Any advice on a Monk build that utilizes Quarterstaff?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am looking for a straight up Monk build (no multi or hybrid) that utilizes the Quarterstaff as the main attack weapon.  I guess I'm looking for feats and such that would compliment such a build.  All the builds and feat selections I see seem to recommend Spear w/ Pointed Steop style, Club w/ Crashing Temptest or some sort of dual dagger/club combo.  The only Staff build I've seen is using Staff of Ruin, which is fine, but what feats would accompany this?

I am looking for a level 1 build (up to level 10) or at least suggestions for feats/power combos.

Only criteria is straight Monk, Centered Breath, Githzerai race and utilizes Quarterstaff.

On a side note, what is best to take for Versatile Expertise for a Monk?  Ki Focus/Unarmed?  Ki focus/Quarterstaff?  Quarterstaff/Unarmed? 

Some key feats:
Superior Implement Training so you can use Accurate Staffs
Weapon Focus (Staff)
Obviously expertise

Some others to consider:
Staff Fighting
Hafted Defense

Someone else who knows monks better can speak to other details.
Some key feats:
Superior Implement Training so you can use Accurate Staffs
Weapon Focus (Staff)
Obviously expertise

Some others to consider:
Staff Fighting
Hafted Defense

Someone else who knows monks better can speak to other details.

These are all pretty good. With Unarmored Agility on top you can build up a nifty +6 bonus to AC before Dexterity or Items.

Daggers and clubs are better in the long run, but I digress. I'd consider wether you want a Staff of Ruin or Iron Armbands of Power. Iron Armbands are better in most cases since most weapon properties beat the living crap off of everything else you can fit into that slot. The Benefit Staff of Ruin has though is that it works on bursts and blasts, which monks have a few of. IF you choose Iron Armbands over the staff, at that point there are a number of things you could do to further optimize. The easiest of which are elemental builds, with frost being classic. Radiant Also works as a third contender in the Ruin vs. Armbands race, and if you pick up a Morninglord along the way, well, you just made a new friend.

Edit: Ah. You said from 1-10. Well, looking at that you really don't have a lot of options. 1-10 is usually the levels you get the "basics," One combo you can eak out though is picking up an Accurate Lightning Staff and Mark of Storms and upping your control. With that you slide 1 on every hit.

Really, just pick up the basics. Agility, Staff Fighting, Hafted Defenses, Accurate Staff, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Expertise and you should be more than competent.
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin