Origins Thanks

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to give a thank you to the DMs at Origins for the games I played on Saturday.  And to the other players for making it enjoyable day.  I had a blast.  Especially my table of Shadows of the Knights.  It was interesting to say the least, especially listening to Shawn Merwin play a half-orc from Brooklyn.

Thanks for the volunteers who deal with mustering and everything behind the scenes making sure tables go off.

I was happy to see some people that I, unfortunately, only get to see at the Cons.  I look forward to seeing everyone again on Saturday at GenCon.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I wanted to give a thank you to the DMs at Origins for the games I played on Saturday.  And to the other players for making it enjoyable day.  I had a blast.  Especially my table of Shadows of the Knights.  It was interesting to say the least, especially listening to Shawn Merwin play a half-orc from Brooklyn.

Video or it didn't happen.

But yes, thanks to the Origins crew for putting on another great show.  I'd forgotten how fun it can be to just sit back and play.  I had great DMs (big shout outs to Ed and Tanios) and fun players at my tables.  It is amazing how much work it takes to make the fun, and everyone from the writers to the playtesters to the DMs to the admins deserve much more credit than they ever get.
I wholeheartedly concur.

(Except for the part about being at GenCon - I have prior committments. Cry )

Origins 2010 was my first out-of-town convention.  I enjoyed myself, and the only thing I would have different - open the parking garages earlier AM - isn't something the LFR people can control.  All the LFR stuff went off well.

I intend to go back next year, if I can collect the money and a 3-day weekend from work.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Let me add my thanks to the LFR folks at Origins.  I showed up with generic tokens several times taking the attitude "I want to play X, but I'll sit wherever there is a seat open."  They got me into my first choice every time.
I heard that they are making a new video game, where you control the Netherese flying citadel of Sakkors, raining death on your helpless enemies below. Working title: Mythal Command.
I only made it up to the RPGA room for one session; I spent most of my Origins times playing board games. The one table I played was an enjoyable adventure run by a prepared and enthusiastic DM, which is impressive considering I played an 8:00 a.m. slot.

I do have to confess that I was disappointed that the price was raised to $8 a session. I appreciate that there is a real cost associated with running RPGA tables but $8 is sitting right on the border of Too Much. $8 a session has turned LFR from a dawn-til-dusk convention activity into a once or twice per show thing for me.

================================================ "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." -Mr. Magorium ================================================

I do have to confess that I was disappointed that the price was raised to $8 a session. I appreciate that there is a real cost associated with running RPGA tables but $8 is sitting right on the border of Too Much. $8 a session has turned LFR from a dawn-til-dusk convention activity into a once or twice per show thing for me.

I imagine that Dave C. would note that the RPGA has no control over that.  The price of an event ticket at Origins is not set by the game organizer; it's set by GAMA/Origins, based on the length of the slot.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
That's not true. Other five hour events were six dollars.  I dont know pricing concerns or how they break them down. But we were the only rpg 5 hour slot for 8 bucks.
-Pot Stirrer. -Because I can. Co-Author Neth 3-3 Seek and Destroy. (Now with 10% more diplomacy!) Author ELTU 4-3 Minutes to Midnight (Waiting on Release) ABSO 4-2. (I really am working on this I promise!)
That's not true. Other five hour events were six dollars.  I dont know pricing concerns or how they break them down. But we were the only rpg 5 hour slot for 8 bucks.

And I don't know if I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but board game events weren't priced as much. A friend who was with me played in a 6-hour slot of Twilight Imperium that was priced at $6.00. I didn't play other roleplaying events, so I can't compare RPGA to non-RPGA events at Origins this year. I'm just saying that of all the things I spent money on at Origins this year (and I spent a lot of money at the show), $8.00 for a 4-hour RPGA session (yes, I know they can technically go 5 hours, but the adventure I played in went 4 hours) is the only expense that made me raise an eyebrow. Given the active RPGA crowd in my local area, going to conventions probably won't be RPGA-heavy for me as it has been in past years (such as shows where I did nothing but play nonstop Living Greyhawk all weekend) if pricing remains at $8.00 a pop.

================================================ "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." -Mr. Magorium ================================================

I must throw in a big "thank you" to Leslie, who really took care of my adventuring company "Fire for Effect" this year.  Most of the folks in the RPGA hall looked at the 6 of us like we had ****s growing out of our foreheads when we all showed up with generics, but Leslie was able to wrangle us up a table every time.
Yes, I always buy real tickets.  I don't like to slum with you... generic commoners... ;)

In all seriousness, in years past having a generic often meant not gettign seated.  Although I did notice this year was rather lean.  Not just in the RPGA area, but the con in general.  The dealers hall felt sparse.  Not as many people around.  Obviously a product of the economy.  Maybe folks are saving up for GenCOn.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
In all seriousness, in years past having a generic often meant not gettign seated.  Although I did notice this year was rather lean.  Not just in the RPGA area, but the con in general.  The dealers hall felt sparse.  Not as many people around.  Obviously a product of the economy.  Maybe folks are saving up for GenCOn.

It seemed that way to me, too, but I had breakfast with Mike Stackpole (author/game designer/GAMA board member) on Sunday, and he said that they figured attendance would wind up being up slightly.  He also said that the board game area was packed (I wouldn't know; other than 2 trips into the Exhibit Hall, and that breakfast with the GOHs on Sunday morning, I spent my entire con in the RPG area, at the far southern end of the convention center).  And, in fact, GAMA put out a press release on Tuesday, stating that attendance was up 5% versus 2009.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
Hmmm... interesting.  It sure didn't seem like it.  Hell, I was able to get a table in the food court!  on a Saturday! I call shenanigans. 
I wonder how they counted attendance. Anecdotal reports seem to indicate the daily totals were down so I'm wondering if there were less people there for all four days? Dragon9 is right about generics. I've been at Origins for 6 of the last 7 years and on generic tickets in the RPGA hall was always 'dicey'. Laughing
I wonder how they counted attendance. Anecdotal reports seem to indicate the daily totals were down so I'm wondering if there were less people there for all four days?

That may well be.  My guess is that the 10,669 figure which GAMA announced is "unique attendees", rather than "turnstile" (which would count a full show pass as 4 or 5 "attendances").  So, yeah, if there was a higher mix of one-day passes versus full-show passes, that might help explain the "empty" feeling.

Dragon9 is right about generics. I've been at Origins for 6 of the last 7 years and on generic tickets in the RPGA hall was always 'dicey'. Laughing

I did note that the RPGA hall didn't feel terribly crowded to me -- but I was only there on Thursday; I was playing Chronicles of the Shattered Empires (the Living Arcanis sequel) on Friday and Saturday, which was in a different set of halls.
I was in the Gathering/RPG/non-RPGA area most of the time and it was pretty busy.

The Catalyst Games room was almost overflowing on several occasions.

As an aside, their event tickets? 4 bucks.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric
I must throw in a big "thank you" to Leslie, who really took care of my adventuring company "Fire for Effect" this year.  Most of the folks in the RPGA hall looked at the 6 of us like we had ****s growing out of our foreheads when we all showed up with generics, but Leslie was able to wrangle us up a table every time.

:tips cap:

You're welcome. Happy to help out.

It was a pleasure to meet you guys, and it was an interesting experience judging for your friend in EAST2-2 (who was so irritated with me until he saw the tactics for the encounter - but it all worked out.)

I am hopeful that next year you guys (and everyone) buy real tickets as it's easier to make sure we have enough judges per event, per slot.

I was in the Gathering/RPG/non-RPGA area most of the time and it was pretty busy.

The Catalyst Games room was almost overflowing on several occasions.

As an aside, their event tickets? 4 bucks.

Apologies to stray off-topic, but did you play Shadowrun or Eclipse Phase or something else? I am curious how the games where. I am looking to play some EP at GenCon.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Both!

Though the second game of EP was marred by a overly domineering roleplayer that was playing his character as a joke. You know the type, loud, always wants to be the center of attention, oblivious to how uncomfortable he's making the rest of the table, more interested in his own 'performance' than actually following the adventure. Thinks a bad fake swedish accent is the height of roleplaying. And that he wasn't very serious is kinda jarring in a horror game. I loved the first EP game I played, though.

Eclispe Phase is pretty damn fun, but the transhuman elements can take some getting used to. And you know things have gone very badly when a party member enters an airlock without a suit, spaces himself, and the rest of the party considers it the sanest course of action.

BUT! This isn't an EP forum, so I'll leave it at that.

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric