Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Decks - August, 2010

214 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of August, 2010.
Waiting for set 2 in SoM Block announcement...
What version was given out as the promo for winning "the Sorcerer's Apprentice" contest??
It's my sig in a box! -RP Jesus
Show
I... need a filing cabinet. -Quagmire I think I saw Emrakul in a cartoon with Japanese schoolgirls once. It didn't end well. -Qmark Edit: Couldn't find a cookie, so here's an octopus. Enjoy. -Zigeif777
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
grandma pumps the threat she ramps.
If you believe in Jesus and love him and aren't afraid to admit it, put this in your sig. Jun 30, 2010 -- 1:35AM, S1AL wrote: Playing a bad deck in order to be original is like using crappy tools to build something. Not only does it look bad in the end, but nobody really thinks that you're cool for being unwilling to do things the way a professional would.
Look at the card. Now back to Jace. Now back to that card, now back to Jace! Sadly, it isn't Jace, but if it stopped being a junk rare and became relevant, it could act like it's Jace. Crack some Worldwake. What do you have? You have a Jace, the card you wish this card could be like. Look again. THE CARD IS NOW A $75 BILL. Anything possible when you play Magic with Jace and not junk rares.
So! This explains why I'm sick and tired of seeing Jace everywhere!
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Thank you!
Mirrodin Besiged?

Show

So much for Mirrodin Pure...or maybe New Phyrexia...
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/3/39/Mirrodin_Loyalty.png) thanks to gamma-mage for the awesome banner
interesting. there's 155 cards, that's 10 more than usual for a small set.
[21:07] [Ragnarokio] there might be more than 30 zebras after all Rag: regular mafia should be practice for white flag
Really? Hmm. Does this mean the rumors of New Phyrexia/Mirrodin Pure being in the same box (18 black boosters, 18 white) as a "split set" might be true? Hmmmmm.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I want to know about that art. Who is that guy?
And what's he doing with that bat'leth?

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

The background  is really purple....just saying

Auriok Knight? Looks a little too well armored to be Steelshaper. Just a thought.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
just have to say it...

Best.
Design team.
Ever.

I can't wait to see the finished product. Everyone will be blown away i'm sure.
Really? Hmm. Does this mean the rumors of New Phyrexia/Mirrodin Pure being in the same box (18 black boosters, 18 white) as a "split set" might be true? Hmmmmm.

I was just thinking that exact thing.  I originally thought that idea was wacky, but I also thought that no order of Mirrodin Pure first New Phyrexia second or the opposite made that complete sense from a storytelling standpoint.  Both of them sound like the end.  So wait.  What if Mirrodin becomes Besieged and ends up getting split into a Pure Mirrodin and a New Phyrexia, two sets released simultaneously as was theorized.  Doesn't it just make more sense for these two settings to be alternative, not chronological?

Now I think this whole theory makes a lot more sense from a storytelling standpoint, marketing, branding, and design standpoint.  It seems more elegant in this context and like exactly the kind of experiment that Wizards would pull at this point.

I mean in Lorwyn they had 2 mini blocks or 1 large block depending on how you look at it.  Alara was mostly normal in terms of set structure (though the themes were as varied as ever).  Zendikar gave us a mini block finished by a semi-stand alone set like Coldsnap (which I don't really understand why they did it that way, but I understand it was successful and different).  Now we can have Big Set, Small Set, Split Set so they could print as many new cards as in Rise of the Eldrazi, but put them into different packs in such a way as to add another element to limited and many other things.

Here's a situation that comes up all the time.  You go to a store, you know you are getting new packs today, but what to buy?  Well whatever is newest is usually the answer which takes any fun out of choosing.  "Well I guess I'll get some more M11, need to grind for more Baneslayer Angels or Primeval Titans or whatever."  But what if there were TWO newest sets.  You would have to think about what the differences are between the sets.  Do you prefer the theme of one, is there a specific card you are trying to get, maybe a specific mechanic you are building a deck around, maybe one set has a higher average value while the other has bigger bombs.  Regardless it is a decision.  And with a company like Wizards, decisions are good for them.  This decision will reward the person with new cards no matter what, create a moment to ponder where there may not have been one before (and if you like playing Magic, you like solving mini puzzles like this).  And the decision is more likely to result in you buying more.  I think when faced with the decision of which set to buy a pack from, more people will choose both than neither.  And of course to the successful competitive player it's a no brainer, I must buy twice as much Magic now in order to be competitive.

At this point if this ISN'T what Wizards is doing next year then they are missing a great opportunity.

Oh, also we know that the code names for this block were "Lights, Camera, Action".  But you may remember Lorwyn block back when it was 3 sets was "Peanut, Butter, Jelly".  Then when they decided to do a large block they called the 4th "Sandwich".  Then when they decided instead that it would be designed more like 2 small blocks they changed it to "Doughnut" so it would be "Peanut, Butter" and "Jelly, Doughnut".

Perhaps the new block structure this time around would be "Lights, Camera, Action/Adventure"?  It's nothing of consequence probably, but I challenge you to come up with something better! Laughing

I saw someone else post something, but he must have deleted it.  But the question he brought up is then why did they copyright sets 1, 3 and 4 simultaneously and not 2?  Well of course I am rumormilling here so I could be just dead wrong and there could be some way I haven't thought of that would make this impossible or impractical to implement, or just that it was never on Wizards' mind to do.  But it still seems like a good idea.

Anyway, if I were to take a guess, I could say that maybe the initial idea of the set was to return to a Mirrodin in conflict again in the big set, and then by the final set in the block to have a dichotomy between the good and evil parallel worlds.  In that case, I would come up with names for set 1, 3 and 4 before I came up with the name of 2 (just the train of thought would lead to those more important sets getting names first), if indeed 2 was in the original plan.  Perhaps Besieged wasn't in the original plan but they decided that they needed to set up the split better with a middle set.  Or more likely, that they still needed to have the 3 normal release dates.  They couldn't go make Scars of Mirrodin in the Fall, Mirrodin Pure/New Phyrexia in the Winter/Spring, and nothing in the Spring/Summer.  Or both.

Or, of course, I could be way off base on all of this.  But I'll tell you this, Wizards is up to something.  They always are.  They are always working on new gimmicks that are fun, interesting, exciting, never done before, and of course profitable.  All of which this plan has in spades, which is why I said, if this isn't what they're doing then they are missing out on a possibly great idea.

Perhaps the new block structure this time around would be "Lights, Camera, Action/Adventure"?  It's nothing of consequence probably, but I challenge you to come up with something better! 

"Lights, Camera, Action/Cut" in that case seems to make much more sense, isn't it? ^^

As said, maybe it is an alternate reality but couldn't it be simply the two famous factions fighting to dominate the other or something like that?

I won't go more far away because all we can do for now is speculating and it could go everywhere and nowhere.

The background  is really purple....just saying

Yeah, surely for esthetic reasons. Purple tends to contrast the gold/yellow. Just take Admonition Angel for example. And by the way, I love the purple/gold contrast, it gives something very mystical.

It makes me think that we don't have the illustrator, sadly.

LOL

Mirrodin had a lot to offer the first time around, if they've learned their lessons from the problems it had we should be in for something neat.

And I think the two booster thing is a really neat idea.

And when will Relentless Rats finally be templated as  Basic Creature - Rat (A deck may have any number of basic creatures.)  ?
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Um, is the expansion symbol really missing?
Could you keep the rumors in sblock please? This thread isn't about future set especulation, sometimes people don't want to read what can happen, even if it's just a supposition.
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Love the art, and REALLY love the idea of a double-pack box. My store manager will be so pissed by this, but hey, she's a bat anyways. I'll just take a long time deciding.
Show
I... need a filing cabinet. -Quagmire I think I saw Emrakul in a cartoon with Japanese schoolgirls once. It didn't end well. -Qmark Edit: Couldn't find a cookie, so here's an octopus. Enjoy. -Zigeif777
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
If you believe in Jesus and love him and aren't afraid to admit it, put this in your sig. Jun 30, 2010 -- 1:35AM, S1AL wrote: Playing a bad deck in order to be original is like using crappy tools to build something. Not only does it look bad in the end, but nobody really thinks that you're cool for being unwilling to do things the way a professional would.
Look at the card. Now back to Jace. Now back to that card, now back to Jace! Sadly, it isn't Jace, but if it stopped being a junk rare and became relevant, it could act like it's Jace. Crack some Worldwake. What do you have? You have a Jace, the card you wish this card could be like. Look again. THE CARD IS NOW A $75 BILL. Anything possible when you play Magic with Jace and not junk rares.
This thread isn't about future set especulation, sometimes people don't want to read what can happen, even if it's just a supposition.

spoilers.png

So they've cleverly back-ended a way to make five sets a year now.  What's the big deal?

Show
57718868 wrote:
58844013 wrote:
Just wanted to say that I love the strapline...

"steel yourself for war"

Very nice.

PS And whoever came up with "Here I rule" should be shot.

PPS Please dont say its the same guy...
Is the time interval between SoM (Oct-01-2010) release and MB (Feb-04-2011) release the usual interval for a 2nd set in a block to be released or is that like a crazy much longer than usual delay?
Formerly Magemaster44 who joined in 2002
Is the guy in the picture Tezzeret?!

Any thoughts?
Is the guy in the picture Tezzeret?!

Any thoughts?

The guy pictured looks nothing like Tezzeret.  We do know Elspeth is going to be on Mirrodin, but we're getting some new version of her in Scars.
Could you keep the rumors in sblock please? This thread isn't about future set especulation, sometimes people don't want to read what can happen, even if it's just a supposition.

Sorry, I don't even know how to sblock (yet).  But considering it is still totally rumor I didn't even think of it as a spoiler.  Also, just what do you expect to find in a discussion of an upcoming set?  Us to spend page upon page extolling the merits of the logo design?  Naw, we're gonna speculate and share what we know and what we think about it.

Is the time interval between SoM (Oct-01-2010) release and MB (Feb-04-2011) release the usual interval for a 2nd set in a block to be released or is that like a crazy much longer than usual delay?

Well the first weekend in October is always the beginning of a new block.  Worldwake came out last February 5th, Conflux was February 6th, Morningtide was February 1...  looking back it appears every one of these was released the first weekend in February, so no surprise there.  And we can expect the third set(s) to come out some time next May.  Sorry, no clues there.

So they've cleverly back-ended a way to make five sets a year now.  What's the big deal?

Actually, far more than that, and you may not even realize it.

From the Vault: Relics, Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret, Archenemy, The Deckbuilder's Toolkit, Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam (and two expansions, one new to XBLA), Duels of the Planeswalkers decks, Phyrexia vs. The Coalition, Premium Deck Series: Fire and Lightning, and Magic the Gathering: Tactics (for PS3 and PC) are all the other Magic products I can think of off the top of my head that have or will come out THIS YEAR ALONE BESIDES Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011 and Scars of Mirrodin.  Oh and of course all of their licensed gear like sleeves, deck boxes, playmats, shirts, hats, shoes, soda and on and on.  The Sorcerer's Apprentice almost even counts in my book, but not quite.

Also, nice name QMark.  Yours is a variation on the name I always try to get

Actually, far more than that, and you may not even realize it.

From the Vault: Relics, Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret, Archenemy, The Deckbuilder's Toolkit, Duels of the Planeswalkers on Steam (and two expansions, one new to XBLA), Duels of the Planeswalkers decks, Phyrexia vs. The Coalition, Premium Deck Series: Fire and Lightning, and Magic the Gathering: Tactics (for PS3 and PC) are all the other Magic products I can think of off the top of my head that have or will come out THIS YEAR ALONE BESIDES Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011 and Scars of Mirrodin.  Oh and of course all of their licensed gear like sleeves, deck boxes, playmats, shirts, hats, shoes, soda and on and on.  The Sorcerer's Apprentice almost even counts in my book, but not quite.

I don't think we can count all of these products as "sets". And I don't even talk about sleeves and deck boxes lol ... but yeah, I see your point in noticing all the side products we get now, it's big.

And, oh, man, you are so flooding the board, aren't you? ;)

And QMark, I loved the spoiler picture xD
Well of course I don't consider any of those in the first section to be "sets" but to say "they figured out how to print 5 sets in a year" is to say "they figured out another way to make more money off of us by making more products we will want to buy".  I think many of us, myself included think of Magic as 4ish sets a year but sets are not their only products anymore, not even close, and we will collectively buy tons of these smaller products without realizing how much more there is to buy now.
There's a world of difference between "booster packs you have to at least marginally buy into to remain competitive" and "boxed product".
So! This explains why I'm sick and tired of seeing Jace everywhere!

I always saw it as the folks in marketing thought players would think Jace was "cool". So they put him everywhere. I don't find him nearly as cool as Gideon or Ajani Venjeant myself.
They didn't mention that he was also on the Counterspell in the Jace vs. Chandra duel deck.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

Noticed that too, only it seems to be a fancy Mek'leth to me.
Wait, this is a Magic forum...
Seriously though, the extra cards could mean anything, but the missing expansion symbol is really baffling. I really hope this is an omission that will soon be revealed (maybe in a making magic column?).

They didn't mention that he was also on the Counterspell in the Jace vs. Chandra duel deck.

He was also on a Fact or Fiction.

On another note, I need to learn how to sblock like now because there was a bit more spoileriffic info leaked today about this new block.

Got it

Show

Scars of Mirrodin Game Day is offering special prizes for "affiliated" decks.  It sounds like there are some kind(s) of factions you or your deck can be a part of in Mirrodin block that can make your deck affiliated.

Some people have claimed to see watermarks on cards like it was done in Ravnica block to denote cards for a specific guild like Azorius Signet but that these new ones can be a Mirrodin symbol, whatever that is, or a phyrexian symbol shown on about every other phyrexian card or here: www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.a...

This could set us up for something like playing a good or evil deck the whole way along this block and then by the third set we choose a good or evil pack.

Source?
@Qmark:
The picture was amusing the first time I saw it, but now it's starting to feel a bit old ;)

I always saw it as the folks in marketing thought players would think Jace was "cool". So they put him everywhere. I don't find him nearly as cool as Gideon or Ajani Venjeant myself.

Yes, I think that he's considered to be the cool Planeswalkers that teenagers want to be like. Or something.
And he's also in some other cards too, like Jace's Erasure and [c]Jace's Ingenuity[/C],
--->
57817638 wrote:
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
99812049 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
82032421 wrote:
56747598 wrote:
56874518 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
Doug Beyer:
141434757 wrote:
57927608 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
143229641 wrote:
Dymecoar:
Omega137:
Zigeif777:
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
"A player who concedes or eliminates him or herself is disqualified from the event. If a player is decked, he or she still loses but may continue in the event."

Guys, this rule doesn't work.
Cards like Jinxed Choker and Jinxxed Idol literally become "Ban target player from this tournament and deny them any prize support."

This is extremely unhealthy for a multiplayer game. If a player wants to concede, or 'needs' to, that's perfectly fine.

Back in the 4th edition starter deck boxes (back before precons and tournament packs) there was a note that said that when a player would die, he effectively teleports out at the last second and does not die. There are still players who play the game that way and it's perfectly reasonable.

If I attack with 2 living hives to a defenseless opponent and have a noble purpose in play but I'm at 5 life, I've made a mistake. That player can forfeit during the declare blockers phase, preventing me from gaining any life or getting any insect tokens, in the exact same way that baneslayer can't gain me any life if she's trying to deal damage to something that is not there.

This is a perfectly valid move that encourages smart gameplay and the concept of weighing the risk and the reward. Do not overextend for the win unless you have a backup plan.

There will always be players who are opposed to the idea and think that you should never leave the game in such a way as to punish the player who killed you. They're obviously upset at the idea that someone no longer in the game should be able to affect it - but that's not really how it's working. It allows players with no other options to make their death memorable and to be a contender up to and including their death.

Creating rules to discourage this is inadvisable because they backfire very easily.

Were you thinking of playing Phage in this format? good luck. one good play from a single opponent and you don't just lose, you get kicked out of the tournament. Cards shouldn't do that unless they have silver borders, and if you're going to allow stuff like that, go all out.
"A player who concedes or eliminates him or herself is disqualified from the event. If a player is decked, he or she still loses but may continue in the event."

Guys, this rule doesn't work.
Cards like Jinxed Choker and Jinxxed Idol literally become "Ban target player from this tournament and deny them any prize support."

This is extremely unhealthy for a multiplayer game. If a player wants to concede, or 'needs' to, that's perfectly fine.

Back in the 4th edition starter deck boxes (back before precons and tournament packs) there was a note that said that when a player would die, he effectively teleports out at the last second and does not die. There are still players who play the game that way and it's perfectly reasonable.

If I attack with 2 living hives to a defenseless opponent and have a noble purpose in play but I'm at 5 life, I've made a mistake. That player can forfeit during the declare blockers phase, preventing me from gaining any life or getting any insect tokens, in the exact same way that baneslayer can't gain me any life if she's trying to deal damage to something that is not there.

This is a perfectly valid move that encourages smart gameplay and the concept of weighing the risk and the reward. Do not overextend for the win unless you have a backup plan.

There will always be players who are opposed to the idea and think that you should never leave the game in such a way as to punish the player who killed you. They're obviously upset at the idea that someone no longer in the game should be able to affect it - but that's not really how it's working. It allows players with no other options to make their death memorable and to be a contender up to and including their death.

Creating rules to discourage this is inadvisable because they backfire very easily.

Were you thinking of playing Phage in this format? good luck. one good play from a single opponent and you don't just lose, you get kicked out of the tournament. Cards shouldn't do that unless they have silver borders, and if you're going to allow stuff like that, go all out.

I think you got the wrong thread, buddy.
Sign In to post comments