7/09/2010 LD: "My Favorite Things About Magic 2011"

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Does it still count as "My local store" if the closest one is in the next state?  I'm going to assume the answer is "yes" and check that bubble.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
Congrats for the white leyline. It's all sorts of awesome.

The green one has an effect that feels 100 % white and it's relegated to casual play. I have the impression that the green one was a last minute change after canceling its original incarnation. Can we know what the first effect was? Here are my designs for a green leyline:

"Opponents can only play spells or activate abilities when they could play a sorcery". A improved Leyline of the lifeforce, it lets the green player to do its stuff like playing auras or casting Overruns without the pesky interference of the opponents instants. It may be used by combo players in a very nasty "turn 0 leyline, turn 1 kill you, whether you have the Force of will or not", however. The awesomeness it would be for casual play would have made it worthy to have even if were instantly banned in Legacy - Vintage.

"Whenever you play a creature spell, draw a card" -  A source of draw so the creature swarm never stops going, and it discourages the usual aggro with burn for the finish in favor of more creature centered beatdown. It may frustrate a control player when he gets outdrawn by aggro, but hey, don't you think we also get frustrated when everything we toss gets stopped by Mana leak?

"Creatures are 3 / 3 and have reach" - Imagine an opponent putting Iona or Baneslayer in the battlefield and you claiming "ok, guess I will need to drop another Khalni Garden to past through that or to trade with it"

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
You'll notice that three of the four original Leylines were designed with burn decks in mind.  Wah teh fuh?
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
The green leyline combos well with protean hydra, which is now at rare.  It is also the only leyline where multiple copies are not completely useless, which means stuffing your deck with them isn't so bad and you might actually get one in your opening hand.
"Opponents can only play spells or activate abilities when they could play a sorcery". A improved Leyline of the lifeforce, it lets the green player to do its stuff like playing auras or casting Overruns without the pesky interference of the opponents instants. It may be used by combo players in a very nasty "turn 0 leyline, turn 1 kill you, whether you have the Force of will or not", however. The awesomeness it would be for casual play would have made it worthy to have even if were instantly banned in Legacy - Vintage.

Now this would've been awesome!
Maybe to make it less broken a variant on Defense Grid? "Spells and abilities played during another's turn cost an additional 1/2/3" Would be quite funny against the blue leyline
You'll notice that three of the four original Leylines were designed with burn decks in mind.  Wah teh fuh?

3? I'd say that Leyline of the Meek is more about the +1/ than the /+1 Tongue out
He's talking about the four new Leylines for this set - the red, white and green ones all meant to be used with or against burn decks. 'Original' as opposed to 'reprint' (which is what the black one is).

The green one is still mildly useful against non burn decks though and there is some talk about using the white one against discard and sacrifice effects. The red one could be used even in a creature deck if an opposing "Proclamartyr" style deck became popular.
Maybe a good way to design leylines is to answer this question:

"This game there will be no ____________________ shenanigans."

So the black one says "graveyard." The white one says "discard and burn." The red one says "prevention."

Although, the new blue one says "This game there will be ambush shenanigans." Which is also pretty cool.

The old red one and the new green one are probably the worst of the nine. Their effects are just weak effects that aren't game-breaking when placed on a (0) costed enchantment. It's already questionable if they're worth it for (0), like Ornithopter. But when you have to pay for their minor effects later looks really bad.

Force of Savagery likes the green leyline. haha.
I really look forward to M2011, and believe its an improvement to its predecessor (now blue also blue seems to get some playable cards again, hooray.).

But I can honestly say that I hate the leylines. They are blatant & overpowered hoser cards against certain deck strategies. The fact that a player will beginn a match with them in game, without any chance to react to them makes it even worse.

Aside from the blue one, which at least has a certain effect past simply hosing a deck strategy, each one has an extremely narrow field of application. This turns them usually unplayable for their (often to expensive) casting costs & effect. And still, sometimes they will completley dominate the game if played against certain deck strategies - they´re sideboard cards in the rare slot which simply will create annoying games.

Games like:
"MBC? No sorry, here I start with Leyline of Sanctitiy, GG."
"I have Leyline of Punishment in my opening Hand - don´t have Leyline of Sanctitiy in your openening hand? Lucky me."

I really wish the design team would have been capable to create the leylines with more interesting effects instead of making 4 of them sideboard cards. Not to mention I hoped black also got a new one, yes Leyline of the Void saw "heavy" play, but is that a surprise in a format with dredge & later reanimator? The card doesn´t do ANYTHING against non graveyard-based decks.
He's talking about the four new Leylines for this set - the red, white and green ones all meant to be used with or against burn decks. 'Original' as opposed to 'reprint' (which is what the black one is).

Thank you.  That was a rather unfortunate choice of wording on my part; I meant the ones that are actually new, which have "originality" but are not the ones "originally" printed - whoopsie.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
How come four of the M11 Leylines are asymmetric, but the Red one is symmetric?  Seems like more fun if it only shut off your opponents from gaining life and preventing damage (if they want the effect too, they can play their own Leyline).  (I don't really buy an argument about Red hurting everyone equally - that applies just as much to White, and the White Leyline isn't symmetric.)
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Mitotic Slime is my favourite card in the whole set.

I don't like the green one. It's a pretty poor design, the abilities feel pretty tacked on. It looks they just went "**** what do we do for the green one" and someone said "well green gets pump and lifegain, let's throw that in there". The other ones have a purpose. They're reactive (except for the blue one), do their job well, and are elegant and flavorful. Unlike the green, the blue (the only other non-reactive one) has build-around-me potential and better flavor.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it
The blue one is an anti-counterspell card.  If you wait until the opponent's end step to play your important stuff, you have an easier time getting through the counterspells.

Of course, it is also a counterspell enabler, so it's twice as good.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
I don't like the green one. It's a pretty poor design, the abilities feel pretty tacked on. It looks they just went "**** what do we do for the green one" and someone said "well green gets pump and lifegain, let's throw that in there". The other ones have a purpose. They're reactive (except for the blue one), do their job well, and are elegant and flavorful. Unlike the green, the blue (the only other non-reactive one) has build-around-me potential and better flavor.

I agree with you that the green one does seem like it's cycle filler while the others are the ones giving the cycle purpose.

The green leyline combos well with protean hydra, which is now at rare.  It is also the only leyline where multiple copies are not completely useless, which means stuffing your deck with them isn't so bad and you might actually get one in your opening hand.

This is a very good case for the green one. If you're going to run 4 and give yourself a chance to have it in the opener then it's best to have a card that is good in multiples. With that said I think they could have done a better job on the green one. As it is I think this card's abilities feel uncommon while the others feel rare. It's like a soul warden combined with lumithread field (it does feel white). How did this get the golden expansion symbol?
Don't be too smart to have fun
Am I the only one more than annoyed with the reprint of the black leyline? Graveyard deck designs are a thing of the past, or quickly becoming one. The artifact decks that it would have been useful against have and will lose their most powerful card, considering the decision not to reprint Open the Vaults (They claim it had a good run with Esper and deserves retirement, I believe they didn't reprint it because of the looming Mirrodin block, but no one ever mentions that...). Unearth, while being a short lived and fun mechanic to play with in Standard, is soon going to be cycled out when Alara leaves standard, so again, any use the leyline would have possibly seen is leaving Standard. I think they could have chosen a much better effect for the black leyline, something that would have made sense to new players and the casual player, so that if they did open this card in a pack, they wouldn't feel cheated out a rare.
 As for the green leyline, it at least has use and appeals to more than just the player looking to sideboard it in against certain decks. Casual and new players will see it as a neat buff spell and a soul warden that can't be easily killed, plus, it stacks. Some may believe it feels tacked on to the cycle of leylines, and it may be, but at least it has appeal and minor use in ANY deck you could play it in, which is more than could be said for any other leylines (except the blue one, it's the embodiment of the perfect leyline).
It's not just Guildpact's Leyline of the Void that's an answer Leyline, right?  Leyline of Lifeforce answers counterspell decks, and Leyline of Singularity answers, say, weenie decks with four-ofs of every creature.  That doesn't mean they're good answers.
The causal player is going to see "Haha your unentomb and gravediggers don't work anymore, hahaha!".

And the obvious application for right now is against unearth decks that are still legal for 3 months, and as anti-anti-mill cards.  I for one would really like to try my hand at building a mill deck with all the new great blue mill cards they've printed, and the black Leyline stops stuff like Emrakul and Elixer of immortality from stopping me.

You're also forgetting that it's probably the best answer to Vengevine and Bloodghast that you could possibly ask for.

We also don't know if there are going to be any graveyard shenanigans in Scars.  Artifacts are notorious for being fairly easy to recur, and anything that stops them will be a welcome addition to any deck playing against, I'm sure.
Am I the only one more than annoyed with the reprint of the black leyline? Graveyard deck designs are a thing of the past, or quickly becoming one. The artifact decks that it would have been useful against have and will lose their most powerful card, considering the decision not to reprint Open the Vaults (They claim it had a good run with Esper and deserves retirement, I believe they didn't reprint it because of the looming Mirrodin block, but no one ever mentions that...). Unearth, while being a short lived and fun mechanic to play with in Standard, is soon going to be cycled out when Alara leaves standard, so again, any use the leyline would have possibly seen is leaving Standard. I think they could have chosen a much better effect for the black leyline, something that would have made sense to new players and the casual player, so that if they did open this card in a pack, they wouldn't feel cheated out a rare.
 As for the green leyline, it at least has use and appeals to more than just the player looking to sideboard it in against certain decks. Casual and new players will see it as a neat buff spell and a soul warden that can't be easily killed, plus, it stacks. Some may believe it feels tacked on to the cycle of leylines, and it may be, but at least it has appeal and minor use in ANY deck you could play it in, which is more than could be said for any other leylines (except the blue one, it's the embodiment of the perfect leyline).

No one really complains when they reprint a rare that is in high demand. leyline of the void becomes more accessable to players like myself who don't own any but wish to start playing legacy over the course of the next couple of years because double standard doesn't do much with my collection.

Also the graveyard hate (relic of progenitus) is rotating with alara block as well so they needed some graveyard hate for vengevine, bloodghast and anything printed in scars that might get out of hand.
I don't like to complain about polls as much as the next guy, but I feel a bit wronged when the prerelease I'm attending is not at a store.  It's not a regional one either.  Our group is part of the WPN, but not as a store... so might I request that in the future there is an option something like "( ) Yes, I will attend a local prerelease." instead of "Yes, I will attend a local store prerelease."?
I, for one, love the green Leyline and will happily play it in my token deck. It has a home there at least.

My favorite of the bunch is the red one, since I play RDW in Standard and really missed that effect since Everlasting Torment rotated out. Leyline of Sanctity annoys me, of course, but hey, we'll still be able to bash in with creatures and burn the opponent's creatures. We'll just have to be bright and side out our Searing Blazes, which just cannot be cast under a white Leyline.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
The green Leyline is a little strange in how different it is from the others, but I rather like it.  I might have made it seem more "Leylineish" by making it a rules setting enchantment:  "If a creature you control would have toughness 0 or less, instead its toughness is 1."  Would make a very neat combo with Infest or Mutilate.

Am I the only one more than annoyed with the reprint of the black leyline?

I'm with you.  No matter how much blue decks hate Leyline of Lifeforce, they can Boomerang it.  No matter how much white decks hate Leyline of Punishment, they can Demystify it.  But black can't answer an enchantment, so an enchantment which makes one of black's TWO MOST SIGNATURE EFFECTS completely useless should never have been printed.  This ability on a creature would be harmless, but as is, it's an obscenity.
Seeing how the Black one was getting close to 20$, I'm glad they reprinted it.  
It also serves the purpose of keeping graveyard shenanigans in check in Extended.
Yesterday I played in the M2011 pre-release tournament. I received some first-hand experience with Leyline of Anticipation. I had one in my card pool that I put into my black-and-blue deck. The three times I played it, my opponents always destroyed it quickly with Naturalize or War Priest of Thune.

My longest experience with Leyline of Anticipation was on the other side: one of my opponents played it in his white-and-blue deck. Facing the Leyline of Anticipation was unnerving during combat. My opponent always left mana open, so I knew he could drop a surprise blocker during my Declare Attackers Step. The first time that happened, I had an Unsummon ready. Then I played an Air Servant and attacked only with flying creatures for the rest of the game, because the Air Servant could tap surprise blockers, such as Serra Angel. I was lucky.

Leyline of Anticipation feels so defensive I think its flavor is more white than blue.

I never saw any of the other leylines on the battlefield during my matches.

I was annoyed that my card pool in the pre-release had a nearly full spectrum of charms: Angel's Feather, Dragon's Claw, Kraken's Eye, and Wurm's Tooth, missing only the Demon's Horn. Those artifacts have long been recognized as weak. M2011's white and black lifegain such as Ajani's Mantra and Child of Night are much more effective. Now that Leyline of Punishment can shut them down right from the beginning, they seem even more useless.

One more observation, though not about leylines. The pre-release tournament had many more participants who had never played Limited before than the other pre-release tournaments I attended. The tournament organizer said she had to give out a lot more new DCI numbers. This is strong evidence that Wizards of the Coast's plan for the core sets is effective in attracting new players.
I think they are definitely achieving the goal of bringing the new players into the game. I would not be surprised to find out that this set did almost as well as last year's core. One thing that helps is that DOTP just came out for PC recently. I've played it - it's Magic lite, but the experience of slinging cards is there at least. 
Yesterday I played in the M2011 pre-release tournament. I received some first-hand experience with Leyline of Anticipation. I had one in my card pool that I put into my black-and-blue deck. The three times I played it, my opponents always destroyed it quickly with Naturalize or War Priest of Thune.

My longest experience with Leyline of Anticipation was on the other side: one of my opponents played it in his white-and-blue deck. Facing the Leyline of Anticipation was unnerving during combat. My opponent always left mana open, so I knew he could drop a surprise blocker during my Declare Attackers Step. The first time that happened, I had an Unsummon ready. Then I played an Air Servant and attacked only with flying creatures for the rest of the game, because the Air Servant could tap surprise blockers, such as Serra Angel. I was lucky.

Leyline of Anticipation feels so defensive I think its flavor is more white than blue.

I never saw any of the other leylines on the battlefield during my matches.

I was annoyed that my card pool in the pre-release had a nearly full spectrum of charms: Angel's Feather, Dragon's Claw, Kraken's Eye, and Wurm's Tooth, missing only the Demon's Horn. Those artifacts have long been recognized as weak. M2011's white and black lifegain such as Ajani's Mantra and Child of Night are much more effective. Now that Leyline of Punishment can shut them down right from the beginning, they seem even more useless.

One more observation, though not about leylines. The pre-release tournament had many more participants who had never played Limited before than the other pre-release tournaments I attended. The tournament organizer said she had to give out a lot more new DCI numbers. This is strong evidence that Wizards of the Coast's plan for the core sets is effective in attracting new players.

I am glad to hear about the new players. I've always said the more players the better. I don't like the increasing price of playing and remaining competitive but maybe the two go hand in hand (though I certainly hope not).

I think ajani's mantra is just as bad as any of the artifact lifegain you mentioned. First it can only be played if you have white mana to cast it. Second it maxes out at one life per turn while the others can pay big dividends if you're playing a mono colored deck. Of course child of night is better. Even if it didn't have lifelink it would be better than the artifact lifegain.
The only "latest development" I get from this shabby article is that Mr. LaPille's ego is gradually reaching MaRo size, which isn't exactly news.