Bad Multiplayer Behavior

259 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've played in a lot of multiplayer games, since '94, and over the years have noticed certain things
that annoy.

In early game I like to spread a few points of damage around the table, you know "spread the
love".  I hate it when the first guy you hit for 2 or 3 points gets that "its on" attitude.
Just because I poked you doesn't mean I'm looking for a duel, we are playing multiplayer.

Another thing thats bothersome, one player builds up a little, gets taken down a little more,
yet other players keep focusing on the player who is no longer a threat. I call it the Feeding
Frenzy phenomenon.  Just keep picking on the wounded while some other yahoo is setting up
to pummel you.


How about people who play with the attitude "Since I won't win the game, I'm just going to
pick one opponent to kill."  Once again, we're playing multiplayer.


Players making irrational play choices. It's one thing to want a little Eris(greek goddess of chaos
and dischord) within the game, but overall I cant stand random actions with no forethought.


Anyone have any other stories, anecdotes, peeves, or complaints, please share.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
What about the guy that digs in his heels when told a particular action is a bad idea, then does it anyhow, to his everlasting regret?

I've played kingmaker on occasion, mostly when I realize that my next turn is unlikely to come about.  Is there a name for a reverse kingmaker, the guy who specifically prevents one person from winning, even at his own expense?  A name besides 'jerk', that is.

What is the definition of irrational?  I have made and seen many plays over the years that others might view as 'irrational' from the viewpoint of someone whose goal is to win the game.  There have been some groups I played in where the goals of individuals were more along the lines of: play a specific card, make an overly-complicated combo work, kill Les with a Shanodin Dryads, prevent X from winning, put a new name on my Channel, make mischief, etc.

Most of those goals are 'irrational' from the win the game standpoint, but excuse otherwise irrational plays.

And yes, with assistance, Les WAS killed with the Dryad and that particular Channel racked up about a dozen names, some with multiple hash marks after them.

Eris rules!

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I guess my idea of irrational is scenario 1 above, the guys who make stupid choices for no apparent reason.


There is this one guy I play with who, when not winning, will "decide" who wins by going after just
one play.  Usually the person who messed with him the most.  
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
lol I do the above occasionally. If I have no chance of winning I'll often go for whoever is mostly likely to win helping the others out. Not because I want any one of them to win but because it'll make a more interesting game for me to watch play out after I'm eliminated.They usually like that...until that person suddenly changes and I go after the new top dog. The only time I might go after one single person(again if I have no chance of winning myself) is if they focused on me despite not being a substantial threat(or even defenseless and thus using lots of resources to take me down specifically) to them. I can't win? Neither will you.

It's a dick move I suppose but at the same time I think it helps to make others choose their actions more carefully and actually try to assess threats more accurately. Everyone's in it to win it but politics can't be ignored unless you're virtually unstoppable. Then you can destroy with impunity
Getting a body is the second best thing to do in multiplayer!  Heck, we sometimes make that the measure of winning altogether.  Changes the game dynamics some.  Enunciated motives make for great table talk and fun if its not mean spirited.  "OK goody two shoes (white player) the devil has come to collect his due! (black/red player)!  We don't always need to be SO focused on who the last guy at the table is, do we?
Currently in the deck box: Ashling the Pilgrim Horde of Notions Merieke Ri Berit Lin Sivvi Ertai,the Corrupted Riku of Two Reflections Sliver Overlord In Progress: Garza Zol Thraximundar
The "early poke" combined with the "irrational play": Poking the guy playing the red burn deck while he has a full hand and hasn't missed any land drops.

I was the red burn guy in this scenario. In my experience, playing red burn is all about holding onto your hand until you get a valid target. That's exactly what I'd been doing, and the poke gave me a valid target. Valid Target was dead in four turns.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Something that has always bothered me is people who take the game too personally.  It's just a game.  Attacking (or targetting) you isn't a personal attack; it's just part of that game.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Something that has always bothered me is people who take the game too personally.  It's just a game.  Attacking (or targetting) you isn't a personal attack; it's just part of that game.



Yup.

Of course, hurting someone who hurt you is also part of the game.  Need to do it smartly, though.  If you're the threat and people hurt you, well, that's acceptable.  But if you aren't and someone goes for you when they should be going after the threat, well, actions have consequences.  Worth doing even if it hurts your position or costs you the current game.  Done properly, it'll help you in the future.

The trick to it is to keep it within the current game.  Don't carry a grudge from one game to the next.  Well, except when that one guy plays his super annoying, cheesy deck.  There's always at least one in every multiplayer group.  But he knows the price he's going to pay for playing that deck, so it is all good

Also worth noting that a lot of times multiplayer politics of who gets hit relies on a "reason."  People are always looking for an reason so others won't clobber them in return.  And that means one who uses a weak justification like "I had a creature and you had no blockers" should not be whining about being blasted in the future due to "you hit me earlier."  It is as valid of a reason and provides encouragement for the other players to leave that guy alone while he trashes the guy who hurt him early on.
Also worth noting that a lot of times multiplayer politics of who gets hit relies on a "reason."  People are always looking for an reason so others won't clobber them in return.  And that means one who uses a weak justification like "I had a creature and you had no blockers" should not be whining about being blasted in the future due to "you hit me earlier."  It is as valid of a reason and provides encouragement for the other players to leave that guy alone while he trashes the guy who hurt him early on.


A guy in my playgroup has a pretty slow Dragons deck, and usually has nothing out until turn 4-5. But we never dare touch him, because he is pretty vengeful, and will see to it that everybody who touched him will go down in flames. Even though that attitude has cost him the game sometimes, now he has a reputation of doing that, so nobody dares anymore. So even though it seemed irrational at the time, it has served him well.

One thing I hate, is when I hit a player, and he starts whining about it. I'd much rather have somebody who is all 'lets get it on' after that, than somebody that keeps on nagging about it the whole game, but never, or almost never, gets his revenge in the game. In my group, he is a younger player, with a deck that isn't as powerful as the rest, that thinks that because of that, he should be protected more. He is wrong though. If you're playing against me, you are as much an enemy to me as the guy next to you. Since then, I think he got the point, and he is now less words and more actions.

One thing I hate, is when I hit a player, and he starts whining about it. I'd much rather have somebody who is all 'lets get it on' after that, than somebody that keeps on nagging about it the whole game, but never, or almost never, gets his revenge in the game. In my group, he is a younger player, with a deck that isn't as powerful as the rest, that thinks that because of that, he should be protected more. He is wrong though. If you're playing against me, you are as much an enemy to me as the guy next to you. Since then, I think he got the point, and he is now less words and more actions.



That's actually what I meant when I said that people take the game like a personal attack.  There's a player that I play with who'll complain every time he's targetted or attacked.  He'll give a couple exasperated "really?"s or complain for upwards of a minute about it (usually reasoning that I should attack somebody else).  He won't hold a grudge in any real sense (won't vindictively attack me, won't hold a grudge in or between games), but it's an ordeal every time I do something to him.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

One thing I hate, is when I hit a player, and he starts whining about it. I'd much rather have somebody who is all 'lets get it on' after that, than somebody that keeps on nagging about it the whole game, but never, or almost never, gets his revenge in the game. In my group, he is a younger player, with a deck that isn't as powerful as the rest, that thinks that because of that, he should be protected more. He is wrong though. If you're playing against me, you are as much an enemy to me as the guy next to you. Since then, I think he got the point, and he is now less words and more actions.



That's actually what I meant when I said that people take the game like a personal attack.  There's a player that I play with who'll complain every time he's targetted or attacked.  He'll give a couple exasperated "really?"s or complain for upwards of a minute about it (usually reasoning that I should attack somebody else).  He won't hold a grudge in any real sense (won't vindictively attack me, won't hold a grudge in or between games), but it's an ordeal every time I do something to him.


Well, there are 2 kinds of whiners: the kind that keep nagging about it, and the type that starts hating on you and targets you on every chance he gets. I much rather have the second type, because then if you kill them, the ordeal is over, where with the first type the nagging now is about that he was the wrong person to kill.
I hate it when everyone gangs up on you when you haven't done anything.

I was playing my mill deck in a 5-person game the other day. I get out Mesmeric Orb, and the player to my right destroys it before even her opponents get milled from it. I get out Dreamborn Muse, and someone else bolts it. I get out Memory Erosion, and that gets destroyed before it becomes my turn again. I'm left with nothing but two Steel Walls, and everyone's still talking about me saying I'm threatening.

Seriously? I'm threatening? The guy with 2 islands and two Steel Walls is threatening? The guy who has done literally nothing all game because my stuff gets targeted by everyone the moment it comes out? Not the guy with 6 vampires, one of them being Captivating Vampire? Not the Naya deck, complete with Ajani Vengeant, that removed all our lands from the game? Me?
I have two forms of attack.  I either attack on the wheel (normally when I play red), or I attack the greatest threat/most annoying player.  In my group, there are normally four of us.
Spike: He has the most dangerous deck early game.  He'll limit your option, make your stuff useless and try to punch you in the face.  Then he complains when he gets targeted, neutered or killed.  Normally I just try to neuter him... That'll teach him to play a deck that's most dangerous turns one through three.
Super-Kami-Guru: He's the one that got us into magic... I normally target him because he has the most experiance, the most cards and knows how to put it all together.  He'll hold a slight grudge, but 97.5% of the time, it won't matter, because another situation of that type won't come up.  I target him after Spike is neutered, and either try to get the bored to neuter him turns four through six, or else we kill him... or he wins.
Timmy: She loves big stompy things.  If we ignore her (which we do half the time), she can Timmy Stomp over everyone.  She's typically ignored turns one through six, because she plays really big, expensive cards and doesn't ramp too much... but then she has the mana to use them and let's be honest... Spike and Guru are pretty dangerous up until this point.
Johnny-Vorthos-Melvin: That's me.  I like to blow up everything with my combo.  It may not win me the game, but man... It was cool!  I normally survive when I do because my deck doesn't have any one super threat.  I don't put out Emrikuls (outside of EDH), Nova Chasers, Midnight Banshees, Planeswalkers, or Lords of Extinction.  I have a lot of small things with potential that aren't a direct threat... Then make them all work together, kinda' crazy like.

What buggs me is short games.  I like to see lots of explosions, even if it does hurt me the most.  The longer that everyone is in play, the more devistating and awesome the game can get.
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
I hate it when everyone gangs up on you when you haven't done anything.

I was playing my mill deck in a 5-person game the other day. I get out Mesmeric Orb, and the player to my right destroys it before even her opponents get milled from it. I get out Dreamborn Muse, and someone else bolts it. I get out Memory Erosion, and that gets destroyed before it becomes my turn again. I'm left with nothing but two Steel Walls, and everyone's still talking about me saying I'm threatening.

Seriously? I'm threatening? The guy with 2 islands and two Steel Walls is threatening? The guy who has done literally nothing all game because my stuff gets targeted by everyone the moment it comes out? Not the guy with 6 vampires, one of them being Captivating Vampire? Not the Naya deck, complete with Ajani Vengeant, that removed all our lands from the game? Me?


I noticed this too. It is because every one of your spells must be dealt with immediately. That will put people on edge, and they expect  your next move to be like that too. That way, in their eyes, you are a threat, because they have to anticipate on you.

Staying below the radar to avoid aggro is not about having a low profile on the board, it is about having a low profile in everybody's mind. They see the vampire player, and think 'that's easily solved, we just need some global removal'. Ajani is easily killed by attacking it (which, of course, should have been done before he got to his ultimate, but that's besides the point).

With you, it is different, because nobody knows how to react on a threat that they haven't seen yet.It probably means playing less threats like that in your deck, I can't think of any other thing that might help.
MadMaxNL made a good point.  In multiplayer, it's good to not be the person on top, or the person on bottom.  Some groups have the DB that will attack the weakest link.  Then everyone tries to stop the strongest link, because... well... he's the one who is most likely to kill them.  It isn't easy to do, but a hand between the size of 3 and 5 cards, and a few things on the board are good at this, as long as it doesn't effect anyone immediatly and all the time.  I'm not saying to not play those kinds of cards, but just wait a few turns longer before playing them.

I was at a FNM a week ago and one guy did bother me.  I wasn't playing him, but he watched our game.  My deck was getting screwed.  It was a Kiln Fiend deck that also ran Goblin Arsonist and Caller of Gales.  Turn seven, my first creature, Caller of Gales his the field.  As I'm sure you can guess, I was frustrated, and the guy I was up against didn't have a very agressive deck.  So I say to him, "I sit."  In general, people know that means that my turn is done, and I've just had a disappointing game.  Then this guy next to us says, "It's Pass Turn, or End Turn."  Then he made some lame referance joke that lovers of every major scy fy movie wouldn't have even cought and walked away laughing awkwardly.  When people correct what you say, when what you say isn't confusing, and act like they know more, I get bothered.  I'm not saying, "I'll use one and a death for doom blade!"  Psst, pricks.
Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
What buggs me is short games.  I like to see lots of explosions, even if it does hurt me the most.  The longer that everyone is in play, the more devistating and awesome the game can get.

This is only true if all participants are running quality decks.

If the 6-person game consists of 1 made-for-mp deck, 1 alright deck, and 4 color-coordinated piles, then long games are just painful to participate in - ESPECIALLY after a reset occurs.  Having been in games of this nature too many times over the last 12+ years (and I admit that at the beginning, I ran color-coordinated pile), I now strive for fast games. 

That said, I recently enjoyed an explosive longer game of the nature you described, and as you say, it WAS awesome. Resets, swingy plays, fun creatures, a splash of intelligently use countermagic, lots of damage flying every turn.... an excellent game.

As for bad behavior, what about the player who cheats (poorly or otherwise)?  And the person who borrows your deck and plays it with nasty sweaty/foodstained hands; this person is the best motivation to use sleeves (or to not loan out decks).

Cheers!

   

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
So I say to him, "I sit."  In general, people know that means that my turn is done, and I've just had a disappointing game.  Then this guy next to us says, "It's Pass Turn, or End Turn."  Then he made some lame referance joke that lovers of every major scy fy movie wouldn't have even cought and walked away laughing awkwardly.  When people correct what you say, when what you say isn't confusing, and act like they know more, I get bothered.

It's entirely possible for one person to make a statement he considers to have an obvious meaning.  Someone else finds it horribly obscure.  It's called Small Reference Pools.  In your opponent's position, I wouldn't have understood "I sit" having a Magic connotation.  I would've thought it was a statement of obviousness, like "good morning".
D&D 4E Herald and M:tG Rules Advisor I expect posters to follow the Code of Conduct, use Basic Etiquette, and avoid Poor Logic. If you don't follow these guidelines, I consider you to be disrespectful to everyone on these forums. If you respond to me without following these guidelines, I consider it a personal attack. I grew up in a bilingual household, which means I am familiar with the difficulties in adopting a different vocabulary and grammar. That doesn't bother me. Persistent use of bad capitalization, affirming the consequent, and flaming bother me a great deal.
Rule that I would change: 204.1b
204.1b Some effects change an object’s card type, supertype, or subtype but specify that the object retains a prior card type, supertype, or subtype. In such cases, all the object’s prior card types, supertypes, and subtypes are retained. This rule applies to effects that use the phrase “in addition to its types” or that state that something is “still a [card type].” Some effects state that an object becomes an “artifact creature”; these effects also allow the object to retain all of its prior card types and subtypes.
"Eight Edition Rules Update" We eventually decided not to change this template, because players are used to “becomes an artifact creature,” and like it much better.
Players were used to Combat on the Stack, but you got rid of that because it was unintuitive. The only phrase needed is "in addition to its types"; the others are misleading and unintuitive.
I'm with crazysamaritan on that one. A group of players used to knock on the table and then say "pass the turn".  i would yell "come in" or "someone get the door". The thing is that by announcing every step keeps the other players focused on the game. It's a good habit, so that when you play one of the anal "pro" guys, they will not keep calling a judge every ten minutes. This is why rules are written, it annoys when a player plays a land, then untaps, draws and finally decides to pay his echo cost.
So I say to him, "I sit."  In general, people know that means that my turn is done, and I've just had a disappointing game.  Then this guy next to us says, "It's Pass Turn, or End Turn."  Then he made some lame referance joke that lovers of every major scy fy movie wouldn't have even cought and walked away laughing awkwardly.  When people correct what you say, when what you say isn't confusing, and act like they know more, I get bothered.

It's entirely possible for one person to make a statement he considers to have an obvious meaning.  Someone else finds it horribly obscure.  It's called Small Reference Pools.  In your opponent's position, I wouldn't have understood "I sit" having a Magic connotation.  I would've thought it was a statement of obviousness, like "good morning".




I sometimes say "may the force be with you." Yeah, I played a very small amount of that pretty awful TCG. Almost nobody gets the reference.
I sometimes say "may the force be with you." Yeah, I played a very small amount of that pretty awful TCG. Almost nobody gets the reference.

It's a Star Trek reference.  Duh! ;)

I'm a table knocker.  What irks me are people who don't announce they are done, and just sit there, staring into space.  Then they get all indignent when asked if they are done, because the next person to go has been waiting patiently to play some instants during their end step.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
If people tend to take too long before saying go, we simply ask (in English, even though we generally speak dutch, but it is sounds better in English) "my turn??". The active player says "no". After he does nothing for another second or two "how bout now??". Rinse and repeat that last phrase until somebody learns.


I hate 3 things in multi player:
3. Slow players. Games can take way too long anyway but that is ok if the game keeps moving, then it is fun and not boring. If people have to take turns of 5+ minutes in which they need 90% of the time to think every single turn every single game every single time you play with them (when they should know their deck through and through and think about the right plays during other peoples turns and then the think time is reduced significantly once it is their turn).

2.  Playing with a deck that you know has little to no chance of winning and then making it your mission to at least kill me (or some other poor soul). This is especially true for burn and mill decks. If you are going to play that, make it so that you can win, and not just kill one and then be happy because you choose who you ruin that game for without the game being part of that decision (it isn't a retaliation for deeds done in the game). For instance: we often play some football on the same evenings we play cards. One time we went there with 2 cars (6 guys, 2 cars) and one guy was slow getting back so he had to ride back in the other car (I left him standing there because I wanted to get a move on so I rode of). The first game he took his jackpot deck (U/R burn, ping ping ping ping) and focused fire on me. I still killed him before he killed me but he said he only did that because I drove of without him (he didn't have to walk or something, he got a ride in the other car!).

1. The following set of cards (can you spot a theme?) Extirpate, Lobotomy, Eradicate, Counterbore because I eat them way too often (or more correctly spoken: my babies eat them way more than ever can be justified if everybody plays to win, most of my friends know I love those cards and just want to mess with me)
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
helphelpe, if those cards are the bread and butter of your decks, it's obvious, as a metagame strategy to go after them. What I do, is use multiple support cards and limit the kill conditions to as few as possible. Another option is to shelve them for a while and try new cards or colors. You can also beat them at their own game.
Players who seem to forget what cards they have in hand between turns and have to read and analyze each and every one each turn.

People who can't perform basic math, or can't read their native tongue, when playing magic that is.  
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
helphelpe, if those cards are the bread and butter of your decks, it's obvious, as a metagame strategy to go after them. What I do, is use multiple support cards and limit the kill conditions to as few as possible. Another option is to shelve them for a while and try new cards or colors. You can also beat them at their own game.



They aren't my bread and butter but they do strengthen the deck significantly. I simply love those cards a lot and because of that it is a mental slap in the face if people eradicate them from my deck. Even with my best pokerface everybody who knows me can clearly see that I am annoyed and they love doing it for exactly that reason! 
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
helphelpe, if those cards are the bread and butter of your decks, it's obvious, as a metagame strategy to go after them. What I do, is use multiple support cards and limit the kill conditions to as few as possible. Another option is to shelve them for a while and try new cards or colors. You can also beat them at their own game.



They aren't my bread and butter but they do strengthen the deck significantly. I simply love those cards a lot and because of that it is a mental slap in the face if people eradicate them from my deck. Even with my best pokerface everybody who knows me can clearly see that I am annoyed and they love doing it for exactly that reason! 



Stop playing multiples of cards, use a lot more one offs instead.  I had to face down those cards for
a while and it is frustrating to lose all four copies of your main theme.  By switching your play style
every so often, like switching to alternate cards, running one offs, switching out themes and combos,
basically keeping your opponents guessing, you'll be less annoyed and they will be the  annoyed ones.



STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
helphelpe, if those cards are the bread and butter of your decks, it's obvious, as a metagame strategy to go after them. What I do, is use multiple support cards and limit the kill conditions to as few as possible. Another option is to shelve them for a while and try new cards or colors. You can also beat them at their own game.



They aren't my bread and butter but they do strengthen the deck significantly. I simply love those cards a lot and because of that it is a mental slap in the face if people eradicate them from my deck. Even with my best pokerface everybody who knows me can clearly see that I am annoyed and they love doing it for exactly that reason! 



Stop playing multiples of cards, use a lot more one offs instead.  I had to face down those cards for
a while and it is frustrating to lose all four copies of your main theme.  By switching your play style
every so often, like switching to alternate cards, running one offs, switching out themes and combos,
basically keeping your opponents guessing, you'll be less annoyed and they will be the  annoyed ones.






I agree, sounds like your playgroup has adjusted to the metagame, but you have not. Even if they ARE being jerks about it.

The obvious answer is to be jerks back!
Luckily it is just the one deck (mainly, a UB mill deck, some of the cards are in other decks too but not so much. I know of 3 decks in total that play those cards in 50+ regularly played decks I encounter in my playgroup) so it cannot be called the meta. And it is an arms race that I have fought differently than simply conceding by not playing 4 of my favorite cards in my decks. I have used sac outlets against Eradicate and Riftsweeper mainboard against a lot of other things. Besides that I have made it quit clear that if you act like a Jerk (so gameplay wise there were much better targets like those Demigod of Revenges in somebody else his graveyard) then I will devote all my resources to making you lose that game. I will not hold a grudge the rest of the evening, just that game.

People called me crazy when I mainboarded Riftsweeper for a while. Until they saw the error of their ways (because it always found a good target). 
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
The obvious answer is to be jerks back!



No, being a jerk back justifies their being jerks to begin with.  Be a better player, have better decks,
and be a bigger, smarter person.

In the end, being a cooler person pays off a lot more than being a jerk.

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
3. Slow players. Games can take way too long anyway but that is ok if the game keeps moving, then it is fun and not boring. If people have to take turns of 5+ minutes in which they need 90% of the time to think every single turn every single game every single time you play with them (when they should know their deck through and through and think about the right plays during other peoples turns and then the think time is reduced significantly once it is their turn).



This is a weakness of mine, I will admit.  It won't be the case early-game, but late game, when a lot's on the line with every single turn and there are a lot of factors to consider, I'll admit to taking a long time taking my turn (sometimes even responding to opposing actions on other peoples' turns).  I figure it's best to think things out fully than to rush and make mistakes, although I am getting better about speeding things up a bit.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

One of my bigger pet peeves are the people who sit around and essentially do nothing, dragging out the game unnecessarily. They just sit there and do nothing. It doesn't matter how many creatures they have. It doesn't matter what position they're in. They will choose to sit, defend, and see what happens. They are playing magic by themselves while also watching a multiplayer game happen around them.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the ones who will just drag out the game completely intentionally. You know the type: They're in a winning position. They have everyone locked down, but they want to get their combo off, so they make us wait until they draw it before finally finishing us off some 8 turns later. Yeah, great combo that you only had to draw through half your deck to find. You may want to work on establishing a win condition.

Many people in my group have developed a strong reaction to this sort of play and will scoop at the first signs of it happening. We can all see it coming from miles away and love nothing more than denying that player the win they desired.
Of course, that's nothing compared to the ones who will just drag out the game completely intentionally. You know the type: They're in a winning position. They have everyone locked down, but they want to get their combo off, so they make us wait until they draw it before finally finishing us off some 8 turns later. Yeah, great combo that you only had to draw through half your deck to find. You may want to work on establishing a win condition.

You know that in those cases, you can just give up?

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the ones who will just drag out the game completely intentionally. You know the type: They're in a winning position. They have everyone locked down, but they want to get their combo off, so they make us wait until they draw it before finally finishing us off some 8 turns later. Yeah, great combo that you only had to draw through half your deck to find. You may want to work on establishing a win condition.

You know that in those cases, you can just give up?




And if you had read the rest of my post, you can see that we do.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the ones who will just drag out the game completely intentionally. You know the type: They're in a winning position. They have everyone locked down, but they want to get their combo off, so they make us wait until they draw it before finally finishing us off some 8 turns later. Yeah, great combo that you only had to draw through half your deck to find. You may want to work on establishing a win condition.

You know that in those cases, you can just give up?




And if you had read the rest of my post, you can see that we do.



It was in another paragraph, come on! :P

And if none of you has any answer to his stuff, he deserves to win anyway.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I just sit tight, until i'm under attack, then i go in to the fight, focusing, i'd say, about 80% on on the guy who hit me first, and then go from there
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
src="http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20797.jpg" title="I am Red/White" alt="I am Red/White" border="0" />
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
nunchuckgun has a point, your game/play style has to change according to what
the metagame establishes. If you refuse to budge you become an easy target.
As stated earlier to helphelpe, beat them at their own game. Cast your Cranial Extraction
naming Extirpate, before there is a target in the graveyard. I also get the impression
that helphelpe is perceived as the alpha threat, thus attracting the attention.
And if none of you has any answer to his stuff, he deserves to win anyway.



Oh yeah, he's won, we just wish he wouldn't take so long to do it.
One of my bigger pet peeves are the people who sit around and essentially do nothing, dragging out the game unnecessarily. They just sit there and do nothing. It doesn't matter how many creatures they have. It doesn't matter what position they're in. They will choose to sit, defend, and see what happens. They are playing magic by themselves while also watching a multiplayer game happen around them.

These people are why I tend towards decks that do things to everyone.  Red, Black, Blue, even Green, White, and Artifacts have a few global 'must' effects that make things happen.

Do I win often?  No.  Do games go faster than they otherwise would?  Yes.  They are far more interesting, as well, IMO.

On a related note, I seeded the gaming circle with Day of Judgment, Catastrophe, Purify and a variety of other cards that force issues, all through happy trades.

I will suffer from these cards, but its worth it, as those cards force people to do things, if only in revenge.  Plus, they should passively encourage people not to overextend so much.

Cheers! 

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Mass removal works great against those players. But it does drag out games too because people have to build up a bit again. That makes haste creatures very nice as well as evasion + self defense tricks (like fog effects or instant removal).

In our playgroup nothing is save so if you don't use your overwhelming power, it will be gone soon.  That is something that speeds up games.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)

One thing that buggs me... I can't quiet figure out how to phrase it, so I'll give an example first.

Guru player is winning by a long shot and is about to kill Spike.
I'm in a crappy place and can't do anything yet.
Timmy has a good board position and is limiting Guru a bit.
Spike blows up the world and saves his life.
Timmy complains that Spike blew up their minorly limiting stuff.

Spike just saved himself!  Don't complain!

Another thing that buggs me is when people have a very specific theme to there deck... I'm serious, just about every deck they own will have some blaring flaw, and you have a knack for exploiting it... And they get ticked.  Example being, Vorthos uses creatures.  Vorthos LOVES creatures... but creatures are prone to get wrathed.  This means that Vorthos' deck crumbles and Vorthos gets upset.

Helphelpe: The deck type that I hate is counter or counter/faerie decks.  I then made a parody of it.  I'm serious, about 40% or more of this deck is counter spells.  It will lose almost any game, but they will typically get frustrated by the deck and understand how frustrating it is to have everything you cast get countered...  You could try something simmilar, either with counters (saving up Last Words for Extirpates.) or just put all of the cards you have like Extirpate into a deck and frustrate them with it.
At least as far as I've noticed, frustrating a player is more effective at jading them towards a specific kind of card or deck, then beating that type of deck.

Show
My Decks http://community.wizards.com/vennsvaults/go/forum/viewcategory/138835/Venns_Vaults My Bronation Station http://community.wizards.com/pony My 1000th post! On Thursday 03/13/2011! Yay St. Patric's day. How to play many other Casual Magic Formats http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29198663/?sdb=1&pg=last#521400213 Many of these were on the Magic Resources Site years ago. It was removed around the time 2HG became a sanctioned format. Purple Work Station http://community.wizards.com/purpleworkstation/go/forum/viewboard IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Timmy shouldn't complain. Spike made the play that was necessary to keep him/herself alive, not to annoy Timmy or anything.


Once I returned the favor: Memory Plunder his Extirpate on his Grimoire Thief (pretty much the card he loves the most in his deck). 


I have joked about building the following deck:
4x Extirpate 
4x Eradicate
4x Haunting Echoes
4x Lobotomy
4x Counterbore
4x Shimian Specter
4x Haunting Echoes
4x Cranial Extraction
4x Lobotomy
4x Quash
10x Swamp
10x Island

But that is never going to win and those cards really aren't my style so I am unlikely to add them in other decks later on so it would be a bit of a waste of my money just to annoy the crap out of my friends (it would be priceless, but still...).
 
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)