Did anyone make it 5 encounters w/o a full rest?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am just wondering if any group managed their resources continually and made it thru all 5 weeks without any fudging.  From what I hear healing surges were at a premium.

Personally I think these modules need to go to a 3 encounters/day setup.
Selling MTGO collection. Ends Aug 18 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mtgo-magic-online-collection-4x-Domri-Garruk-caller-kalonian-hydra-more/111143412594?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=001&category=49195&cmd=ViewItem
my group managed i think 5 is just fine though i think we need at least one non combat encounter every chapter.
We had a lot of player churn (increasing numbers, but lots of churn) which really helped everyone make it to the end (new PCs coming in w/ full surges and unused daily powers).  But I still had to fudge almost every week to prevent a TPK.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

The saving factor for my character was that one of the other characters (Jarvix?) has the Commrade's Succor ritual, which allowed us to redistribute healing surges from those who had extra to those who direly needed them.

All our groups managed all 5 encounters w/o and extended rest; our non-DM games did have a degree of churning, however.
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
FlintLocke we did have churn but I penalized the players who came in late.  e.g. those that came in on the last encounter only had 2 healing surges.

—Guncici
Both of my tables made it thru without a long rest. I did lower most monsters damage die size in 1-1. In 1-3 both group negotiated with the goblins and faces a smaller combat encounter and in 1-4 I removed one dust devil and replaced it with two brutes to lower the aoe damage. At the end of 1-4 on one table two characters Jarvix and Castri were to one healing surge each Jarvix cast comrade's succor and transfered 2 healing surges, one from each defender to Castri. On my second table at the end of 1-4 Jarvix, Barcan and Castri were all down to one surge, again 2 were transfered to Castri from Shikirr.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Guncici, you're evil; just though you should know.

j/k ;D

FlintLocke we did have churn but I penalized the players who came in late.  e.g. those that came in on the last encounter only had 2 healing surges.

—Guncici

Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
Not a DM so I can't tell how much fudging happened but Shikker was the lone survivor after the 5th encounter.
My table made it thru all 5 sessions without an extended rest.

1 death total at my table as well. Phye died in session 5 when I critted on the poison from a javelin hit. 
My group survived with the help of Jarvix's Commrade's Succor ritual, the defender providing healing surges. to spread the love around. and some tone down encounters. and the wierdest thing I honestly could not hit with the second javelin attack the entire session. my phye was rolling death rolls, but the group manage to get her concious before she died those that did have surges were down to one.

I found that while players who previously had known the Dark Sun setting managed their resources better... all of our players managed to survive (with help from each other in the form of Heal checks, etc) 5 encounters.
We do however feel that for the Encounters Program; that 4 encounters (like last season) between extended rests worked better over-all.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
4 TPKs...

Only Castri died En 1
My players made it with no more than 2 Healing surges each (a few finished with none). Jarvix's Comrade Succor and the Skill Challenge success helped quite a bit.