7/26/2010 Feature: "Magic in Motion"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Just a word of advice on the security issue. If you have a deck with all or many foils, don't try and take it through airport security. It's at least as bad as the foil-wrapped booster packs.
Rules Nut Advisor
I was bringing a couple booster boxes back with me from SCG Seattle a few months ago; they wouldn't both fit into my checked bag, so I had to take one in my carry-on backpack. I was watching the security woman at the x-ray machine in SeaTac airport, and could tell exactly when she reached my backpack. She did a double take, and had a perfect "What the hell is that?" expression on her face before bringing it back through the machine for a second go. Needless to say, it was pulled to be searched manually.

The security guy who actually did the search didn't open up the box--he seemed satisfied almost as soon as he saw what it was, so maybe he's come across players or Wizards employees with Magic stuff in their carry-ons before. But I can definitely see how you could get pulled aside and asked some rather pointed questions if the guard doesn't know what Magic is.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

So am I seriously expected to believe anyone carries around three boosters and 85 basic lands on the off chance of an impromtu draft on a plane?
I'm sorry, but if I'm flying anywhere I'd much rather look out of the window than play a card game. :P
I think flying would be a little cramped (and yes I've flown once before).  

Playing in a car driving on Saskatchewan roads (aka bad) is rather difficult, I on our way to a robot club thing I used a convenient, large, wooden picture thing.  It worked well until we hit a bump and decks flew everywhere.  

I'll have to travel by train and try that sometime, it sounds nice.   
These humans, their imaginations are strong. Kill a thousand men and they will hate you. Kill a million men and they will queue to face you. But kill a single man and they will see monsters and devils in every shadow. Kill a dozen men and they will scream and wail in the night, and they shall feel not hatred, but fear. Excerpt from Simon Spurrier's Lord of the Night
So am I seriously expected to believe anyone carries around three boosters and 85 basic lands on the off chance of an impromtu draft on a plane?

I would, if I was traveling with a friend and it'd be a significantly long flight.

I'll have to travel by train and try that sometime, it sounds nice.   

It is, actually, assuming it's a decent train.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I'm sorry, but if I'm flying anywhere I'd much rather look out of the window than play a card game. :P

You enjoy looking at a featureless white plain of clouds beneath you, then? Or do you do all your flying in WW1 biplanes at 3,000 feet? Laughing

You enjoy looking at a featureless white plain of clouds beneath you, then? Or do you do all your flying in WW1 biplanes at 3,000 feet?

Ah, come on, its not that cloudy. :P My last flight to Hong Kong was gorgeous. You don't get many deserts or snow-capped mountains in the UK, and they were awesome to see.
I've played Magic on a train before. Winston draft, in fact. It worked pretty well.

In a car doesn't seem like it'd work so well, although Mental Magic (the version where board state and cards are entirely in your heads) was kinda fun in a car once.
Honestly, my worst experience for playing magic while traveling would have to be on a Fullington bus. The area was already cramped to begin with, and the people sitting infront of us didn't really care about our game as they wanted to sleep.

After a few hours of looking out the window and seeing nothing but endless expanses of featureless blue ocean, the scenery starts to lose its appeal. Actually, probably closer to a few minutes, and that's assuming you're able to get a window seat to begin with. Over land, there may be interesting scenery to distract you, but if there's a blanket of clouds it's almost as bad as water, and a little Magic could make things much more enjoyable.
Rules Nut Advisor
The best way I've found to record life totals when you don't have pen and paper and dice aren't practical is to use your phone.  I'm sure with some imagination you could record some counters as well.
Nice article.  Off beat. Thanks.