[3DD] Trimester One: Fundamentals of Fun

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
To the young minds of YMtC who sit before me, welcome to what is sure to be an exciting term of assessment for you. This, is of course Fundamentals of Fun, and both I, Professor Crouch, and Assistant Professor Elevate shall be heading this subject.

For those of you who don't know me, let me briefly outline my teaching style. I'm recognised as quite a harsh critic, and have no qualms about laying into obvious flaws. Do note that while I might critique your work vehemently, I am certainly not making a personal attack - it's just my way of helping you improve.
I am a firm believer that ignorance is no excuse, thus Gatherer is your best friend here. Also, I will not tolerate plagiarism or collusion in any form whatsoever. If I deign you to be guilty of plagiarism or collusion when asked to submit original design, you will immediately fail the course.
I expect any cards submitted to be worded correctly, or worded to the best of your ability. Again, if you are having trouble wording your card, consult Gatherer for similarly worded effects.

To reiterate what has been said in the Registration thread, you must score an overall mark of 50% to pass this subject.

So, enough of all this boring lecturing, let's go put the 'fun' back into 'fundamental'!

At its heart, Magic: the Gathering is, quite simply, a game. And what's the main reason one would play a game? To have fun, of course! When designing cards, you must ensure that what you are doing is going to make the game more fun and thrilling for the people playing it.

Before we delve straight into making cards, I want to know what you all make of 'fun'. What is it about Magic that makes it fun for you; what makes you want to play Magic? What is it that makes certain cards fun to play? On the contrary, what about Magic do you find unfun? What kind of designs would you prefer not to play with, just because they seem unfun to use?

Your first assignment is this: Using the interrogative prompts above as a guide, write a short essay (no longer than 250 words) about your interpretation of fun, and what makes Magic fun for you.

This assignment is to be submitted to me via PM, and your first submission is treated as your final submission. It will be worth 10% of your total grade for this subject (simply submitting it will yield some marks), and you have 72 hours from this post to submit your work.

Class Progress Report

DrJWilson
Assignment 1 - Essay 1:

med200
Assignment 1 - Essay 1:

TheMamga
Assignment 1 - Essay 1:

theatog
Assignment 1 - Essay 1:

Chah
Assignment 1 - Essay 1:

Mage24365
Assignment 1 - Essay 1:
48 hours remaining for students to submit their first assignment.
With 25 hours remaining, I still require work from med200, TheMamga and Chah.
I am no longer accepting submissions for the first assignment.
Crouch, sorry i have to do this 2 times in a row. I will be on a trip until sunday. July 1st is Canada Day and i took friday off for a 4 day weekend trip. I will have no access to computers. I will try to get it done today, if I can't please excuse my submission until later? 

(This almost feels like work, LOL, where I have to get day off in advance)

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Before I present you with the grades for the first assignment, I would have you all submit the second assignment, which is closely related to the first.

Assignment Two: Now that you have explored your own definition of fun, you must realise that things that you find fun may not be fun for others to play. Write a short essay (no longer than 400 words) about the concept of fun as a whole. Discussion of aspects of design that are difficult to be portrayed as fun from any perspective are encouraged.

This assignment is to be submitted to me via PM, and your first submission is treated as your final submission. It will be worth 15% of your total grade for this subject, and you have 72 hours from this post to submit your work.
Roughly 39 hours to go.
Sorry. This feels a little weird to me. Essay length is longer and longer. They come one after another. No lectures, just assignments. This blurs the line between real work and fun learning(?) in casual forum. I've lost the will to continue on. Please drop me from the course and accept my apology.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
400 words is a little less than half a page. On Magic. 
My Resume
57106328 wrote:

And the trophy for the round goes to:
trophy.png DrJWilson - I really like how all the abilities worked together to create a really sweet card. This will be a popular pick for sure.

57718868 wrote:
1) DrJWilson 2) Silly Dragons 3) Libe
58325628 wrote:
Excellent design. Always loved Doubling Season and this card is an awesome variation on that.
58234648 wrote:
As for the card itself, it is quite possible the best use of mono-red vigilance I've ever seen on the boards. Well done.
58234648 wrote:
Love it.
58234648 wrote:
Very good design.
58025228 wrote:
I love it. Just find a good deck to use it against.
58025228 wrote:
i like it. I can imagine a bear eating a land or something then farting out the land's essence.
58325628 wrote:
Reminds me of a card I was working on earlier. I love the flavor and mechanics of this card. Great design and brilliant concept.
93144081 wrote:
I don't care if the white zombies are off, I just really like this card. Also seems likes its got a backstory I'd like to hear about. Like how I was interested in Anowon, the Ruin Sage before I realized he came from a web comic.
[quote author=64133868 post=462195821]
83237429 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
<3
58021268 wrote:
<4
<5 XD
Professors JohnnyValdez and BelangiaJo seem to have disappeared for some unknown reason; Professor Crouch told me to relay the message that he is putting this contest on hold until they return.