Martial Supremacy and Charging?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need help understanding the Level 22 Utility called Martial Supremacy, which states "..., whenever you use a fighter at-will attack power or a basic attack, ...".

So getting now to my first question; since a Charge is a melée basic attack does Martial Supremacy trigger when charging? I.E reroll an attack that misses for a charge.

My next question is that, if the first question stated above is true, would Martial Supremacy still trigger if replacing the melée basic attack of the charge with an at-will (I.e. Howling Strike)?
As long as you use a basic attack or a fighter at-will attack power, the stance works and allows you a reroll.

Howling strike is a barbarian power though so it doesn't trigger martial supremacy which requires a fighter power.
I 100% agree with you if using Howling Strike as a normal standard action, but once again reading the text for each item is causing me to question.

Assuming the stance of Martial Supremacy "... or a basic attack ..."
Charge = move + melée basic attack.
Howling Strike special states "Special: When charging, you can use this in place of a melée basic attack, ..."

Thus by substition I read it as that MS does apply. Why else do certain abilities then have these special rulings? I am also using Howling Strike only because it's a non-Fighter power.

Another example, not using Howling Strike, would Eldritch Strike work with Martial Supremacy? Eldritch Strike states the following: "Special: ... This power counts as a melée basic attack. ..."
It will work for the Eldritch Strike, because it "count as a melee basic attack" and the Martial Supremacy apply to the Basic Attacks.
It will not work whit Howling Strike because it is used "in place of a melee basic attack" ie. by substituting it.
Actually Play'ng: Nothing. My old party is full of short-sighted racists and sexists (on their own admission), so I left.
I need help understanding the Level 22 Utility called Martial Supremacy, which states "..., whenever you use a fighter at-will attack power or a basic attack, ...".

So getting now to my first question; since a Charge is a melée basic attack does Martial Supremacy trigger when charging? I.E reroll an attack that misses for a charge.

My next question is that, if the first question stated above is true, would Martial Supremacy still trigger if replacing the melée basic attack of the charge with an at-will (I.e. Howling Strike)?

If a power says "instead of a melee basic attack" it does not mean it is a melee basic attack.
There are plenty of powers that actually count as melee basic attacks, and those would work with the stance (like Paladin's virtuous strike)
Ahhh ... that makes sense. Thanks everyone for taking the time for helping me understand.
"Counts as" and "in place of" means the same thing as far as the rules go.  The character builder supports it too.

Try bracers of mighty striking with wicked strike, it works.
No, they don't.  The CB is wrong, as it often is.

Counts as and can be used as ARE MBAs.

Can be used in place of removes 'MBA' from whatever triggered it, and replaces it with that power instead, and it is not an MBA.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.