Just Checkin on DDi Status

189 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone, I tried the search option, but there have been so many posts about this crap that I wasn't sifting through them all, so just a simple update would be appreciated.

I used to have a DDi subscription, for a year until last february. I had mainly ordered it so I could use the gametable, and the mapmaker, so I could play online with my friends. Obviously that never happened, so I didn't renew, and I pretty much haven't looked back since. But someone asked me the other day if I still played, and it got me thinking. Has wizards done, or announced anything in regards to the gametable, and mapmaker tools that they had originally promised.

~~Inappropriate content removed~~
WotC is sticking to its abnnouced plan of only announcing things when they are ready to be released. Since the release of the Monster Builder last year, they have not given any indication to the public as to what the next tool is going to be.

Paulo M, one of the DDI heads, has said that there is a bunch of cool stuff that they are working on, but that they just can't tell us about yet, so take that for what it's worth.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
Basically, they still have nothing, and are still trying to lure as many suckers as possible into forking out cash for something that they might have coming out...sometime....later....after their subscription has run out, and they need to renew.

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, not on your life

Thanks for the info Mudbunny, you always were one of the most helpful people here. Smile
Nothing like insulting Wizards as well as the customers who find great value in DDI.

Celebrate our differences.

Well said, Dreadmage. WOTC is in turn insulting customer by staying silent on the future DDi tool for so long. 
Basically, they still have nothing, and are still trying to lure as many suckers as possible into forking out cash for something that they might have coming out...sometime....later....after their subscription has run out, and they need to renew.

Only one problem with your statement. WotC has *never* asked people to pay for things that are coming soon. People have always paid for what is out, not for what WotC is working on.

Well said, Dreadmage. WOTC is in turn insulting customer by staying silent on the future DDi tool for so long. 

Saying "we can't tell you anything right now, but we are working on stuff" != staying silent

Anyone who has been paying *any* amount of attention over the past couple of years to DDI knows that the WotC MO with respect to the DDI tools is that information is released when the tool that is being worked on is ready to release.
WotC is sticking to its abnnouced plan of only announcing things when they are ready to be released. Since the release of the Monster Builder last year, they have not given any indication to the public as to what the next tool is going to be.

Paulo M, one of the DDI heads, has said that there is a bunch of cool stuff that they are working on, but that they just can't tell us about yet, so take that for what it's worth.

I agree that promising too much and revealing too much was a mistake, but the current policy (not revealing anything until finished) doesn't seem to be working. We've been getting bi-weekly posts on the subject for over a year with no word on DDI's continuation or cancellation.
Silence until completion would work fine with shorter projects (under six months) or a little longer if the existing products were regularly updated with new features. 

There has to be a middle ground. WotC is relying entirely on fan and brand loyalty, hoping that we'll keep financing the product on a monthly basis. We should be kept a little more in the loop, informed of what they're doing and how far along they are but with actual details and features left vague. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

While I can't tell you what is coming, I have been told bits and pieces about what is coming down the tubes, both short-term and long-term, and it is AWESOME!!

<- Loves his NDA.
Mudbunny, can you at least say one way or another if WOTC is planning on telling the public at Gen Con this weekend?
I have no idea what they are planning on talking about at GenCon.
Paolo already announced (answering your direct question) that this information could not be shared.

I agree that promising too much and revealing too much was a mistake, but the current policy (not revealing anything until finished) doesn't seem to be working. We've been getting bi-weekly posts on the subject for over a year with no word on DDI's continuation or cancellation.
Silence until completion would work fine with shorter projects (under six months) or a little longer if the existing products were regularly updated with new features. 

There has to be a middle ground. WotC is relying entirely on fan and brand loyalty, hoping that we'll keep financing the product on a monthly basis. We should be kept a little more in the loop, informed of what they're doing and how far along they are but with actual details and features left vague. 

Well, the original mess was all of WoTC making. But what they were attempting to do was pretty awesome. I think it sucks they failed.

But lets be honest. Look how some people not only won't forgive and move on, but even have to exaggerate the truth. Why? What's that going to get them? Nothing.

And the DDI tools is really their second screw up in terms of digital tools promised and missed. I wasn't playing for the Master Tools that also never came out. So I have no idea what happened there.

So, two screw ups, an unforgiving customer base (or at least a group of overly vocal people with unreasonable demands, always attempting to stir up resentment against WoTC). What recourse should WoTC take to prevent that? At this point every little hic-up is over reacted to.

If they want to stop pissing off customers, they only have one logical recourse in the actions they take. They can NOT guarentee delivery on any particular product until it's 95% ready to go. Anything could change that is outside of their control.

Even if they miss the date but still come out with it, that will still cause resentment. What they have now, is the only way they can be sure not to cause a third failure.

EDIT: Just wanted to reflect Mudbunny below. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be angry. But what you do with that anger will help determine how a company responds. If a customer makes it harder for a company to try and make that customer happier, then the company will take steps to NOT get put in that situation again.

Just like how if you, as a person screwed up, unintentionally, with a friend, loved one, or co-worker, and they kept bringing it up, you would want to make sure you don't put yourself in that situation again, right?

I just want to add something here.

I am not saying that people have no right to be angry at WotC for missing the original date. I have never said, nor will I ever say that people don't have the right to be disappointed in the plan that WotC is using for the release of the tools.

Your feelings on this are personal to you, and occur as a result of your own personal feelings, biases and experiences. For anyone to say that your feeling is wrong is, well, wrong. The same thing applies for those who aren't particularly bothered by WotC's business plan with respect to DDI.

Something that both sides should keep in mind is that, by posting it on a discussion forum, you are giving people permission to discuss your post and to agree (or disagree) with you. Someone disagreeing with your position should in no way be seen as an attack on you or indicating that your feelings are wrong. (Note, this obviously does not include personal attacks, flaming, etc)

*Note that any usde of you, your, etc in the above post are directed towards a general audience, not aimed at one person in particular.
I feel that WOTC not saying anything about whats coming for DDi for so long is alot of what is making people so upset.  WOTC is making people upset now by not saying anything just like they did 2 years ago when they over promised and did not deliver.  WOTC is just as resposible now as there were back in 2008 for they way people feel.

Even if WOTC came out said "we will say something at Gen Con" That would make people feel like WOTC is trying to touch base with the customers.

I agree with what The_Jester said, there has to be a middle ground between these two extremes.
I feel that WOTC not saying anything about whats coming for DDi for so long is alot of what is making people so upset.  WOTC is making people upset now by not saying anything just like they did 2 years ago when they over promised and did not deliver.  WOTC is just as resposible now as there were back in 2008 for they way people feel.

Even if WOTC came out said "we will say something at Gen Con" That would make people feel like WOTC is trying to touch base with the customers.

I agree with what The_Jester said, there has to be a middle ground between these two extremes.

KM, you were upset that they hyped it and then couldn't deliver. You won't stop going on about. Your whole point has been that they talked up DDI before launch TO MUCH. And because they did, people were defrauded and lied and cheated and scammed with a bait and switch.

So, after you've spent two years beating it into WoTC's head how horrible they are, after all the accusations you've laid at their feet.

Your basically complaining because of what? That they don't want to give you another oppurtunity to call them names and raise a stink?

A. People choose how to react.  Wizards is not "responsible" for other people's actions or reactions.
B. There just aren't all that many people truly upset.  Wizards cannot be worried about appeasing a handful (read: small percentage) of customers by their actions.  They will act in the best interest of the majority of customers, who currently fall somewhere between happy and content.
C. WotC HAS been touching base with their customers.  Most people can see that based solely on the fact of Microbless's new job and PaoloM's recent activity in these forums.  They are reaching out.  Some things are just never good enough for some people.  The honus is on those people, not WotC.

KM, you were upset that they hyped it and then couldn't deliver. You won't stop going on about. Your whole point has been that they talked up DDI before launch TO MUCH. And because they did, people were defrauded and lied and cheated and scammed with a bait and switch.

So, after you've spent two years beating it into WoTC's head how horrible they are, after all the accusations you've laid at their feet.

Your basically complaining because of what? That they don't want to give you another oppurtunity to call them names and raise a stink?

As Mudbunny has said, these are peoples personel feelings on what happened.  If WOTC can't take people giving negitive critisisim about them on there own site and basically they decide not to tell the public anything about whats planned for DDi, then WOTC has more issues then trying to get out more tools for DDi. 

As Mudbunny has said, these are peoples personel feelings on what happened.  If WOTC can't take people giving negitive critisisim about them on there own site and basically they decide not to tell the public anything about whats planned for DDi, then WOTC has more issues then trying to get out more tools for DDi. 

Personal feelings and negative criticism are one thing.

Accusing them of crimes (bait and switch and fraud) is another. Twisting the facts is another. You have spent your time doing just that, accusing them and twisting the facts, all in some attempt to get people upset.

And even when proof is given that you are wrong about your facts, you refuse to acknowledge it. Which to me means you are doing it on purpose and goes way past your personal feelings.

You aren't just upset, you are seeking some kind of revenge.

And then you go on about how great Piazo is. Which is why people think your just a shill for that company.
While I can't tell you what is coming, I have been told bits and pieces about what is coming down the tubes, both short-term and long-term, and it is AWESOME!!

<- Loves his NDA.

i know you cant say anything about content but could you guesstimate as to a timing of a release for whatever it is?

And you should finish Mudbunny's thoughts rather than just paraphrasing the part that suits you...

you are giving people permission to discuss your post and to agree (or disagree) with you

I feel that WOTC not saying anything about whats coming for DDi for so long is alot of what is making people so upset.  WOTC is making people upset now by not saying anything just like they did 2 years ago when they over promised and did not deliver. 

sigh

WotC is not "not saying anything". They have said something. They have said (paraphrased) "we are working on the next tool, and we will tell you what it is when it is ready." That is not "saying nothing". They are saying something, and they say it quite regularly. However, it is not what people want to hear.

Complain about WotC not telling you information all you want, but don't say that they haven't said anything, because they have.

As for two years ago, well, they did announce about 3-4 weeks prior to the launch of 4E that the DDI tools wouldn't be ready. It was up on the front page, and I had a thread about it stickied on the old DDI forums. Then, in the fall of 2008, they (I think that it might have been Bill S who posted, but it also might have been Scott Rouse) apologized for over promising and under-delivering.

Now, it is very arguable that they did not do enough to let people know that the tools wouldn't be ready on time. I think they did, as do a lot of other people. You think otherwise, as do a number of people. shrug

WOTC is just as resposible now as there were back in 2008 for they way people feel.

No. WotC is only responsible for making efforts in releasing information. The people who read the news are fully responsible in how they feel.

Keep in mind that WotC is part of a publicly owned corporation. There are laws that state how they can release information. It is not as simple as saying something.

A. People choose how to react.  Wizards is not "responsible" for other people's actions or reactions.

Yes some people like accountability others are OK with vague useless "information".

B. There just aren't all that many people truly upset.  Wizards cannot be worried about appeasing a handful (read: small percentage) of customers by their actions.  They will act in the best interest of the majority of customers, who currently fall somewhere between happy and content.

I would love to see any type of evidence to back up this up.   In fact I would say that anyone who is not currently subscribed and has ever played 4E is evidence that it is not in fact a "small percentage" but rather the majority of the customer base.

I will poll the two groups that play at my FLGS on Wednesday and see how many have DDI subscriptions just to check.

C. WotC HAS been touching base with their customers.  Most people can see that based solely on the fact of Microbless's new job and PaoloM's recent activity in these forums.  They are reaching out.  Some things are just never good enough for some people.  The honus is on those people, not WotC.

Its on those people to do what?  To accept that that's good enough?  Perhaps it is good enough for you, its not good enough for me.   I'm not going to settle for non-existent communication or be happy when I get sub-par communication.   I will continue to push until I am provided with a level of communication that is acceptable.

I would love to see any type of evidence to back up this up.   In fact I would say that anyone who is not currently subscribed and has ever played 4E is evidence that it is not in fact a "small percentage" but rather the majority of the customer base.

I don't need any.  The success and subscription of DDI vs. the number of complaints in this thread is more than enough.  It's up to you to disprove it.

As to the rest of your "points," they are merely subjective viewpoints because everything that they have provided is not good enough for you.  My guess is that it never will be.  And you most certainly don't define what is acceptable to you.

Yes some people like accountability others are OK with vague useless "information".

WotC is directly accountable to people through their subscriptions. People need to decide whether the current business plan by WotC (reveal nothing until tool is all but done), when combined with the tools that are currently out is worth their subscription fees. If it is worth it, great. If not, then they cancel their subscription.

I will poll the two groups that play at my FLGS on Wednesday and see how many have DDI subscriptions just to check.

You are looking at two different audiences here. The potential market for DDI is much smaller than the group of people who have ever played 4E. Just because people play 4E doesn't mean that they are interested in subscribing to DDI.

Its on those people to do what?  To accept that that's good enough?  Perhaps it is good enough for you, its not good enough for me.   I'm not going to settle for non-existent communication or be happy when I get sub-par communication.   I will continue to push until I am provided with a level of communication that is acceptable.

And that is your right.

However, should you wish your voice to be truly heard, your best bet would be to write a letter to WotC or to call them. While a post on a message board will get read by Wotc staff (if not directly, then indirectly when I tell them that people want more info), it will not have anywhere near the weight or impact as an honest-to-goodness letter or a phone call to WotC.

That's not really fair to say WoTC wasn't accountable. Did they blame Raident Light? No, they didn't even mention the company they were paying. Did they blame themselves? Yes they did. Did they ask customers to pay full price for partial tools? No they did not. In fact, they offered a lower intro price, and gave a way to extend that for a whole year.

They went out of their way to try and make up for thier mistakes, since they couldn't go back in time and fix things. That's what being accounatable is all about.

And you most certainly don't define what is acceptable to you.

Actually, he does. Every person gets to decide whether something is acceptable to them. What they don't get to do is to tell others what is acceptable.

People who subscribe now (or renew) are indicating that, overall, they are happy with DDI. That includes the current tools as well as their pleasure (or not, as the case may be) with the current state of WotC communication.

I don't need any.  The success and subscription of DDI vs. the number of complaints in this thread is more than enough.  It's up to you to disprove it.

How are you determining success exactly?

As to the rest of your "points," they are merely subjective viewpoints because everything that they have provided is not good enough for you.  My guess is that it never will be.  And you most certainly don't define what is acceptable to you.

Actually a reasonable timeline of when they would expect to see what would be acceptable.   Now if you are saying they will never provide such a thing and because of that I would never be satisfied then I can't disagree.

Actually, he does. Every person gets to decide whether something is acceptable to them. What they don't get to do is to tell others what is acceptable.

People who subscribe now (or renew) are indicating that, overall, they are happy with DDI. That includes the current tools as well as their pleasure (or not, as the case may be) with the current state of WotC communication.

I wasn't talking in general.  My point was that he hasn't provided us with the guidelines that he is looking for, at least not in his reply to me post.

How are you determining success exactly?

They are still supporting it.  There are tens of thousands of subscribers.  They are still working on future releases.  They view it as something they are, or can, make money off of.

All signs point to it being very successful.

ok, I agree that WOTC has been saying "we are working on new tools and will tell you more when they are ready." is telling the peple something.  They have been  saying that same thing for about a year, since the monster builder came out. When people hear the same thing for so long it makes them wonder whats going on.  Some one else said it looks like all talk no action, I agree.

I guess that's where the difference lies between me and some other posters. While I'm more then willing to allow them to be angry, and say that it's unacceptable, because I can acknowledge that for them, it is.

But where I get tripped up is when they try and take from their opinion to a fact.

It's ok that someone feels that they didn't do enough to get the word out. But they did get the word out, because clearly people knew about it, were able to find the information, and that info is still out there, it hasn't been removed.

So that just means it's a persons opinion not a fact. But saying they hide it and tried to burry it, is a gross distortion of the truth.

Also, some posters are inconsistent or contradict themselves. When that happens, you can't make them happy. KM says WoTC was fraudulent with how they handled DDi. But he then doesn't care if there are laws governing the release of information by a company. He wants to blast them for what he sees as a criminal act, but to break the law where it suites him.

When anyone, not just KM does that, how is a company to respond?
ok, I agree that WOTC has been saying "we are working on new tools and will tell you more when they are ready." is telling the peple something.  They have been  saying that same thing for about a year, since the monster builder came out. When people hear the same thing for so long it makes them wonder whats going on.  Some one else said it looks like all talk no action, I agree.

Ok, good. I totally accept that, and it's a valid point of view. And on some level I agree with you, it's been a while since we've gotten anything new.

However, should you wish your voice to be truly heard, your best bet would be to write a letter to WotC or to call them. While a post on a message board will get read by Wotc staff (if not directly, then indirectly when I tell them that people want more info), it will not have anywhere near the weight or impact as an honest-to-goodness letter or a phone call to WotC.

Point taken I will write a letter.

I already have pointed out what is different.  Please continue to ignore the changes they have made in communicating with the forums and customers in general and still continue on the same bit that nothing is changing.

I do have a DDI account and I like using it but that doesn't mean I am satisfied with the status quo.  I was told that money I put into DDI will help develop future additions to DDI.   Being an investor, I feel like I should be informed in what my investment is being used for and should get the occasional update.  And it will come to point soon that I will withdraw my investment because  I am disappointed in what I've been seeing lately. 

I understand that it's hard when I say things like "'I've been testing something." and "Wait until unnamed product comes out!".

Trevor and I have lots of stuff we would like to tell you, but corporate policy and financial regulations, amongst other reasons, do not permit us to. Since I've started here I've been a huge factor in getting at least something out to you guys. I'd much rather say "I got to look at vague description of tools today" than keep quiet.

I was brought on to listen to the community, report back to my superiors, and report to you guys.

The reason it seems like there's "all talk and no action" is because what we have isn't ready to be viewed by the public yet. Like myself and others have said, we don't want to show something that isn't ready.

Michael Robles Community Manager Wizards of the Coast Twitter: @michaelrobles
All I know is that I'm still sitting here exactly like I was 2 years ago.... with my wallet open and ready to subscribe as soon as I see the one feature I want in DDI become available. (hint: it's the VTT ;) )

No anger. No recriminations. No rage-threats.

I'm here, and I'm ready. I want to use a first-party solution to online gaming. The instant the VTT become a part of DDI, my greedy little fingers will be subscribing.

My fear is that the tools are becoming mired in Duke-Nukem Forever churn. It is a wonderful case study of how a development project can go very, very wrong. It should be required reading for any IT development professionals.

All I know is that I'm still sitting here exactly like I was 2 years ago.... with my wallet open and ready to subscribe as soon as I see the one feature I want in DDI become available. (hint: it's the VTT ;) )

I'm here, and I'm ready. I want to use a first-party solution to online gaming. The instant the VTT become a part of DDI, my greedy little fingers will be subscribing.

My fear is that the tools are becoming mired in Duke-Nukem Forever churn. It is a wonderful case study of how a development project can go very, very wrong. It should be required reading for any IT development professionals.

Even though I defend DDi a lot, I wouldn't get my hopes up on a VTT, any time too soon. It's not as easy to make as people suggest. And WoTC is limited in resources for DDI, because of the economy. And I suspect failure to bring the full vision in a timely manner. Poppa Hasbro most certainly didn't like that.

Even though I defend DDi a lot, I wouldn't get my hopes up on a VTT, any time too soon. It's not as easy to make as people suggest. And WoTC is limited in resources for DDI, because of the economy. And I suspect failure to bring the full vision in a timely manner. Poppa Hasbro most certainly didn't like that.

It goes a little beyond this as well.  Licensing issues could play a part.  Do you only need the DM to be a subscriber?  Or the players as well?  If you have a player that has a subscription, and is the father of two children that play, are they required to be subscribers as well.

The logistics of it can get convoluted pretty quick.  It's a complicated scenario.  Sure, the easy answer is to require subscriptions, but that really puts a lot of players in the dark.  I imagine that they would want to include as many players as possible to have access, otherwise a DM that has the subscription is already handcuffed right out of the gate.

It goes a little beyond this as well.  Licensing issues could play a part.  Do you only need the DM to be a subscriber?  Or the players as well?  If you have a player that has a subscription, and is the father of two children that play, are they required to be subscribers as well.

The logistics of it can get convoluted pretty quick.  It's a complicated scenario.  Sure, the easy answer is to require subscriptions, but that really puts a lot of players in the dark.  I imagine that they would want to include as many players as possible to have access, otherwise a DM that has the subscription is already handcuffed right out of the gate.

My answer to that would either be: bulk rate subscriptions or guest tickets
IIRC back before 4th ed came out, WOTC did say they were going to allow a guest ticket system to have people try out the VTT.  Not sure if that is still planned if the VTT is still in the works.