PRE RELEASE DECK IDEAS

So you beautiful happy shiny people, what decks do you think will be strong at the pre - release. What will you be aiming/hoping to build and why?
I'm going to try and build a lifegain deck and lose horribly... but slowly.
Blue/white flyers, hopefully with a titan in either colors, some mana leaks, and a pack of squadron hawks.

Red/black rock, hopefully with a titan in either colors, some doom blades, and a pack of generic burn spells.

Green/black rock, hopefully with a titan in either colors, some doom blades and ramp, and a pack of fatty creatures.

Photobucket
I think I like the sound of deck three the most. I've asked you this before razor but you never answered. Is your name anything to do with a certain porcine beast from a certain fantasy game? it must be surely.
I think I like the sound of deck three the most. I've asked you this before razor but you never answered. Is your name anything to do with a certain porcine beast from a certain fantasy game? it must be surely.

I actually got the name from a boss in world of warcraft.

Photobucket
Ahh....well this is a razorgor

I like the idea of Black/Blue control.
STI - Standard Tier 1 Infect IMAGE(http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2500/infect.png)Credit goes to zpikduM for the image.
it's like a manticore except with razors and it gores you?

anyway, I'm thinking that you'll surely run into a deck with a bomby mythic/rare creature, so if it's possibly to run good removal that's probably key.

most importantly, though, you should try to figure what the strongest colors you open are, with a good curve. and try to stick to two colors, three colors usually isn't good.
Its actually some sort of mutated warthog the size of a Horse and capable of running through a castle wall. Used as beasts of war by th Beastmen.

Heres a link if you're interested.
www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat340002a&aId=6200005a

I've wanted to ask Razor about his name for ages.

Back on topic. I think I might try aand go for a black/white deck providing I get the condems and doomblades i'm hoping for. They both seem like strong colours but I am very new to limited play so I could be way off base here. Whatever I end up building i'm sure the event will be loadsa fun. I'm soo excited about this set it looks incredible. Laughing
I expect to see more green played than any other color.  Green is awesome in M11, and with Cultivate, Sylvan Ranger, etc, it enables splashes and 3 color decks.  Fauna Shaman and Obstinate Baloth are rares but Garruk's Packleader and Acidic Slime are uncommon, so expect to see those.

White is very strong, even without the mythics.  Flyers, creature removal, enchantment/artifact removal, first strike, lifegain, lots of good stuff.

Red has some good stuff, including one powerful combo you're bound to see in almost every red deck- Act of Treason and Fling.  Both are commons, so yeah, that will happen.  Count on it.  Fire Servant is nasty too.  I can see people building a deck around direct damage with either Servant or Reverberate, especially since the servants are uncommon.  Generally speaking, if a Fire Servant hits the table, you've got to kill it.

Black has creature kill and Diabolic Tutor, as well as a little lifegain.  Discard isn't bad in sealed, as long as you don't go up against Sanctity.

Blue can make for a nice control deck, with common counterspells and uncommon Mind Control.  Any color can potentially strengthen that control aspect with removal and slightly better (on average) creatures.

I hope I pull good rares of course, but other than that I want green with Cultivates, birds, Sylvan Ranger, Packleader, etc so I can thin out my deck a little and worry less about mana.  Then I'll grab a second or even third color for creature kill and the best cards I pull.  My dream deck would look something like this:

BSA
Fauna Shaman
Birds
Llanowar Elves
Sylvan Ranger x2
Obstinate Baloth
Garruk's Packleader x2
Cudgel Troll
Serra Angel
Squadron Hawk x3

Sorcerer's Strongbox

Cultivate x3
Condemn x3
Garruk Wildspeaker
Day of Judgement
Naturalize x2

Sunpetal Grove
Forest 9
Plains 6

Let's see if I actually pull any of this stuff.
^ Great post i really enjoyed reading that and liked the look of your ideal deck too. You'll have to post again after the weekend and lets see how close you actually got to it eh?
Cudgel Troll is insanely good in a sealed pool. He's staying on the board unless your opponent is playing white and was lucky enough to pull a condemn.

Photobucket
Speaking of Cudgel Troll- I noticed today that Day of Judgement does not say creatures can't regenerate.  So he can.  Really nice if you happen to pull both.
Yeah, I personally find the Troll to be almost good enough for Standard play after Path rotates... definitely a high pick for me in Drafting. I'm always partial to U/G Ramp/Draw with a splash for removal, especially in core sets. I find that dropping the big dude a turn earlier than the opponent is usually pretty helpful.

However, I fully intend to win the Sealed this time around, so I'm not sure how much drafting I'll get to do. I took something like 55/70 at my first sealed and 2/24 at my second, so here's to "third time's the charm."

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Haha I had nearly the same experience during the ROE pre-release. I ended up going 3-2 with a complete dogshit deck the first day, then managed to land Gideon + Lightmine field along with powerhouse white and green cards and went undefeated to win it the second day. I don't think I've seen a more broken limited combo than Gid and Lightmine...

Photobucket
Well the first sealed was Zen and the second was RoE, lol. I haven't played a lot of it. The funny thing was, I showed people my deck for RoE, and it was utter crap, and everyone who looked at it agreed with me. The thing is that it was a highly synergistic pile of crap in a room full of goodstuff sealed decks. Funny how that works. The finals match that I lost was due to a top-decked Linvala shutting down my Drana in back-to-back games... thoroughly depressing.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

I suck at Sealed, am awesome at drafing. So I probably will win tomorrow and scrub out on Saturday.
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
Drana is the biggest single-card bomb in ROE limited, bar none. She can't be vendetta'd, and if you play her right, she only falls to red burn.

Photobucket
Drana is the biggest single-card bomb in ROE limited, bar none. She can't be vendetta'd, and if you play her right, she only falls to red burn.

I actually would call Gid the biggest, but aside from that I agree. However, it doesn't matter when her ability is totally unusable.

I suck at Sealed, am awesome at drafing. So I probably will win tomorrow and scrub out on Saturday.

I am pretty darn good at both... Here's the thing:

DRAFT A DECK. A pile of cards can win, but you want to have an early, middle, and late game.

A bomb is a bomb and is always worth taking, but look at your pool.

Double color :B::B: or :R::R: are not splashable, no matter how much you want to play a card. If it doesn't have enough support, just don't.

on that same note, Corrupt requires a strong commitment to black.

However, a :R: or :U: cost is quite splashable. 2 copies of Lightning Bolt are splashable and probably should be played.

FOR SEALED SPECIFICALLY
Remember, the first rule of Magic:

Don't play bad cards.

Start by color sorting your pool, then grab all the really good cards and put those in smaller piles. Whichever colors have the most strong cards are likely the ones you play.... A bomb is great, but nothing makes up for consistancy.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?

Don't play bad cards.

This has got to be one of the most incorrect things I have EVER seen. There are a LOT of good limited decks that go so far as to rely on bad cards, and there are constructed decks built from bad cards (see: Ichorid).

That, and I think it's safe to say Link knows at least a little about what he's doing. 

Don't play bad cards.

This has got to be one of the most incorrect things I have EVER seen. There are a LOT of good limited decks that go so far as to rely on bad cards, and there are constructed decks built from bad cards (see: Ichorid).

That, and I think it's safe to say Link knows at least a little about what he's doing. 

Okay, there's bad (Gravity Well in the main deck) and there's bad (Glory Seeker in the main when you have an Aura Gnarlid on the board).

The first kind of bad is what to avoid. The second is the kind of thing that isn't "bad" per say.

On Ichorid
It's not a bad card... scratch that, it WASN'T A bad card. It used to be good, but then again, creatures used to be horrible.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
i am going to try for aggro/removial. so prob g/b or g/r if im super lucky w/b im not going to make a mastake like i did for rise and try for a big fatty and endup manaflooding  myself
here's some advice (directly in contrast with ong? the horror!)

DON'T DRAFT A DECK: this is a fxcking core set.  draft fliers and removal and you will win the game.  ROE is one of the rare formats where drafting a deck is a good plan. Core sets are NOT the area where you want to draft decks.  Here's a "deck" in a core: UW fliers.  you know what that means? a bunch of fliers, as much white removal as possible, maybe some card draw, and some walls.  that's it.

Sealed deck: YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO PLAY BAD CARDS.  that's the nature of sealed, you're forced to play what you get.  if you get an insane pool, congrats, you have a good shot of winning.  one of the reasons why I dislike sealed is that it removes some of the playskill factor from the game because the guy with 2 vampire nighthawks and a bunch of surrakar marauders is gonna beat you basically every time.
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
here's some advice (directly in contrast with ong? the horror!)

DON'T DRAFT A DECK: this is a fxcking core set.  draft fliers and removal and you will win the game.  ROE is one of the rare formats where drafting a deck is a good plan. Core sets are NOT the area where you want to draft decks.  Here's a "deck" in a core: UW fliers.  you know what that means? a bunch of fliers, as much white removal as possible, maybe some card draw, and some walls.  that's it.

Sealed deck: YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO PLAY BAD CARDS.  that's the nature of sealed, you're forced to play what you get.  if you get an insane pool, congrats, you have a good shot of winning.  one of the reasons why I dislike sealed is that it removes some of the playskill factor from the game because the guy with 2 vampire nighthawks and a bunch of surrakar marauders is gonna beat you basically every time.

Agreed. ROE forced levelers hard enough to make venerated teacher a safe mid-pack pick, regardless of what levelers you were going to be able to get.

But M11 is simply goodstuff drafting while focusing on 2-3 colors. The only thing I think we will see be a common theme between ROE and M11 is the fact that going green as a base will let you do silly things if you draft correctly, especially with Cultivate being a common (uncommon?) and Sylvan Ranger being a 2-drop that mana fixes.

Photobucket
This is exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for. Thanks a million for all your input guys.
I realized today that an elfball deck might be possible.  Llanowar Elves, Sylvan Ranger, Elvish Archdruid, Birds, Fire Servant, Reverberate, and all the direct damage from red.  It would take some luck to pull all the right stuff, but on the other hand the rares involved are in the "nice but not totally necessary" category.

On Ichorid
It's not a bad card... scratch that, it WASN'T A bad card. It used to be good, but then again, creatures used to be horrible.

The deck, not the card.

I remember once I used deprive on her only to have that stupid graveyard imp bring her right back into my opponents hand.  Had a strong white/blue deck too...  

This is the wrong place to talk about the pre-release.  Pre-release is a limited event, so I will have this moved to the limited forum.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
there are bad cards (Tireless Mercenary) and there are bad cards (Gravity Well in the main deck).

My computer froze before I got to post this on-line.

Playing cards like Tireless is justifiable... Well in the main is NOT.

Now, on drafting a deck:
M11 has draft a deck potential. There are key cards for drafting Mill at common, Discard at common/uncommon, aggro (because it's aggro), and control (which would be super hard to draft).

However, I WILL be fair and say we can't honestly say if this is a draft a deck format or not until we play it... but it looks like it to me.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg