7/13/2010 LI: "Digging My Own Grave"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I personally would have went R/G Aggro with his sealed pool. Cut the Bloodcrazed Goblin (only 1 spell and 1 ability that could damage a player before combat) and Demolish (has Naturalize for Artifact destruction, added Juggernaut (triggers Garruk's Packleader) then put in Terramorphic Expanse and 15 Basic Land. 25 spells/15 Basic Land (40 cards). But I REALLY like playing R/G so that's the first thing I noticed.
Yes, white/black all the way with that pool. Ajani n 2 Blinding Mages is extreme incentive to go white, and with all the Specters/Gravediggers black is awesome. Plus b/w is my favourite arhetype that seldom works, so I was double happy to see this.

More!

Agree entirely that WB is the way to go with that sealed deck.  I don't think RG is as strong and I would also worry about only playing 16 land with such an aggro deck.

Out of interest, in Steve's build I would have run 17 land, what are other people's thoughts?

I think 18 is correct for land count thanks to mr Vengeful Archon. If you cut that you'd need another creature and none others would have a similar level of effect (probably Siege Mastodon becoz that 5 toughness is hard to punch through). I ran Platinum Angel at my PR and never played her when I drew her, because I wanted to play cheaper spells still in hand. Had it been the Archon though that's completely different.
"I had Serra AngelAjani Goldmane, and Vengeful Archon to take over games single handedly with (and two Gravediggers to get my top flyers back should they meet an unfortunate end at the hands of a Doom Blade or it's ilk)."

I'll get flamed for this, but secretly all other grammarians are wondering this too...where is your copy editor?  This is the official MtG site and you should know the difference between its and it's.
Obvious build for WB, as Steve said, a no-brainer. And indeed keep the heavy black as he did, removal is key in this bomb format, as is card draw (in any format).
The blinding mages, steel overseer and even stormfront pegasus will keep fast decks at bay if racing is not possible, backed up by gravediggers, as good explained by Steve. Attrition is fine with his kind of deck, the end game this deck will win almost most of the time.
The deck can still have sick fast draws with all the flyers.

Indeed 18 land is correct with the terramorphic expanse, which drawn and used early will feels like you play 17, and this deck with the strong mid-end game doesn't want to miss a land drop. You need the mana to use the mages. Of course flooding can occur, but here the two sign in bloods will help you to get out of it.

Excommunicate over safe passage I am not sure. Depends really on the matchup. I think I would have started with safe passage as well, but use excommunicate if faced a non-red or more controllish matchup
I didn't think the green in this pool was as weak as Steve did, though it strikes me as obvious that white is his strongest colour. I'd run predominantly white with green secondary, and a splash of black for the Doom Blade and one or both Gravediggers. Despite having three colours rather than two, this build doesn't need double green until quite late and doesn't need double black at all (whereas Steve's build ideally wants three or four swamps fairly early), and has the Cultivate and the Ranger. The artifact creatures also help minimize the likelihood of being hurt badly by colour mismatches.

Having said all that, it does hurt to have two Sign in Blood and not run them, but his black seems quite weak to me in terms of creatures, whereas green has 1.5 bombs and a few decent roleplayers. That's still not ideal but it seems preferable to what black brings to the table.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I would have to agree that green is way to go for the second color, and splash black for the doomblade and digger(s). The synergy between the packleader and all (8) of his 3+ power creatures is awesome as well as having a gaea's revenge!!! His black is less than stellar as a second color but not as a support color. Having cultivate, ranger and expanse makes it easy.

2 Blinding Mage
1 Gravedigger
1 Juggernaut
1 Serra Angel
1 Stone Golem
1 Vengeful Archon
2 Siege Mastodon
2 Stromfront Pegasus
1 Awakener Druid
1 Runeclaw Bear
1 Gaea's Revenge
1 Garruk's Packleader
1 Spined Wurm
1 Sylvan Ranger

1 Ajani Goldmane
1 Condemn
1 Doom Blade
1 Cultivate
1 Giant Growth
1 Naturalize

1 Terramorphic Expanse
2 Swamp
7 Forest
7 Plains

Having played in 3 different sealed events, I have found that you need more than a few finishers and having only 4 in your build means you're going to lose to the deck with more. Green has some of the best finishers in the set and they are mostly common, also there is a lot of removal in this set and having more finishers than your opponents removal is a good thing.

Just my informed opinion. I went 3-1, 3-1, 4-0. My 4-0 was 4 color splashing black and red for doom blade, fireballx2, lightning bolt, and assassinate.
Sign In to post comments