7/09/2010 TWTW: "Walking the Red Carpet with M11"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Protip: Knight Exemplar is a "she".

Harsh reality: Cardboard doesn't have gender.

I am confused about the reprinted Fork (Reverberate).

Quoting the most recent reprint policy:

Reserved cards will never be printed again in a functionally identical form. A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness.

Does not compute??

Edit: To clarify even more, Fork is on the reserved list, a policy that was recently tightened by WotC in that reserved cards will no longer be reprinted as functional copies. Twincast was a functional copy of the reserved card Fork.
Of all the new Leylines, this is the one that seems to have an impact on the most formats reaching all the way back into Vintage. Turns out a better-than-Ivory-Mask Ivory Mask that you can have before the game starts is really good in formats where people are looking to Tendrils of Agony you out in the first few turns of the game. Obviously the ability to have the Leyline before the game starts makes it better than Ivory Mask but the fact that you can still target yourself makes it even better. Especially in formats with targeted card draw like .Compulsive Research or Ancestral Recall.

I'm not Mr. SM, but I think that's a misguided view of Vintage. Getting stormed out might be more of a Legacy thing now. The cool new thing to do in Vintage is to go infinite with Time Vault and swing for lethal with your 5/5 moxen. And the *awesome* thing about this deck is that the only non-singletons that it plays are 4x Force of Will, 1-2x Tezzeret the Seeker, and potentially Mana Drain, but not always. So there's not even anything that Wizards could restrict if they wanted to.

hey noobs: fork you

I'm glad WotC let you print that. =)

"Fork You" was also a deck back in the day. I'm pretty sure it was type 1.5, now Legacy. The concept of the deck was this: your deck has good spells in it, my deck has good spells in it, and this whole format is defined by good spells. Therefore 4x maindeck Fork is never a dead card! (Except when it is, hush.)

This also solves my problem of not having Fork online. I wouldn't have wanted 5 maindeck forks anyway. So I'll just use these. Fork is relevant in Legacy so this brings us one step closer to being "legit". Now if only you guys had promo'd REB instead of BEB. Why BEB?

EDIT: Maatn, a forked Doom Blade can hit a White Knight, but a reverberated one cannot.

EDIT: Maatn, a forked Doom Blade can hit a White Knight, but a reverberated one cannot.

@Katastrophe: I see...it's a functional reprint of twincast.
Elegant and effective.

Now lets hope more cards from the reserved list get this treatment.

Is Harm's Way going to be reprinted some time soon? (Refer to first paragraph under RED)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

Harsh reality: Cardboard doesn't have gender.

The card clearly depicts a female character. One usually refers to the either the card itself (using "it") or the character on it (using an appropriate gendered pronoun). By using a gendered pronoun, the author made it clear that he was refering to the character, but he chose the wrong pronoun.

Edit: To clarify even more, Fork is on the reserved list, a policy that was recently tightened by WotC in that reserved cards will no longer be reprinted as functional copies. Twincast was a functional copy of the reserved card Fork.

Twincast is not a functional copy of fork.  Even if it were, weaseling around the Reprint Policy via a color-change was a major operating theory of Planar Chaos.

But anyway...
Fork:
Copy target instant or sorcery spell, except that the copy is red. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Reverberate:
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
when he was talking about the red and white decks, he said, "...while red decks will have to look at keeping a plains in their sideboard to fetch with Arid Mesas."
     can some one please explain why a red deck would need 1 plains or an Arid Mesa? seems i missed something.

also please explain how to link cards on the forums please
You'd need white for Demystify or another anti-enchantment spell to get rid of the white Leyline, since that's not part of Red's color pie.

The Arid Mesas are in the deck to allow Searing Blaze to work on your opponent's turn.  See also: Plated Geopede, any other landfall effect.

The reason you would include only a single plains is because you can fetch it with any of the 4 Arid Mesas that would be in the deck, so it's like having 5 without having to waste 4 extra land spaces.  And you'll want that plains to be there because, well, you're going to want to use War Priest of Thune or Demystify to get rid of the Leyline of Sanctity that's preventing you from burning your opponent's face off.

And to autocard, you use the tag (c), except with [ ] instead of ( )
there's a section of BDM's (excellent, by the way) article that might as well read....

so this spell works well with Jace.... and here's a deck I'm thinking I want to put together with four copies of Jace.... this card would be very good if it weren't competing with Jace

Ban Jace. Please.
Sign In to post comments