Having trouble with a ranger in my group - advice please

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Our party is as follows: Ranger, Fighter/Warlord hybrid (me), Battlemind, Cleric, and Rogue.

The Ranger's stats are ridiculous. He never misses any attacks. About three weeks ago, I created a Deva Shaman.. and the "ranger" was the DM (we take turns) and he killed off my character because he hated it so much. His reasoning was "when would we realistically ever run into a Deva??" 

..Um... i thought this was a FANTASY world? Christ.

He gave me a big lecture saying that playing anything aside from a human or an elf is wrong because it makes the game either too easy, or too unrealistic.

My thoughts are, he loves being the brute. He loves having the most strength, and the biggest attacks. Last week while gaming, he came out and told all of us that the rest of the party could run into the bushes because he could just win the fight without us. 

I'm sick of being told what characters to create, and what's "realistic" for D&D .. I was about to roll a Bullywug.. just because it seemed interesting.. until he started complaining about it. But he wants to turn his Ranger into an Ox because he thinks it'll be cool.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on how to deal with someone like this?
Your problem isn't with the ranger...it's with the player.

You should really post this in "What's a player to do?" or "What's a DM to do?"

This area is for 4e character developement. Your post doesn't apply.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
But let's handle it anyway. 

I'd say first thing, try having a talk with the player.  it is the player that's the problem here.  Tell him he's seriously cramping your fun, and it's not cool.  Maybe remind him that it's a game, and the goal is for everyone to have fun.  If you wanna run a deva or a bullywug, and everyone else is cool with it, he needs to Man Up and stop being a bitch.   You might try being nicer than I am in this post(I am an ass).  If he's not receptive to this kind of thing, you have two basic options.  One is putting up with him.  This has hampered your fun considerably so far, and will probably continue to do so.  The other is to evaluate your group.  Which players share his basic ideas on these problematic matters?  Are most of them thinking, "Wow, this guy is kind of abrasive." or are they thinking, "F your deva."?  If they are thinking he is overboard in his opinions re: race/class choices, talk to them and maybe you could all sit him down and say, "Hey, everyone needs to have fun, let that happen."  if he can't get the idea, maybe you could get him ostracized and kicked out.  Harsh thing to do, but I've done it before, and sometimes if one player's expectations from the game and the group are that incompatible than everyone else's, it's the best thing for the group as a whole.  On the other hand, if most of them think you are silly for wanting to play a deva, and they back him in these matters, maybe you should begin quietly looking for a new group.  Some groups are ok with rampant asshattery, and that's not for everyone.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I couldn't have said it better myself, Padhalik. I would also add that every race, deva included, has canon fluff for a reason. They do fit in the world of D&D, and its entirely reasonable to think you would see one. 

Just from what you're said above, it sounds like you're dealing with a class 5 douche. If one of my group were to kill my character because they didn't like the race I was playing, I would probably get up and leave. That's not very helpful, but if you were uncertain as to the level of douchebagery going on, its a pretty dangerous amount. 
Wow...you put up with a lot more than I do.

I usually deal with dicks (your case here...the guy is a world class dick) early and swiftly.

The moment you tolerate that behavior, they feel it's okay, it's not.  It's never okay.  If they don't want to change there out, simple as that.  Nobody needs someone like that in their life, so kick him out of yours. 

I've personnally punched a guy for being a douchebag at one of my games, but that may be extreme...but snide comments about the wife will get you that when you sit in my house.
As others have said, talk to the dick, though it probably wont do any good.  The other thing is to, at the very least there needs to be an accord when the dick is DM.  If he has issues with races, classes, whatever that needs to me addressed before you guys start making characters.  If he doesn't want people playing anything but humans and elves(and that alone would make me not play in his game), then that's something he should tell you so you don't go making a character that he's just going to kill because he doesn't like.

Kinda curious though as to why he feels everything but human and elf are ridiculous or overpowered.  It's probably just because he doesn't want to be showed up by more interesting race/class combos and it would make him dull and not the front liner.

Then in terms of his ranger that seems to be too good to be true, they probably are.  If your the DM for that game then ask to see his character because you feel something isn't right.  Or tell the DM your suspicions and ask the DM to look into it.  I mean I don't know about other people, but if I suspected a player of cheating on their stats I would ask to see their character and work out everything for myself to double check it.  Even if I was wrong, I'd still do it to make sure and if a DM thought that of my character I wouldn't mind showing them either to clear suspicions.

Then in terms of his ranger that seems to be too good to be true, they probably are.  If your the DM for that game then ask to see his character because you feel something isn't right.  Or tell the DM your suspicions and ask the DM to look into it.  I mean I don't know about other people, but if I suspected a player of cheating on their stats I would ask to see their character and work out everything for myself to double check it.  Even if I was wrong, I'd still do it to make sure and if a DM thought that of my character I wouldn't mind showing them either to clear suspicions.

We had a player who used to fudge his rolls A LOT. It got to the point where anytime he would roll a die, he would be snatching it back up almost as quickly as it hit the table. This isn't the same thing that we're discussing, but it has the same effect: The rest of the party feels out-shined. D&D is a team game, plain and simple. If this dick feels the need to break his character, and then go so far as to tell the rest of the party to "go sit on the bench, I got this," then he has no business playing D&D.

I'd definitely find out what the other players think about the views this guys holds.  If they think the exact same way then it might be time to find a new group.  If they don't then you should call this guy out on his BS.  Be polite about it but also be firm.

Sadly being straightforward with this guy may not work. 

I'd also want to see his character sheet.  I have players that hit a lot but I also have seen their character sheets and know they aren't cheating with stats. 

I get the feeling that I would truly hate this guy if he were in my game.  If it is ruining your fun then you need to do something about it.  Otherwise you'll just end up hating DnD and that would suck.
If you have a sypathetic DM you can restart or modify the campain so each class fits in well with the background. Maybe you could go to a area where angels are common because their is a great big portal to the upper planes their.
Not to be unkind but why not let him go it by himself. I mean hey he says he has this so send him ahead and let him take the damage. It won't take long for him to realise the importance of a "Team" effort as even a good ranger has their weaknesses and those come out when they are stuck alone.

Play a Deva again, and again, and again, become a freaking "Kenny" who dies every game session and claim he is cursed to watch the rangers exploits since he is so awesome! When the ranger gets fed up explain its better to play a Deva than a Diva. Make sure to not waste any gold on equipment since he will die anyways, instead pay the other players your starting 500 GP to not heal the ranger since he is too awesome to need any healing after battle. Cheer the ranger on when he is trying to be stealthy like a total fanboy. Maybe he will get the idea after only one game, if not choose powers that affect every creature in a burst and keep targeting creatures near the ranger.
Play a Deva again, and again, and again, become a freaking "Kenny" who dies every game session and claim he is cursed to watch the rangers exploits since he is so awesome! When the ranger gets fed up explain its better to play a Deva than a Diva. Make sure to not waste any gold on equipment since he will die anyways, instead pay the other players your starting 500 GP to not heal the ranger since he is too awesome to need any healing after battle. Cheer the ranger on when he is trying to be stealthy like a total fanboy. Maybe he will get the idea after only one game, if not choose powers that affect every creature in a burst and keep targeting creatures near the ranger.

This is not a good suggestion.  For one thing: D&D *is* a team game, even if not everyone wants to play on a team.  If you can't get the player to see reason, then exclude him from play, plain and simple.  When he shows up, tell him that his character is no longer required in the game world.
This guy sounds like a jerk.  I would just remove him from your group and find another person.  And if you're worried about hurting his feelings by doing this, don't be.  He's obviously already hurt yours and the rest of the party's.  If you want to work with him, pull him aside and explain that this is a fantasy world, and whatever setting you are in (Eberron, LFR, Dark Sun, custom, etc) has its own rules.  Those rules say that deva are just as likely to walk the earth as elves or humans.  If everyone else is a human or elf, voila, your deva fits into the fluff.  Deva are rare to see (but not unheard of!).  Out of a group of 5, there is 1 deva. 

As for the character itself, unfortunately, he is most likely NOT fudging the rolls or cheating on his character sheet.  There are some ridiculous ranger builds out there.  He probably built it as a cookie-cutter optimized build, and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it can get boring and frustrating for the DM when he's dealing half the big boss's hit points in one attack.  If you can work through the personality issues, the next step is to get whoever is DMing to start fudging the numbers.  Start throwing things in there like, "Oh, he's bloodied now.  As a free action, he heals back to full."  DMs are expressly given the power to do stuff like this to make the game more fun for everyone.  We have one of these crazy overpowered rangers in our group.  Sometimes, his 33 vs AC will miss and the next person's 33 vs AC will hit.  Or, the boss will inflict a devastating save ends status effect (blind for ranged rangers, immobilize for chargers, etc) on only the ranger with a power that doesn't really exist.  It's all down to making sure that everyone has a chance to get a poke in at the enemies.

Wow Serraphi the stuff you do in your group isn't alright at all. I mean, doing stuff like this is pretty much the same thing as killing a PC because you don't like his racial choice (like in the example of the OP).

Does this guy still play with you?

Even if his PC is way more optimized than your other PC's in the group, don't punish him for doing what is fun for him and most importantly: don't make his choices meaningless by negating his damage (bloodied monster heals up to full hp again) / actions. The DM has all the tools to change the rules and make the game fun for ALL players (yes that includes your ultra-optimized powergamer's ranger too).

I'd rather use monsters like swarms (resist half damage from melee / ranged attacks) and higher level monsters that solely concentrate on your ranger (try a lvl of your ranger + 5 soldier for a nasty fight) to make the game fun for him AND all the others.

Rejoice in the power of your swing in battle, the sound of your weapon smiting a worthy foe, and the challenge of the fray. - Haela Brightaxe

Wow Serraphi the stuff you do in your group isn't alright at all. I mean, doing stuff like this is pretty much the same thing as killing a PC because you don't like his racial choice (like in the example of the OP).

Even if his PC is way more optimized than your other PC's in the group, don't punish him for doing what is fun for him and most importantly: don't make his choices meaningless by negating his damage (bloodied monster heals up to full hp again) / actions. The DM has all the tools to change the rules and make the game fun for ALL players (yes that includes your ultra-optimized powergamer's ranger too).

I'd rather use monsters like swarms (resist half damage from melee / ranged attacks) and higher level monsters that solely concentrate on your ranger (try a lvl of your ranger + 5 soldier for a nasty fight) to make the game fun for him AND all the others.

And when the ranger gets dropped and suddenly the soldier starts going for the rest of the party, who die in one or two hits?  Or when the rest of the non-optimized party has to roll an 18-20 to even hit the soldier's defenses? Or the rest of the players are only doing half the damage of the ranger's halved damage on the swarms?  What then?

Upping the difficulty of the monsters makes it rough for everyone involved, not just the ranger.  If you throw that soldier in and design it to give the ranger trouble, what happens when the fighter walks up and marks it?  And how is that fun for the rest of the party?  You may as well have two separate combats: ranger vs. soldier, and rest of the party vs. little monsters to keep them busy.  You may as well just have the rest of the party sit out, like the ranger suggested.

Adjusting the stats or abilities of the monsters fluidly is where the finesse of being a DM comes in.  The trick in this is to not harass a player's character because you don't like it or think it's too powerful.  The trick is to make it fun for everyone, and if the ranger is dropping your monster that has 300 hp in two or three hits (has happened to me) and no one else gets a hit, that's boring for everyone.  You have to adjust and fudge the numbers and skills so that no one knows you're doing it.  Oh, the 300 hp golem just got dropped?  Two more appear from the shadows!  While technically at that point you're messing with the exp earned per encounter, I personally believe that the game should be about more than levelling.

Bottom line: if you want to play a game where the monsters' abilities and stats are set in stone, and your prime motivation is levelling, play an MMO.  If you're more interested in the experience and the character development, D&D is where you go.

Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Oh come on...

What you suggested may be alright for your group, but changing monster stats on the fly depending on who is attacking the monster is just ridiculous... Doing this makes player choices completely unimportant! It doesn't matter if you have 2 optimized strikers in your group dishing out severe damage or 2 non-optimized leaders encountering the very same group of enemies then, because for your strikers your monsters will have like triple (or more) hp and better defenses than for said leaders.

This bogs down to "I don't care what class / race / feat / power / action I'm going to choose because we will end every encounter after 4 rounds".

See the problem?

I'm far from saying that you shouldn't adjust SOME things on the fly, but having monsters change their defenses depending on who is attacking them is very very unfun and frustrating. Those who have better attack-rolls (and so on) will feel treated unfairly and those who have the worse stats will feel as though you have to help them to overcome even the simplest encounters. And you can't tell me that your players don't realize that player A missed with 33 vs AC and player B hits with the same roll. oO

Of course the idea with the swarm / high-lvl soldier was just an example and it might not work out for every party composition (and you can't throw said monsters at your party all the time or things will get really stale). I think players have to accept the fact that there are heroes who are even MORE heroic than others and most players don't care. In the end it's not the numbers that make PC's heroic, it's their actions and if you give others the chance to shine (by making THEIR decisions meaningful and providing surroundings where only THEY can do what is necessary) no amount of through-the-roof-dpr can make them feel useless.

Rejoice in the power of your swing in battle, the sound of your weapon smiting a worthy foe, and the challenge of the fray. - Haela Brightaxe
Just as a side note is there a creature that has a +# defence to ranged attacks, then if you wanted something to take the ranger on and still be fairly neutral to the rest of the party you could use that?

I don't fancy the idea of making monsters just to crush a certain player but in this case it could be good to remind him of the benefit of Team Play as thats what this whole game is about.

Thanks

Scyther
Just as a side note is there a creature that has a +# defence to ranged attacks, then if you wanted something to take the ranger on and still be fairly neutral to the rest of the party you could use that?

Or, you know, you can make single target damage largely irrelevant.  Minions, or otherwise employing large numbers of enemies.  Maybe the creature has high AC, but its other defenses are much lower?  Or perhaps you create a creature the players need to make some use of vulnerabilities against.  Maybe it has an attack that recharges avery couple of round unless it takes fire damage, resetting the recharge timer?

Again, party composition is important.  Depending on what classes the party has, there are different ways to highlight everyone, making the encounters more suited to the other members of the group than to the rangers high single target damage (which he can spread, sure, and then has low damage to a couple of targets.)
Not to be unkind but why not let him go it by himself. I mean hey he says he has this so send him ahead and let him take the damage. It won't take long for him to realise the importance of a "Team" effort as even a good ranger has their weaknesses and those come out when they are stuck alone.

Not a bad idea, just let him get his ass kicked.  I don't about some DMs, but I know that our DMs will "pull punches" so to speak with monsters.  Sometimes not playing them to their fullest because then the party could get jacked.  So if this nimrod wants to be the only one fighting, let him and kick the crap outta him.  Just have the monsters surround him and destroy him.  If the party brings him back, or you choose to, and he does it again keep wiping him off the map till he understands.  Go so far as to cheat in small ways if you really must, just to put him in his place.

And when the ranger gets dropped and suddenly the soldier starts going for the rest of the party, who die in one or two hits?  Or when the rest of the non-optimized party has to roll an 18-20 to even hit the soldier's defenses? Or the rest of the players are only doing half the damage of the ranger's halved damage on the swarms?  What then?

Upping the difficulty of the monsters makes it rough for everyone involved, not just the ranger.  If you throw that soldier in and design it to give the ranger trouble, what happens when the fighter walks up and marks it?  And how is that fun for the rest of the party?  You may as well have two separate combats: ranger vs. soldier, and rest of the party vs. little monsters to keep them busy.  You may as well just have the rest of the party sit out, like the ranger suggested.

Adjusting the stats or abilities of the monsters fluidly is where the finesse of being a DM comes in.  The trick in this is to not harass a player's character because you don't like it or think it's too powerful.  The trick is to make it fun for everyone, and if the ranger is dropping your monster that has 300 hp in two or three hits (has happened to me) and no one else gets a hit, that's boring for everyone.  You have to adjust and fudge the numbers and skills so that no one knows you're doing it.  Oh, the 300 hp golem just got dropped?  Two more appear from the shadows!  While technically at that point you're messing with the exp earned per encounter, I personally believe that the game should be about more than levelling.

Bottom line: if you want to play a game where the monsters' abilities and stats are set in stone, and your prime motivation is levelling, play an MMO.  If you're more interested in the experience and the character development, D&D is where you go.

Or maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

I've optimized my classes to do there best at whatever they're doing before, and if I make an attack against an AC that misses, but my opponent rolled the same attack against the same AC, I'd probably speak up, and it wouldn't be pretty. Unless there was a discussion on this before the start of the campaign, this is simply unfair and shouldn't happen.

Your example of more golems leaping out of the shadows just made that session about levelling. It messes with the experience, giving out more than what was available that evening.

If you're worried about players just wanting to level and get to epic, and they won't budge from that point, then have evenings where you're role playing mostly, while alloting X amount of experience from role playing your character, and subtracting experience from the group if not everyone is doing there share of role playing, however much it may be. The whole point is to get everyone involved in the session that isn't devoted to dungeon raids and looting corpses.

I'm no DM, but I wouldn't go around changing monster's ACs to tailor a specific character. If the Archer's attacks are against a common AC(armor, Ref, etc) but most other players are attacking Will or Fort AC's, just increase that specific AC slightly to make it more challenging to the Archer. Don't put a specific monster in a fight that's going to just come after the Archer because AOE marks happen, and the defender dies because that monster wasn't supposed to hit the defender.

Even if fights are really fast, you will have more time to do other things, such as adventuring, and role playing, which isn't always about leveling, as you mentioned.
Look, you don't need any of this DM cheating crap that others have told you to do. Here are some options that you consider.

1. Talk to him and ask him to tone it down and let him know he is ruining someone else's fun.
2. Ask him to leave
3. Deal with it in-game. By this I mean, if he wants to fight monsters alone, let him get wiped. Then take his stuff

Seriously though, this is a player issue. If someone killed off another character for a stupid reason like that, I would have sat him down right there and then. He shouldn't be telling people what they can and can not play and then use stupid logic in-game to justify his actions.

I have a question though, what the heck did the DM say when he killed your Deva?
I would say you have issues with not one, but two players.  The guy playing the ranger and yourself.  If you are not DM'ing the game, then talk with the DM about what character types are allowed in the campaign.  If it is to be only a human and elf campaign, then the only encounters you should have are against other humans and elves.  The moment the DM introduces another qualified player race to the campaign as an NPC or encounter, then that race should be available to the players as it is established as existing in the campaign.

If this guys chooses to kill off your non-standard characters when he is holding the mantle of the DM, then insist on running a session, and make sure that as DM you have the campaign arrange for a bounty to be put on the head of the Ranger by one of his many past foes.  His reputation as being able to single handedly take out his opponents has brought the attention of the big boys. 

Make sure he can't go to any civilized area without bounty hunters looking to collect.  It could be a point to have the authorities refuse to interviene on his behalf when facing these bounty hunters.  Then just have a bounty hunter (preferably a Ranger with even better stats (all 20s) and ten additional levels) address the party saying they only want the ranger, the rest of them can go in peace.

The ranger has the choice of fighting the bounty hunter (possibly dying), accepting his capture, or trying to convice the party to bail him out.  The result is even without killing off his character, you can sideline him from the rest of the main adventure while he gets this bounty issue settled with the authorities.  The rest of the party can then adventure while he's cooling his heels out of the action.

Make it a point to DM in the regular rotation, and each time you DM the bounty hunters come to sideline his character again.  If he fights the bounty hunters and wins, then have the local authorities put out a warrant for his arrest (the bounty hunters have friends in high places).  Make it clear that the only way to avoid this unwanted attention is to stop trying to take all the glory from the other players (his reputation is bringing the extra heat).
I would say you have issues with not one, but two players.  The guy playing the ranger and yourself.  If you are not DM'ing the game, then talk with the DM about what character types are allowed in the campaign.  If it is to be only a human and elf campaign, then the only encounters you should have are against other humans and elves.  The moment the DM introduces another qualified player race to the campaign as an NPC or encounter, then that race should be available to the players as it is established as existing in the campaign.

If this guys chooses to kill off your non-standard characters when he is holding the mantle of the DM, then insist on running a session, and make sure that as DM you have the campaign arrange for a bounty to be put on the head of the Ranger by one of his many past foes.  His reputation as being able to single handedly take out his opponents has brought the attention of the big boys. 

Make sure he can't go to any civilized area without bounty hunters looking to collect.  It could be a point to have the authorities refuse to interviene on his behalf when facing these bounty hunters.  Then just have a bounty hunter (preferably a Ranger with even better stats (all 20s) and ten additional levels) address the party saying they only want the ranger, the rest of them can go in peace.

The ranger has the choice of fighting the bounty hunter (possibly dying), accepting his capture, or trying to convice the party to bail him out.  The result is even without killing off his character, you can sideline him from the rest of the main adventure while he gets this bounty issue settled with the authorities.  The rest of the party can then adventure while he's cooling his heels out of the action.

Make it a point to DM in the regular rotation, and each time you DM the bounty hunters come to sideline his character again.  If he fights the bounty hunters and wins, then have the local authorities put out a warrant for his arrest (the bounty hunters have friends in high places).  Make it clear that the only way to avoid this unwanted attention is to stop trying to take all the glory from the other players (his reputation is bringing the extra heat).

The problem I see with that is that you're making him the center of the action, which is basically what he's looking for.  You just reinforced in his mind that he's the most important character in the champaign, and somewhat in the minds of the other players as well.

The issue of him being more optimized and being a jerk about it can be resolved by the DM designing encounters well, so they don't all play to his strengths.  Some of them should, of course, but some should let the other characters shine as well.

As far as him being a d-bag about what other people play while he's DM'ing, I'm afraid only a straight-up in-his-face discussion about that will do any good, and if it doesn't help, I'd suggest that he may not be someone you want to try to play with anymore.

Oh come on...

What you suggested may be alright for your group, but changing monster stats on the fly depending on who is attacking the monster is just ridiculous... Doing this makes player choices completely unimportant! It doesn't matter if you have 2 optimized strikers in your group dishing out severe damage or 2 non-optimized leaders encountering the very same group of enemies then, because for your strikers your monsters will have like triple (or more) hp and better defenses than for said leaders.

This bogs down to "I don't care what class / race / feat / power / action I'm going to choose because we will end every encounter after 4 rounds".

See the problem?

I'm far from saying that you shouldn't adjust SOME things on the fly, but having monsters change their defenses depending on who is attacking them is very very unfun and frustrating. Those who have better attack-rolls (and so on) will feel treated unfairly and those who have the worse stats will feel as though you have to help them to overcome even the simplest encounters. And you can't tell me that your players don't realize that player A missed with 33 vs AC and player B hits with the same roll. oO

Of course the idea with the swarm / high-lvl soldier was just an example and it might not work out for every party composition (and you can't throw said monsters at your party all the time or things will get really stale). I think players have to accept the fact that there are heroes who are even MORE heroic than others and most players don't care. In the end it's not the numbers that make PC's heroic, it's their actions and if you give others the chance to shine (by making THEIR decisions meaningful and providing surroundings where only THEY can do what is necessary) no amount of through-the-roof-dpr can make them feel useless.

Who's to say the ranger didn't make the gaurd an enemy by somehow getting a ruler of a realm PO'd by killing his pet hydra or something similar.  If a good demonstration of how teamwork can save a member of said party by taking on a guy that may very well kill ranger alone couldn't the party demonstrate a better way?

I used to play similar to what's being described for the ranger but a friend of mine let me play through a similar situation to the soldier.  When I'm losing blood and the only one willing to bind my wound is the one that is standing after I took a bad hit and critical failed at the wrong point in time they are the one I depend on to keep me around and vice versa.  He just needs a good in game thrashing by a big monster/gaurd or something to make him realize what's going on.

The swarm (say of goblins/other humanoid) may also be a good way to go. Critical thinking will tell him that he can't deflect all the enemy arrows off the blade of his sword alone.

--Grav
I have a question though, what the heck did the DM say when he killed your Deva?

In the OP, he said he and the ranger took turns DM'ing I believe, and the ranger's player (currently DM) killed off his Deva during gameplay.

Another option I haven't seen yet that surprised me (I may have missed it) is if the ranger is unbalanced in combat, and tells teh others players they can sit out, take out the combat.

Run a couple sessions that are almost purely roleplay/city "encounters" that focus on your skills rather than combat bonuses. He may be able to knock out a giant in one hit, but how is his diplomacy? Or perhaps in your dungeons (while you're DMing) you could install a ton of puzzles and such. Once again, less combat, more of ... everything else.

Perhaps he'd realize (when the party cleric deciphers an ancient riddle with a great Religion check) that he could not have done that. With enough non-combat encounters, he would eventually see the usefulness of each character and not be such a braggart. When it comes to combat, let him boast of his exploits if he wants, for I'm sure when he can't solve a simple child's puzzle and has to rely on everyone else, he'll feel a bit out of place and un-needed.

As in many similar responses: If all else fails, force him out or quit yourself.
Jum,

You're right, there is so much more to DND than just combat.  If an adventure oppourtunity were to come along that placed a cleric or thief in their "element" ie getting a specific item or spell or even a mission to a king with a message that is decidedly unpleasent the ranger may take a step back.
Personally, I would have another approach to this problem. I would try to bring the "fight" to a whole new level.

It depends on how far you are in the campain, and how well established it is, or if you guys are making it up on the go.

When it came to my turn to DM, I would make the world.

Map, continents, oceans, Provinces, Cultures, cities, hot points, key economic areas, and make fliers, notes, showing everything. Hand out a map to every character. Unless the douche decides to wipe the planet, you got him trapped.

Make a main city leader a vengeful deva =p

I can churn all this out in about a day at most, but I have a few years of experience.

Cant beat destruction by being destructive. But if you can Create more then he can destroy, then you win.
Good Luck & Have Fun (Gamer's Creedo)
I think a lot of peole missed a serious point here.  Regardless of the fact that the thread starter is a kind of wuss, the antagonist is an out and out grade A dick.

Kill his ranger.  He only understands abuse.  when its your turn to DM, start the session with him by his lonesome, doing something rangery and drop a meteorite on his paper mach'e ego.
 No save, no warning, no survival.  Do not make it fun for him!  Do not let him get off some power to move his OP toon away.
When he is looking at his charcater in that wierd "say it ain't so" kind a way, tell him to take a freaking hike.  If your the minority in the party and they like this kind of B.S.  pick up your stuff and walk away.  You can ALWAYS find another group.  People play D&D in Nome, Alaska!

If you think i'm being harsh, I am.  But some people take out their Real life aggressions on their 'friends', and unless you want to work at a burger king all your life and pay for a shrink to tell you that you have self worth issues, you need to kick this schmuck in the proverbial balls and fast.

Or, you can let him kill your toons over and over again, mock you, and make your life miserable, while your trying to play a game.

Man up.  Or Deva up, whatever.  Just do it.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Sign In to post comments