Red Sun Legionnaire Level 30 Pal'lock

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Red Sun Legionnaire Level 30 Pal'lock
This build is designed primarily as a defender...with a few features that allow it to reach striker damage levels when required.  This is also my first attempt a putting together a defender outside of a fighter...so feedback is appreciated.

Defender Attributes
- Divine Challenge (with Mark of Warding for a -3 to hit allies) Damage = 12(4+Cha)+10(Rad Vuln)+7(Pelor's Boon-Con)+5(Symbol)=34
- Protective Hex (-2 to hit allies against enemy I attack that is cursed)
- Weakening Challenge (If target takes damage from Divine Challenge, it is weakened on the triggering attack)
- Virtuous Strike - +2 saving throw...keeps you moving and alive to protect your friends...this is also you MBA

Damage Increase Attributes (DPR hangs around 36 for Dire Radiance and 45 for Virtuous Strike)
- Crimson Fire (d10 to Warlocks curse if marked)
- Crimson Legionnaire (+2 damage with Paladin abilities against curse enemy)
- Hellfire Blood (for Dire Radiance)
- Paladin's Truth (to cut through resistance and immunities)

Dire Radiance Protection (Catch 22)
Simple concept - Get near the person you (or group) want to defend, Divine Challenge and hit with Dire Radiance.  The enemy now has to take damage just to approach the target you are defending.  If it chose to go somewhere else (away from you) and attack, it will take damage from your sanction.

Crown of Stars...Hit the Damage Button)
*Credit goes to thomas.j.theobald for developing the idea
**This build can use this power 2 times per day in epic tier (Once per normal daily, Second Student of the Athanaeum).

Turn 1:  Curse & Cast Crown of Stars (apply Radiant Vulnerabilty from Morninglord or Virtuous Strike if not already there)+Hellfire Hex adds 5 Ongoing to Warlock Daily...this is cumulative
         Damage = 2d12+1d10+32+3d10  (Damage Roll, Holy Avg, Static Damage, Curse)  *+10 if Radiant Vulnerable
Turn 2:  Sustain Minor Damage + Curse Damage (Hellfire Hex adds 5 Ongoing to Warlock Daily...this is cumulative)...Radiant Vulnerability adds 10 more
         Damage = 3d10+8+10+5 (Curse, Cha, Rad Vuln,Hellfire Hex)
Turn 3 & Beyond:  Repeat...if they save...they will take a final burst of damage from Icy Clutch of Stygia, then you can hit them again with the sustain minor and the process continues

This leaves your standard action and move/minor free to pound the same target or another AND act like a defender without worring about damage.

Open Options
Here are some additional feats that could be added to change the flavor:
Secrets of Belial:  Plenty of interesting powers out there to steal
Superior Implement and DIS:  this would increase your DPR, but drop your AC (no shield)
Blood Pact of Cania:  Would help out your DPR for Dire Radiance...but really, this builds needs +'s to attack, not damage
Starfire Womb:  This is one I struggle to fit in but couldn't - save after radiant or fear...almost every attack is this!
Persistant Challenge:  This is the other I struggled to fit in...this helps keeping the mark longer if you cannot engage.

Level 30 Build
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Pal'lock 30, level 30
Tiefling, Paladin|Warlock, Morninglord, Demigod
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Reflex
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Rod)
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Charisma
Divine Spark: Divine Spark Constitution

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 26, Dex 15, Int 15, Wis 12, Cha 28.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 46 Fort: 43 Reflex: 43 Will: 44
HP: 184 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +31, Intimidate +29, Arcana +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Diplomacy +24, Dungeoneering +16, Endurance +21, Heal +16, History +17, Insight +16, Nature +16, Perception +16, Religion +17, Stealth +17, Streetwise +24, Thievery +15, Athletics +13

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 4: Power of the Sun (retrained to Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade) at Level 11)
Level 6: Crimson Fire
Level 8: Versatile Expertise
Level 10: Crimson Legionnaire
Level 11: Hellfire Hex
Level 12: Icy Clutch of Stygia
Level 14: Protective Hex
Level 16: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Robust Defenses at Level 21)
Level 18: Hellfire Blood
Level 20: Armor Specialization (Plate)
Level 21: Student of the Athanaeum
Level 22: Mark of Warding
Level 24: Warding Curse
Level 26: Weakening Challenge
Level 28: Epic Reflexes
Level 30: Paladin's Truth

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Dire Radiance
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Crown of Stars
Hybrid utility 2: Ethereal Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Hybrid daily 5: Name of Might
Hybrid utility 6: Wrath of the Gods
Hybrid encounter 7: Pain to Pleasure
Hybrid daily 9: Feast of Souls
Hybrid utility 10: Vengeful Vigilance
Hybrid encounter 13: Entangling Smite (replaces Valorous Smite)
Hybrid daily 15: True Nemesis (replaces Name of Might)
Hybrid utility 16: Divine Aegis
Hybrid encounter 17: Unholy Glee (replaces Delban's Deadly Attention)
Hybrid daily 19: Wrath of Acamar (replaces Feast of Souls)
Hybrid utility 22: Failure is No Option
Hybrid encounter 23: Demand Respect (replaces Entangling Smite)
Hybrid daily 25: Discipline the Unruly (replaces Wrath of Acamar)
Hybrid encounter 27: Hellfire Fury (replaces Pain to Pleasure)
Hybrid daily 29: Doom of Delban (replaces True Nemesis)

ITEMS
Shield of Protection Heavy Shield (paragon tier), Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (heroic tier), Holy Avenger Longsword +6, Bloodiron Godplate Armor +6, Cloak of Distortion +6, Eye of Awareness (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Siberys Shard of Radiance (epic tier), Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Boots of Caiphon (epic tier), Ring of Protection (paragon tier), Magic Accurate rod +6, Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Symbol of the Champion's Code +5, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities. Psalm 141:5 Let the Righteous smite me...Infernal Warlock Build Red Sun Legionnaire...Paladin/Warlock Hybrid Build
Edited to change Epic Destiny to Demigod...stat bonus to Cha and Con really helped the accuracy of the build.  Also, the Archspell destiny converted my daily into an encounter...which ruined the Hellfire Hex synergy.
Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: for yet my prayer also shall be in their calamities. Psalm 141:5 Let the Righteous smite me...Infernal Warlock Build Red Sun Legionnaire...Paladin/Warlock Hybrid Build
Very cool stuff - I really like the Catch-22 effect - wish I had one of these guarding my flanks against the BBEGs ).

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?