Is Extened Still Dead?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
So extended has always been a weird format as it was a format were combo was big but so was a creature based strategy. Compared to say standard which was mostly creature and control then legacy which is really all combo type decks. (there is some none combo legacy decks as well as a zoo variant).
So with this do people think with the change that extended will pick up? Or is the change meaningless if they don't put more focus on it as they do for standard. And if they didn't do the change but made extended more viable as a competitive format were there is about a tournament a week that has a cash prize would more people play.

Reason i bring this up is we just held a Extended tournament at the shop and the prize was 500$ store credit for first place and then 2nd was 200$ and 3rd was 100$, but even then we only had about 21 people (workers can't play in the tournament sadly) and the meta game was roughly this:

Jund type decks: 5
Faeries: 8
UGR: 3
Other: 5 (there was 1 LD type deck )

Top 3 were:
Jund
Faerie
Jund

So it doesn't even seem all that interesting at the moment. Are average FNM is about 20 or so people and when we hold tournaments for standard or legacy its normally 30+.

So does it just need to pick up? People still aren't comfortable with playing Extended even now so that you spend almost the same as you would on a legacy deck?

Thoughts?
Started to write 2 articles a week on getting ready for GP Toronto were i will be talking about getting ready for sealed. The first one is up so go check it out on PMP post.
The bigger hurdle is that people who are looking to get into extended aren't gonna touch the format until the rotation in september. No one wants to play against goyf and burning willows if it means you need your own in order to compete.

Photobucket
I somewhat disagree. At least in my area, the problem is that Extended hasn't got any additional support from the store since the changes, so basically none wants to explore the possibilities of the format since there aren't tournaments. I think that people could easily work around Grove if they were willing to try (Tectonic Edge is a universal answer against it). So far people is porting their old standard decks just for pure laziness. If there were money involved, we would see quite evolved decklist (Amsterdam will surely prove this right).
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
My go-to shop in the fall doesn't have any Extended scheduled on its event calanders.  That's literally the only place that I know of where I'd be able to go, so if they don't host anything, I sadly won't have anywhere to actually play Extended (which royally pisses me off).  More shops need to host Extended events.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

My go-to shop in the fall doesn't have any Extended scheduled on its event calanders.  That's literally the only place that I know of where I'd be able to go, so if they don't host anything, I sadly won't have anywhere to actually play Extended (which royally pisses me off).  More shops need to host Extended events.

Don't expect it Scars rotates in in the fall meaning that most people are going to be focusing on the drastic changes in standard.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I somewhat disagree. At least in my area, the problem is that Extended hasn't got any additional support from the store since the changes, so basically none wants to explore the possibilities of the format since there aren't tournaments. I think that people could easily work around Grove if they were willing to try (Tectonic Edge is a universal answer against it). So far people is porting their old standard decks just for pure laziness. If there were money involved, we would see quite evolved decklist (Amsterdam will surely prove this right).

You're going to see R-U-G dominate the format in Amsterdam because ancestral is still legal, goyf is still legal, and burnwillows is still legal. Porting their old standard decks has a lot less to do with laziness and a lot more to do with goyf's price.

Like Bughferd said, it's only going to be interesting once that crap roates out in october.

Photobucket
I somewhat disagree. At least in my area, the problem is that Extended hasn't got any additional support from the store since the changes, so basically none wants to explore the possibilities of the format since there aren't tournaments.

i agree with that. If the stores are unwilling to support the format, then the majority of the player base wont bother with it. This was the problem with extended in the first place. wizards claims they changed extended because no one payed attention to it outside of extended season and that this change would hopefully breath life into the format and allow newer players to get involved in extended. Problem is that the stores chose not to hold extended or even attempt(not like it costs money to get sanctioning numbers). if wizards would have put more effort in to promoting extended the way they do with FMN(generally type 2), they wouldn't have had to change the format. the most they ever did to promote extended was extended season, some PTs and the such and some lame FMN cards(admit it, most FMN foils are pretty bad. who the hell wants cloudpost espically after the fact that its no longer usable). and now the extended is more "noob" friendly, its not going to be as fun. new players are going to attempt to play horrible type 2 decks that have what ever cheap lorwyn block cards they could get in them against tier 1 decks from formats before M10. I honestly feel bad because we start extended this week where i live and besides me and 4(2 of which will be playing extended) of my friends, the rest of the field at the shop i attend has become heavilly populated with players that have less then a year's experiance, and we're going to be walking in with UWr Lark combo, fae, Swans and 5cc against the guys trying to play they're almost completely precons.

It also seems to be a problem that people are horrible at innovating, I'm watching an extended daily on mtgo atm and the decks are just awful and the only decent decks people are playing are living end and fae.
But you were deceived.

You're going to see R-U-G dominate the format in Amsterdam because ancestral is still legal, goyf is still legal, and burnwillows is still legal. Porting their old standard decks has a lot less to do with laziness and a lot more to do with goyf's price.

Like Bughferd said, it's only going to be interesting once that crap roates out in october.

Where could I find a sample list of RUG? I always hear about it but have no idea what it is.
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.

Where could I find a sample list of RUG? I always hear about it but have no idea what it is.

Me too
Are you scared?
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
But you were deceived.
lmgtfy.com/?q=RUG+extended+deck

Its a trap!

Theiz do you know where people who can't google end up living?
89522235 wrote:

Its a trap!

Probably there parents house? Cause I know I'd never make it out of school without google.
But you were deceived.
All worship the mighty GOOGLE!!
Started to write 2 articles a week on getting ready for GP Toronto were i will be talking about getting ready for sealed. The first one is up so go check it out on PMP post.

Its a trap!

Probably there parents house? Cause I know I'd never make it out of school without google.

You failed me Theiz.
89522235 wrote:

Its a trap!

You failed me Theiz.

lmgtfy.com/?q=where+do+people+who+can%27...

google failed me... probably should stop spamming..

But you were deceived.

Its a trap!

You failed me Theiz.

lmgtfy.com/?q=where+do+people+who+can%27...

google failed me... probably should stop spamming..

I feel like the right answer was some kind of motor vehicle by a body of water.
89522235 wrote:

Don't expect it Scars rotates in in the fall meaning that most people are going to be focusing on the drastic changes in standard.

Yeah... I talked to the store owner today.  His answer to "Are you going to do any Extended here" was "that's a good question."  If they do host Extended tournaments (which is iffy anyway), it'll be on Wednesday evenings, when I have a 3 hour film lab every week.

So, yeah, looks like no Extended for me.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Extended died in my area a year ago. The owner wants to run it again, but there is no interest outside of me and a few others. I haven't gone to the shop since the huge change to extended so maybe things have changed but I doubt it.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
there'll be loads of interest once rotation happens, ptqs will force netdeckers to care about extended then, since their source of decks will be publishing extended ones.  also there'll more decklists for netdckers to netdeck, since the pros' lists will be published.
Before the change, my local store did Extended every Wednesday, and I think that's still the same after the change. The owner is also trying to drum up some Legacy interest. I guess it depends on what will bring people into the store.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

:P i know where i live extended kinda died hard with the changes, because all of the folk there got p'd off that thepts just completely rolled over and died.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]