Most universally useful artifacts in MP games?

100 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good morning!

Artifacts are wonderful tools, what with the colorless mana and ability to magnify or shore up strategies of specific decks.  Beyond that, however, are the universally useful artifacts that one always reaches for, regardless of deck strategy.

With that in mind, what are these artifacts?

For me, they consist of Sol Ring, Nevinyrral's Disk, and Journeyer's Kite.

These aren't seen in many of my decklists, though, due to my owning limited quantities of each and not wanting to disable decks nor float cards between decks.  Still, if I had them, they would be run regularly.

What artifacts makes up your regular choices? 

I would consult the MP guide to playing colorless, but it has yet to be written.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Well, there are a lot of decks that use the same artifacts. Not all of the decks use all of these, but I tend to use the these artifacts a lot:
Oblivion Stone
Sun Droplet
Journeyer's Kite
Mirari
Darksteel Ingot (somehow, I use this way more than the -usually- superior Coalition Relic

I don't own a Sol Ring, but otherwise it would be on that list too. 
Let's break this down a little bit:

Mana Sources / Accelerants:

Removal (Mass and Targetted):

Creatures / Creature Sources:

Equipment:

Misc:
Show
Panoptic Mirror
Isochron Scepter
Akroma's Memorial
Obelisk of Alara
Time Sieve
Voltaic Key[
Ensnaring Bridge
Mirror Universe
Winter Orb (So unfun, though)
Memory Jar
Gauntlet of Power
Mirari
Paradise Plume
Hivestone
Rings of Brighthearth
Thorn of Amethyst
Door of Destinies
Coat of Arms (although I still feel like it's a trap, as it always seems to help my opponents comparatively more than it helps me, and I've won games because my opponent cast this before)
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I'm sort of surprised no one has mentioned Sensei's Divining Top yet... The Top and it's newer cousin, Crystal Ball are both really phenomenal at getting the draws you need when you need them. The Ball is in some ways better than the top in that it can put late-game lands permanently at the bottom of your library, but the Top is one of the absolute best artifacts in my opinion.

I'm also a fan of Elixir of Immortality, Thousand-Year Elixir and Amulet of Vigor, simply because they add reusability (elixir of immortality) and speed (thousand-year and amulet of vigor) to decks of any color.
I'm sort of surprised no one has mentioned Sensei's Divining Top yet... The Top and it's newer cousin, Crystal Ball are both really phenomenal at getting the draws you need when you need them. The Ball is in some ways better than the top in that it can put late-game lands permanently at the bottom of your library, but the Top is one of the absolute best artifacts in my opinion.

I'm also a fan of Elixir of Immortality, Thousand-Year Elixir and Amulet of Vigor, simply because they add reusability (elixir of immortality) and speed (thousand-year and amulet of vigor) to decks of any color.

You're definitely right about Sensei's Divining Top and Crystal Ball.  I forgot about those.

I'm unsure about Elixir of Immortality, as the only reason why I've been experimenting with it (as a singleton) lately is as a way to prevent self-mill in a couple control decks of mine that nearly kill me due to card draw and game length.  In general, though, the life-gain would be, if nothing else, decent in colors not used to getting it and the reshuffle effect can be very nice depending on the situation.

Thousand-Year Elixir looks like it would be pretty awsome, although I've yet to see it in action.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Thanks to all that posted so far, particularly Cathaldus.

Any more artifacts to add to this?

On a related note, would some form of guide to artifacts be worthwhile?

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Thanks to all that posted so far, particularly Cathaldus.

No problem.

My one question, though, is if you were talking about Artifacts in particular, or colorless cards as a whole?  In other words, were you talking about cards that could potentially go into any deck, or artifacts that could (potentially) only go in decks of certain colors?
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Mind's Eye has helped me a lot in the past.

Plague Boiler, as I don't really have enough money for that Pernicious Deed, but sometimes this helps more.

It's kinda old now, but I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Bösium Strip.
I don't know about you guys, but my playgroup sees a lot of ur-golem's eye, sisay's ring, and everflowing chalice cards to ramp mana. They are the poor mans sol ring.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
ur-golem's eye, sisay's ring

The only thing that really keeps them from being very good is that they're objectively worse than Thran Dynamo, which is easy to find now with Archenemy out (although the original printing of Thran Dynamo is admittedly expensive for what it does, and Archenemy's not worth it if you just want the one card).
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I don't know about you guys, but my playgroup sees a lot of ur-golem's eye, sisay's ring, and everflowing chalice cards to ramp mana. They are the poor mans sol ring.

What about Worn Powerstone?  A bit cheaper to cast but enters tapped.  Is this worth it in MP games?

I ask because I always set it aside when building decks... though Amulet of Vigor decks make it better.

@ Cathaldus - I'm open to changing the thread topic to include lands and Eldrazi.  Granted, many decks (but certainly not all) benefit from adding the mythic Eldrazis, and some of the rares as well.  Have you some suggestions beyond Maze of Ith? ;)

My long term goal is to get this thread stickied with the others here in the MP forum, kind of like the guides, but without all that effort!

Cheers!

What about Worn Powerstone?  A bit cheaper to cast but enters tapped.  Is this worth it in MP games?

I ask because I always set it aside when building decks... though Amulet of Vigor decks make it better.

@ Cathaldus - I'm open to changing the thread topic to include lands and Eldrazi.  Granted, many decks (but certainly not all) benefit from adding the mythic Eldrazis, and some of the rares as well.  Have you some suggestions beyond Maze of Ith?

I do like Worn Powerstone.  My general philosophy is that to be competatively useful, mana-producing artifacts have to produce at least one less mana than their converted mana cost.  I think that it's just not efficient enough beyond that.  Entering the battlefield tapped sucks, but it's still better than costing one more mana for the same net production of mana.

Come to think about it, I forgot to mention the Mirage Diamond cycle.  They're really, really bad moxen, but, then again, that just makes them fairly costed.

In Neo Mirrodin, I'd love to see Moxen that enter tapped but just cost 1 of whatever mana they produce, something like:

Neo Sapphire Mox

Artifact
"Neo Sapphire Mox enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool."

Are you looking at Maze of Ith to stop the attacking Eldrazi?  It's only a so-so solution, as you'll still have to sacrifice permanents when their Annihilator triggers even if it doesn't deal combat damage.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I do like Worn Powerstone.  My general philosophy is that to be competatively useful, mana-producing artifacts have to produce at least one less mana than their converted mana cost.  I think that it's just not efficient enough beyond that.  Entering the battlefield tapped sucks, but it's still better than costing one more mana for the same net production of mana.

Hm.  I guess I need to rethink Worn Powerstone, then.  Which is good, because I have about a half dozen doing a whole lot of nothing.  I guess I am used to playing a limited number of lands that enter play tapped, but other cards doing so I have not yet wrapped my comfort levels around.  Maybe playing against too many Kismet-Stasis decks once upon a time soured me on it!

The Diamonds are nice, especially in a Pox- (or other land destruction-) heavy environment or deck.  What about the assorted Cameos, like Seashell Cameo?  They are only found in paired allied colors, but still, 3 for one of two colors isn't bad.

Are you looking at Maze of Ith to stop the attacking Eldrazi?  It's only a so-so solution, as you'll still have to sacrifice permanents when their Annihilator triggers even if it doesn't deal combat damage.

Maze was just my example of an incredibly useful colorless nonartifact card; if I had Mazes of Ith, they would be in every deck, or at least the slower decks. 

To be honest, I know there are Eldrazi in my extended playgroup, I just haven't run up against the cards themselves (not enough play time together) to truly fear them.  It is only a matter of time, though.

Cheers!
What about the assorted Cameos, like Seashell Cameo?  They are only found in paired allied colors, but still, 3 for one of two colors isn't bad.

The problem with the cameos is that they're objectively worse than the obelisks.

The problem with the obelisks is that they're objective worse that Darksteel Ingot and Coalition Relic.

Darksteel Ingot is great for metas with a lot of artifact destruction, since its indestructible.  Coalition Relic can potentially double-ramp you and is equally good at color fixing.  Neither of them are expensive either, costing 25 cents and 90 cents respectively.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I wonder if it's worth rattling Samot's chain to see if anyone in the Artificer's Group is a big enough multiplayer-head that they'd be willing to write a guide? Just a thought. (Samot carries the link to the group in his sig - just find one of his posts)

The artifact I want to add to the pile is Planar Portal. If you've got six mana on the board, this is the card you want every turn. And given that the first thing it usually fetches for me is Tolarian Academy, the mana cost isn't usually a problem once it's out. ;)

@Cathaldus: Yes, Thousand-Year Elixir is brilliant in the right deck. One of my fellow Johnnies in my playgroup built a brilliant red-blue deck full of Tims, Lightning Crafter and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. The Elixir and Rings of Brighthearth made the thing go absolutely bonkers. You seriously could not let a Lightning Crafter last the turn with that deck, it was so effective.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
@Cathaldus: Yes, Thousand-Year Elixir is brilliant in the right deck. One of my fellow Johnnies in my playgroup built a brilliant red-blue deck full of Tims, Lightning Crafter and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. The Elixir and Rings of Brighthearth made the thing go absolutely bonkers. You seriously could not let a Lightning Crafter last the turn with that deck, it was so effective.

This made me think of Thornbite Staff-- it's nuts on Kiki-Jiki, but it's also great on creatures like Avatar of Woe and Royal Assassin.

When I need a mana stone for one of my decks, I most often turn to Fellwar Stone. This card is great in a large or diverse group of players.

If I have a deck that cares about a quantity of basics (and isn't green), I like Wayfarer's Bauble a lot. Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, Emeria, the Sky Ruin, and Cabal Coffers are three great reasons to play it.
I wonder if it's worth rattling Samot's chain to see if anyone in the Artificer's Group is a big enough multiplayer-head that they'd be willing to write a guide? Just a thought.

Actually, I emailed him a link to this thread, so I presume he is reading.

This is a good thought, though.

Cheers!

What about the assorted Cameos, like Seashell Cameo?  They are only found in paired allied colors, but still, 3 for one of two colors isn't bad.

The problem with the cameos is that they're objectively worse than the obelisks.

There's also the cycle of Borderposts if you want something better than the Cameo's.

The problem with the obelisks is that they're objective worse that Darksteel Ingot and Coalition Relic.

Don't forget Scuttlemutt and Spectral Searchlight, each has its own benefits.
Don't forget Scuttlemutt and Spectral Searchlight, each has its own benefits.

Good call.

Another good multiplayer artifact is Gilded Lotus.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Totems like the Weatherseed Totem and Phyrexian Totem are slow but give the option of a creature much like the manlands. Depending on the tempo of the game they might not be too terrible
My first thought went to Oblivion Stone but it is already mentioned by other people. That is the single most played artifact I know (and have) because it patches black's weakness against enchantments, green's against creatures, blue's lack of destruction sweepers and red's weakness against enchantments. Only white doesn't truly gain something from this artifact.

(missed Cathaldus's post, skimmed it too fast, but my list of equipment that I use and see often)
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Umezawa's Jitte
Lightning Greaves
Whispersilk Cloak
Basilisk Collar

and not an equipment but very good in mana heavy decks: Staff of Domination
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
Totems like the Weatherseed Totem and Phyrexian Totem are slow but give the option of a creature much like the manlands. Depending on the tempo of the game they might not be too terrible

In my experience, those aren't as good as they look. They don't fix your mana, and their activation cost is pretty high. On top of that, because of the ability most of them have, they only work in very specific decks. The white one is the only exception.
I mainly use my playset of Sol Ring (fun when your playgroup allows it), and my Jittes. The Jittes are pretty much constantly floating between decks - the Sol Rings are just in whichever control deck I'm using at the time.

If I had a Sword of Fire and Ice, I'd probably add that to my three Jittes, so I had a 'playset'. The Sword is usually better than the fourth Jitte, which is why I only have three of those.

Other than that, I don't have that many go-to artifacts - whenever I play a mana-heavy deck, I usually add stuff like Scepter of Domination and - in 1-on-1 decks - Mishra's Helix, for the fun of it. Usually just singletons, though.

Just my 50 cent.
AF79
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
I usually add stuff like Scepter of Domination and - in 1-on-1 decks - Mishra's Helix, for the fun of it. Usually just singletons, though.

Do you mean Staff of Domination or Scepter of Dominance? Because there is a slight difference between the 2:P

In my experience, those aren't as good as they look. They don't fix your mana, and their activation cost is pretty high. On top of that, because of the ability most of them have, they only work in very specific decks. The white one is the only exception.

I can't say that I've used all of the totems (although I've gone out of the way to collect 'em all), but I always support things that turn into creatures.  The activation costs might be high, but they're great to have post-Wrath and late-game.  Plus they're good mid-game ramp, as least as good as any non-ritual ramp outside of Green.

I have use Phyrexian Totem, though.  That thing is beastly against a cleared field.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I can't say that I've used all of the totems (although I've gone out of the way to collect 'em all), but I always support things that turn into creatures.  The activation costs might be high, but they're great to have post-Wrath and late-game.  Plus they're good mid-game ramp, as least as good as any non-ritual ramp outside of Green.

I have use Phyrexian Totem, though.  That thing is beastly against a cleared field.

I played all of them, except the blue one, but the only one I regularly animated was the white one. And I still use the black one in one of my duel decks. They play like they're manlands, but can be destroyed as artifacts (which happens a lot in my meta).

And I think they're overpriced because you also pay for a strange ability that you never use. Post-Wrath, there is harldly anything that might be able to kill my Weatherseed Totem, but somehow, I always get hosed when animating Phyrexian Totem. And 4/4 creatures aren't meant for blocking, so I don't want to pay for that.
I only just discovered them but have no personal experience. I'm building an aura/creature recursion deck and came across them and had considered the Weatherseed Totem in favor of the actual creature card since there is very little artifact/enchantment hatred in our group. Still prefer the manlands I think but I might give them a go
Cathaldus did most of the work for me but here are some more from off the top of my head:

Artifact Creatures:
Masticore (Pinging creatures and regenerating like it's nothing.)
Razormane Masticore (A better combatant than his brother but lacks regen.)
Etched Oracle (It's very easily built around and abused.)
Composite Golem (Provides candy.)
Triskelavus (Abused and reused.)

Equipment:
Deathrender (So you're telling me that I can purposely sac my creature to get a Darksteel Colossus?)
Explorer's Scope (Severely underrated.)
Viridian Longbow (Infinite mana + this. Elves can pull this off pretty easily.)
Shuko (There are so many infinite combos with this that win games.)
Sunforger (If you're in the colors then this is a nifty tutor.)
Surestrike Trident (Fling every turn without the sacrifice.)

Misc.
Crawlspace (An alternate Ensnaring Bridge that nobody seems to remember.)
Ivory Tower (I can do what now?)
Black Vise (It's like a free burn spell during each opponent's turn for only one mana.)
Mesmeric Orb (You have to build around this but it's crazy.)
Temple Bell (Do I need to explain this one?)
Psychogenic Probe (Could be interesting.)
Relic of Progenitus (Pure gold.)
Engineered Explosives (Mass removal of nonland permanents.)
Sorcerer's Strongbox (It's literally Jace's Ingenuity for one more mana in any color. The only issue is you have to flip a coin.)
Aether Vial (So very broken.)

allgeeksrejoice.com Check out my site for all things geek: D&D, MTG, Anime, Video Games, and more.

I agree that it's definitely underrated.  I don't think that it's amazing, but it's definitely better than it first appears.
Black Vise (It's like a free burn spell during each opponent's turn for only one mana.)

It doesn't work the way that you think it does.  Check its oracle text; it only works on a single opponent, chosen when it enters the battlefield.

I've never been a fan of Howling Mine effects.  It gives your opponents the same card-drawing effects without needing to take up the resources to cast or the deck space.  Temple Bell's better than Howling Mine and Font of Mythos in that it doesn't give your opponents cards before you, but I still am not a fan.
Sorcerer's Strongbox (It's literally Jace's Ingenuity for one more mana in any color. The only issue is you have to flip a coin.)

I like it for Red and White, since they have little in the means of restocking their hands.  The fact that it only sacrifices on resolution  is amazing, especially with shenanigans that can be pulled with Voltaic Key.

Broken in multiplayer?  I've not had that experience.  It gets creatures out for free and under counters... maybe it sticks around 15 turns and you sneak out Cthulhu?
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

A guy in one of my playgroups made an interesting deck with this. Using a rogue theme with Knowledge Exploitation, Earwig Squad, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Rootwater Thief and some cool other tricks.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)

I agree that it's definitely underrated.  I don't think that it's amazing, but it's definitely better than it first appears.

There have been tons of artifacts listed in this thread that aren't amazing so I didn't think it would hurt to add it to the list.

It doesn't work the way that you think it does.  Check its oracle text; it only works on a single opponent, chosen when it enters the battlefield.

That is a shame for sure. Scratch that one then.

I've never been a fan of Howling Mine effects.  It gives your opponents the same card-drawing effects without needing to take up the resources to cast or the deck space.  Temple Bell's better than Howling Mine and Font of Mythos in that it doesn't give your opponents cards before you, but I still am not a fan.

Well there are many decks that either punish their opponent (Underworld Dreams, Spiteful Visions, Kederekt Parasite, Ebony Owl Netsuke, etc.) or break the symmetry (discard, Jace's Erasure, Archmage Ascension, Braids, Conjurer Adept, etc.). Multiplayer mill and combo decks adore this card as well.

Broken in multiplayer?  I've not had that experience.  It gets creatures out for free and under counters... maybe it sticks around 15 turns and you sneak out Cthulhu?

Vial and Skullclamp make tribal decks uncounterable with the added ability to not run out of steam. As long as they build their tribal around multiplayer and have ways to avoid or recover from mass removal, they can do very disgusting things.
allgeeksrejoice.com Check out my site for all things geek: D&D, MTG, Anime, Video Games, and more.

A guy in one of my playgroups made an interesting deck with this. Using a rogue theme with Knowledge Exploitation, Earwig Squad, Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Rootwater Thief and some cool other tricks.

I'm personally waiting for Thada Adel, Acquisitor to break through in Neo Mirrodin.  I already have 5 (one of which is foil).  If nothing else, it should be insanely fun against this guy I play with who plays with an Esper Deck half of the time.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

That sounds like crazy fun.

Not only is the Probe able to be built around but it's also tech against Green decks that search for lands or creatures, tutor based decks, or decks that use too many fetchlands.

I've also seen a decklist that used Maralen of the Mornsong. Though as you can imagine, it needed a fair bit of protection, given that you needed to withstand four turns of other players fetching the best answer in their decks.

I've also seen a decklist that used Maralen of the Mornsong. Though as you can imagine, it needed a fair bit of protection, given that you needed to withstand four turns of other players fetching the best answer in their decks.

I love my Maralock Orb deck!

Cool

I'm of the opinion that Maralen of the Mornsong and Boldwyr Heavyweights are kind of in the same boat; unless you plan on abusing them, they're just not worth it.  Every time somebody casts Boldwyr Heavyweights, somebody else will invariably fetch a Shriekmaw or a Nekrataal (in fact, I started packing a single Shriekmaw in my black decks when a friend started using the Heavyweights... well... heavily).
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I'll get to artifacts I like in multiplayer, but for now, a BIG HONKIN WALL O TEXT

Journeyer's Kite has never panned out for me. 

If I'm mono green/half green, and I typically am, I'm not screwing around with that. I'm just not. You already thought of 5 different green cards from 4 mana on down that you would rather play than that card, right? Look at Seek the Horizon. You had no idea what that card did, its from one of the worst sets in the modern era so to speak, you had to click on what it did...

And it did what JK does 3 times for 4 mana. 

Exactly.

Red couldn't really care less about that card, and to me Red is about maximizing every turn, particularly mana. Philosophy Of Fire and all that, but no color moreso than Red.
You'd think that Red, paradoxically, would be a good fit for JK because of that but for that 5 mana I'm getting so much more bang out of my buck with a relevant critter that could also be a mana sink like Arc-Slogger. At 6 mana Red has about a trillion quality flyers, too. I know its dumb, every color has good quality critters at 5 and 6 mana, but Red really wants that critter that can do something too out there.

I haven't tried it out in blue, but I can only imagine I'd get a real bad case of chapped ass activating that for 3 when I could have cast something like Tidings and gone 4 for 1 without tying up mana for the next 4 turns. Permission spells are pretty easy for the table to get around if you can't cast them, huh? 3 mana a turn is an awful lot to ask for a permission deck trying to control a table.

Black, yeah. I could see it working for black. Its got that loyalty thing down where having more than 6 or 7 swamps out there is actually relevant and doesn't have much in the way of getting lands other than paying life to draw cards. Twisted Abomination is such a pimp for that reason.

I could be TOTALLY off base here, but it never worked for me, and I'd like to hear why.

I've never played with it myself, so I can't comment on it in practice.  Generally, though, I like your assessment of it (from an obviously theoretical perspective).  Green and White have better land fetching.  Blue and Black will draw/tutor into it pretty easily.

One thing that I disagree with is your assessment of Red, though.  Red is chock full of X spells, even X creatures.  It seems to me that it'd love the additional land-fetching (given that it's poorly suited to do so on its own merits).
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

I'll get to artifacts I like in multiplayer, but for now, a BIG HONKIN WALL O TEXT

Mmmm.... big honkin' wall o' text...

If I'm mono green/half green, and I typically am, I'm not screwing around with that. I'm just not. You already thought of 5 different green cards from 4 mana on down that you would rather play than that card, right? Look at Seek the Horizon. You had no idea what that card did, its from one of the worst sets in the modern era so to speak, you had to click on what it did...

And it did what JK does 3 times for 4 mana. 

Exactly.

You got me hands down. I had no idea Seek the Horizon even existed.
I expect that Journeyer's Kite is a good card in Limited only. It's similar to Frontier Guide, and believe me when I say I rode that puppy like a cheap horse at the Zendikar prerelease. In casual? I don't think I've even got it in a deck... when you're dueling in a draft format, 3/4 mana for a land is do-able. In casual constructed multiplayer, there are a thousand better options. Especially ones that aren't as prone to removal.

Journeyer's Kite is great in 1 format: EDH. There it can generate decent card advantage and it pretty much demands your opponents to destroy it.

and yes, you got me, I had to check Seek the Horizon and now I want 1 for my green red EDH deck. 
I have a couple of them, but the place where they work best, like helphelpe said, is EDH. I have them in two, very slow, decks, and one of the best things my Borborygmos deck can do is play it on turn 2, activate it 2-3 times, play some threats on turn 5-6, and then start activating it next to playing a fattie each turn (the curve in that deck is built to run from 5 to 8:D). It absolutely rocks.

Outside of EDH, nothing more than a mild success. Sometimes I build a cheap deck on the spot, and in such a case, it is my easiest method of cardadvantage, but in dedicated decklists, I can hardly find the room for it.

I feel old for knowing Seed the Horizon, and having played with it in limited... But I do think JK is better, because it might get you more than that amount, and easily so. It is never a threat in my group, like Cadaverous described.
I feel old for knowing Seek the Horizon, and having played with it in limited... But I do think JK is better, because it might get you more than that amount, and easily so. It is never a threat in my group, like Cadaverous described.

Your not old, just knowledgeable! I also played a lot of limited during Kamigawa block but that card just didn't stick in my mind...
Sign In to post comments