6/29/2010 SF: "Freedom for All"

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Sylvan Ranger is really not very much like Sakura Tribe Elder. (Unless you know something you're not letting on?)
The 'Higher and Higher' Standard deck is 62 cards with Day of Judgement in there twice
This sentence "She's actually really sharp: her ability to shut down either attacking or spell casting is always on during opponent's turns (and doesn't do anything during yours)." didn't really seem accurate at first glance.

The card, after all, prevents only opponents from both attacking with a creature and casting a spell during any turn.

However, since a player only gets to block with creatures during his opponents' turns, the sentence in the article and the text on the card really do describe the same effect in different ways, at least in the absence of some card that lets a player's creatures attack during the combat phase of his opponents' turns. And I can't recall such a card offhand, and, in fact, think that no such card exists yet.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

It's a new Fatestitcher type card, with a more impressive body attached, as well as a steeper price tag.

Edit: I meant Fatespinner.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

It's a new Fatestitcher type card, with a more impressive body attached, as well as a steeper price tag.

I don't think that Fatestitcher and Angelic Arbiter compare to each other in the least.  Fatestitcher costs 4 and the Angelic Arbiter costs 7.

Fatestitcher is not a card that you can base your entire deck around and the Arbiter is.

I'll take a Silence type effect over a twiddle any day of the week.

Not to mention he's got evasion.  He doesn't die if my enemy taps one red mana.

I totally missed Overwhelming Stampede. Overrun was iconic for fun casual cheap green decks... so they made it more complicated and moved it to rare? Considering Overrun worked best with a bunch of small token creatures that were mostly 1/1 or maybe 2/2, I'd consider this new variation slightly worse. I call shenanigans. 

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107006864516990804523/about

I totally missed Overwhelming Stampede. Overrun was iconic for fun casual cheap green decks... so they made it more complicated and moved it to rare? Considering Overrun worked best with a bunch of small token creatures that were mostly 1/1 or maybe 2/2, I'd consider this new variation slightly worse. I call shenanigans. 

Like you I think this is probably just a worse version of overrun in constructed but considering how powerful and awesome titanic ultimatum was in multiplayer and how this new card combos well with giant growth and friends when you get up to 6+ mana availible I think this is a nice card to have to further options in the casual environment. I don't like overrun being moved to rare though. I've been able to make overrun decks fit my budget for awhile now but if this card remains upwards of 3-4 dollars I probably won't be getting a playset. It's all kinda moot since I've really stopped playing standard and extended tournaments.

Something I'm extremely happy to see is garruk's companion I am always worried that they make a card like "rare watchwolf" which is a 3/3 for 2 mana with trample or some additional ability and while that still is a possibility I love the fact that this simple creature has remained a common (if watchwolf wasn't a part of that cycle it probably would have been a common). While every good card in RoE was rare or mythic (much fewer exceptions than a normal set), I'm glad that M11 actually has some good commons and uncommons. I'm still a bit worried about them moving towards "chase mythics" and "only good cards being rare" but at least with M11 there seems to be quite a few decent commons (still probably won't buy any packs because I'll be building my masques forward decks in anticipation collecting ravnica shocklands and such).

I am really enjoying all these "grey ogre" types of creatures being moved to "elvish visionary" levels. bramblesnap (from topian asthetic) that vampire aristocrat upgrade and now acivic wayfinder upgrade. I don't understand how it is like a sakura tribe-elder though. The tribe elder actually ramps your mana and in it's prime it could deal damage and still ramp your mana. Since the M10 rules changes it isn't nearly as good although it's still better than this. While I like this card a lot and I think it would have gotten plenty of play we currently have lotus cobra, birds of paradise, noble heirarch, joraga treespeaker, and more. It will depend on what actually rotates but I don't see this card beating out any of those. Don't get me wrong I still love this card and will try to get some at some point but with the competition it has for what it does I just don't think it will get much play (then again bop and heirarch are rotating so we'll see what happens also the potential for it to go into a tribal deck over cobra at 2 mana seems pretty good if elves are competitive.
Don't be too smart to have fun

Today was one of the few days when I saw a preview card and went "I dont like it". It was only when I turned to my wife to explain to her what it does that it clicked. It stops Haste. It stops pump spells. It gives your opponent only half a turn.

However, it costs 7 - so I still dont like it. (At least Linvala had a competitive mana cost...)

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

I don't think that Fatestitcher and Angelic Arbiter compare to each other in the least.  Fatestitcher costs 4 and the Angelic Arbiter costs 7.

Fatestitcher is not a card that you can base your entire deck around and the Arbiter is.

Not to mention he's got evasion.  He doesn't die if my enemy taps one red mana.

Sorry, Fatespinner.  I misspoke (mistyped?).
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
What was all that about white being evil? I don't see anything outwardly sinister about it....

So what if white benefits more from evening the playing field? Until other colors gain a Balance theme to their style white 1ups them on the virtue meter and they can't complain. Besides, the rule of law enforcement is not to make everything fair for criminals. It's using an approapriate amount of force to overpower criminals with the use of deadly force reserved as a last resort. I don't see any room to object to white's methods on that. It's how good guys are supposed to be.

The angel is flavorful when you think about it in a particular way. Imagine a white-based society, perhaps in a sense similar to our own. Everyone lives in it, and no one knows who's the "evil one", and the belief that there is one might as well be the pompous imagination of the white cult-like mind.

Now someone "attacks", as in perhaps does something socially rude, or says some words deemed inapproprite --

GUILTY! A crowd roared, condemned him, and scandalized him, and made up titles of crime that he is now subjected to. They have long waited for this chance to finally put away one of their adversary, and they made the whole city believe that they were the ones with blazing justie. They stored him in a jail (so he can't cast a spell or attack again), and the city is now "peaceful" again, and untrue stories now spread about how horrible this offender was.

Happened a lot in real life, and perhaps as one of the stories beneath the radiant angels as well, in the magical world.

Yes, Fatespinner was what I thought of as well. But I hadn't quite twigged that the Arbiter just flat-out stops haste or combat tricks either. That's even better than I realised.

All those Titans are looking pretty cool as well. If only it weren't for the density of vanilla creatures, I'd actually be quite inclined to buy some M11. I love the scry cards, and the uncommon planeswalker-friend engine cards, and even some of the reprints: I've got 20 Kodama's Reach but I could always use more, and I don't have enough Lightning Bolt or Mana Leak either. And a whole lot of the rares look impressive too. Hmm...
The 'Higher and Higher' Standard deck is 62 cards with Day of Judgement in there twice

That's just a typo, though, and the deck is still legal even if it weren't.

On the other hand, if as part of your preview of Angelic Arbiter you decide to build an EDH deck around all the cards that play nice with Angelic Arbiter, it might be a good idea to put an Angelic Arbiter in it.  Just sayin'.

Angelic Arbiter plus Alluring Siren means no spells for you!  The only problem is just casting the thing.
Angelic Arbiter plus Alluring Siren means no spells for you!  The only problem is just casting the thing.

Can't they just cast spells during their first main phase?  Then the Alluring Siren ability does nothing (since they can't attack).
My Decks
Tournament Decks (4)

Can't they just cast spells during their first main phase?  Then the Alluring Siren ability does nothing (since they can't attack).

Oh...You're absolutely right.  I guess there isn't really a combo with it, it just sorta slows down your opponent.   I guess it's nice that it stops combat trick spells and keeps the pressure off of you, but by the time I would be able to cast it normally I'd probably be already dead from 5cc baneslayers.  At least it can kill those.
Oh...You're absolutely right.  I guess there isn't really a combo with it, it just sorta slows down your opponent.   I guess it's nice that it stops combat trick spells and keeps the pressure off of you, but by the time I would be able to cast it normally I'd probably be already dead from 5cc baneslayers.  At least it can kill those.

If you're playing casual, you could run it with Maddening Imp.  Now they either play no spells and run their creatures willy-nilly into your team, or else they lose all of their guys (including any creatures they just played before combat - Maddening Imp is unforgiving of summoning sickness).
My Decks
Tournament Decks (4)
Sylvan Ranger is really not very much like Sakura Tribe Elder. (Unless you know something you're not letting on?)

Maybe he meant Civic Wayfinder/Borderland Ranger? It's like those but -1 colorless and -1/-1.
I hope it's not replacing elvish visionary...

You'll forget you ever read this the minute you look away.
Veslfen's House of Bone-Dry Sarcasm
88318561 wrote:
76783093 wrote:
there is nothing "epic" about a turn one victory. ever. or really any magic game, for that matter.
So this one time, I wanted to play a game of Magic with my friend, but he was in another country and neither of us had Magic Online. I hitchhiked my way to the coast, barely fending off hungry wildlife when I couldn't get a ride, nearly dying of thirst crossing deserts, and posoning myself half to death foraging for food. At one point, I was taken hostage by a group of kidnappers, only managing to escape after a week of careful planning thanks to careful application of a rusty spoon. Once I reached the coast, I had no money to buy a ticket across the ocean, so I built a boat using my own two hands, and spent months sailing across the waves, nearly losing my deck as I swam to the shore of a desert island in a storm after being capsized by an enormous wave. Nearly delusional after so long with no human contact (the notches I cut in the single tree to tell time had long since felled the thing) I was eventually rescued by a passing ship, where I was taken aboard as a crew member. We sailed around the world, seeing many exotic places and having great adventures, before we finally arrived at my friend's country. Once more I stumbled across a desolate landscape, riding on train or car when I could, and going on foot when I could not. Eventually, weary to the bone, seven years after I started my journey, I arrived at my friend's house, clutching my well-worn and weathered deck to my chest. We shuffled up our decks, I won the roll. Gleefully, I laid down my cards. Black Lotus. My friend looked quizzically at me, wondering what I was about to do. After so long, he no longer knew what deck I had brought with me to this game. Flash. A knowing smile appears on my friend's face as the knowledge slowly returns to him. Protean Hulk. My friend extends his hand, knowing the game is over before it even started. And finally, after so many trials, the sweet taste of victory is mine.
56866178 wrote:
108166749 wrote:
So no one else is upset with the stunt Wizards just pulled to drive sales?
Drive sales of what? Non-Jace, non-Mystic cards? I'm pretty sure people already own more than eight Magic cards. If you don't, I feel for you. Maybe you can trade those Stoneforge Mystics, which are still quite valuable, for some.
If you're playing casual, you could run it with Maddening Imp.  Now they either play no spells and run their creatures willy-nilly into your team, or else they lose all of their guys (including any creatures they just played before combat - Maddening Imp is unforgiving of summoning sickness).

Wrong.  Creatures with summoning sickness are not able to attack unless they have haste.  Maddening Imp forces creatures to attack if able, but it does not give them haste.

Not to mention he's got evasion.  He doesn't die if my enemy taps one red mana.

Sorry, Fatespinner.  I misspoke (mistyped?).

Ok, now I definetly agree with you.  I like Fatespinner and Angelic Arbiter type creatures.

But, for 7 mana...  Looks like a new playpal for Lotus Cobra.

Wrong.  Creatures with summoning sickness are not able to attack unless they have haste.  Maddening Imp forces creatures to attack if able, but it does not give them haste.

Just because they're unable to attack doesn't mean they're immune to the destroy part of maddening imp's ability. From reading the cards it looks like "those creatures" refers to ALL non-wall creatures target player controls.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Maddening Imp Rulings:
If a creature can't attack because of some restriction, or because it is tapped, it is destroyed at the end of the turn.

Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it
Maddening Imp Rulings:
If a creature can't attack because of some restriction, or because it is tapped, it is destroyed at the end of the turn.

Further, you could use nettling imp as well.  It is not as good as the Maddening Imp. 

I think that the Blue Fate Spinner is a good call to match with the White.   Although the ability to skip the draw step can allow them more flexibility to dump their hand out on you.  If they chose Main Phase with the Fate Spinner they lose the ability to play lands for the turn.

Simple pairing with Unsummon, Reality Spasm, into the voidsilenceregress, and negate seems like a very logical approach to the build.