7/29/2010 TD: "Early Winners"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks Article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Tectonic Edge should not be forgotten as a Sun Titan target, either.
Great Designer Search 2 Finalist - If you're interested in getting involved, check out my Wiki Page.
In the last paragraph, I actually read Tectonic Edge instead of Scalding Tarn, which made more sense.  (Manlands are uncounterable)
Bah humbug. More chase mythics set to dominate standard - give it up for grave and primeval titans. We'll be seeing a lot of these guys.
I hate to say it but I think Sun Titan will also see plenty of play!
"or even the opponent tapping for an expensive planeswalker. Let's see how clever this blue mage is without any lands!"

A blue mage playing a planeswalker...sucks Jace doesn't have a built in ability to remove Realm Razor! Then he'd still be pretty clever.  
Comics Magic #$%! - a sfw blog (at least, there's no nudity!) The blazekite is a simple concept, really - just a vehicular application of dragscoop ionics and electropropulsion magnetronics. Idiot.
"or even the opponent tapping for an expensive planeswalker. Let's see how clever this blue mage is without any lands!"

A blue mage playing a planeswalker...sucks Jace doesn't have a built in ability to remove Realm Razor! Then he'd still be pretty clever.  

Big Jace obviously does have the Unsummon ability, but this is still a losing proposition for the control player.

Say the control player has Jace perform Unsummon for -1 loyalty, all lands come into play tapped, then control plays an untapped plains. Realm Razor guy untaps with 6+ mana available. He can Realm Razor again to continue the pain ... or do something better if he has the option. (Yes, if he Realm Razors again, it might meet Path to Exile ... but that's about the only answer the control player has.)
Mike, there were ten PTQs last weekend (www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/events.as...), plus one Online. Why did you count only six of them?
Yeah... a little lame that you didn't mention the Santa Clara PTQ which was won with a Runeflare trap deck. I suppose that doesn't fit your thesis that Titans are the way to go.
I was also disappointed not to see the Runeflare Trap deck discussed, especially since it's a budget deck. It is on his list of Top 8s, but Santa Clara was overlooked.
Sign In to post comments