6/25/2010 LD: "Format Considerations"

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So... um... what?
No surprise no announcement on a new format.  This sucks.
It's an interesting article, explaining further some of the changes to which cards are banned in certain formats. No, it doesn't announce the new format that many, including myself, were hoping for, but this doesn't surprise me.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Well this article really put me at ease about what's going on with the DCI banned and restricted committee. I'm glad that they went to the tournament practice room and played some games before making any format-shattering decisions.

Tom on Extended:

"...I have very little to add to what we've already said about the change to Extended. Our goal when we create formats is to help people find players to play against. When a format is not played outside of Pro Tour Qualifier seasons, it isn't doing that job. The previous version of Extended had exactly this problem, so we came up with something that was different from Standard but that we thought people might actually want to play on their own. If you desire more explanation than this, I encourage you to read (or re-read) Brian David-Marshall's column from last week, which addresses the reasoning behind this format change in more detail."

Not sure you will second my sentiments, but one of these days I want to meet you and shake your hand (sincerely, I like the way you think although I disagree with what you say regularly). You are an amazing politician. Answering without answering, choosing to avoid the topic of the moment. Its as if you are running for office.

Come on, where's the Mr. LaPille I've come to respect for his confrontation of the hard issues?

I may be labeled a troll for this, but here I go:

Chicken!

That paragraph effectively says, "I'm not gonna talk about it, so there!" Imho of course.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
So... you guys banned Mystical tutor because of Flash Hulk?

I don't believe you... 
As a heads up to anyone involved in banning cards... Please review your statement "We also revised our belief that Mystical Tutor was a second-tier tutor. We now think it's tier one, and we think that any time a new spell-based combination deck arrives, ...Mystical Tutor would have been excited to be part of it."

Now perhaps I am weird but... Wouldn't Tarmogoyf love to jump into decks like say... Merfolk... Zoo... Aggro Loam... Eva Green...

Perhaps I am way off base but I bet he would love those decks...

P.S. maybe I am again off base but I would wager your real reason for banning Mystical is because you honestly and sincerely want to simplyfy magic... that is noble but Legacy isn't a "simple" format... there are thousands of combinations in the format. If someone delves into Legacy they clearly want something more complicated and skill testing.
See, I can listen to the argument about Mystical Tutor, but then when you throw information that doesn't jive into the mix, I begin to get suspicious.  The reasoning for that particular Flash deck winning should be more accurately attributed to the fact that the deck was designed by Billy Moreno to specifically fight against the Flash mirror.  Most other Flash decks did not sport 4x Counterbalance/4x Top.  Clearly more than one deck in the tournament sported a set of Mysticals, however those did not top 8.  I believe the fact that there were only 6x Mysticals in 3x copies of a deck solely run by a 2 mana instant speaks to the fact that perhaps the tutor was not the issue.
It's very possible that Mystical Tutor was too strong.  Although, Entomb is notoriously powerful, and people have been questioning whether LED should be banned since the inception of Legacy.
In small tournaments of 20ish people, you tend to notice what shows up. Hell, we had 2 lands decks in our local group for a while, and so everyone gears towards them whether or not they are good decks. You hear that such and such shows up, and you beat it. Grave-based decks and combo take specific cards to beat them. No pilot wants to fight through specialized hate all day, so they bring something else the next week. You tend to not see consistant combo decks, since they get hated out.

Such is not the case with creature based strategies, if you want to stop one specifically, you usually can use those tools to stop the lot of them to some degree. But creatures can slog through hate that isn't fine tuned to their deck also. Thats why you tend to see more creature based decks v. control in local meta's, because they are harder to hate out.

Then the players go to a GP trying to win, expecting something similar to what was at home. But the combo player is all glad to be in the midst of the unexpected room. He only loses to those prepared. So what happens? Poor players lose against these 'best' strategies because they are unprepared. It has a little to do with the resiliency that mystical adds, but way more with the lack of universal hate of the combo archetype at larger events.

How competitive is this gameroom they were testing in anyway? If it's anything from what I'd expect, it would be a lot of rock/eva green/dead guy ale types that the affected decks have no trouble beating, despite mindbreak trap or what not.
"Our goal when we create formats is to help people find players to play against. When a format is not played outside of Pro Tour Qualifier seasons, it isn't doing that job."

Standard and the Limited formats are found at FNMs; they automatically get a lot of play. They're familiar and popular. Vintage and Legacy offer the allure of "you can play (almost) anything." Extended offers neither advantage. No wonder it doesn't get played except in PTQ season.

Here's the rub: no matter how many years' worth of sets Extended has, it can never match the play-anything thrill of Legacy unless it becomes Legacy, and unless it becomes an FNM format, it will never have the chance to become as familiar as Standard or Limited. Under those circumstances, why should New Extended see any more play than its predecessor?

If Wizards wants its PTQ formats to be played outside PTQs, then the PTQ formats need to be synced up with FNM and other grassroots organized play. Bring back the fourth non-Worlds Pro Tour and alternate the PTQ seasons: Standard --> Sealed/Draft --> Standard --> Sealed/Draft. Make the Grand Prix tournaments the exotic formats.

About bannings:

Do them also in Standard when necessary, applying this exact approach that led to the banning of Mystical. Don't be afraid of immediate comparison to Affinity, or knee-jerk reactions of OMG a card got banned EPIC FAIL! Legacy still has more than 40 cards banned and Extended has two: there's no valid reason to pretend Standard should never have a banning at any given moment. They will made Standard more fun when applied. Case in point: Faeries, and probably Jund too. That "gentlemen pact" you described was exactly what was happening in Standard: people were tired of playing Faeries or a combinations of Fallouts, Cloudthreshers and Stags and were prefering to play subpar decks: "OK, it's glaringly obvious which are the best decks, so why don't we play something else and actually have some fun?"

Extended has the very real danger of facing this situation again and nobody wants to see it confirmed. Make your testing and judge if it's actually fun to keep Bitterblossom in it. If you find it's not (which can be expected if you found Sword of the Meek and Hypergenesis too dangerous) ban it without hesitation.

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
that's all bull man... guess your real world legacy field trip didn't incorporate visiting starcitygames and checking their tournaments. guess what, i'm only finding 2 reanimators and 2 ad nauseums in their last 2 tournaments, in the top 16. i used to think that the ban-hammer was used for unhealthy formats (skullclamp anyone?), not just because a deck's better in the first game than others.

as for extended, i'm starting to understand the supposed reasoning that you guys say you used, but it would just be comforting to hear you guys say "we wanted to bait in new people who buy our products, since extended doesn't make us any money". sincerely, this extended's gonna go bust just like the previous one, because you guys will not support it, and the fact that you can't figure that out, is mindboggling.

as far as i remember, extended was at it's most healthy and popular back when we had the 8 year old cardpool...

About bannings:

Do them also in Standard when necessary, applying this exact approach that led to the banning of Mystical. Don't be afraid of immediate comparison to Affinity, or knee-jerk reactions of OMG a card got banned EPIC FAIL! Legacy still has more than 40 cards banned and Extended has two: there's no valid reason to pretend Standard should never have a banning at any given moment. They will made Standard more fun when applied. Case in point: Faeries, and probably Jund too. That "gentlemen pact" you described was exactly what was happening in Standard: people were tired of playing Faeries or a combinations of Fallouts, Cloudthreshers and Stags and were prefering to play subpar decks: "OK, it's glaringly obvious which are the best decks, so why don't we play something else and actually have some fun?"

Sure in a smaller card pool like standard, adequate answers to solutions may not exist, or are too narrow. Such is not the case with legacy. This gentleman's agreement is utter BS.

Also they'd rather not ban cards in standard, and instead have a policy of printing 'solutions' to problem areas in the next block, since its less intrusive. Read: Cloudthresher, volcanic fallout. It doesn't always work, mind you.
I'm not into losing Mystical Tutor and I'm not into their explanation.  This "gentlemen's agreement" thing is silly.  What happens in the TP room should not affect competitive Magic.  Would you ban beer because 14-year olds puke their guts out every time they drink?  High level Legacy tournaments are supposed to be powerful.  You're supposed to bring specific hate for what you may face and you're supposed to have to play around the other guy's hate for your tricks.  That's part of the strategy and the fun.  Making it creature after creature turning sideways just makes it powered casual. 
It's an interesting article, explaining further some of the changes to which cards are banned in certain formats. No, it doesn't announce the new format that many, including myself, were hoping for, but this doesn't surprise me.

As a half-article, I agree. Although I don't agree about the "logic" with Mystical Tutor, its banning is also not my problem, so I'll stand aside on that. Unbanning cards is generally good news.

The bannings and unbannings in the eternal formats are frankly less interesting than everything involving a major change in an entirely different format, which is now six days away. I get that they want to heavily sell the upside, and I don't totally disagree with them there. But him not even acknowledging the dead bodies, a direct result of the way this was carried out, is poor form. 
(I find Tom LaPille a frustrating read.)

Re: Ponder, etc - Banning should be taken more seriously. It's fundamentally inelegant, in a number of ways that it wouldn't be efficient to get into here. One problem with looser and experimental bannings is that banning begets more banning. Case in point, Ponder and the thousand other one mana Blue draw spells. You can only play so many. I barely know the Legacy banned list, so I won't comment on that, but it seems to me that the Vintage banned list could be seriously cut down, and that a healthy point of format self-correction could be sought in a less brutal fashion.
Alright.

I'm done.

WotC has made the classic mistake of taking something successful (2009-10 was perhaps one of the most successful years for Magic all time) and engaged in an excessive amount of reform and change.  Not only have I spent hundreds of dollars on a format which no longer exists, but also I am informed that my love of that format is completely irrelevant.  I have been playing Magic since Saga.  I've loved it, I've lost it, I've loved it again.  It's gone.  Never before have I felt so betrayed by a company I trust.

Signing Off,

Thomas Lemon
DCI #: 43440091
BeLikeBoris on MTGO
Disappointing. No reaction to the extended reaction. No reference to the rumoured new format which might sugar the pill.

I would support the "new extended" (4 years of sets) if we also had a super-extended format (8 years of sets) next to it.

seriously, wizards, you make my blood boil some days.

Aww, you lost the polls (or hid them due to embarassing results).

"Our goal when we create formats is to help people find players to play against. When a format is not played outside of Pro Tour Qualifier seasons, it isn't doing that job."

No.  Organized Play (OP) has the goal of helping people find others to play against.  You have the task of creating formats that OP can use.  Extended was the best PTQ season to come around each year and I always looked forward to it.

I play Magic in essentially 3 different tournament.  I do my weekly FNM, which is either Standard or Draft, by OP's rules.  I do Prereleases and Launch Parties, which are obviously sealed.  I also play PTQs, whatever format they are for the season.

So, you see, I don't get to play Magic outside of these 3 OP driven tournaments.  That means I regularly play Standard because it's an FNM format.  I regularly draft because it's an FNM format.  Why don't I play Extended form week to week?  Where would I play it?  Does that means I hate Extended?  No, it's my favourite format even though I don't get to play it often.

Is the introduction of a 4-year format interesting?  Yeah, sure.  The new extended has a lot of things going for it.  But why did the old Extended have to go away to make room?
So let me get this straight. 

You make mythic Rares and effectively price me out of playing standard competitively. Now you have these items hold value longer by making it necessary to play them in Extended. So now I dont own cards new enough to make a decent Extended deck so now I fold on 2 of the three main formats. 

So lets  completely change Legacy AGAIN before a Grand Prix Columbus. The only format I can afford to play, because once you own the card they don't go bad like so much rotted fruit. I loved A.N.T. and Reanimator or for that matter any combo deck. I loved to play them and I loved to play against them even more. To make a blanket statement of people in smaller tournaments didn't / don't play these decks is flat out wrong. Does wizards get deck list from all of these events? Nope because I don't submit one to play in my local events "SO HOW DO YOU KNOW"? 

Do you know what decks I hate? Zoo! thats it only one. Stupid 1 and 2 drops which can race out Fattie beats from Reanimator. It can also bring a A.N.T. players life total down so low then die from the Ad Nauseam on turn 3. I refuse to play it, test against it constantly, and would love to see it go away. YET W.O.T.C. keeps making it better, how you may ask? With things like Quasali Pridmage oh bye bye ghostly prison now I can attack with my 5/6 or bigger goyfs. Oh you answers @ 4 mana or spells with X Gaddock Teeg has that one covered. Do you want a bigger Kird Ape, sure here have Wild Nacatl. By all means please tutor up any land you want when you need it with Knight of the Reliquary because you needed that waste land to kill my Mishra's Factory at that clutch moment. And of course it will be in color with the most powerful 1 mana instant and socery spells in the game Bolt, Swords, Chain, and Path. Spells so good they have multiple word names and you only needed one of the words to know what spells I was talking about. 

Oh and another big beef I have is why can you not reprint Counterspell? You printed Deprive same mana same effect but its more complicated. So the arrangement that Counterspell was too complicated are moot. And to say its too powerful in a standard environment which includes bolt, path, and duress seems like a silly argument as well. 

No.  Organized Play (OP) has the goal of helping people find others to play against.  You have the task of creating formats that OP can use.

It isn't clear that this distinction is significant from the viewpoint of the article.

If a format is not interesting enough to players to bring them to organized play for that format, then the format isn't one that organized play can use very well.

From the rest of your post, it appears that you are addressing the chicken-and-egg question; you are claiming that the reason Extended isn't played much is because opportunities to play it weren't being offered, rather than there being a lack of such opportunities being due to lack of interest. Could be; it's hard to tell.

In one respect, the new Extended might help with that part of the equation too. Because of its truncated card pool, it might be possible to consider adding it to the list of formats for FNM, and perhaps we should encourage Wizards to do this.

Oh and another big beef I have is why can you not reprint Counterspell? You printed Deprive same mana same effect but its more complicated. So the arrangement that Counterspell was too complicated are moot. And to say its too powerful in a standard environment which includes bolt, path, and duress seems like a silly argument as well.

The reason they don't like Counterspell is not so much that it is absolutely too powerful, but that it gives too much power to an unfun type of deck which discourages new players from continuing to play Magic and buy more cards.

Interesting article...

The Gentleman's Agreement was an interesting read,since it happens here at the casual level and even during tournaments. We don't bring our top decks,we all bring something fun to play. But then again down here its not all about being "top dog"

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls

No.  Organized Play (OP) has the goal of helping people find others to play against.  You have the task of creating formats that OP can use.

It isn't clear that this distinction is significant from the viewpoint of the article.

If a format is not interesting enough to players to bring them to organized play for that format, then the format isn't one that organized play can use very well.

From the rest of your post, it appears that you are addressing the chicken-and-egg question; you are claiming that the reason Extended isn't played much is because opportunities to play it weren't being offered, rather than there being a lack of such opportunities being due to lack of interest. Could be; it's hard to tell.

In one respect, the new Extended might help with that part of the equation too. Because of its truncated card pool, it might be possible to consider adding it to the list of formats for FNM, and perhaps we should encourage Wizards to do this.

Well, they are going to have to make it available for FNM, or it will suffer the same lack of participation as the previous version. People played casual Extended all the time. Those people will now play casual legacy and casual Vintage. Or, they might just start ignoring banned/restricted lists entirely. (There is already a subset of casual players that does this.)

I fully expect that Nu-Extended will be offered as an FNM format sometime soon, maybe after October's rotation.

Since there's so much complaining I'd just like to let you guys at WoTC know I'm extremely happy with the changes you have done here wrt to Extended.

Thank you.
Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
There's no way I can afford to play Standard competitively: I can't afford the cards on my budget.

Of course, this is not a new problem; although this cartoon was posted to the web on November 2, 2008, it originally appeared in the Duelist back in the October 1997 issue, give or take an issue.

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

Ok.

This article is MEANINGLESS. It does nothing to address the concerns raised by the format changes, and has little information of value (to me).

I still feel VIOLATED by this (apparent) cavalier attitude of WotC towards older players on limited budgets.

Better? Maybe from the CoC's point of view, but it doesn't adequately express the outrage I've felt, and continue to feel, towards WotC.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

There's no way I can afford to play Standard competitively: I can't afford the cards on my budget.

Of course, this is not a new problem; although this cartoon was posted to the web on November 2, 2008, it originally appeared in the Duelist back in the October 1997 issue, give or take an issue.

This is important to point out.

If you are smart with your card budget, and a savvy shopper, you can get what you need.
If you are the type of player that decided yesterday he wanted 4 Jaces, I have no sympathy.

I could afford booster boxes when I was in high school, I can afford them now too. For WWK I didn't buy booster boxes and bought 3 Jaces (for basically the same price, which is fair, IMO) instead.

Trading is important, and someone people that complain try to ignore exists, like everyone goes to SCG and just dumps decklists into their cart. Noone does that.

I have no sympathy for anyone who claims to be quitting here. History of magic players threatening to quit on the internet proves they are bluffing almost every time.
I have no sympathy for anyone who is trying to puff up their chest and proclaim outrage.

Extended was dying. People acknowledge it now, that WoTC has finally admitted as much.
Extended needed something, and this seems to have done the trick. People are getting EXCITED about the new extended season. Excitement and Extended?!? I know, right? Cards from Lor/Sha are going up in value again. People who never bothered with Extended (read: me and many others) are trying to brew up lists and get cards together for decks.

WoTC doesn't let the negative Nancies on the internet bother them, especially when they know they are doing the right thing.

I continue to applaud WoTC for these changes, and can't wait until the 'outrage' dies down in a few weeks, because it got old fast.
"Stop *****ing, start brewing" -YoMTGTaps Trying to talk Magic players off ledges since 2001. Sharing my knowledge of rumor history, and how to discuss rumors effectively.
Extended still won't get played except for qualifiers unless it becomes a FNM format.  I'd have played the old Extended regularly if it were supported at all.  Same goes for the new one.

Regarding the Legacy changes, well really only the banning of Mystical Tutor, "People played decks with Mystical Tutor and did well in a couple of tournaments, but many other types of decks won other tournaments.  We had success with using Tutor in the Magic Online Tournament Practice Room." seems like a poor reason to ban a card.
The end is always nigh.
I agree that Extended will have to become an FNM format to be popular. It's too different from Legacy to draw many people away from it. A tournament organizer could easily run one draft, one sealed, one Standard, and one Extended every month.
I find it interesting that a lot of the detractors on the forums are saying, approximately, "I enjoyed Extended, therefore it was popular!" Wizards has run the numbers - as BDM said in the announcing column, the Extended PTQs have had the lowest turnout by a significant margin for some time. Obviously, location will be a factor, but the WotC statistics department is unlikely to be completely stupid, and would have taken this into account. Clearly, the data all point to the format not being popular compared to any other.

Now, let us examine the logic behind changing the existing format. If the format is not popular, then it is more difficult to find people to play with. Their goal is to allow us to play with as many people as possible. The idea of adding a new format in between Extended and Standard is interesting, but doesn't really solve the problem that well - at best, Extended would remain as unpopular as before, and would even lose some members to the new "Super Standard" format, thus making it more difficult to find people to play against. However, changing Extended means that those, as BDM said, who wish to refrain from spending more money after investing in Standard have a place to take their rotated decks, tune them up, and play, rather than completely revamping.

It's not clear if the new format will fix the problem, but there clearly was a problem, and kudos to Wizards for their proposed solution.

tl;dr version: You enjoying a format does not mean it is popular. Disagree with the proposed solution, sure, but not with the statistics that imply a problem.

For an explanation of this announcement, read The Week That Was column today and the Latest Developments column next Friday, June 26.

(from the announcement on the 18th)

So, the further explination is there will not be any further explination? 

Gee, thanks for the effort.

Nothing like having an R&D member point to an article written by a non-R&D member, eh?

We're living "changerously," alright.
It's really sad that choices of magic developer are ever more "newbye friendly"... actually we have extended and t2 with 0 combo decks playable and legacy lose 2 combo decks too...
I think that ban should be only the last option when an archetype is too broken (i remember some years ago dredge pre rotation in extended was really powerful and all decks have 8 slots against it but they don't ban anythibn) in any case the opininion of legacy players should be considerated (i haven't heard a single person that agree with this sensless choice...)
In any case i still hope the new super-extended Cry

P.s. anyway i read the intere article and also if my english isn't so good i didn't find any good reason that explain this choice (extended unplayed= not true in Italy, mistical too broken= see the top 8 decklists u can find more fow, tarmogoyf, wasteland, swords ecc ecc than mistycal)
I continue to applaud WoTC for these changes, and can't wait until the 'outrage' dies down in a few weeks, because it got old fast.

I'm just amazed, in fact, about how little outrage there is about this change. Yes, there are a few threads here of moderate length complaining about it, but not only are they nothing compared to the complaints over the Magic: 2010 rules change, they're not even comparable to the complaints when the "foil loophole" was closed.

That second item was actually hard for me to understand.

My attitude to the change to the Reprint Policy was that it made Wizards look silly. While I basically agreed that it was vital to ensure collectors and dealers understood Wizards would "keep its word" and not reprint anything on the Reserved List, even as a foil or textless "promotional" card, that was of real significance, i.e. everything from the Power Nine down to the original duals... it was my belief that it would have been quite sufficient to just say so - to reassure everyone that the "foil loophole" would be used with discretion.

If that had been the only complaint, then, indeed, this would have been a minor issue.

But instead, there were a lot of complaints based on the premise that the Legacy format urgently needed to be invigorated by means of reprints of the original dual lands - and that this was likely to happen in the near future, if it hadn't been for Wizards changing course with this Reprint Policy change.

So, on the one hand, we had this, where people complained loudly and long about the loss of an imaginary prospect, some years down the road, of cards like Chrome Mox, Umezawa's Jitte, the shocklands, and Tarmogoyf, holding their value better because more people are playing Legacy...

and on the other hand, when the values of those same cards declines for real, in the near term, because they're booted out of Extended sooner than expected, hardly anyone complains.

My mistake, perhaps, was being too cynical. Remember, the biggest complaints were about the Magic: 2010 rules changes. So while the cost of playing Magic, and the value of the cards one already has, are concerns, the biggest concern is, as it properly should be, how much fun one can have playing with those cards.

If you are smart with your card budget, and a savvy shopper, you can get what you need.

Yep. I agree with this whole-heartedly. I simply made the mistake of investing/trading in Kamigawa & Ravnica, thinking I could play these cards for a year or 3 while I prepared for going Classic. Casual play in Standard is *boring. (IMO)

Much as I'm ranting over being forced to switch around, I will still continue to play. While I thought about quitting in a huff, it ain't gonna happen. I love the game too much... even if I am delegated to being a casual player forevermore.

* My standard decks are all "on the cusp" and cannot get any better w/out significant cash flow. And it's no fun to win most of the time in casual play, and lose most of the time in tourney (or practice) play.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Well this article really put me at ease about what's going on with the DCI banned and restricted committee. I'm glad that they went to the tournament practice room and played some games before making any format-shattering decisions.

You're thinking it maybe wasn't rigorous enough?

Relax. They did it properly. Each of them had a friend watching over their shoulder and offering opinions on whether particular plays were "busted wide open" or not. And these weren't just any friends, they were guys who had played quite a lot of Magic.

This is important to point out.

If you are the type of player that decided yesterday he wanted 4 Jaces, I have no sympathy.

I could afford booster boxes when I was in high school, I can afford them now too. For WWK I didn't buy booster boxes and bought 3 Jaces (for basically the same price, which is fair, IMO) instead.

Trading is important, and someone people that complain try to ignore exists, like everyone goes to SCG and just dumps decklists into their cart. Noone does that.

I have no sympathy for anyone who claims to be quitting here. History of magic players threatening to quit on the internet proves they are bluffing almost every time.
I have no sympathy for anyone who is trying to puff up their chest and proclaim outrage.

Extended was dying. People acknowledge it now, that WoTC has finally admitted as much.
Extended needed something, and this seems to have done the trick. People are getting EXCITED about the new extended season. Excitement and Extended?!? I know, right? Cards from Lor/Sha are going up in value again. People who never bothered with Extended (read: me and many others) are trying to brew up lists and get cards together for decks.

WoTC doesn't let the negative Nancies on the internet bother them, especially when they know they are doing the right thing.

I was suprised to find most of the outrage on these fourms.  After reading some threads here, I headed over to MTGS expecting to see the same level of outrage.  This was not the case.

Most players don't care about the death of "old extended", there is just more hate here from random scrubs signing up to say their quitting magic. (Most of these "I quite" statements are from guys with one post) 
It's really sad that choices of magic developer are ever more "newbye friendly"...

You might want to go to the Future Set Speculation forum. The Magic: 2011 preview cards, at least, are starting to include some encouraging news that indicates that Magic isn't entirely continuing to move in this direction, but is, instead, at least in some respects, reversing course.