just an excuse to have people drawing monster cards instead of races and classes (again, like Gamma World with vampire necromancers instead of radioactive-cockroach geomancers) I will be very upset.

The yet unknown physical element might be a form of corruption tracker. Used to measure the player's sanity or physical taint instead of Dark Power checks or that system. The trouble with this would be adding it to the box almost necessitates use. You'd want to use it more often instead of when absolutely needed.

What I Want
I'd like the writers to acknowledge the ArtHaus/ Swords & Sorcery edition of the game, but not necessarily pick-up the metaplot. Starting at the same era as the 3e book with Azalin returned and Inza as lord of Sithicus. At the very least the writers should do their research and look at what was written about the lands and the lords to avoid contradiction. The writers of the Gazetteers worked hard to amalgamate the contents of novels, adventures, and game books into a single cohesive package.

The least-offensive physical component would be the fortune telling Tarokka deck, even though I have like four of these (two from Forbidden Lore, one from the Red Box, and the fantastic S&S one). Possibly using the cards in place of dice for the various Ravenloft mechanics such as fear, horror, madness, and power check. Or using them in plot and/or character creation.

We know they're adding monster-PC rules to the set, which seems as useful as adding expansive Red Wizard of Thay rules to a Forgotten Realms game or allowing adding the Dreaming Dark to the playable races and classes of the Eberron book. Yeah, you can have alot of fun in an expectation-defying Inspired campaign but that doesn't mean it should be presented as the norm in place of more standard options.
Again, best-case the rules are related to failed Power Checks/taint corruption but presented as an option and not expected play, so PCs are not descending into monsterdom like Cthulu player descend into madness.

The Core has seen so very much attention it would be nice if the book focused on Islands of Terror, which would work well now that the game is part of the Shadowfell. But that's not likely, as you cover the main areas in the campaign setting so it's the most useful.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

While I think it goes without saying, I think a section of the book should deal with techniques for creating the gothic horror atmosphere.  Now, I kept nearly all my Ravenloft books throught the years, so I still have a wealth of that information at hand; but it probably should be included for the benefit of those who are not in the same boat as I am.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Two words:

Parthian Rapier.
Masque of the Red Death

'Nuff said.
i'd quite like to see game adventures like a light in the belfrey.

i found the interactive cd that you got with the adventure to be very entertaining and held the attention of the players

in response to the necrophilia comment...

i knew some one who was into flagellation, bestiality and necrophilia but he was flogging a dead horse...

Instead of listing of what we don't want to see in Ravenloft RPG (like random booster packs), lets talk about in this thread what we do want to see.

Firearms - I would like to see rules for firearms.

Top Hats and Neckties - This is odd, so let me explain. If you go back to the 2nd and 3rd edition artwork in the books, you will often find clothing was of a later period than your normal D&D game. While I think the trailer for Season of the Witch is nifty, and reading  the Averoigne cycle is a must for D&D horror fan, when I think gothic horror, the Victorian time period is what comes to mind. So instead of having Ravenloft using the default D&D tech level, give us the range that was introduced in Domains of Dread along with the Victorian cultural level. After all, maybe the previous empires in the D&D POL setting managed to achieve a wider range of techonogly that wasn't passed down through the centuries, but still exists in the Shadowfell.
Might be too much to ask for trains, but carriages and and stagecoach routes are a must!

Ties to places outside of Ravenloft - Being able to take a ship from Mordenshire to Gloomwrought would be a big big plus. Being able to move between domains without having to "defeat" the Darklord within (like in the current Dragon articles) would make long term campaigns easier to run.

Dracula - Being able to run the novel Dracula ( or any other of the gothic classics) as a Ravenloft RPG adventure will be my lithmus test for how well the game runs. Ravenloft had a different way of going about adventures than the mainstream D&D games, and I would like to see this in the new book/box.

I play in the victorian time period in a domain of my design it seems to fit well, although we notice if you go much further in time then this it ruins the atmosphere. Bram Stokers Dracula is in the victorian time period (as you noted) and he pretty much invented gothic horror. We also found that if the players dont wear armor, the enimies don't either, seems to balance itsself out (in most cases.
Would love to see your Top hats and neck ties. (Top Hat of holding anyone?)
I'd love to see firearms and swashbuckling down but perhaps in a "Pirates" book-- but I'll take it in Ravenloft.

I'd love to see a variety of different "realms." I still want all of the domains there but maybe a connection to the Realms of Madness with a Wonderland kinda theme.

Ok, I read the bestiary 2 from Pathfinder and I decided I really would like a Jabberwokky(sp?) for 4th Ed. ^_^
Monsters races/classes like from Savage Species.

gunpodwer weapons, like witch hunter from Warhammer Fantasy.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I just want to see Ravenloft!!! Cry

I "DMed" Castle Ravenloft back in 3rd edition and I was looking forward for something in Ravenloft for the 4th Edition. Since it seems we won't get anythhing, I'm now creating a sequel to Castle Ravenloft in 4th edition. ( Which will include Azalin... )

I'm playing: Abin Gadon, Halfling Bard Winston "Slurphnose", Gnome Sorcerer Pasiphaé, Minotaur Shaman Eglerion, Elf Ellyrian Reaver (Ranger) DMing: Le Trésor du Fluide (Treasure from the Fluid) Un Royaume d'une Grande Valeur (A Kingdom of Great Value) La Légende de Persitaa (Persitaa's Legend) Une Série de Petites Quêtes... (A serie of short quests) Playtesting: Caves of Chaos We're building the greatest adventure ever known to DnD players! Also playing Legend of the Five Rings and Warhammer Fantasy. Sébastien, Beloeil, Qc. I am Neutral Good and 32 years old.
I wouldn't need anything fancy - I would simply be happy with a boxed set in the spirit of "Madness at Gardmore Abbey", "The Shadowfell:  Gloomwrought and Beyond", or "Threats of Nentir Vale"...  something that includes:

• a campaign setting booklet with:

• just enough Ravenloft setting fluff, and sample plot hooks and adventure ideas to inspire a DM's imagination

• some alternatives to standard PC races and classes (I liked the 3rd Edition's changes to races and classes, and thought they were a nice touch:  I really enjoyed the Caliban stand-in for Half-Orcs and the Ravenloft versions of Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings, and I liked the general idea of a Monster Hunter class even if I didn't care for the prestige class execution - some alternative Ravenloft-themed builds for standard classes in that spirit would be nice!)

• plenty of DM advice for horror storytelling (I thought the 3rd Edition books really did a great job of this!)

• a Monster Vault-compatible book with:

• Gothic Horror -themed monsters (at least, the ones that don't already appear in the monster vault or manuals)

• classic Ravenloft NPCs (Strahd, Mordenheim, etc.)

• a couple NPCs from the recent board game (Klak the Kobold Sorceror and Gravestorm the Dracolich)

• a couple sheets of tokens for the monsters and NPCs

• a couple nice poster maps of crumbling gothic ruins, haunted houses, dungeon cellars, graveyards and crypts, or similarly creepy locations

• possibly some non-random card decks, such as "fear, horror, madness" effect cards similar to and compatible with the despair cards from the "Shadowfell" boxed set (I thought those were kind of cool), or, alternatively, a deck of Tarokka cards

Something like that wouldn't be too far out of line with what they've done already with some great boxed sets for under US$40 or so, and would provide all the things I like about the boxed sets and about the Ravenloft setting.

I can live without any huge, fancy modifications to 4E rules, and I can live without monster PCs, unless they find a way to keep it simple while fitting seamlessly into the theme (ironically, considering the sorts of RPGs White Wolf is famous for, I thought their treatment of the 3rd Edition Ravenloft setting was surprisingly and refreshingly light on the monsters-as-PCs trope, with non-human PC races being treated as outsiders to most of the setting, and vampire and lycanthrope templates being pushed into a quiet chapter out of the spotlight.)
[spoiler New DM Tips]
  • Trying to solve out-of-game problems (like cheating, bad attitudes, or poor sportsmanship) with in-game solutions will almost always result in failure, and will probably make matters worse.
  • Gun Safety Rule #5: Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy. (Never introduce a character, PC, NPC, Villain, or fate of the world into even the possibility of a deadly combat or other dangerous situation, unless you are prepared to destroy it instantly and completely forever.)
  • Know your group's character sheets, and check them over carefully. You don't want surprises, but, more importantly, they are a gold mine of ideas!
  • "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's a problem if the players aren't having fun and it interferes with a DM's ability to run the game effectively; if it's not a problem, 'fixing' at best does little to help, and at worst causes problems that didn't exist before.
  • "Hulk Smash" characters are a bad match for open-ended exploration in crowds of civilians; get them out of civilization where they can break things and kill monsters in peace.
  • Success is not necessarily the same thing as killing an opponent. Failure is not necessarily the same thing as dying.
  • Failure is always an option. And it's a fine option, too, as long as failure is interesting, entertaining, and fun!
[/spoiler] The New DM's Group Horror in RPGs "This is exactly what the Leprechauns want you to believe!" - Merb101 "Broken or not, unbalanced or not, if something seems to be preventing the game from being enjoyable, something has to give: either that thing, or other aspects of the game, or your idea of what's enjoyable." - Centauri
I wouldn't need anything fancy - I would simply be happy with a boxed set in the spirit of "Madness at Gardmore Abbey", "The Shadowfell:  Gloomwrought and Beyond", or "Threats of Nentir Vale"...  something that includes:

• a campaign setting booklet with:

• just enough Ravenloft setting fluff, and sample plot hooks and adventure ideas to inspire a DM's imagination

• some alternatives to standard PC races and classes (I liked the 3rd Edition's changes to races and classes, and thought they were a nice touch:  I really enjoyed the Caliban stand-in for Half-Orcs and the Ravenloft versions of Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings, and I liked the general idea of a Monster Hunter class even if I didn't care for the prestige class execution - some alternative Ravenloft-themed builds for standard classes in that spirit would be nice!)

• plenty of DM advice for horror storytelling (I thought the 3rd Edition books really did a great job of this!)

• a Monster Vault-compatible book with:

• Gothic Horror -themed monsters (at least, the ones that don't already appear in the monster vault or manuals)

• classic Ravenloft NPCs (Strahd, Mordenheim, etc.)

• a couple NPCs from the recent board game (Klak the Kobold Sorceror and Gravestorm the Dracolich)

• a couple sheets of tokens for the monsters and NPCs

• a couple nice poster maps of crumbling gothic ruins, haunted houses, dungeon cellars, graveyards and crypts, or similarly creepy locations

• possibly some non-random card decks, such as "fear, horror, madness" effect cards similar to and compatible with the despair cards from the "Shadowfell" boxed set (I thought those were kind of cool), or, alternatively, a deck of Tarokka cards

Something like that wouldn't be too far out of line with what they've done already with some great boxed sets for under US$40 or so, and would provide all the things I like about the boxed sets and about the Ravenloft setting.

I can live without any huge, fancy modifications to 4E rules, and I can live without monster PCs, unless they find a way to keep it simple while fitting seamlessly into the theme (ironically, considering the sorts of RPGs White Wolf is famous for, I thought their treatment of the 3rd Edition Ravenloft setting was surprisingly and refreshingly light on the monsters-as-PCs trope, with non-human PC races being treated as outsiders to most of the setting, and vampire and lycanthrope templates being pushed into a quiet chapter out of the spotlight.)

I hope Wizards will read this because that's a great description of what we want to see!

Don't forget the Vistani!
I'm playing: Abin Gadon, Halfling Bard Winston "Slurphnose", Gnome Sorcerer Pasiphaé, Minotaur Shaman Eglerion, Elf Ellyrian Reaver (Ranger) DMing: Le Trésor du Fluide (Treasure from the Fluid) Un Royaume d'une Grande Valeur (A Kingdom of Great Value) La Légende de Persitaa (Persitaa's Legend) Une Série de Petites Quêtes... (A serie of short quests) Playtesting: Caves of Chaos We're building the greatest adventure ever known to DnD players! Also playing Legend of the Five Rings and Warhammer Fantasy. Sébastien, Beloeil, Qc. I am Neutral Good and 32 years old.
- The one and only thing I want to have in the Ravenloft 4E (if it happens) is a witch hunter class from scratch or a theme witch hunter. It must have something like Turn Undead and some ranged crossbow powers too. 

- The vistani are also a must. Oh yeah and the broken ones too.  
I have not played Ravenloft in many years but I have great memories of Ravenloft, and would like to see a comeback perhaps. The darkness, horror, evil, and magic in the misty planes is spine tingling. Horrid creatures lurk the night, fear is strong in Ravenloft. Undead lords such as The Magister, Lord Strahd, and Lord Soth should make strong appearances. 5th edition should be able to provide Ravenloft with a proper re-launch.
Well, Ravenloft is getting something in DDI this year. When and what I do not know. 
I wanted say a thing, and maybe this is the best place to say it.

I imagine a little retcon of the demiplane of dread.

Barovia would be great like a empire or a little continent.

The demography and mortality would be more razonable. (Let´s rebember the most dangerous city in the real world are near 150 murders per 100.000 inhabitants). In a fantasy settin like Ravenloft a marriage could be parents of twelve sons. Two of them would die by natural causes (sickness or accident), and the other five would be killed by monsters or criminals.

I imagine a "mirror universe", like the otherworld from "Silent Hill" franchise or "Umbra" from "World of Darkness rpg", where ghosts could "live". Some of those pocket universes would be zombie post-apocalipse realms with some survivors...(a variant of "petitioner" souls).

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

The introduction of Castle Ravenloft in a boardgame form was a great way to intro the Ravenloft realm into the D&D 4.0. What I would like to see now is continuing of the return of Domain of Dread. There were domains with in the Ravenloft Realm that covers a wide variety of time eras. Prehaps WOTC could publish each realm as module while Dungeon Mag. could publish specific section within a realm as an adventure. 

Just what I want from Ravenloft.

Brett

starglyte wrote:

I would like to see Mistspace, a Spelljammer crystal sphere that has been pulled into the Demiplane of Dread.

Since the 2008 forum changes I have spent more time on The Piazza than on Wizards of the Coast's forums. The Piazza's Campaign Settings area has since grown to cover more than 30 different campaign settings and its rules area (called The Crunchy Bits) has grown to cover 10 different RPG systems, including clone systems like Pathfinder and C&C and a free to download retro-clone built at The Piazza called Dark Dungeons.

Beyond the Moons: The official Spelljammer website Spelljammer Forum: The Piazza's forum dedicated to Spelljammer Spelljammer Wiki: The encyclopedia of Spelljammer

I would like to see a conversion application published on how to take already existing Ravenloft Modules from the 2.0 era and transfer them to 4.0 version. This obviously does not have to be just for Ravenloft but could be used for all the D&D realms. It could be just a simple article writen by a Wizard Game Designer demonstrating on how a Ravenloft Adventure from the "Book of Crypts" 2.0 could be converted to 4.0 version. Otherwise it could be open to a freelancer who could start converting all the Ravenloft adventures to a D20 system, starting with "Feast of Goblyns."

That would be different...

Sign In to post comments