Encounters Logistics

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
From a store perspective, how do you all run your Encounters nights?

Do you have people sign up before Wednesday?

What do you do with players who show up on Wednesday without a sign up?

How do you assign players and DMs to tables?

How do you track player stats across sessions if they are not consistently with the same table/DM?

Have the player trackers and character sheets been adequate for Encounters?

I'll chime in later with how I've been running it at my FLGS, but want to read your responses before I taint the thread.
Our store doesn't do sign up.  We were running 2 tables (with 1 table doing a second session in same night), once we routinely were running 7 player tables, we broke to 3 tables (with still 1 table doing second session).  With every now and then a table running on Saturday for people who weren't able to make the Wednesday sessions.

And we're starting to be able to routinely fill 3 tables, so maybe we'll need a 4th come season 3.

Players usually keep returning to the same DM, with new people going with whoever invited them, or joining the table with room if they are alone.

I've given up tracking stats... I leave it up to the players, but like I said our players don't change tables that often.  Action points are about the only thing I try to keep track of, by making sure those that miss sessions are delayed on getting their next one. 

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Players have been pretty static lately for us, so I could probably get away with a sign-up. However, in what I feel to be the spirit of the program, I run it as a drop-in with dependables, since it's supposedly aimed at newbies. 

People start arriving sometimes as early as 3:30 or 4, for the 6:30 games. I run around signing up the Encounters crowd and the Magic standard tourney we have going on simultaneously, then start the Magic tourney at 6:15. While doing that, I also coordinate who's sitting where and who we have for Encounters.

After I start the standard tourney and leave it in my coworker's hands, I have usually 3-5 mins to set up my table (after displacing the people who've stolen my seat twice over). I hand out the tracking namecards, make sure there's dry-erase markers floating around, hand out character cards for those who need them, print off level-up sheets, and sometimes even get it all done.

Then we start at 6:30, run usually till about 8-8:30, and I collect things up and chat with people to see how it went for them.

I do all the tallying for the previous week when I get to work on Wednesday. I do my forum lookup (so people don't die horribly) in the morning before work day-of.

It's kind of hectic, and the magic tournament came first, so unfortunately we have to work around each other, and my coworker's frequent smoke breaks mid-tournament. Doesn't help that I can barely hear the players in that environment either, but them's the digs.  
I am an organizer of a local Roleplay Game group on Meetup.com. Nearly all of the players are now members too. It has an RSVP system that I used to ensure that characters for the season could be reserved by RSVP and the limit could be set.

The membership grows kinda slowly, but it was fair for everyone. I made as much information available as possible and made sure that the store also alerted walk-ins that the group exists. That gave everyone a chance to get involved ahead of time. Also useful was a list of who had RSVPed so I know who to expect--particularly if someone was running late. If they had RSVPed I didn't mind waiting an extra 15 minutes.

The group gave rise to some private groups coming together also. That is a positive side effect. By having the public game, folks could meet other members in the public setting and see their playstyle before inviting them to their home for private games.