I'm Calling it Right Now....

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
White-based aggro-decks (I'm guessing Kithkin, White/Black tokens, maybe White/Green tokens) will use Windbrisk Heights to cast Emrakul, the Aeons Torn.

Turn 1 or 2, you play Windbrisk Heights and exile Emrakul.

Turn 3, you cast Spectral Procession.

Turn four, you attack with your creatures and activateWindbrisk Heights to cast (I repeat, cast) Emrakul.  You take an extra turn.

Turn 5, you attack with Emrakul for 15 in the air (and whatever else you happen to have out).  They lose 6 permanents automatically.

That sounds like "win" to me.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I doubt it.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
I doubt it.

May I ask why you think that?

*cough* Oblivion Ring/Journey to Nowhere *cough*

True, those will answer it.  As will Executioner's Capsule, Mindbreak Trap and m11's Æther Adept.  Answers, however, are extremely limited (even moreso than Merit Lage, since you can't even Path it) when it actually hits.  And, worse comes to worse, you still get the Time Walk (and Oblivion Ring / Journey to Nowhere would hit Cthulhu only AFTER you attack with him for 15 in the air and they sacrifice 6 permanents).

If nothing else, I can see it as a side-board option for White Weenie and token decks, but I seriously think that it's good enough to go in the main (and easy enough to go off that it doesn't even have to be built around it).
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

i kind of like progenitus more, even if he's not as epic and can be countered
No they won't.  The only decks that MIGHT do this are U/W decks.  B/W tokens and kithkin decks?  That would be awful, mostly because you can't be assured that the four cards you're removing will be Emrakul.  It's too random and unreliable.  if you're running Blue, then Jace let's you do something like that, but in kithkins?  

No.  No chance.

Unless kithkins splash blue for Jace......oh god....-_-

"Meow Meow Meow I'm a kitty GAIN 100 LIFE." - Some genius

The only decks that MIGHT do this are U/W decks.

Hmmm... I kind of like that pairing.  Brainstorm to put it on top, drop Windbrisk Heights, exiling Emrakul.  I can still see B/W potentially tutoring for it in the same way.  It would definitely be slower, although certainly a lot more resilient.

You're definitely right that it probably wouldn't be in Kithkin aggro, as it would be a bit random.  Still... I could see it as a potential side-board option to try to shore-up certain bad matchups, or to completely surprise an unsuspecting opponent.

And yeah, Progenitus would be another great option -- even more difficult to answer once resolved, damage guaranteed to push through.  I just think that with Faeries and 5 Color Control has huge contenders, the fear of being countered would be enough to steer people away from him.

Hmmm... perhaps a W/X deck that could side Progenitus in for control matchups?  Esper would be good colors for it.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

well, if a counter is really a problem, you could always keep summoning trap as an option. besides, there are only a handful of counters that competitive players would want to play, and  meddling mage and declaration of naught could help there... or maybe not xD
It's cute but wasting 4 slots in a tight agro deck for a combo that while guranteeing you to win isn't really needled especially when you have targets that can do nearly the same thing already.
And it's said that youth's ,well only tragedy Is being unoriginal
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I would say that the arguments for and against are obvious, really.

Pros: Instant win combo when it works

Cons: Inconsistent, gives you dead draws whenever you draw an Emrakul you can't possibly play by natural means.

I doubt that the pros outweigh the cons.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Incorrect.

The deck has no manipulation, ya know.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Incorrect.

The deck has no manipulation, ya know.

That's why I like Iwaaan's suggestion of White/Blue.  You get Jace, Ponder, Foresee and M11's  Preordain for setting it up, then drop the Windbrisk Heights and attack with three from a Spectral Procession or something.  You could even splash black if you really wanted a tutor (either Liliana to put it on top of the library or some other tutor to brainstorm back on top.

Blue/White -- maybe Blue/White/(black) -- definitely looks like the way to go with this.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Very much like NO into Proggy. Could work, I suppose.

Gosh, for some reason aggro-combo decks tend to get me excited.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump

How do those answer it you get the extra turn
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

Because you have to win in that turn and while you are trying to pull off a terribe combo you are wasting 4 deck slots and risking the chanse of having dead cards in your hand.
89522235 wrote:
niche's solution to everything is always MOAR BLACK! "ok, my legacy mono black control deck is getting hated out by light of day..." "MOAR BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Because you have to win in that turn and while you are trying to pull off a terribe combo you are wasting 4 deck slots and risking the chanse of having dead cards in your hand.

If this combo goes off, it is a win.

Turn 1: Celestial Colonnade or Glacial Fortress.

Turn 2: Untap, Ponder (or M11's equivalent). Windbrisk Heights for Emrakul.

Turn 3: Mystic Gate / Plains, cast Spectral Procession.

Turn 4: Attack with the tokens, activate Windbrisk Heights to cast Emrakul. Your opponent can take as much as 3. Take an extra turn.

Turn 5: Attack with your tokens (again, potential for 3) and Emrakul. They sacrifice 6 permanents and take upwards of 18 (in all likelihood, having to sacrifice both potential blockers and lands).

By your turn 5, you can potentially deal 21 points of damage and force your opponent to sacrifice 6 permanents. You could run Jace not only to set up for Emrakul if you can't manipulate your deck early, or to remove blockers that they could potentially still have out. Hell, if you can't kill them off after your turn 5, you can just sit back on your untapped lands with a Mana Leak or Negate in hand.

I think that this deck has a LOT of potential in the upcoming Extended. It's fast and devastating when it combos off but can play control in matches if the combo doesn't work.
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

If this combo goes off, it is a win.

Turn 1: Celestial Colonnade or Glacial Fortress.

Turn 2: Untap, Ponder (or M11's equivalent).  Windbrisk Heights for Emrakul.

Turn 3: Mystic Gate / Plains, cast Spectral Procession.

Turn 4: Attack with the tokens, activate Windbrisk Heights to cast Emrakul.  Your opponent can take as much as 3.  Take an extra turn.

Turn 5: Attack with your tokens (again, potential for 3) and Emrakul.  They sacrifice 6 permanents and take upwards of 18 (in all likelihood, having to sacrifice both potential blockers and lands).

By your turn 5, you can potentially deal 21 points of damage and force your opponent to sacrifice 6 permanents.  You could run Jace not only to set up for Emrakul if you can't manipulate your deck early, or to remove blockers that they could potentially still have out.  Hell, if you can't kill them off after your turn 5, you can just sit back on your untapped lands with a Mana Leak or Negate in hand.

I think that this deck has a LOT of potential in the upcoming Extended.  It's fast and devastating when it combos off but can play control in matches if the combo doesn't work.

If I really have to explain why building a deck idea off of multiple if situations like if I have 3 creatures if they live to to attack if I have a hideaway if I have a elderazi in the top 4 and if while you are doing all this which has no impact on the board almost you some how don't lose then congratualions you won.

I'm sorry if I don't give some detailed explination about why you are wrong but just accept that you are wrong and look at combo decks of the past and realize that none of them never rely on creatures  and all usually can either win or lock the game by turn 5-6 reliably which this can not.

89522235 wrote:
hmm, windbrisk heights in place of Brilliant Ultimatium in the Brilliant ultimatium decks. Free Emrakuls, Jaces and Wraths.

How would that be possible if they got an extra turn around turn 4, would you have enough land to do that turn 5 after losing 6 permenants?

"Black Lotus x4, Time Walk x4. and Mox Sapphire x4?, Maybe he is running the budget version"

[center]---Standard---[/center]

Eldrazi Green

:R: Red Deck Wins :R:

:G::W: Naya :W::G::R:

---Extended---

Red Deck Wins

Beleive it or not, I tried this idea a couple hours ago after reading this, it worked out turn 4 but I had trouble getting the combo executed.

"Black Lotus x4, Time Walk x4. and Mox Sapphire x4?, Maybe he is running the budget version"

[center]---Standard---[/center]

Eldrazi Green

:R: Red Deck Wins :R:

:G::W: Naya :W::G::R:

---Extended---

Red Deck Wins

I'm sorry if I don't give some detailed explination about why you are wrong but just accept that you are wrong and look at combo decks of the past and realize that none of them never rely on creatures  and all usually can either win or lock the game by turn 5-6 reliably which this can not.

I agree with you that this combo is pretty unlikely to see any (successful) tournament play, but I do have to take slight issue with your statement that combo decks never rely on creatures. Combo Elves won a Pro-Tour pretty recently...
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you that this combo is pretty unlikely to see any (successful) tournament play, but I do have to take slight issue with your statement that combo decks never rely on creatures. Combo Elves won a Pro-Tour pretty recently...

I'm sorry combo decks that can win on turn 2 are allowed to use creatures.
89522235 wrote:
i agree with bughferd, this combo isnt going to be consistent enough to see much play at all. you give up consistency, speed, and alot of your power in the hopes that you will be able to get a turn 4 emrakul. 

that being said, ive been testing an elf deck that uses mosswort bridge to cheat out emrakul to some success, but the difference is that the entire deck is built to mana ramp up to that level. and even then, ive tested the same list using the slots saved for emrakul for other beatdown cards, and its much better.  
Heights+Procession is used in tight aggressive decks to get free card advantage/pour on more pressure through the cheating of various Anthem effects/Ajani Goldmane/Overrun (in the G/W lists).

This necessitates you having a very tight, aggressive LIST.

If you're diluting your deck with a bunch of combo pieces just so you can MAYBE put Emrakul under Windbrisk Heights and THEN try to swing with 3 Spectral tokens I would like to tell you that you're doing it wrong. You'll be spending all that time trying to set up the combo while all the Jund, Naya, and better tokens lists are going to run you right over. 

Then there's the issue of actually maintaining three creatures on the board. As soon as Windbrisk Heights comes down, people typically make it priority uno to keep you off three creatures.

It all seems very cute in theory, and I'm sure it's a fun deck to goldfish with, but when you're forced to Heights and you see Ponder, land, land, Preordain instead of Goldmane/Overrun, land land you're going to cry 

If I really have to explain why building a deck idea off of multiple if situations like if I have 3 creatures if they live to to attack if I have a hideaway if I have a elderazi in the top 4 and if while you are doing all this which has no impact on the board almost you some how don't lose then congratualions you won.

This. Quite simply, this deck is too slow and too many if statements. Your deck is fine for casual play but I seriously doubt ill be scared of heights flipping over emarkul.

P.S. Bughferd you play LoL?

This. Quite simply, this deck is too slow and too many if statements. Your deck is fine for casual play but I seriously doubt ill be scared of heights flipping over emarkul.

Yes quiet a lot actually.

89522235 wrote:

ME TOO! I've been playing since public beta first opened up.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

Been playing a couple months season one really has me down through whats your username also?
89522235 wrote:

Been playing a couple months season one really has me down through whats your username also?

lord kratos
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.

lord kratos

So thats who you are you added me as a friend and I just thought you were someone I played the night before with.
89522235 wrote:
Seems to inconsistent for a deck that wants to win fast like kithkin. I could see some u/w control possibly trying it.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!