about legendary creatures?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
my opponent already had a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth on the battlefield, then on his next turn he cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. Rule states that when two Legendary Creatures with the same subtype or name is in the battlefield, it will be sacrificed right? But if this is the case, will the ability(When you cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, destroy target permanent.) of Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre still trigger even if it will be sacrificed?
my opponent already had a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth on the battlefield, then on his next turn he cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. Rule states that when two Legendary Creatures with the same subtype or name is in the battlefield, it will be sacrificed right? But if this is the case, will the ability(When you cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, destroy target permanent.) of Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre still trigger even if it will be sacrificed?

Close... but not quite.

The Legendary Rules just refers to two Legendary permanents of the same name.  It says no such thing about Subtype.  Ulamog is perfectly continent to spread insanity and destruction with both his pals Kozilek and Emrakul.

Rule 704.5k
704.5k If two or more legendary permanents with the same name are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners' graveyards. This is called the "legend rule." If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn't apply.

You may be confusing the Legend Rule with the similar (but markedly different) Planeswalker Rule, which is dependent on subtype, NOT name.

For example, I can have both Akroma, Angel of Wrath and Akroma, Angel of Fury, but i can't have both Ajani Goldmane and Ajani Vengeant (they'd both go to the graveyard immediately).

Rule 704.5j
704.5j If two or more planeswalkers that share a planeswalker type are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners' graveyards. This is called the "planeswalker uniqueness rule."

As for the second part of the question, yes, Ulamog's ability triggers as soon as you cast him.  Even if I countered him and he never entered the battlefield at all, you'd still get to destroy a permanent.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
my opponent already had a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth on the battlefield, then on his next turn he cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. Rule states that when two Legendary Creatures with the same subtype or name is in the battlefield, it will be sacrificed right?

No.  Two legendary permanents with the same name go to the graveyard.  Type does not matter.

But if this is the case, will the ability(When you cast Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, destroy target permanent.) of Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre still trigger even if it will be sacrificed?

Yes.  If there was a Ulamog on the battlefield, and another was cast, its "when you cast" ability will trigger.  Then when it resolves and then goes to the graveyard, its "put into a graveyard" ability will trigger

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....

check the rule here, it states However, an indestructible creature can be put into the graveyard for a number of reasons. The most likely reasons are if it's sacrificed, if it's legendary and another legendary creature with the same name is on the battlefield, or if its toughness is 0 or less.

what does "if its legendary" here mean? this is the reason why i think, legendary creatures with the same subtype will be destroyed.. sorry to ask, i've just return to magic last month,  the last time I play was way back in Onslaught block.. LOL
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....

check the rule here, it states However, an indestructible creature can be put into the graveyard for a number of reasons. The most likely reasons are if it's sacrificed, if it's legendary and another legendary creature with the same name is on the battlefield, or if its toughness is 0 or less.

what does "if its legendary" here mean? this is the reason why i think, legendary creatures with the same subtype will be destroyed.. sorry to ask, i've just return to magic last month,  the last time I play was way back in Onslaught block.. LOL

You're not emphasising that right.

Lethal damage and effects that say "destroy" won't cause an indestructible creature to be put into the graveyard. However, an indestructible creature can be put into the graveyard for a number of reasons. The most likely reasons are if it's sacrificed, if it's legendary and another legendary creature with the same name is on the battlefield, or if its toughness is 0 or less.

It's saying that Ulamog is legendary, and if another legendary with the same name is on the battlefield, it will go to the graveyard.

Here's a great explanation of everything that's changed since the last time you played:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

If I have Ulamog out, and I cast a second Ulamog, they'll both be put into the graveyard even though they're indestructible.

That's what it's saying.

Gerdef
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*

what does "if its legendary" here mean?

This means exactly what it says. If a creature has the supertype legendary and another creature with the supertype legendary and the same name is on the battlefield, assuming that no effect such as that of Mirror Gallery applies, the creature goes to the graveyard by state-based effects.

Rules Advisor

I primarily play EDH a lot, but I have also been known to play every other format under the sun.

My decks as of August 2014:
Geist of Saint Traft Spirits and Auras EDH

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed Storm Combo EDH

UBR Goodies 60-Card Casual

Null Rod MUD Vintage

Retired:

Five-Color Slivers 60-Card Casual

Mono-Green Elf Tribal 60-Card Casual

UR Dragonstorm 60-Card Casual

Esper Artifacts 60-Card Casual

Mono-U Tempo Legacy

GU Land Destruction Standard

Wrexial, the Risen Deep Derpy Control EDH

Heartless Hidetsugu/Zo-Zu, the Punisher/Shimatsu the Bloodsoaked Mass Land Destruction EDH

Hazezon Tamar Naya Synergies EDH

Melek, Izzet Paragon Storm/Chaos EDH

Nath of the Gilt-Leaf Discard EDH

Child of Alara Ally Tribal EDH

Gaddock Teeg Aggro Duel Commander

Urabrask the Hidden Pingers EDH

Tetsuo Umezawa Derpy Control EDH

Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge Derpy Control EDH

Oloro, Ageless Ascetic/Sen Triplets Stealing Control EDH

Hokori, Dust Drinker Prison EDH

Damia, Sage of Stone Dredge EDH

Sign In to post comments