Pregen Character Sheets for Level 2

89 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bah!

(I'll make sure to add it if I need another update, or for the level 3 versions.) 
TDN:  We used these last night when we started chapter two.  I gave a set to each of the 3 other tables besides mine at our location.  They were extremely helpful and the players were glad to have them as well.  Thanks for your hard work.
No problem. : )

I get fits of OCD when it comes to stuff like this so I HAD to do the sheets. Putting them out there for the community was just a bonus.

Btw: I don't know what version you got, but the newest version has everything including Yuka's +2 Streetwise added in (mentioned in the post above).

Despite saying I would wait to update it, I just went ahead and quietly updated the sheets yesterday anyway. They're still version 1.3.

Also, is the level 3 update information available? I'm just a volunteer DM and can't look for or download the file. If someone has the file and can shoot it to me or otherwise let me know what the upgrades are, I can get the level 3 sheets prepped.
NP check your inbox to find my Email which I will send to you.

—Guncici
Is Shikker with 16wis and 11Cha an official change or is that a tweek?
Shikkir was originally 16 wis, 11 Cha.

Original PDF 

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

Again, I can only say thanks and praise you for doing this. I handed out the sheets to players at the end of the session and they just started looking them over with ferver.

I wonder if you have any interest in leveling the Dark Sun characters from the PVP/Penny Arcade podcast?

Two of those characters have made apperances in the game I run. I already told the players of those characters they may have to choose different guys next week or level them themselves. Not sure if there is any interest for those PCs beyond me though.
Right but didn't they errata him to 14 wis 13 cha.   Don't get me wrong I like 16/11 much better and I am going to try and use that version with my DM I just want to know whats official and what I'm asking for from the DM.
Right but didn't they errata him to 14 wis 13 cha.   Don't get me wrong I like 16/11 much better and I am going to try and use that version with my DM I just want to know whats official and what I'm asking for from the DM.

The only "Official" errata, is that Shikirr (I think I spell this name differently every time I type it?) does not have a ranged attack.

DungeonScape

On the first page of the documents I made are listed the errata changes.

While the only thing WOTC has officially stated was 'errata' was Shikirr erroneously having Mind Blast, there were in fact many errors and/or omissions to power descriptions.

The 14 wis 13 cha build was a community suggestion based on keeping the pattern of arrays used for the characters and also making his build make sense compared to his stats.

The 16 wis 11 cha build is the original 'official' build.
Gotcha, thanks
 FYI I spoke to Chris Tulach last night, he is the coordinator at my lfgs as well as the WotC official in charge of the overall encounters program, I wanted to ask him about my proposed "tweaks" to the pcs before offering them to my groups. His reply was that DM's can take ownership and offer changes to powers, stats or other pc issues weather done by the DM or by the players then approved by the DM. 

After our conversation I decided to offer my players the choice of playing the "errata'd" version or my "tweaked" versions at their individual discretion.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Am I hearing this right...

The official position is 'do what ever you like'?!
The official position is use the pregens.

But, if you have a strong sense of what you are doing, making a few tweaks is ok. I suspect this is what Tulach is saying. Were I anyone official, I would say the same to Kedrith, knowing his level of proficiency and guessing that his location is pretty well organized.

The problem is that it is very easy to make tweaks to the PCs that make things more complicated or that ruin the benefit for players of using the nice-looking cards.

The other problem with making changes is that it may not accomplish much. The average new player doesn't greatly care what feats they get as they may not understand the options well. I could argue that "sound cool but aren't so useful" may be much more well received than "often useful but boring".

I don't really see the pregens as having any huge weaknesses. The overall issue to me is challenge level, which will not be assuaged by a few PC tweaks. Instead, it is all about DM-side tweaks. For me, I would rather keep the shiny format and make sure judges at the store run a fun table.

Perithoth may very well finish his pregens, which look like the official ones and only adjust for errata and level. He showed me a really nice level 2 Barcan.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

But, if you have a strong sense of what you are doing, making a few tweaks is ok.

Not that you even need a "strong" sense to tweak the characters to make them more plausible and playable.
Shouldn't Barcan be Fortitude 14 instead of 15? 10+1/2lvl - 11, Str - 2, human bonus - 1 = 14.
Noticed that the 2nd Level Yuka provide by the guy who did "all that work" was +9 to hit and I believe he should be +8.  [+4 Str + 1 (1/2 level) +3 prof (alhulak)]

Am I missing a plus somewhere or am I correct?

Also, Yuka has a longsword in the equipment as he should.  However, a short sword was used throughout the powers.

I've edited the Word doc for now but it also has my "tweaks" for powers in there as well.  I chose Bash and Pinion over Serpent's Coil (1st Lvl Encouter) and Pass Forward over Full Extension (2nd Lvl Utility) and lastly Seize and Stab over Unstoppable Advance (1st Lvl Daily).  I couldn't help liking the idea of setting up a flank for my peers.

Another question is the amount of surges for Yuka.  Fighters get 9 + Con Mod (+2) = 11 but Yuka has 12 on your sheet.  Is there something that we don't know about here from the upcoming rules on Muls or is this supposed to be 11?

By the way, "All that work" is sincerely appreciated.  I've been using the Word document to make my edits and cleaning it up as I go now.  It was a huge help and a great start for me for this evening.

Thanks again!
Bruce
For Yuka's level two +9 to attack is correct your missing the inherent bonus of +1 attack and +1 damage.

Yuka has a obsidian short sword as his back up weapon. I gave Shikkirr the crystilline long sword and Kank carapice heavy sheild.

I came very close to replacing Full extension with the incredibly useful Pass Forward but in the end decided to leave it in for two reasons, first it has some utility and second its a new power from Dark Suns presumably.

All of your changes look very good to me btw. I just wanted to leave unchanged what I felt was easy to use and moderatly effective or better. 
Noticed that the 2nd Level Yuka provide by the guy who did "all that work" was +9 to hit and I believe he should be +8.  [+4 Str + 1 (1/2 level) +3 prof (alhulak)]

Also, Yuka has a longsword in the equipment as he should.  However, a short sword was used throughout the powers.

I've edited the Word doc for now but it also has my "tweaks" for powers in there as well.  I chose Bash and Pinion over Serpent's Coil (1st Lvl Encouter) and Pass Forward over Full Extension (2nd Lvl Utility) and lastly Seize and Stab over Unstoppable Advance (1st Lvl Daily).  I couldn't help liking the idea of setting up a flank for my peers.

Another question is the amount of surges for Yuka.  Fighters get 9 + Con Mod (+2) = 11 but Yuka has 12 on your sheet.  Is there something that we don't know about here from the upcoming rules on Muls or is this supposed to be 11?

By the way, "All that work" is sincerely appreciated.  I've been using the Word document to make my edits and cleaning it up as I go now.  It was a huge help and a great start for me for this evening.

Thanks again!
Bruce

Crud, yes indeed Barcan's Fort Def should be 14. Thanks for the catch Mook
Shouldn't Barcan be Fortitude 14 instead of 15? 10+1/2lvl - 11, Str - 2, human bonus - 1 = 14.

For Yuka's level two +9 to attack is correct your missing the inherent bonus of +1 attack and +1 damage.

Yuka has a obsidian short sword as his back up weapon. I gave Shikkirr the crystilline long sword and Kank carapice heavy sheild.

I came very close to replacing Full extension with the incredibly useful Pass Forward but in the end decided to leave it in for two reasons, first it has some utility and second its a new power from Dark Suns presumably.

All of your changes look very good to me btw. I just wanted to leave unchanged what I felt was easy to use and moderatly effective or better. 

Thanks again!
Bruce

LOL - Helps if I read the first page.  Thanks for the clarification.  I will update my new sheet accordingly.  This will be sweet this evening.

Thanks again!

Blah. Fixed this on my sheets and updated to version 1.4. Also updated the original post.

Thanks for the catch. 

If you've already printed the version 1.3 sheets for tonight, sorry guys. Was hoping not to find any more errors this close to session 6. : (

Thanks again for all of this but I think we missed one of my questions and I don't like doing this to you as you've just upversioned to 1.4.  Did you catch the question on surges for Yuka?  Should it be 11 (Fighter gets 9 + Con modifier) or 9+2 or 11 for Yuka but you have 12.  Is there a reason Yuka has one more on your sheet?

Sorry if this is bad news at this stage.
Bruce
Yep I just check my Yuka should only have 11 Surges.

Yeah I saw that. Sorry, I forgot to comment on it.

Yuka, Morg and Tuzul (all published Mul's) have 1 more healing surge than they should. I left it as-is because we'll probably find they get an extra healing as a racial bonus.
 Thanks to anyone thats spotted any errors in my "sheets" please continue to look for em. I've corrected the links to the most updated version, sorry Im not more proficient in Acrobat...it seems like a feat tax to take that proficency Wink .    Ill continue to update them both as needed.

Is it just me or are Castri's attacks all calculated +1 too high. Either TWF or Running Attack are being factored incorrectly. And the main-hand attack for Twin Strike gets +1 damage.
Just can't seem to lock these things down. : /

Uploaded version 1.5.

I fixed some of his bonuses to hit and his dmg - note that two weapon fighting isn't factored in as it is situational, so let your players know.

Cartigan: 
Melee Basic attack = 9 (4 Str, 3 dagger prof, 1 half level, 1 Inherent bonus)
Ranged Basic attack = 8 (3 Dex, 3 dagger prof, 1 half level, 1 Inherent bonus)
Throw and Stab was +1 too high
Twin Strike is fine - should be same to hit bonus as melee/ranged basics.
All others should be fine.

And actually all attacks gain +1 dmg (from inherent bonuses - factored in) and his main hand gets another +1 dmg (two weapon fighting - not factored in).

BTW: 2 of our 3 tables used Ixylblat due to storyline developments, I think he went over well.

Anyone else use him?

The Ixylblat at my table suffered every monster inflicted condition he could be effected with in that encounter I think and at one point, was barfing from the corpses aura, shivering from the vulnerable cold griefmote attack and was also slowed, and his fort was lowered from the ooze, only to be wailed in the head by a corpse and get bloodied. Was rather funny.
Just can't seem to lock these things down. : /

Uploaded version 1.5.

I fixed some of his bonuses to hit and his dmg - note that two weapon fighting isn't factored in as it is situational, so let your players know.

Cartigan: 
Melee Basic attack = 9 (4 Str, 3 dagger prof, 1 half level, 1 Inherent bonus)
Ranged Basic attack = 8 (3 Dex, 3 dagger prof, 1 half level, 1 Inherent bonus)
Throw and Stab was +1 too high
Twin Strike is fine - should be same to hit bonus as melee/ranged basics.
All others should be fine.

And actually all attacks gain +1 dmg (from inherent bonuses - factored in) and his main hand gets another +1 dmg (two weapon fighting - not factored in).

..what's the inherent +1 to attack and damage? TWF is situational, but only as situational as Yuka's bonuses. Alot of this stuff is technically situational, but not practically.
I haven't had a chance to look at the sheets again, but from the ones I downloaded last week:

Castri and Yuka have attacks that only deal 1[W] damage, but they should still get the +1 inherent damage bonus.  These weren't on the sheets we had.

About the only thing I think Castri would not have the TWF bonus on should be Throw & Stab (after all he just threw his offhand weapon).  Otherwise you could probably include it on everything else (especially twin-strike, because you can't do twin-strike without 2 weapons).

Anyways I'm busy at work right now, and can't look.  But thought I'd mention now while I remember.

Thanks Again! 

DungeonScape

Great sheets...last night after the encounters game I made and updated one myself. Found twitpic.com/25ii41

The only difference I noted was that lack of the TWF bonus damage on most of Castri's strikes.  In my mind he should get the bonus on Twin Strike, Disrupting Advance, Precise Assault, and Isolation Strike because he always has two weapons wielded, thus getting the Carrikal Bonus damage for TWF.  IT doesn't say you have to be attacking with two weapons...just wielding.  

What we know so far...

Carrikal
 battleaxe that has two forward-facing blades carved from a jawbone
 +2 Prof | 1d10 | Axe | Versatile, Brutal 2

Where does the 1d10 come from?  I've seen no errata toward that change from Castri's sheet, which is 1d8

Also
Disrupting Advance Gladiator theme power from Castri's sheet

Updated again. Yippee...

Fixed one of Yuka's powers that was missing +1 damage and added in Castri's TWF dmg bonus as well.

See download link in original post for v1.6. 
Seriously, wth are "inherent bonuses"?
Alternate rule in DMG2 where you replace the enhancement bonuses from magic items with 'natural' Inherent bonuses instead. They don't stack with the enhancement bonus from items.

For instance:
At level 2 you get +1 to hit and damage on all attacks

It's meant to keep the characters scaled to monsters in a low-magic/low magic item setting. 
TDN your freaking awesome for still updating the Char sheets even after all of the stuff people have noticed and what not.

I do have to say that I bet TDN now has a little bit of empathy for WOTC for their mistakes then before, I know I do.

Thanks again TDN, your awesome.

—Guncici
Alternate rule in DMG2 where you replace the enhancement bonuses from magic items with 'natural' Inherent bonuses instead. They don't stack with the enhancement bonus from items.

For instance:
At level 2 you get +1 to hit and damage on all attacks

It's meant to keep the characters scaled to monsters in a low-magic/low magic item setting. 

While the characters suck, especially Castri, they aren't getting any fewer or lower-level magic items than they were last season.

So, effectively, everyone's ATK and DMG is +1 too high.

I do have to say that I bet TDN now has a little bit of empathy for WOTC for their mistakes then before, I know I do.

The difference is WotC should at least have beta rules for the Character Builder for Dark Sun. The rules that are getting overlooked right now already exist in the Character Builder.

Cartigan:
Regarding Magic Items/Inherent Bonuses: Yeah, I had a laugh when I got the second chapter and saw the Inherent bonuses rule and looked at all the magic items handed out.

Characters attack and dmg isn't +1 too high, as this is intended for the setting/alternate rule.
And you know what? With the state of the pregen's stats, they need all the help they can get anyway. : )

Regarding borked character sheets: YOU try reformatting/copy/pasting/editing/spell-checking/re-editing/fixing/filling-in-the-blanks from non-standard character sheets 'edited for brevity' without missing some 1's and 2's.
I'm annoyed with myself for letting as many errors slip through my edits as they did but I spent most of a day going over them to try and get them out in time for others to go over them and catch what I missed/screwed up so they'd be ready by session 6.

Guncici:
Thanks. : )
On one hand I have some empathy for the WOTC mistakes slipping through and I can understand how it happened. On the other hand, there is a gulf of difference in my capabilities/drive/time/knowledge of the system and WOTC's encounters team/editors capabilities/drive/time/knowledge/reputation/etc.
We shouldn't have had to resort to fixing the characters in the first place really, especially considering this is an ongoing trend with their pregens apparently.

I don't want the above to sound like I'm attacking WOTC/the encounters dev team. I'm actually quite neutral about the pregen errata/errors (that don't officially exist : P).
I'm speaking more as a consumer who is interested in a commercial product who's flaws really should have been caught beforehand and felt it may negatively impact said product, which otherwise kicks ass. 
BTW: Another update. (v1.7)
I was alerted to the fact that Shikirr didn't have the text for Psionic Augmentation among his class abilities (explaining to the player how many power points he has and how they refresh).

Now he does.

Download link on first post of this thread.
Has anyone assigned utility powers to the free RPG day characters?  Because I didn't see any in the download.  Of course it is possible I just missed them, that would be believable.
Sign In to post comments