Wizards Demolished my house in Windrise Ports...

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the July rules update one of argueably the best background regions, Windrise Ports, has become arguably one of the worst background region, and has completely demolished my reasons for pick that region as a background.

Will the CCG eventually be changed so that my characters can move to a different region or am I stuck living in a town that's radically different than when I first moved in?
We have no plans to allow you to retrain your home region. Of course, you can still retrain your background, as you always could (though not to another regional background, you would have to choose one of the occupation or race type backgrounds, such as those in PH2).
Note that  the region did not suddenly change just because the background benefit changed. In fact, the change in the benefit retained the flavor.
It did get less useful, but I still have the faint hope some people realize a region is defined through its background/flavor, and not the benefit.
Note that  the region did not suddenly change just because the background benefit changed. In fact, the change in the benefit retained the flavor.
It did get less useful, but I still have the faint hope some people realize a region is defined through its background/flavor, and not the benefit.

The problem here is that the benefit in this particular case is usually character defining. My Fighter has been a Paladin since 2nd level via a multiclass feat. Now I have to drop it or remake the character as a new 11th level Hybrid Fighter|Paladin who shares name, race, etc...with the old character.
Strange, I thought pre-errata the Background merely let you take more than one Multiclass feat. A Fighter/Paladin shouldn't have any problems, no?
Strange, I thought pre-errata the Background merely let you take more than one Multiclass feat. A Fighter/Paladin shouldn't have any problems, no?

The character is a Fighter MC'd into Paladin and Bard. Bard is where the paragon path is and central to the character concept. If I were going to start her all over again from 1st level, she probably would have been a Fighter|Paladin or a Fighter|Battlemind, MC'd into Bard, and taken the same paragon path.

It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun to play, though. You get very odd looks from other players when you sit down at a table with a Fighter with a 14 Str/18-20 Cha... 

I agree! Windrise is still a lovely mountain village in Krynn!
The problem here is that the benefit in this particular case is usually character defining. My Fighter has been a Paladin since 2nd level via a multiclass feat. Now I have to drop it or remake the character as a new 11th level Hybrid Fighter|Paladin who shares name, race, etc...with the old character.

I don't think I'd call that "character defining". It certainly has a large impact on your build but, I think "character defining" typically means what the character takes on as more than what he is capable of. Sadly, the background was overpowered and builds like this that relied heavily on it suffer now for the advantages they enjoyed. I think it was needed change and that any allowable build could be played under the same character definition even if as a straight fighter but, it's new functionality is what needs to be adjusted to and is still likely is in scale to LFRs challeneges in the hands of a skilled player.

I don't think I'd call that "character defining". It certainly has a large impact on your build but, I think "character defining" typically means what the character takes on as more than what he is capable of. Sadly, the background was overpowered and builds like this that relied heavily on it suffer now for the advantages they enjoyed. I think it was needed change and that any allowable build could be played under the same character definition even if as a straight fighter but, it's new functionality is what needs to be adjusted to and is still likely is in scale to LFRs challeneges in the hands of a skilled player.

She's a holy warrior of her goddess who just got permanently disconnected. It informed all her decisions, even if that were not necessarily obvious in play(she worshipped Selune)

And there's almost nothing the original character could do that the hybrid Fighter|Paladin can't still already do. 
Well, this certainly screwed one of my characters.

The concept was a dragon prophet.

Human Ranger with dragon companion (reflavored bird companion), that can commune with a dragon spirit (Shaman MC feat) and able to turn into a dragon himself (MC druid feat).

The character was by no means overpowered (barely average as a striker in fact).  It was more of a flavor thing.  Now I can't do it.

Even Hybrid rules won't allow it unless I just create a new version of him at 11th level.

I've got a couple of other characters that are more powerful because of the windrise ability to take an extra MC class (barbarian and paladin to be precise), but ironically, they're fine with very little modification.  It's the roleplaying character that is taking the biggest hit in what is supposed to be a correction for play balance.
Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View
It stinks, but it had to be done.  There were way too many abuses available via Windrise Ports MC'ing.
Well, this certainly screwed one of my characters.

The concept was a dragon prophet.

Human Ranger with dragon companion (reflavored bird companion), that can commune with a dragon spirit (Shaman MC feat) and able to turn into a dragon himself (MC druid feat).

The character was by no means overpowered (barely average as a striker in fact).  It was more of a flavor thing.  Now I can't do it.

Why can't you do it with the hybrid rules?

Ranger|Druid who spends the hybrid feat on Beast Mastery(Hybrid) and then takes MC Shaman. A human can even pull it off at 1st level.

It stinks, but it had to be done.  There were way too many abuses available via Windrise Ports MC'ing.

Right - but what are the legitimate ways out that allow a player to preserve the idea behind the character? If this were a home game, I would ask my DM to let me turn the character into a hybrid Fighter|Paladin, MC into Bard, and while I would notice the difference(much more Paladin, much less Fighter, no super-strong need for the paragon path I'd end up taking anyway), there would be no need to change the why the character behaves the way she does.

Yeah, I;m not sure what I'm goign to do with my assassin now.  She was MC with Rogue and also had the Spiked Chain MC feat.  Maybe I'll lobby Wizards to change the weapon MC into not counting against the limit.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
The Globals have been discussing this issue and we are going to allow some sort of limited rebuild for people affected by this particular errata. I will explain later today in a post on the blog.
I am glad to see there'll be a special handling of how to adapt to this errata. It sort of highlights how out-of-line with the rest of the system, that background was.
Post is up.
Post is up.
linkadink here (since, after all, we still suffer from the "there's a group and a different forum?" issue)

Ranger|Druid who spends the hybrid feat on Beast Mastery(Hybrid) and then takes MC Shaman. A human can even pull it off at 1st level.

Okay, I take it back.  I guess you can do it 

For some reason I thought that shapeshift wasn't available except by taking the hybrid feat...

Check out my free online comic! Familiar Ground Fantasy Humor, Familiar Point of View

Okay, I take it back.  I guess you can do it 

For some reason I thought that shapeshift wasn't available except by taking the hybrid feat...

Of course, you can't exactly pick up an arcane class as well with the MC feat and get a familiar...
He can be friends with Sithobi1's dragon tamer.  She also has a dragon friend.
Of course, there's an obvious sexy solution to everyone's problems.

Everyone should roll a Bard character. Even folks who never took the Windrise Ports background.

I mean, it's clear that the LFR playerbase suffers a massive case of Bard envy. Otherwise why such an attraction to a Bard-like background? But why settle for a faux Bard when you can play a real one?

Look at the Ports. Now at the Bard. Again at the Ports. And back to the Bard.

Sadly, the Ports aren't a Bard. But if you rolled a Bard instead of a lady scented Ports character, you could be a Bard.

I for one would love to sit down to a table and find that every single character there was a sexy, awesomely manly Bard. Imagine the look of surprise on the DM's face! And then we could proceed to pwn the adventure with our epic personalities and celestial smouldering good looks.

Where are we? Not in the Ports. Does anyone actually know where the Ports are, anyway? Look again! We're in Ravens Bluff. Or will be soon, in any case. Anything is possible when you're a Bard. It would be phenominal to see an army of Bards show up in the City of Adventurers.

I'm on a horse.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

How any times did you have to play that commercial on you tube to get the text? 
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
It's actually way off from the commercial, I just got inspired because the Old Spice Guy made like 20 video responses to comments on Twitter and the like. It's mostly just copying the style with a couple of things I remembered from the commercial.

But, seriously, everyone play a Bard. They rock. And sometimes roll.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

My Windrise Ports character is lady scented.  But that's how they do things in Sambral.
Of course, there's an obvious sexy solution to everyone's problems.

Everyone should roll a Bard character. Even folks who never took the Windrise Ports background.

I mean, it's clear that the LFR playerbase suffers a massive case of Bard envy. Otherwise why such an attraction to a Bard-like background? But why settle for a faux Bard when you can play a real one?

Look at the Ports. Now at the Bard. Again at the Ports. And back to the Bard.

Sadly, the Ports aren't a Bard. But if you rolled a Bard instead of a lady scented Ports character, you could be a Bard.

I for one would love to sit down to a table and find that every single character there was a sexy, awesomely manly Bard. Imagine the look of surprise on the DM's face! And then we could proceed to pwn the adventure with our epic personalities and celestial smouldering good looks.

Where are we? Not in the Ports. Does anyone actually know where the Ports are, anyway? Look again! We're in Ravens Bluff. Or will be soon, in any case. Anything is possible when you're a Bard. It would be phenominal to see an army of Bards show up in the City of Adventurers.

I'm on a horse.

You sir have your daily dose of win.
Sign In to post comments