Ravenloft the D&D setting for 2011?

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
There has been a twitter post floating around that suggests that it might be so!
I will confirm this: Ravenloft the Roleplaying Game has been announced for 4th quarter 2011. I was at the D&D Q&A seminar this morning, and it was the big reveal. It was described as both the new campaign setting, and a stand-alone game, similar to Gamma World.

No word on any returning characters or authors, but Strahd was in the artwork. There is also a LOT of Shadowfell support next year.
I'm SO looking forward to this. Ravenloft is my fave setting in D&D. Hearing this announcement at GenCon was the best one so far.

Edit: Btw, Strahd is detailed quite well in Open Grave already, so it seems like Ravenloft has been in the works for some time, WotC probably wanted to keep a lid on it so that they could have a cool announcement for GenCon. ;) 
squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Does a little dance of joy...
The enemy wasn't men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin' stupid people, who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid. - Terry Pratchett Doraleous & Associates : I'll let it speak for itself johnkretzer gave me a . It was chocolate chip and very sweet. Silversword also gave me a . That one was peanut butter!
Supposedly, you'll be able to play as a vampire, were-beast, or ghost, in addition to the "standard" PC party.  So it's kinda WoD-esque.  But my brain keeps going "Twilight D&D!" and I want to claw my eyeballs out in response.
But my brain keeps going "Twilight D&D!" and I want to claw my eyeballs out in response.

One of the WotC people said "No, there are NO sparkly vampires here. If you absolutely have to sparkle, fine, but there's nothing about it in the book."

Also, several of the original Ravenloft writers still work at WotC, so I have a feeling that someone would be running around the place with an axe, trying to kill whoever was responsible for making Ravenloft into Club DiscoVampire if it had been the case.

I'm very confident Ravenloft will be the good old grim setting it has always been. Screw them screaming girlies, the WoD LARP'ers can have them for free!
One of the WotC people said "No, there are NO sparkly vampires here. If you absolutely have to sparkle, fine, but there's nothing about it in the book."

This news goes a long way towards quieting the haunting voice in my brain.  I was hoping and praying that someone at WotC was in the meetings going "people are going to freak about the vampires-and-werewolves-as-a-character thing.  This is the internet, and we know someone is going to invoke Twilight within 5 seconds of this announcement."

I'm glad to hear it sounds like I was right.  Big relief.

There is one thing I am really worrying about, though: they stated that there will be some sort of new physical component to the game. Considering that Gamma World includes a strong CCG element to it, and WotC's plan to release a CCG element to D&D in the form of fortune cards, I am a little worried. The fortune cards are very modular and can largely be ignored by anyone who doesn't like CCG elements in their D&D. But in Gamma World the CCG element is impossible to ignore. I am really worried that they plan to release madness, fear, and dark gift rules as cards that must be bought in CCG booster format. That would really upset me. Cry

Other than that, this news has me VERY stoked. Ravenloft is among my top 4 favorite settings (Planescape, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Eberron, in no particular order).
I really don't see Gamma World having a strong CCG element. Its just extra cards you can shuffle in for character creation if you wish. You don't construct a deck around a certain theme, your cards don't go obsolete every year or so. Are they even going to make more cards are expansions after that Famine at Fargo? How do we know how it works since Gamma World hasn't been released yet? Do the cards do anything more than add some random event to a game?

On rpg.net, someone came up with the idea that if there are cards in Ravenloft, it will most likely be the Tarokka deck. I can see this and hope its true. We might something like what is going on in the Shadowfell box set as well, which won't have any boosters (I am aware of).

I am just not seeing it.
Glad to see Ravenloft comeing back.  Hopefully, WotC won't screw it up too badly.
I really don't see Gamma World having a strong CCG element. Its just extra cards you can shuffle in for character creation if you wish. You don't construct a deck around a certain theme, your cards don't go obsolete every year or so. Are they even going to make more cards are expansions after that Famine at Fargo? How do we know how it works since Gamma World hasn't been released yet? Do the cards do anything more than add some random event to a game?

On rpg.net, someone came up with the idea that if there are cards in Ravenloft, it will most likely be the Tarokka deck. I can see this and hope its true. We might something like what is going on in the Shadowfell box set as well, which won't have any boosters (I am aware of).

I am just not seeing it.

Gamm World will have mutation decks. Devs have said something to the effect of "each player can build their own mutation deck." Mutations grant powers (ala class powers). The game will come with some number of starting cards. Additional cards must be bought in randomized booster packs. These packs will have a rarity system. You don't see that as a strong CCG element? We will have to agree to disagree...
squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What he said.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)

I am just not seeing it.

Gamm World will have mutation decks. Devs have said something to the effect of "each player can build their own mutation deck." Mutations grant powers (ala class powers). The game will come with some number of starting cards. Additional cards must be bought in randomized booster packs. These packs will have a rarity system. You don't see that as a strong CCG element? We will have to agree to disagree...

True we will have to agree to disagree, but I am not aware of players having their own mutation deck. That dosen't sound right, since the main box set comes with a set of cards (that I assume is not randomized) that would have to be split among the players.

It turns that is going to be more expansions to the game, Legion of Gold comes out in Q1.

To get back on topic, I am interested to see if the Vampire/Werewolf/etc characters are character classes, races, or bloodline feats.
If I had to guess, I'd say they'll be races like the Revenant. You'd then be able to choose feats which complement your race rather than your class.
The enemy wasn't men, or women, or the old, or even the dead. It was just bleedin' stupid people, who came in all varieties. And no one had the right to be stupid. - Terry Pratchett Doraleous & Associates : I'll let it speak for itself johnkretzer gave me a . It was chocolate chip and very sweet. Silversword also gave me a . That one was peanut butter!
I think that would be fun, especially if they have rules for turning into said creatures after a nasty bite/curse/discovery of family tree.
I think that would be fun, especially if they have rules for turning into said creatures after a nasty bite/curse/discovery of family tree.

There is a precedent for that in the bloodline feats.  The Dragon Annual has bloodline feats for a Dhamphyr (IIRC), and allowing characters to take those after character creation through curses, etc. would be a nice change in my opinion.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

#BoobsNotBlood

I haven't paid attention to Dragon for a while so I'll be sure to check out that article - thanks MechaPilot!
I haven't paid attention to Dragon for a while so I'll be sure to check out that article - thanks MechaPilot!

I just checked my book.  It is in fact the Dhampyr.  The article starts on pg 111 of the annual, if you have it, and it's called "Playing Dhampyr".  I don't know if they change the article names when they move them from online to the annual though.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

#BoobsNotBlood

From some spoilers on other messageboards, bloodline feats for Elan and the Far Realm (forgot the name of the feat/bloodline) are in the Psionic Power book. The Far Realm one sounds like it would be a good fit for Ravenloft, along with the Dhampyr and Vistani(from Dragon).
The Far Realm one sounds like it would be a good fit for Ravenloft, along with the Dhampyr and Vistani (from Dragon).

The Far Realm? I thought Ravenloft had been pretty much nailed as an area in the Shadowfell. Need to read up on the Shadowfell chapter in my Manual of the Planes again I guess.

Anyways, found the Dhampyr-article in Dragon Magazine #371 (p. 32) for those who have D&DI access but not the Dragon Annual. 
Ravenloft is in the Shadowfell according to Gen Con. There is a bloodline feat in Psionic Power that ties a character ancestry to the Far Realm. Since some of Ravenloft is inspired by Lovecraft, I thought this would be a good fit.
Ravenloft is in the Shadowfell according to Gen Con. There is a bloodline feat in Psionic Power that ties a character ancestry to the Far Realm. Since some of Ravenloft is inspired by Lovecraft, I thought this would be a good fit.

Yeah, the Far Realm is definately Lovecraftian. Even the warlock Star Pact oozes Lovecraft with its "cosmic horror" ties...

True we will have to agree to disagree, but I am not aware of players having their own mutation deck. That dosen't sound right, since the main box set comes with a set of cards (that I assume is not randomized) that would have to be split among the players.

It turns that is going to be more expansions to the game, Legion of Gold comes out in Q1.

Ok, so, some more information came out today. I thought it pertained to our earlier conversation. The following has been confirmed: "Alpha Mutations are encounter powers which are drawn from a  deck created by the Player, and usually revolve around one or both of  the Characters particular themes. " Also, it has been confirmed that Alpha Mutation and Omega Tech (the deck governing equipment your character can find when he salvages things) decks are randomized. What is more, they do have a rarity system. Specifically, "It was also noted that the booster packs were numbered so that if a Player were to buy one of each, he would accumulate one of each of the   “common” cards available for the game. Of course, each booster contains a random rare, and two random uncommon cards, so collectors wanting a complete set might have to do some trading or buy a lot of boosters to finish their collections." All this information is from this year's (2010) seminar on Gamma World at GenCon. Getting your equipment and items, as well as encounter powers, from randomized decks, with at least one type of deck created by the player for his own use, and cards collected via randomized booster packs with a rarity system, sort of seems like a major CCG element, no?

Anyways, that is the sort of thing I am hoping doesn't make it into the Ravenloft game.

Getting your equipment and items, as well as encounter powers, from randomized decks, with at least one type of deck created by the player for his own use, and cards collected via randomized booster packs with a rarity system, sort of seems like a major CCG element, no?

Anyways, that is the sort of thing I am hoping doesn't make it into the Ravenloft game.

You are right, that is a major CCG element and I agree with you on hoping it dosen't make into the Ravenloft game as well.

Its a shame really, I was hoping and from what they said ealier in spoilers and the D&D podcast (not the Gamma World one) that the cards were going to be used for fast and funky character creation, but now I really have my doubts about getting Gamma World. Sad to say though, my D&D group would love this so WOTC might be on to something.
I don't know. I know my group unanimously turned their noses up at the idea (minus 2 out of 6 players who were not at the table while it was being discussed). But maybe it is an age thing. At 26, I was the youngest player discussing these cards. Still, we all HATED the idea. I am also an avid collector of PRG rulesets. I own every 4e book except for the 2 Draconomicons, the Demonomicon, Adventurers Vault 2, and the two race books. Of those, I plan to buy the 2 Draconomicons, the Demonomicon, and the Adventurers Vault 2, in time. I will also be buying the Ravenloft boardgame. If this CCG element had not been included in Gamma World I would have bought every expansion. As it stands, I won't buy a single Gamma World product. Gamma World and its boxed sets run at roughly 40 dollars American. That means they are going to loose roughly 60 dollars from me due to their decision. The question now is demographics. How many will buy the game, and buy the booster packs? How many will completely avoid the game? If the people who are buying the booster packs can not drastically make up for, and surpass, the loss of sales they are going to see from people like me, well, then WotC just made a really poor decision. Otherwise, we are probably going to see this sort of element creep into more and more games, and this is probably going to be the last edition of D&D I buy.

Ah well. I just REALLY want to buy the 4e Ravenloft product. I LOVE Ravenloft. So I am REALLY hoping that Gamma World flops as a result of this, and they keep this CCG element out of Ravenloft because of that.
Its not a age thing, because my players happen to be  your age (with me being older than them). I collect the books as well. That being said, they like card games ( they are playing lots of Magic right now) and they like 4th edition. So I might get Gamma World because they would love to play zany things like that. But I don't see myself buying the boosters, and I don't think not having the boosters will have a negative affect on any Gamma World game I run. Since it is not a game that players compete with each other, there is no need to try and stay ahead of the curve.

I personally would not like to see booster packs for the Ravenloft Role Playing Game ( I so love typing that out) but I am willing to wait and see how the Gamma World, Fortune cards, and Shadowfell cards turn out before making any judgements. Even if they do include booster packs of cards( or what random physical compoment they decide on) I still think Ravenloft will be playable out of the box, and that is whats important.
Since it is not a game that players compete with each other, there is no need to try and stay ahead of the curve.

And we all saw how well that turned out in 3e, with casters being so far ahead of the power curve in regards to non casters, in that game...

Playing in a game where you just don't have the same options, or the same potential power output, as other players in the game is not fun.

Ah well. Like I said before, we will have to agree to disagree. I will buy what I like. Others will buy what they like. If WotC stops catering to my tastes, that is just what will happen. I still have all the books I have already purchased...
I'm not fussed about it either way. If they're interesting, I'll use them; if they aren't, I won't. I'm buying the game for the books and even then, I'll pick and choose what I want in my Ravenloft.
Since it is not a game that players compete with each other, there is no need to try and stay ahead of the curve.

I am amazed how often this comment comes up.  No one is saying that you are competing with the other players.  You are all competing against the hardships (and monsters) of the game world.

This is why the CCG elemt is so frustrating: I do not want my characters' effectiveness in game to be tied to how much money I (personally) can afford to spend.  It's as if WotC offered a second set of PHBs that costs double the price (but all the powers do double the damage and the magic items are better), and saying that it's only event legal to use those powers/items if you have your own copy of the book.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

#BoobsNotBlood

I am viewing this as a player who buys more books to support their characters opposed to  those who don't do that. Since book sharing is possible, you can share your cards too. Rarity system does not automatically mean better cards for Gamma world, so we will have to wait and see if those boosters make characters better than they already are, since the Devs have said that is more about random effects than any character optimazation. After all, in the end its a RPG and not a CCG.

Now to tie this back into Ravenloft (since this is suposed to be a Ravenloft thread), any guess what the new compoment will be?  Since they say its new, there is a good chance it won't be card driven at all. Dice maybe? 3-D tiles? Maybe a online compoment? Don't forget to chime in on the other thread about what you want to see in Ravenloft RPG.

I am viewing this as a player who buys more books to support their characters opposed to  those who don't do that. Since book sharing is possible, you can share your cards too. Rarity system does not automatically mean better cards for Gamma world, so we will have to wait and see if those boosters make characters better than they already are, since the Devs have said that is more about random effects than any character optimazation. After all, in the end its a RPG and not a CCG.

Except, we already know you cannot share cards. It has been officially released that each player builds their own deck for a character. So, it is nothing like books. Books can be shared. If I buy Divine power for my paladin, and Joe happens to be playing a cleric, we both benefit. If I buy a bunch of cards for my yeti-cockroach, Joe's cockroach-yeti is SOL. This is the reason cards sell so well. Incidentally, as the selling point of cards is why WotC wants to include them, WotC has no reason to remove this aspect of the cards from any cards they introduce to the game. Which is why I am not ok with cards being a system of rules distribution. I tend to have the most books of anyone at any game table I play in. I collect books religiously. But everyone at my game table can benefit from my collection. If I were to collect cards in Gamma World (not only would I spend far more money than I do on books) no one else would benefit but me.

And to say that having more cards won't increase your power level is naive. The more options you have at your disposal, the more powerful you can become. It is a factor of RPG games that has always existed in every game that exists. Someone with more options of what to put in a deck will be able to pick and choose in a way that creates a more powerful deck.

Now to tie this back into Ravenloft (since this is suposed to be a Ravenloft thread), any guess what the new compoment will be?  Since they say its new, there is a good chance it won't be card driven at all. Dice maybe? 3-D tiles? Maybe a online compoment? Don't forget to chime in on the other thread about what you want to see in Ravenloft RPG.

A 3D tile set of castle Ravenloft would be cool, but not really necessary as the Castle Ravenloft board game already exists. New dice? I guess... I can't imagine how that would work. All I really want is for the game to be completely compatible with D&D. I don't mean "compatible" the way Gamma World is compatible, which I don't consider very compatible at all (all the characters have more damage output and less healing). I mean, I want the power output of the new options introduced in Ravenloft to very much be on par with standard 4e D&D. And I want playable ghosts, vampires, and werewolves. And I want rules for fear, maddness, and dark gifts. And I want lots of juicy updated fluff.

A 3D tile set of castle Ravenloft would be cool, but not really necessary as the Castle Ravenloft board game already exists. New dice? I guess... I can't imagine how that would work. All I really want is for the game to be completely compatible with D&D. I don't mean "compatible" the way Gamma World is compatible, which I don't consider very compatible at all (all the characters have more damage output and less healing). I mean, I want the power output of the new options introduced in Ravenloft to very much be on par with standard 4e D&D. And I want playable ghosts, vampires, and werewolves. And I want rules for fear, maddness, and dark gifts. And I want lots of juicy updated fluff.

I was thinking about it today, but I wonder if players will end up with their own Domains per say. After all why be a vampire if you can't play Dracula. I am not sure I can see a "mixed party" per say. Also, since Ravenloft RPG is can be a stand alone product, will there be new classes (besides the possible monster classes). While it would be different from the previous editions of Ravenloft, playing a gothic villian might not be bad at all and still in the spirit of Gothic Horror. The Darklord epic destiny in Dragon allows the possiblity of good or unaligned darklords. Maybe player vs player?
Getting back to the original subject of this post, can someone confirm for me that the internet hubbub about Ravenloft being the next D&D setting in 2011 is a general misinterpretation of the news that the Ravenloft standalone RPG will be released in 4Q 2010?

Or has there actually been a separate announcement regarding 2011 Ravenloft?  I can't find any official mention of such a thing.

...Does anyone else feel as old as I do typing 2011?  Where's my damned flying car?
Getting back to the original subject of this post, can someone confirm for me that the internet hubbub about Ravenloft being the next D&D setting in 2011 is a general misinterpretation of the news that the Ravenloft standalone RPG will be released in 4Q 2010?

Or has there actually been a separate announcement regarding 2011 Ravenloft?  I can't find any official mention of such a thing.

...Does anyone else feel as old as I do typing 2011?  Where's my damned flying car?

One of the gencon podcasts floating around said that Ravenloft could be used as a standalone game or as a setting for 4th edition. Since the only other "setting" books were the Nentir Vale book at the start of the year and the Neverwinter book for Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft is considered 2011's setting. Not everyone agrees with this however.

I am not sure I want to see flying cars, since people can't seem to drive properly on the ground to begin with.
Thanks, Starglyte.  That was more or less the conclusion I had reached, and I'm glad to have confirmation.

As a die-hard Planescape fan, I would not mind a stand-alone RPG set in Sigil (for instance) so I definitely understand the enthusiasm of our Domain-dwelling brethren.
I think odds are good that there will eventually be a Planescape roleplaying game at the very least. I like to think that the Sigil appearance wasn't a one-off, but a teaser for what's bound to come.
There is one thing I am really worrying about, though: they stated that there will be some sort of new physical component to the game.

Wait, does that mean Ravenloft, the LARP

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
very happy at its possibility of a stand alone game. and also happy that posts are back on this forum.
I sincerely hope that WotC takes a page out of TSR's book and rethinks their idea of introducing CCG elements to DnD. I don't think I will get any disagreements when I mention the abysmal horror that was the Dragonlance SAGA (5th age game)*

*And this coming from a rabid dragonlance fan who purchased the entire game, despite how disappointing it was - just because it had the Dragonlance label.

As to my personal preference; I sincerely hope that Dragonlance will make a comeback for the 2012 setting. They already filed the serial numbers off Cyan Bloodbane and the Dragon orbs, and let us not forget that Raistlin is in the Character Builder.

D&D Adventurer's League Local Coordinator: Calgary Region, Alberta

Adventurers League

Other

I do not debate on these forums to win, but to educate both myself and others. Winning an online forum debate about the rules of an RPG is about as rewarding and productive as watching paint dry.... Less so in fact.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

I dunno, I liked Dragonlance SAGA. Okay, what they did to the world was horrible, but the actual game was fun and different. 

For Ravenloft, I'm hoping as a stand alone game it can be D&D made a little more low magic and low power, with lesser stats and weaker heroes against deadly monsters where brains and planning are more necessary than tactics and luck.  
For the physical item, the Tarroka cards are the safe bet, possibly used just for fortune telling or an additional random plot or game element.  

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Sign In to post comments