Expert Dungeon Master Competition 21:
Craft a Cursed Item!
Welcome to the twenty-first Expert Dungeon Master Competition! The primary purpose of the Expert Dungeon Master Competitions is threefold:
- To create a resource for new Dungeon Masters drawing on the vast talent pool of the experienced Dungeon Masters of this forum.
- To create a fun and vibrant competition that is sportsmanlike and friendly.
- To showcase the creativity and talent of Dungeon Masters like you.
The best way to keep informed about the competition is to join the Expert Dungeon Master Competition group. There you can review the rules, archives, and future contest ideas, and get broadcasts telling you when new competitions begin and when results are released!
The topic for this competition is "Cursed Item". The contest asks entrants to create a magic item that is "cursed". In order to enter this competition, your entry must fulfill the following required elements:
- Name: Name the item.
- Cursed: The item must have at least one negative consequence to its possession and/or usage, such that only a desperate, evil, insane, or self-loathing individual would choose to keep it.
- Stat Block: Present a stat block for the item. You may use any format, as long as it contains all the information of a stat block for a magic item in the Compendium or Player's Handbook.
- Identification: Address the detectability of the item's curse, keeping in mind the rules for Identifying Magic Items found on page 223 of the Player's Handbook.
- Removal: Describe how the curse might be removed, including but not limited to use of the Remove Affliction ritual.
- History: Describe the item's history.
- Usage: Describe generally how a DM might choose to include the item in a campaign.
In addition, the entry must include at least three of the following optional elements:
- Agent: The item allows a powerful entity (such as an archifey, demon lord, deity, or primordial) to influence its owner.
- Cascading: Each time the curse manifests, it gets less potent until it disappears entirely, or more potent until removed or the owner dies.
- Dormant: The curse does not manifest until well after the owner takes possession of it.
- Environmental: The curse affects terrain or creates zones rather than directly affecting the owner or the owner's allies.
- Hidden: The curse cannot be detected during a short rest or by using the Arcana Skill.
- Innocuous: The item is not standard adventuring equipment, but is likely to be picked up, worn, or used when discovered.
- Lingering: The curse lasts even after possession of the item ends.
- Noncombat: The curse only affects the owner and/or allies' noncombat abilities.
- One Man's Blessing: The item's creator considered the curse to be a blessing.
- Perverted: The item did not obtain its curse until after it had been created.
- Quest: The curse can only be removed by completing a quest described in the entry.
- Revered: One or more NPCs covet the item, as described in the entry.
- Sociophobic: The curse continually affects the owner's allies but never affects the owner.
Following are some general rules of the Expert DM Competition. The complete list of rules is in the Expert Dungeon Master Competition Group Wiki.
- Code of Conduct. All entries must comply with the forum's Code of Conduct.
- Contest Duration. Contests usually run for two weeks, beginning with the post announcing the competition. The Coordinator may extend the duration of the contest at his discretion after consulting the other judges for that competition. However, such extensions should be done very rarely.
- Edits Made at Entrants' Own Risk. A judge may download your entry any time after it is submitted. So any edits you make might not be considered by a judge. For this reason, you should submit your entry in as complete a form as possible. Use the preview function liberally.
- Multiple Entries Prohibited. You may only submit one entry during the period in which entries may be submitted. Submitting multiple entries disqualifies all entries. Additional entries may be submitted after the competition closes, but will not be judged.
- Multi-Post Entries Prohibited. Your entry must be contained within a single post. The judges must ignore any subsequent posts.
- Outside Links Prohibited. Your entry may not include material hosted other than community.wizards.com and wizards.com. Images in your profile gallery may be used.
- Plagiarism and Peer Reviewing Prohibited. All entries must be the original, exclusive work of the applicant. Entries that copy another's work or that has been posted for review prior to the close of the competition will be disqualified.
Judges and Schedule
The contest will run from today through Friday, August 20, 2010. All entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 midnight at the end of that day (Eastern Standard Time). The judges of this contest are Koradzi, Monstro, Nyarlathotep, and Veok, and the coordinator of this contest is wrecan. Good luck and have fun!!