7/21/2010 StF: "Nicol Bolas, Archenemy"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

*Nitpick alert*

His scheme (My Wish Is Your Command) could not grab Rampaging Baloths, since its noncreature/nonland...
That was the best article Doug's ever written. He should do flavor decks more often.
That was a fun read. I was disappointed that no tables were flipped in a fury, but maybe next time.
could not grab Rampaging Baloths, since its noncreature/nonland...

I noticed that as well, and it disrupted the read a bit as I tried to continue. I really enjoyed the idea though; I love the idea of flavor battles like this (and have tried some of my own). Would love to see more "hero" and "villain" deck combinations from Doug or other creative team members, although at singleton I'm wondering if they're a little too close to EDH decks.
Nice. Turn. Two. Cheater.
Not as good as the 14 power, but he could take Ajani Vengeant and lock down a land which seems pretty good that early.

Although, *technically* wrong I feel the Blood Tyrant should definately be 10/10 for flavor reasons.
*Nitpick alert*

His scheme (My Wish Is Your Command) could not grab Rampaging Baloths, since its noncreature/nonland...

Seconded; this really distracted me upon reading the article, and was the only time I've ever seen a mistake of this kind in one of Doug's articles.

That was the best article Doug's ever written. He should do flavor decks more often.

Ditto!
Throw in some flavor decks for us sometime, Doug!
Nice flavorful article.
Too bad that there are so many misplays. The first one with the rampaging baloths was really bad and made the article a less enjoyable read for me.

About the vampire: According to the rules of Archenemy the heroes do not lose until all of them are defeated. In my opinion the vampire should not get the 5 +1/+1 counters.
Blood Tyrant is a vampire that feeds on players.  It fed on a player, and therefore should grow stronger.

Give it the +1/+1 counters.  It deserves it.

*Nitpick alert*

I came here to post this. Now I'll go finish reading the article.
Wow. I had fun reading the article, so - I imagine - it had to be a real blast to play this game. I also noticed the mistake with My Wish is Your Command, but hey - it happens.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif

I, too, enjoyed the article, but was bugged by the Scheme mistake.  Also, the Grave Titan on Immersturm should have vanquished the Verdant Force without assistance; Deathtouch does that.

Blood Tyrant should definitely get counters; Jenna is out of the game, after all.  It's his consolation for not being able to suck her blood on upkeep any more.

From the comprehensive rules:

104.3b If a player’s life total is 0 or less, he or she loses the game the next time a player would
receive priority.

So Jenna lost.  The fact that it is a team game does not contradict this; it is possible to lose the game and then subsequently win the game:
104.2c In a multiplayer game between teams, a team with at least one player still in the game wins
the game if all other teams have left the game. Each player on the winning team wins the game,
even if one or more of those players had previously lost that game.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
*Nitpick alert*

It's Nicol Bolas.  He can (apparently) line-item veto a piece of the rules.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. White/Blue? Go figure. I'm an L3 Judge!