Retraining Magic Missle for my Genasi Wizard

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, my plans for spamming Magic Missle at Paragon tier are gone (like many a wizard).  My Stormsoul Genasi wizard's planned future progression has been thrown back open.  He just hit 6th level and I have some retraining opportunities that present themselves before the next adventure.  The way I see it, I could do three things:

1.  Retrain Magic Missile out for Arc Lightning.  This is the obvious choice thematically and mechanically.  I already have Thunderwave and this fits nicely along side that for a nice bit of "Thunder & Lightning" flavor.  It also fits excellently with Promise of Storm, Elemental Empowerment, etc.  Kind of a no brainer, except I keep thinking about...

2.  Retrain Magic Missile for Phantom Bolt.  The downside is that would do a lot less damage than Thunderwave until I could take Arcane Admixture.  On the plus side, trading less damage for a little bit o'control (sliding a baddie 1 square) has its upside as well.  It'd help me to set up for burst & blasts a bit as well as help out my Defender & Striker buddies.  Of course, there's always the possibility of...

3.  Keep Magic Missile.  It's an auto-hit and thus a good way to polish off a few minions.  But that'd only be one (or two at best if I want to waste an action point) minion at a time.  And, as has been pointed out ad nauseum, the damage doesn't scale well and I'm fairly confident that between a 19 and climbing INT score, feat options, and magical implements that I'll still be able to churn out a pretty fair amount of damage even if I miss sometimes.

I am currently leaning towards option 1 but only about 60/40 over option 2.  Well, make that 60/39/1 when taking Option 3 into account.

What do yinz think?
Magic missle is flipping awsome
I already do 7 damage each auto hit which goes to 9 after ive used my encounter powers (arcane reserves,) which will be increased again when i gain the dual implement feat.

Just the other week the party were in a fight and one of the creatures had the ability to take cover up a tree, everyone else was at -5 to hit against its already good defenses and when it got to my go
"9 damage"  the players all chuckle.. noone did as much damage as me against that creature.

So what i think, is don't underestimate magic missle and its advatages.Soon i will be doing 11 damage per hit and ofcourse with wizards fury thats 22.And this is at level6, i can only imagine how much damage i will do at 11 with improved stat, items and feats.
Magic missle is flipping awsome
I already do 7 damage each auto hit which goes to 9 after ive used my encounter powers (arcane reserves,) which will be increased again when i gain the dual implement feat.

Magic Missile isn't a damage roll, so it doesn't gain any benefit for things that add a bonus to damage rolls (e.g., Arcane Reserves, DIS).  Most feats and items that increase your damage with other spells will have no effect on Magic Missile.
With the D&D Essentials Wizard it looks like magic missile will be a class feature, so you should be able to get it for free and still have two other at-wills.
With the D&D Essentials Wizard it looks like magic missile will be a class feature, so you should be able to get it for free and still have two other at-wills.

Ah yes the wording is damage roll, i'm going to be really popular with my regular group as i only just pointed out that clerics only heal extra from their class feature and the implement feat on powers that allow an ally to use a healing surge with the heal keyword lol

Well, if you're right, the whole point is moot.

BUT, I'm operating on the assumption that I'll be hitting level 7 before Essentials hits the shelves and before the RPGA figures out how that line affects things for existing LFR characters.  I could be wrong, but I've a feeling things won't be made clear to us right away.   
If I recall correctly, Magic Missile is going to be a build feature for the Mage (Wizard build), not a class feature for all Wizards.
Yes it seems that this is going to be the case, from what i gather this is preparing for the buildup towards 5th edition and this sort of thing will happen to all classes.

But regardless of all the corrections and new info on this topic Magic missle is still good for the reason i have already stated , my level 7 wizard with a +2 implement is doing 9 damage and i can shoot things that are very difficult for others to hit with ease.So thats 9 more damage than anyone else can manage.
my level 7 wizard with a +2 implement is doing 9 damage and i can shoot things that are very difficult for others to hit with ease.

Indeed...my Wizard 8, who happened to have a Staff of Missile Mastery +2 even before this change, is doing 10 damage with Magic Missile, and can, once per day, do it to 2 different targets at once.  It's not a game-breaker, but it's not a bad thing at all.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
And this is also a fair point, but I'm starting to think that saving up for a Staff or Ruin+my Elemental Empowerment+Arc Lightning not to mention Promise of Storm makes up for the decent odds of my missing.  
Sign In to post comments