Spiked Gauntlets: Mundane vs. Magical

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
From AV1 p.10:

Spiked Gauntlet: These gauntlets are specially
fitted with metal spikes. Unlike other weapons, the
spiked gauntlet occupies your magic item hands slot
while enchanted.

I can wear an enchanted leather glove on my left hand with a mundane spike gauntlet over the top. Said gauntlet can be enchanted but putting it back on my left hand causes the the enchanted leather glove to be unusable (unequipable) until the enchanted gauntlet is removed.

Roleplayed this makes no sense to me but I accept that sometimes things have to be contrary to what I'd expect for mechanical or game balance purposes.

So I try to figure out why magical spiked gauntlets are treated differently than almost all (if not all) other magic weapons? Would allowing a magic glove with a magic gauntlet be any different than a magic glove with a magic mace? with a magic sword? with a magic whip?

To players who can only speculate, why would allowing a magic glove to worn with a magic spiked gauntlet be overpowered or broken?

To the designers who worked on the quoted text above, how is allowing a magic glove to worn with a magic spiked gauntlet be overpowered or broken?

If it isn't mechanically broken/overpowered, and it makes sense roleplayed (watch me put on a leather glove followed by a spiked gauntlet on the same hand), would an errata to allow magic hand items being worn together with magic spiked gauntlets be asking too much?

I'm undecided if I want to bother my DM about it; I just totally got blindsided last week by that rule and am trying to wrap my head around any reason explanation for it. Maybe that is something I'm not supposed to do. ;D
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
First off, just want to say I think you should be able to wearing magical spiked gauntlet and magical gloves.

But as to why that's not the way, its because of the estabilished rules with magical items.  Like how you can only wear 2 rings, one on each hand, because if both on are the same hand they're unusable.  Or holy symbols, if you have two different symbols on they're both unusable.  Mainly its the fact that you're only suppose to have one magical item per slot basically so since spiked gauntlets are a hand weapon when magical either they can be equipped or magical gloves.

My thoughts on this is one, to just ignore the rule and say where both gloves and gauntlets if you want.  Or to kind of abide by the rules, just say that you can wear both magical gloves and gauntlets but can only benefit from one item per round, at a time, something like that.  So if there is some unknown combo of gloves and gauntlet that is overpowered, which I doubt, it can't work.  But yeah its just how they estabilished magical equipment.
I think the reason they're like this is because otherwise, why wouldn't you wear Spiked Gauntlets, no matter who you are? You could never really be disarmed.
The Smithy Knew He'd Lost His Groove When Scalding Sparks Left His Chin Too Smooth Dwarvenshave
It's a 'slot' issue.  Normal weapons have to be drawn and held.  If you need a free hand, you need to sheath or drop them.  Spiked Gauntlets leave the hand free.

Really, if you're using spiked gauntlets, your 'hands' slot should be taken up, even if their non-magical, but the rationale for magic item slots argues for the restriction to aply only to magical ones.

Technically, though, you can wear non-magical spiked guantlets over Gauntlets of Ogre Power, which doesn't make a lot of sense.   OTOH, spiked gauntlets enchanted as GoOP isn't unreasonable.  :shrug:

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Technically, though, you can wear non-magical spiked guantlets over Gauntlets of Ogre Power, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

From Wikipedia
Gauntlet is a name for several different styles of glove, particularly those with an extended cuff covering part of the forearm. Gauntlets exist in many forms, ranging from flexible fabric and leather gloves, to chainmail and fully-articulated plate armour.

Take that for what you will but in the game items can be re-flavored to fit the player's desire or DM's choice i.e. Gauntlet of Destruction can be Gloves, Hand Wraps, or Mittens of Destruction. Similarly, Boots of Speed can be Sandals, Laces or Slippers of Speed.

OTOH, spiked gauntlets enchanted as GoOP isn't unreasonable.  :shrug:

I like your thinking, but that's kind of a grey area there, though I don't see why you couldn't do it but you wouldn't be able to have any +'s to hit or damage and would be stuck with the default damage of 1d6. It works within the Transfer Enchantment ritual rules even though the CB obviously doesn't support it.

I'm planing on getting around that by getting my DM to let me use the "Inherent Bonuses' system but that still will leave me with no weapon properties on the Spiked Gauntlets which is kinda lame.
Sure, you can have fingerless bob cratchet gloves of Ogre Power.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

So yeah, roleplayed it makes sense (physically, i can actually do this)

Just mechanically (game balance) I don't get why you can wear a hand slot magic item AND a mundane spiked gauntlet weapon BUT cannot wear a hand slot magic item AND a magic spiked gauntlet weapon.

A magic hand slot item with any magic weapon is allowed, except spiked gauntlets...why? I'm sincerely looking for that is broken/overpowered/unfair and I just don't see it.

Future errata? Please...?
Achievements: 06/28/10 - MODERAT0WND!!11 06/30/10 - A Friendly Nod 07/04/10 - Troll Infiltrators 11/16/10 - RIP CB (What you are paying for should work; is it?) 12/20/10 - "No Way! That's Great...*chuckle*...WE'VE RERELEASED GAMMA WORLD!" Scapegoat of the Month for November: Pirates
I guess they just don't want you to be able to hold another magic weapon.

So you can have:
1. Magic Gloves (which can hold things) + Held Magic (Weapon)
2. Magic Gloves + Magic Gauntlets - Held Magic

Due to the fact that you can have two magic weapons at once, they don't cancel each other out.

It seems possible to have three weapon enchantments up at once with the spiked gauntlets and two weapons... certain enchantments (like Rhythm) don't require you to actually use the weapon after all.

So in this way, Gloves + 2 weapons = 3 enchantments, spiked gauntlets + 2 weapons = 3 enchantments.

...or can't you wield things while punching with the gauntlets?
I guess they just don't want you to be able to hold another magic weapon.

So you can have:
1. Magic Gloves (which can hold things) + Held Magic (Weapon)
2. Magic Gloves + Magic Gauntlets - Held Magic

Due to the fact that you can have two magic weapons at once, they don't cancel each other out.

It seems possible to have three weapon enchantments up at once with the spiked gauntlets and two weapons... certain enchantments (like Rhythm) don't require you to actually use the weapon after all.

So in this way, Gloves + 2 weapons = 3 enchantments, spiked gauntlets + 2 weapons = 3 enchantments.

...or can't you wield things while punching with the gauntlets?

As I understand it, with spiked gauntlets of any type, you can still manipulate objects without needing to remove the spiked gauntlets, but you cannot proficiently wield a normal weapon while wearing spiked gauntlets as the spiked gauntlets themselves are weapons and occupy the weapon slot. This would be like picking up a shortsword and putting it in your pack, simply carrying a torch, or looting a pouch with gold - those things you can do.

No. Although magic spiked gauntlets "occupy" the hands slot, what this means functionally is that they occupy the weapons slot as expected and the hands slot becomes unusable. It is possible to dual wield spiked gauntlets, but if either or both are magic, then the hands slot is not usable.

so with 1 or 2 magic spiked gauntlets (which are weapon slot items), your hand slot becomes unusable so you are then limited to 2 enchantments for those 3 slots - which is kind of my issue.

Just trying to understand how single/dual wielding magic spiked gauntlets AND allowing use of the hand slot for a third item (magical) is imbalanced/overpowered.

Mind you spiked gauntlets are d6 damage and at least one class can take a feat to bump it up to d8s.
Just mechanically (game balance) I don't get why you can wear a hand slot magic item AND a mundane spiked gauntlet weapon BUT cannot wear a hand slot magic item AND a magic spiked gauntlet weapon.

I suppose you could, but one of them wouldn't function magically.  Character Builder doesn't support that - you just plain can't equip both.  The same goes for wearing an amulet and a cloak - you certainly can, you just have to choose which to gain magical benefits from (in character build, that's the 'equipped' one. 

Sign In to post comments