An issue regarding Charge Rules in LFR.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, yesterday while playing a LFR adventure at the local gaming store, one of the more veteran players informed me of some rather strange things.

He stated that after coming home from Origins, that judges at these national conventions are changing the rules surrounding Charge so that you can not move away from an enemy with your move action, and then charge with your standard action?

I'm thinking/hoping he is confused, however, he seemed to insist that the LFR Global Admin's had made a joint group decision regarding Charge rules.

He said that you could shift one away from a monster, and if you had 2 squares in between, charge. However, when our barbarian used his move action to move (while provoking an OA) 6 squares away, so that he could charge into flank, he stated that the barbarian would not be able to do that at a national convention.

I then asked him if a rogue could move around a target to get flank for his sneak attack, and he said of course.

So what I'm really hoping is that this player is just mistaken in what he heard at Origins.

Can a global admin, or someone who knows for sure put a definate answer to this.

I know that a lot of changes are coming down with LFR, but to make a blanket ruling that nerfs an entire class...seems a bit odd.

So, a discussion on this issue please!
He must have misheard something ... or he had a bad GM that misunderstood something. That is something that afaik is clearly allowed by the rules.
My thoughts too. The rules clearly state the a charge is a standard action and is totally seperate from move actions.

I'd still like to see a global admin's input.
There's no Glbal Admin input needed.  LFR runs by the rules of D&D.  If someone ruled that way, they were ruling incorrectly.  I did it at Origins with my barbarian with nary a raised eyebrow.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Someone, somewhere, was mistaken.

You can absolutely move, then standard action charge. Carry on
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
He's also clearing pulling your leg if he told you the Globals ruled that at Origins, since none of us went to Origins.

As a general rule of the campaign, the LFR campaign staff does not change the rules of the game except where the rules need adjustments because of the shared world environment (such as how we award treasure). Charge is charge, we have no rules on charging.
In more rules specific terms, if it isn't in the official documentation, then it isn't in force.

Have the guy point to you where it states in the rules that Charge was changed.

Verbal comments overheard at a convention aren't rules.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
KarmaInferno: I don't think that's right. That's how I think such a campaign should be run but even i LG there were plenty of instances of it not being so (eg article on WotC website for locations that self-certified themselves as LG-legal).

There have definitely been posts on forums and such that were claimed to be official rulings for LFR.

I hope it didn't spoil your game (barbarians could use a nerf anyway :P).
Bah. I'm not a barbarian!

I'm a crazy charging ranger!

That throw and stab nerf didn't stop me...now I just stab!
KarmaInferno: I don't think that's right. That's how I think such a campaign should be run but even i LG there were plenty of instances of it not being so (eg article on WotC website for locations that self-certified themselves as LG-legal).

There have definitely been posts on forums and such that were claimed to be official rulings for LFR.

I hope it didn't spoil your game (barbarians could use a nerf anyway :P).

I'll rephrase.

If there is an LFR SPECIFIC exception to the rules, it will be specifically spelled out in the CCG.

LFR is not LG. One of the specific goals of LFR has been to reduce or eliminate rules clutter.

LFR uses D&D 4th Edition rules whenever possible without modification. Where there is campaign-specific rules alterations it is spelled out in the CCG.

At the VERY least, it will be spelled out in an official publication listed as campaign-legal in the CCG, like Dragon magazine. Something you can crack a book open or flip to an article page and point at.

Forum posts and overheard conversations are not official.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

Well, except when they are. Tweets by Chris Tulach have consistently been treated as an official rules source in the past.

Well, except when they are. Tweets by Chris Tulach have consistently been treated as an official rules source in the past.

According to the RPGA CCG: "The following are considered official rules sources for RPGA play: ... Clarifications issued through the official Game Support team at Wizards of the Coast"

I'd certainly use a clarification (i.e. assuming the matter was subject to interpretation) provided by Chris Tulach, regardless of how it was given.

However, I would definitely not accept a rule change that way from Chris, much less a nameless source.
@KarmaInferno: I understgood the first time. My point is that there are things like the aforementioned tweets (and forum/yahoo group posts) that we are told to treat as official. I haven't been tracking these aprticularly so I can't point to them but it didn't all stop with LG. Unique items (graefling?) came up recently as something that will be in the next CCG.

@mvincent: well you can do that but I wouldn't recommend it as you may get into rather strong arguments. The difference between a "clarification" and a "change" is not one that WotC have a good record on understanding.

I certainly don't treat tweets as official. I asked Greg Bilsland about the Cunning Sneak feature, received the answer that it does work with any movement (not just a move action), then tweeted him back that he needs to make it official. I think his ruling is pretty good guidance, but it isn't LFR legal. Hopefully soon...

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).