Can Lark combo be relevant again?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Getting straight to the point:  With all of the changes to extended going on, can U/W Lark be a player in competitive extended?  For those unaware, it involved Reveillark in conjunction with Body Double and Mirror Entity, and cards like Riftwing Cloudskate.  Cloudskate is just one example of course.

Early testing in my playgroup has shown Cascade Swans to be good.  Not sure what that means for combo in general, but the main concern with U/W lark is that there's more than enough graveyard hate to screw it up.  

Can this deck matter again?  Or will it still be that one deck that used to be good, then moved over onto the kitchen table? 

"Meow Meow Meow I'm a kitty GAIN 100 LIFE." - Some genius

Getting straight to the point:  With all of the changes to extended going on, can U/W Lark be a player in competitive extended?  For those unaware, it involved Reveillark in conjunction with Body Double and Mirror Entity, and cards like Riftwing Cloudskate.  Cloudskate is just one example of course.

Early testing in my playgroup has shown Cascade Swans to be good.  Not sure what that means for combo in general, but the main concern with U/W lark is that there's more than enough graveyard hate to screw it up.  

Can this deck matter again?  Or will it still be that one deck that used to be good, then moved over onto the kitchen table? 

Well... The best tech against Cascade Swans (which I think could become the combo benchmark) is GY hate for the dredge land and/or counterspells. Both shut this deck down as well.

I think that controlling decks will probably be very strong in this new metagame, and neither of these decks are Dredge decks that can't be stopped by Thoughtseize, counterspells or anything else conventional - they are straight up combo decks. This puts them at a disadvantage to the metagame.

But even when Fae was strongest, Lark combo was a very viable (and at PT Hollywood possibly even the best) metagame choice. Fae was 'only' about 25-30% of the meta, and Lark beat everything else. If Charles Gindy hadn't lucksacked against a Lark player in the semifinals (the Lark player had to mulligan. A lot.), the finals would have been between Lark and Merfolk - to Merfolks advantage, granted, but still.

I still think it comes down to which of the combo decks are best - Cascade Swans, Lark or Living End. All three of them pretty much die to the same hate, so it basically depends on which deck performs best, and has access to the best anti-hate (definitely both Thoughtseize and Duress in pretty much every combo list).
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
I somewhat disagree: Cascade Swans and Living Ends are much more all-in combo decks than UW Lark. With Lark you can be as control as you want and leave the combo as a mere finisher, or even skip the Mirror Entity and go for the long grinding win (although I hated it).

Extirpate on Body Double is annoying, but against Tormod's crypt or relic or progenitus it is quite easy to force them to blow up the graveyard without achieving that much against you. Of Swans and Living End, I guess Swans is more resilient, but Living End can be more devastating against unprepared opponents.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
I somewhat disagree: Cascade Swans and Living Ends are much more all-in combo decks than UW Lark. With Lark you can be as control as you want and leave the combo as a mere finisher, or even skip the Mirror Entity and go for the long grinding win (although I hated it).

Yes, this.  Because Lark doesn't have to win with the combo (or even have it as the main focus of the deck), it is much more resilient than Cascade combo decks.  That being said, though, Lark still doesn't like seeing graveyard hate, and that hate (along with Faeries being really good) will certainly keep the deck in check. 

the deck is actually a lot better with the removal of mirror entity and replaced by Greater Gargadon. while mirror entity can be killed of rather easily after the first activation. anyone remember seeing Sulfer Elemental getting sideboarded beacuse of his ability to completely shut down the combo by competely removing any chance mirror entity had of living? Gargadon creates an uncounterable and unkillable sac outlet which led to alot of players moving to him.

but is the deck still viable? yes it is because you have to look at the fact that its still the same amazing deck it was before shards minus the rune snag if you played them.

So I made a thread in the extended deck help section about Reveillark. I hope you posters out there that are interested in making Reveillark work will give the thread some awesome ideas. 

I thought of making it Bant colors for ramp and maybe some other creatures/spells to make it better, but since I don't know Reveillark very well, it's all in the air.
Sign In to post comments