7/30/2010 TWTW: "Epic Weekend"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
A minor quibble, but can you please refrain from posting WSOP spoilers in articles?  Some of us are watching on TV and won't know who's in the money for a few months yet.

Is Guillaime Wafo-Tapa being investigated for the events at the French National Championship?  He didn't just concede to put Ruel on the team - he also conceded his semi-final to Guillaime Matignon with the stated intent of boosting Matignon to PPC level 5.  That's pretty shameless.
Is Guillaime Wafo-Tapa being investigated for the events at the French National Championship?  He didn't just concede to put Ruel on the team - he also conceded his semi-final to Guillaime Matignon with the stated intent of boosting Matignon to PPC level 5.  That's pretty shameless.

What is there to investigate?  Why is that shameless?  Guillaime Wafo-Tapa was well within the Magic Tournament Rules to concede as he did.

2.4       Conceding or Intentionally Drawing Games or Matches

If a game or match is not completed, players may concede or mutually agree to a draw in that game or match. A match is considered complete once the result slip is filled out or, if match slips are not being used, a player leaves the table after game play is finished. Until that point, either player may concede to or draw with the other, though if the conceding player won a game in the match, the match must be reported as 2-1. Intentional draws are always reported as 0-0-3.

Players may not agree to a concession or draw in exchange for any reward or incentive. Doing so will be considered Bribery (see section 5.2).

If a player refuses to play, it is assumed that he or she has conceded the match.

What is there to investigate?  Why is that shameless?  Guillaime Wafo-Tapa was well within the Magic Tournament Rules to concede as he did.

2.4       Conceding or Intentionally Drawing Games or Matches

If a game or match is not completed, players may concede or mutually agree to a draw in that game or match. A match is considered complete once the result slip is filled out or, if match slips are not being used, a player leaves the table after game play is finished. Until that point, either player may concede to or draw with the other, though if the conceding player won a game in the match, the match must be reported as 2-1. Intentional draws are always reported as 0-0-3.

Players may not agree to a concession or draw in exchange for any reward or incentive. Doing so will be considered Bribery (see section 5.2).

If a player refuses to play, it is assumed that he or she has conceded the match.

You quoted my reason why.  Perhaps I'm getting suspicious in my old age, but when a player concedes a match with the stated aim of having his opponent earn thousands of extra dollars in prizes my hackles raise.  When the same player then concedes another match that will also earn that opponent thousands of dollars, I get downright concerned.  Serial concessions in big money matches at prestigious events are not good for this game.

(Also, Wafo-Tapa is going to look extremely bad if he doesn't show up for Worlds now.  Had he not intended to go, he could either have conceded in the quarter-finals or played for the title in the semis knowing that Ruel was guaranteed to be on the team if he no-showed.)
Sign In to post comments