Post October DtB

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So what are we speculating? I know this is kinda early, but post october is when Extended season hits in full and I'd rather prep for then and not now with TSP/CS leaving with 10th.

Fae
Kithkin
Lark
RDW
Elf or Doran Rock
Merfolk

And then?

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jund
Some kind of Bant, NLB or mythic.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
So what are we speculating? I know this is kinda early, but post october is when Extended season hits in full and I'd rather prep for then and not now with TSP/CS leaving with 10th.

Fae
Kithkin
Lark
RDW
Elf or Doran Rock
Merfolk

And then?

Fea will ofcourse be a deck to bear although deck list will vary over the use of Jace

Kithkin may or may not be Kithkin it could be B/W tokens or some version of that but I'm sure we will see a W based agro deck either way.

Lark may see play but I don't think it will be a deck based around lark with no combo or blink to turn it into wtfsauce it will just be a good creature.

RDW might see play depending on what becomes the deck to beat Jund or Fea and depending on the relevance of White based decks.

Rock will be Jund Doran rock is just terrible when put against it and Elf rock while syngeristic can't hurt Fea nearly as much as Jund.

Merfolk might see play depending on how fast the meta is too fast and it won't be able to get board positioning and too slow and you won't be able to win before control decks better removal and counter suits take over.

Also I would add 5CC to that last as mana leak really shores up it's counter structure and it has even better tools then before wheather the deck keeps green though is beyond me depends on if it still likes broodmate as finisher.

And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Wouldnt RDW be Demigod red? Or is that two seperate decks?
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
BW tokens rolls over too easily to Jund.... I can't see that deck gaining steam.

So we're talking more like:

Jund
Fae
RDW (Demigod Red)
4cc/5cc

I think Lark should be able to fight Jund decently... and RDW. It's going to take a lot of Fae boots to the teeth, however. 

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

BW tokens rolls over too easily to Jund.... I can't see that deck gaining steam.

So we're talking more like:

Jund
Fae
RDW (Demigod Red)
4cc/5cc

I think Lark should be able to fight Jund decently... and RDW. It's going to take a lot of Fae boots to the teeth, however. 

Black White tokens was merly an example there will be some form of White based agro to counter jund but whether it is strictly white or if it splashes remains to be seen for all we know it may just be U/W merfolk.

Also Lark is a good creature but it lacks the cards from timespiral that were so synergistic with it to make it the core creature of the deck now it's just a good creature that can played in decks that havea  few small creatures.
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Some form of GW hater would seem best equipped to fight Fae and Jund.... and die miserably to 4/5cc or a lark based control build.

I'm pretty much staring at Lark, WoO, Mulldrifter and K-Finks + Day when I think of a lark deck. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I think fae will be less successful than expected, because everyone has Jund already, so they will play it, and BBE into Fallout/Stag really hurts fae a lot. The current RGU deck(with TSP) is smashing fae to pieces, and sure, they lose Ancestral(so do fae), and burnwillows combo, but there is more than enough tools for jund to keep fae down. 5CC will probably be the best control deck due to the numbers of people playing Jund.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/

B/W Tokens won't even exist because they lose Caves of Koilos and Glorious Anthem.

Lark will probably turn into the U/W "Baneslayer Combo" deck from UK Nationals and will be fairly strong.

I really don't think Fae will do too well even with Jace and without Punishing Fire in the format. I see it as a potential metagame deck but not much more. The game's just getting too fast for Faeries. It actually has to consider playing Disfigure.

Current decks: Type II: B/R Vampires Extended: Modern: U/G Scapeshift 1.5: Ichorid, Elf Combo
The serious extended guys at my shop have been tooling around with a 5-color Fauna Shaman deck and a 4 color fauna shaman deck. The 5 color uses BBE to cascade into nonsense like KotR, Doran, or Sedraxis Specter, with veggie topping out the curve. Typical fae and combo hate cards are in the side.

The 4-color is more focused, since it ditches the black in order to run finks, KotR, veggie, BBE, etc. Rafiq, Meddling Mage, and Gaddock Teeg are maindeck singletons.

Both lists are pretty much stomping Jund and Fae, though 5cc handles it pretty well if fauna sham is kept off the board.

Photobucket
The serious extended guys at my shop have been tooling around with a 5-color Fauna Shaman deck and a 4 color fauna shaman deck. The 5 color uses BBE to cascade into nonsense like KotR, Doran, or Sedraxis Specter, with veggie topping out the curve. Typical fae and combo hate cards are in the side.

The 4-color is more focused, since it ditches the black in order to run finks, KotR, veggie, BBE, etc. Rafiq, Meddling Mage, and Gaddock Teeg are maindeck singletons.

Both lists are pretty much stomping Jund and Fae, though 5cc handles it pretty well if fauna sham is kept off the board.

That deck sounds nice but I can't see Faunu shaman decks lasting really they will be meta game choices but every time they will crop up the next tournament will just have people running 12 main deck removal spells in a small enviroment it may work but against a Jund deck that is expecting it and is running pulse termiante and bolt it will be kept in check easily.
89522235 wrote:

That deck sounds nice but I can't see Faunu shaman decks lasting really they will be meta game choices but every time they will crop up the next tournament will just have people running 12 main deck removal spells in a small enviroment it may work but against a Jund deck that is expecting it and is running pulse termiante and bolt it will be kept in check easily.

I doubt that. The standard-versions of each deck are at worst a 50-50 MU, with the reality that fauna decks get much stronger after sideboard. The 5cc decks are able to deal with fauna decks only because they can sweep the board one turn and play an incredibly aggressive finisher the next turn.

Photobucket
Fauna is way overrated, unlike Survival it dies to almost every type of every game removal. It's a toolbox that can find anything or can start an aggressive beat with vengevine. Jund stomps it, it can't deal with RUG beating the crap out it, IMO I find it too slow, but with proper deck tweaking can be good.

About Fae, I have been playing faeries with x1 Jace Mind mainboard, the deck is incredibly slow, doesn't get a grip on the metagame like it used to in lorwyn standard. 5CC seems like a way better control deck at the moment.

My prediction is combo decks (like Pyromancer and Scapeshift) will be underrated and be a sneaky deck to play. Beatdown decks like RUG, Jund, maybe Rock? will be also very fast and hard to keep up with. Control decks like 5CC maybe mythic will see heavy play as well and be important to the metagame.

The punishing combo is stupid, it's in almost every decklist I see and i'm really happy it's rotating. I like some Time Spiral like the Ad Nauseam deck but then you got GOyf and this dumb combo. All and all the format will feel like a mix of standard we had currently and the old lorwyn standard, should be interesting!
Fauna is way overrated, unlike Survival it dies to almost every type of every game removal. It's a toolbox that can find anything or can start an aggressive beat with vengevine. Jund stomps it, it can't deal with RUG beating the crap out it, IMO I find it too slow, but with proper deck tweaking can be good.

About Fae, I have been playing faeries with x1 Jace Mind mainboard, the deck is incredibly slow, doesn't get a grip on the metagame like it used to in lorwyn standard. 5CC seems like a way better control deck at the moment.

My prediction is combo decks (like Pyromancer and Scapeshift) will be underrated and be a sneaky deck to play. Beatdown decks like RUG, Jund, maybe Rock? will be also very fast and hard to keep up with. Control decks like 5CC maybe mythic will see heavy play as well and be important to the metagame.

The punishing combo is stupid, it's in almost every decklist I see and i'm really happy it's rotating. I like some Time Spiral like the Ad Nauseam deck but then you got GOyf and this dumb combo. All and all the format will feel like a mix of standard we had currently and the old lorwyn standard, should be interesting!

Scapeshift won't be able to handle beatdown decks after rotation, It's important to note that the Doran decks that top 8'd at Amsterdam maintain 100% of the mainboard and all but Rule of Law in the side, which is replaceable with Aethersworn Adept.

Fauna is going to be a decent deck archetype with the punishing fire/burwillows going out the window.

Photobucket
I think 5 Color Elementals has a good shot at being played. The deck was already insane if you piloted it correctly. It just needs to wait for Grove of the Burnwillows to disappear.
Current decks: Type II: B/R Vampires Extended: Modern: U/G Scapeshift 1.5: Ichorid, Elf Combo
@Razor: Ethersworn Canonist, but yeah. Doran is going to be strong still. White Weenie will be strong. I'm of the opinion that Scapeshift Naya Aggro will be very strong as well (hey, let's attack for 20 with pro-color-of-my choice-dudes). That, and I'm loving the options available to Artifact Aggro right now...

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Sign In to post comments