Are the Talenta Weapons Chinese?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there.  I was going through the Eberron Player's Handbook and I came across the weapons section's description of the Talenta weaponry.  I was shocked when reading the description of the weapons to realize they were describing Chinese Weaponry from the early Bronze Age (I'm an Archaeology Student).  I tried to find a picture, but there aren't any!

For isntance, the Talenta Sharrash:
"A weapon from the Talenta Plains, the sharrash features a sickle like blade at the end of a long pole."
This brings to mind the Ge Halberd, also known as the Dagger-axe, pictured here.  Sometimes it would have a Spear Point attached.  The entirety of the weapon would be more than 7 feet long.

Is this what the Sharrash looks like?

Next we have the Talenta Tangat:
"Another weapon from the Talenta Plains, this curved sword is mounted on a short haft."
This brings to mind the Pu Dao, a Chinese Sword used in Gong Fu.  It was also used by soldiers up through the Qing dynasty.

Is this was a Tangat is?

If anyone would like to provide me with official Eberron weaponry Art, I'd be much obliged!
(All pictures and videos were ripped right from the internet Embarassed )
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Looks like you got it pretty spot on, for the Sharrash at least.
Here's the picture from the 3.5 ECS *click* (also includes the Talenta & Drow boomerang and the Valenar double scimitar)
Pretty neat.

I've got all the Eberron art you need mentioned in my sig links.
Hi there.  I was going through the Eberron Player's Handbook and I came across the weapons section's description of the Talenta weaponry.  I was shocked when reading the description of the weapons to realize they were describing Chinese Weaponry from the early Bronze Age (I'm an Archaeology Student).  I tried to find a picture, but there aren't any!

For isntance, the Talenta Sharrash:
"A weapon from the Talenta Plains, the sharrash features a sickle like blade at the end of a long pole."
This brings to mind the Ge Halberd, also known as the Dagger-axe, pictured here.  Sometimes it would have a Spear Point attached.  The entirety of the weapon would be more than 7 feet long.

Is this what the Sharrash looks like?

Next we have the Talenta Tangat:
"Another weapon from the Talenta Plains, this curved sword is mounted on a short haft."
This brings to mind the Pu Dao, a Chinese Sword used in Gong Fu.  It was also used by soldiers up through the Qing dynasty.

Is this was a Tangat is?

If anyone would like to provide me with official Eberron weaponry Art, I'd be much obliged!
(All pictures and videos were ripped right from the internet Embarassed )

Yes, you have it exactly correct.

Looks like you got it pretty spot on, for the Sharrash at least.
Here's the picture from the 3.5 ECS *click* (also includes the Talenta & Drow boomerang and the Valenar double scimitar)

You are forgetting the errata that says that that depiction of the tangat is incorrect.
Wow, I never knew that.
Also, the Pu Dao is one kickass sword.
Cold Steel makes a sword, known as the Chinese War Sword, that was based on the Pu Dao.  They used to also make a less expensive version called the Warlord, iirc.

If one wanted to imagine a straight-bladed version, one could look at Cold Steel's two-handed katana machete.

The "sickle" described for the sharrash would be more like a kama than a curved European sickle.

Note:  I reference the above items as examples, not to advertise for any particular company.