Dual Wielding Question

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering how dual wielding works in 4e. I'm sorry if it is blaintently obvious but I was wondering.
Do you get two attacks per turn when you dual wield?

What are the penalties for dual wielding (like do you give your bonus's up)?

Does it effect powers (at-will, encounter, and daily)?

You don't gain extra actions or attacks just because you have one weapon on each hand.

To attack, you must use one of your powers (even basic attacks are a kind of power).

If the power you are using allows you to do multiple attacks if you're dual wielding, then you do. If it doesn't, then you don't (but then you can choose to attack with either weapon, just not with both.)

There's no penalty for dual wielding, but no automatic attack either. You need some feat or power that benefits from dual wielding to gain some benefit.

[<o>]
I was wondering how dual wielding works in 4e. I'm sorry if it is blaintently obvious but I was wondering.

Dual-wielding by itself does not grant you any extra attacks, bonuses, or penalties, besides qualifying for feats (Two-Weapon Defense, for example).

In order to get two or more attacks per round, you have to have a power that lets you take two or more such attacks. For example, Twin Strike (Ranger), Dual Strike (Fighter), and Whirling Rend (Barbarian) all are at-wills that let you take advantage of dual-wielding to some extent.
Well that makes me want to never dual wield, seems rather pointless haha
3.5-style dual-wielding doesn't exist in 4E.

Characters don't get any extra attacks simply for having two weapons in hand. You need to have powers that allow you to make multiple attacks per round.

Rangers are the only characters in 4th edition for whom the majority of their powers allow them to multi-attack. Tempest Fighters get a few, and Whirling Barbarians have powers that allow them to deal extra damage when wielding 2 weapons though they only make one attack roll.

In 4th Edition, the TWF chain of feats doesn't allow you to make multiple attacks, but they give you benefits for holding two weapons...
Heroic tier feats:
The Two-Weapon Fighting feat gives you a +1 to damage rolls with your main-hand weapon.
The Two-Weapon Defense feat gives you a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex when wielding two weapons.
Two-Weapon Threat gives you a +3 to damage rolls on opportunity attacks.
Paragon tier:
Two-Weapon Opening allows you a free basic attack with your offhand weapon when you score a critical hit on an attack with your mian-hand weapon.
Epic:
Two-Weapon Flurry allows you to make an additional opportunity attack with your off-hand weapon when you make a successful opportunity attack with your main-hand weapon.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

It's pointless if you don't have the powers or class features to back it up, yes. For example, a dual-wielding Monk or Rogue (assuming playing them rather straight up with hybrid-ing, etc.) is fairly pointless. A dual-wielding Ranger or Barbarian can be a beast, because a. they have powers to back it up, and b. they happen to have class features that let you use one-handed weapons (as opposed to offhand weapons) in your offhand.

Even a character who doesn't get to make multiple atacks per round can still gain plenty of benefits from holding two weapons - in addition to the feats I mentioned above, holding two weapons allows you to choose which one (and thus, which weapon enchantment) to attack with, and a lot of melee characters will hold a thrown weapon in their off-hand so that they don't have to take the time to draw one. Also, there are a couple of weapons that have magical properties which don't require you to attack with that weapon in order to use them.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Even a character who doesn't get to make multiple atacks per round can still gain plenty of benefits from holding two weapons - in addition to the feats I mentioned above, holding two weapons allows you to choose which one (and thus, which weapon enchantment) to attack with, and a lot of melee characters will hold a ranged weapon in their off-hand so that they don't have to take the time to draw one. Also, there are a couple of weapons that have magical properties which don't require you to attack with that weapon in order to use them.

So does that mean it's a better idea to dual wield when you're a higher level and have more abilities and more money to but magic items (I'm new, that's why I ask)

Even a character who doesn't get to make multiple atacks per round can still gain plenty of benefits from holding two weapons - in addition to the feats I mentioned above, holding two weapons allows you to choose which one (and thus, which weapon enchantment) to attack with, and a lot of melee characters will hold a ranged weapon in their off-hand so that they don't have to take the time to draw one. Also, there are a couple of weapons that have magical properties which don't require you to attack with that weapon in order to use them.

So does that mean it's a better idea to dual wield when you're a higher level and have more abilities and more money to but magic items (I'm new, that's why I ask)

Well, all combat styles will be better at higher levels when you have more abilities to utilize them.

Really though, if you want to Dual Wield then the best advice is to play a class that specializes in Dual Wielding. For example, Two Weapon Rangers are some of the highest damage dealing classes in the game and have lots of options that rely upon wielding two weapons. There are a number of other classes that also utilize two weapon fighting styles to various extents.

So, no, an average Joe doesn't receive anything special for wielding two weapons but lots of classes do and let you do cool stuff if you are. So, if you want cool dual wielding play one of those classes.

Dual-wield if you have a class feature that supports it - a ranger with the TWF style, a Tempest fighter, etc.  Those characters will want to dual-wield throughout their adventuring careers.

A Half Elf, Revenant, or Hybrid class character have options as well, since they can poach the powers that allow multiple attacks.

If you are playing any other build that doesn't use a shield or a two-handed weapon, you might still consider some of the TWF feats, but those are primarily perks.

Even if you're not playing a class that gets multiple attacks, if you can afford to have multiple magic weapons, it's a good idea to keep something in your off hand.

For example, even at 1st level Rogues usually have multiple daggers in their hands - one for melee combat and one for ranged attacks. Having to draw another thrown weapon every round eats up your actions-per-turn until you get a magic dagger (which automatically comes back when you throw it). For any sort of melee character, it's often useful to have something to toss at the enemy in the first turn of combat before the monsters get close enough to melee with.
For non-melee characters like sorcerors or wizards, having a weapon in your off-hand can save your life when the bad guys get past the defenders and climb in your pockets.
One trick that you can do is to put the Mage's Weapon enchantment on a parrying dagger - the "mage's" enchantment allows you to use the parrying dagger (a superior weapon requiring a feat to gain proficiency) without spending the feat to gain proficiency with it. Parrying daggers have the defensive property, which give you +1 to AC. So, for a couple hundred gold pieces you've increased your AC just by holding a weapon in your off-hand.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Specificly in 4e anyone can dual wield and there are no penalties for doing so.

But...

Unless you have a class feature to override it (ranger for example) your off hand weapon must have that (off hand) weapon property.

Anyone that has a 13 Str and Dex can take MC:Two Blade Fighter as their multiclass feat and be able to wield a pair of longswords (or whatever).

While you are free to choose which weapon to attack with, most attack powers take a Standard Action to execute and only specify an attack with a single weapon.

There are Ranger and Fighter attack powers that REQUIRE dual wielding.

If you have an attack power that is a minor action (such as the Rogue's Low Slash) you are free to choose to execute that attack with either hand.

There are Feats that enhance wielding two weapons.  For example Two Weapon Fighter and Two Fisted Shooter (rogue only)

Dual Wielding extends into non-martial classes, with Sorcerers Dual Wielding a staff and a dagger for example.