7/16/2010 LD: "More than Meets the Eye"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Clearly you are good at your job since you made Amry of Allah cost more. Just like you made time twister cost more, but make a seriously better serra angel. You have mad skillz yo.
Vess is the only one that lets you search.

Vess gets my vote:-)

(Beyond just lands...)
I just want to say great job on M11. I had so much fun at the prerelease. I built a deck with a full three combos (Viscera Seer + Reassembling Skeleton , Chandra's Spitfire + Prodigal Pyromancer and Fire Sevant + a lot of burn). I never even thought that was possible with a core set. This one's head and shoulders above M10.

I have absolutely no doubt you guys would tell us if the new format was worse than the previous one, which means your endorsement of this one is entirely convincing.

The problem of drafting strategies like Jace's Erasure and Tome Scour, is that they are bad enough that you can basically force it and get all of them and end with a good limited deck (unless the random distribution fails and you don't get enough Tome Scours in your draft pool), but even if you win with that deck, at the end of the draft you come home with many copies of Jace's Erasure and Tome Scour, which are rather useless cards, instead of all the cool cards you could have drafted instead.

Of course, there's also the problem with good cards like Leyline of the Void, which are pretty poor picks in draft, but that probably are better than most rares you would pull from a booster if you won the tourney, so they get first picked regardless of how useless they are in limited.

My playgroup allows people to write down one card from every booster they open in the draft, correcting these problems a bit. I think you guys should make it an option in Magic Online, because it's an issue hard to spot when you are a developer, all your cards are worth the same in your eyes and you are not allowed to sell or keep the cards.

EDIT: Another option would be making an extra draft phase after the tournament with the entire pool of cards, let the winner start and the loser chooses two cards in a row, much like the "entire set" drafts works.
The problem of drafting strategies like Jace's Erasure and Tome Scour, is that they are bad enough that you can basically force it and get all of them and end with a good limited deck (unless the random distribution fails and you don't get enough Tome Scours in your draft pool), but even if you win with that deck, at the end of the draft you come home with many copies of Jace's Erasure and Tome Scour, which are rather useless cards, instead of all the cool cards you could have drafted instead.

Of course, there's also the problem with good cards like Leyline of the Void, which are pretty poor picks in draft, but that probably are better than most rares you would pull from a booster if you won the tourney, so they get first picked regardless of how useless they are in limited.

My playgroup allows people to write down one card from every booster they open in the draft, correcting these problems a bit. I think you guys should make it an option in Magic Online, because it's an issue hard to spot when you are a developer, all your cards are worth the same in your eyes and you are not allowed to sell or keep the cards.

EDIT: Another option would be making an extra draft phase after the tournament with the entire pool of cards, let the winner start and the loser chooses two cards in a row, much like the "entire set" drafts works.

If you draft a lot you'll quickly run into that problem even with the good commons and uncommons.
I make Menger sponges after drafts now and if anyone wants one of my commons, they are welcome to it.

Our group (in non-sanctioned play) redrafts all the rares. I like that this encourages risky plays (like Tome Scour decks) and suppresses raredrafting good cards you can't use, but at the same time, I never get to keep good stuff that I open. I have a lot of middle-of-the-road rares.

Great job of M11, well done. It seems fun for limited, with interesting cards for constructed.

All you need to do now is get rid of mythics and i'll be very happy. I didn't see that option on the vote.

Seriously, though, good job.

I have absolutely no doubt you guys would tell us if the new format was worse than the previous one, which means your endorsement of this one is entirely convincing.

LOL. That is what I was thinking. I've been around the website long enough to know that whatever set has just been released is always better than the sets that came before it. Not that I can blame them for promoting thier product (or that I even disagree with the sentiment) but it just seems strange that anyone would take your words without a grain of salt.
Don't be too smart to have fun
The Magic 2011 Prerelease was last weekend, and the set's Launch Parties are this coming weekend. That's an exciting time for us because it is fun to watch the beginning of a set's reception, and it also puts the spotlight on the Limited format that we spent so much effort to create. Today, I'll talk about that effort, and why I'm so proud of Magic 2011's Limited format.

We've gotten lots of feedback that Rise of the Eldrazi Booster Draft is awesome. That is a huge credit to Matt Place, who was the lead developer of the set. His efforts to build lots of things to work with and intricate synergies into his set paid off massively. He ended up with a very deep Limited format as a result. There were plenty of fun decks to draft, card evaluation wasn't always obvious, and many cards could do surprising things in the right circumstances. Although Magic 2011 does not have as many new mechanics in it, we were still eager to apply as many of the lessons we learned from Rise of the Eldrazi as we could. Along the way, we discovered a few other things we could do to make the set great for Limited. We'll start with the most obvious one.

Are we getting a honest talk about constructed anytime soon?
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
The Magic 2011 Prerelease was last weekend, and the set's Launch Parties are this coming weekend. That's an exciting time for us because it is fun to watch the beginning of a set's reception, and it also puts the spotlight on the Limited format that we spent so much effort to create. Today, I'll talk about that effort, and why I'm so proud of Magic 2011's Limited format.

We've gotten lots of feedback that Rise of the Eldrazi Booster Draft is awesome. That is a huge credit to Matt Place, who was the lead developer of the set. His efforts to build lots of things to work with and intricate synergies into his set paid off massively. He ended up with a very deep Limited format as a result. There were plenty of fun decks to draft, card evaluation wasn't always obvious, and many cards could do surprising things in the right circumstances. Although Magic 2011 does not have as many new mechanics in it, we were still eager to apply as many of the lessons we learned from Rise of the Eldrazi as we could. Along the way, we discovered a few other things we could do to make the set great for Limited. We'll start with the most obvious one.

What exactly does this mean?

Doesn't bring in as much money, so they don't care as much. Or maybe it's actually bringing in more money than before with the influx of new players?

What exactly does this mean?

For some reason I always get the "server error" page when I try to open the link to the Latest Developments columen archive, so these numbers may be not exact but you know where I'm heading to.

Of the 7 - 8 last LD articles:

4 of them in a row were about the awesomeness that was RoE limited.
Both the aura week and the level up week conveniently focused on limited, where they were almost guaranteed to see play, skipping the fact that they both sucked in any constructed format.
3 of them were about M11 previews, one of them way ahead of schedule when the most obvious topic to talk about was precisely the impact of RoE in constructed.
1 of them actually touched constructed: the B & R list changes for which the pressure for an answer was impossible to ignore. Funny enough, they decided that the most relevant change, Extended, were discussed in The Week that Was column.

Now that M11 is out, LaPille decides that it is time "to give Limited the spotlight"? For Standard to be their most relevant format by far, it is ridiculous that all that we got is that inherently flawed poll asking "Do you like Standard?" to anyone including the people that never actually sits down at a tournanment table to participate in DCI sanctioned events.

On another topic and to be fair, M11 limited has been fun indeed and the pace of the format is good. I fear that UW skies is a little overpowered but so far I have been having enjoying different colors and archetypes. Keep Limited fun but please don't sacrifice Constructed value just to cater for a format that lasts about two months.

Huge props for not including obvious chase Mythics like Lotus Cobras or Vengevines this time. This may be reflected in lower numbers in today's poll but it is overall good for the game. Hope this sets gets better sales than M10 just for this.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited