6/23/2010 BoaB: "Howling Burn"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
That's a relatively straight forward red deck. Can't believe I haven't thought of something like this. It can give my Mines something to do while I try to give them a better home...and I have 4 devastating summons lying around.

But yeah if you've got RDW running rampant in your area this may not be a good choice.
Um, one small thing... RDW has been known to run Dragon's Claw for the mirror. Bogs the game down, but works. The one-sided board matchup doesn't reflect any boarding on the opponent's part.

Also, could this deck stand a Kiln Fiend or 2, 3 or 4?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
so in the first game against turbo lands jacob cast an earthquake he did not account for with drawing nor in his opening hand?  is there just a typo?
I looked at this, looked at the M11 spoiler, pondered, shuffled my library, and concluded that Chandra's Spitfire would be quite nice indeed in this deck.
Jacob, I like this deck a lot as it seems streamlined and focused. For those of us who have some fetches lying around does it make sense to add them in place of some mountains? How many? It might be that adding fetchlands make the Searing Blaze more playable.

As for the RDW matchup I wonder how much of the two game results was simply who goes first as opposed to actual cards/matchup. I agree the matchup is not ideal, but it's made worse by going second. If you can kill enough guys to stay alive and have the summons/bushwacker, you can probably pull it out.
On the topic of fetches- If you're running fetches, you should also run Plated Geopede. It's a bit of a no-brainer.

Also, I support the use of Dragon's Claw in the sideboard for the mirror, and it actually works well with manabarbs (Because you're playing cheap, efficient spells, you won't end up taking that much damage from the barbs)

Lastly, I need to stress something about playing any devastating Red deck that Jacob didn't- Do not cast devastating summons, particularly in this virtually creatureless deck, unless you're confident there is no counterspell in your opponent's hand, or you know that you can play a few lands and bounce back from the loss of your lands.

However, Howling mine does actually get rid of some of that weakness, since you'll more reliably get replacement lands, especially if you're not running a set of red fetches, so that's actually a nice bonus to the budget side.
I have been wondering how this deck plays against jund and NLB.  It doesn't seem like it would be very good against jund, but might have a decent chance against NLB. I'm not too sure how this should play against UW control or any jace/gideon deck either, but overall it does have some potential.
For those of us who have some fetches lying around does it make sense to add them in place of some mountains? How many? It might be that adding fetchlands make the Searing Blaze more playable.

I've played with Searing Blaze a little bit, and the problem I found with it is that the landfall very rarely gets triggered on your opponent's turn, which makes it very hard to use the 3-damage option. Fetchlands do let you get around that, but at the price of not using the mana from the fetched land during your own turn. That's a smaller problem in this deck with 15 instants than it would be in most, but I still don't think it's worth it.

The best thing about the deck is, it's definitely budget. If you were building this deck from scratch it would only cost $47.50 for the uncommons and rares (counting Lightning Bolt, since it's more expensive than most of them) on starcitygames.com (that's one of the more expensive sites out there, someone said last week, but the more expensive one is actually better for comparison in a way and I figured I should be consistent). That's less than half the price of last week's deck and literally a tenth the price of the two decks this week's deck beat.

Monocolor decks seem to be great budget decks. A lot of the expensive chase rares these days are either multicolor or mana fixers, like fetchlands. Maybe BoaB should do a cycle of monocolor budget decks. Selfishly, I'd like it because I'm working on a monogreen deck with a mix of token generators and elves, but I'm sure budget mono-white, -blue and -black decks would have potential too.

Seeing as the deck runs a playset of Howling Mine, wouldn't Runeflare Trap be a blast to play with? Also punishes people for not playing spells due to Manabarbs.

Seeing as the deck runs a playset of Howling Mine, wouldn't Runeflare Trap be a blast to play with? Also punishes people for not playing spells due to Manabarbs.

I wouldn't maindeck it because you'd need two Howling Mines out at a time to trigger its trap unless your opponent has card-drawing of his own as well, but yeah, it would go pretty well in the sideboard here.
Not too shabby of an article considering Beastmaster and I agree monocolor is the way to budget. So overall, Red still proves to be a viable and cheap option in Standard.

However, obviously the deck is good against ramp and can beat RDW if it wins the roll. I'll express what I really want to see is against Jund because I think it would be tough. It would be the race of your life to kill them vs. whatever advantage they're packing, and it'll probably be multitudes. They start out slow, but midgame they start exploding after having Leeches and Thrinaxs, start ripping your hand, could benefit from DClaw, have blockers even after EQ, etc. Well, more importantly, the ridiculous advantage come from that you don't have a lot of good things to shoot, and every time you throw up Mine you run the risk of giving them an extra card as they Pulse your Mine away and continue the assault with new resources. StMad could be almost as bothersome as a Baneslayer a turn for this deck.

The new Jund with Lotus, Eldrazi, etc., may not be as worse but it will win the game if it's got a field and casts Monument, if they ramp into StMad (don't remember if they like it) or Siegegang t3, it could be more troublesome. If you don't EQ they can do a nasty bit a damage to an open player.

Anyway, that's the good with the bad. 
I have been wondering how this deck plays against jund and NLB.  It doesn't seem like it would be very good against jund, but might have a decent chance against NLB. I'm not too sure how this should play against UW control or any jace/gideon deck either, but overall it does have some potential.

Im pretty sure Jund is almost an Auto-win for RDW.  From everything I have heard I know jund is one of rdw's best match-ups.
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
Howling Mine + cheap spells? Wow, that's tech that's older than The Dojo...

- Doug

"Collectability is just a code-word for ripping you off." - David Sirlin

I run the non-budget version of RDW (Kargan dragonlord and fetches), and this seems like an interesting take on it.  I would like to do a little more matchup testing with this deck before passing judgment on it, but the howling mines seem pretty bad in the Jund/UW matchups, where pulse and o-ring are rampant.  I like searing blaze a lot in the other RDW and was surprized that is is in this deck's sideboard (6 burn for 2 is pretty good), but it may be worse in this deck.
I run the non-budget version of RDW (Kargan dragonlord and fetches), and this seems like an interesting take on it.  I would like to do a little more matchup testing with this deck before passing judgment on it, but the howling mines seem pretty bad in the Jund/UW matchups, where pulse and o-ring are rampant.  I like searing blaze a lot in the other RDW and was surprized that is is in this deck's sideboard (6 burn for 2 is pretty good), but it may be worse in this deck.

I've found a lot of people misplay when exactly they should cast the mine and thier opponents don't say "thank you, now I'll destroy your mine." quickly enough either. 
ankh of mishra in M11 plz
Anyone think Quest for Pure Flame belongs here? A Manabarbs sitting on the field with a fully charged Quest can really be demoralizing, at least, I'd imagine it could be.
Any thoughts on how to tweak this for post rotation?

I'm just getting back into FNM play and I don't want to buy cards that will rotate out soon.

My initial thoughts:

Replace Howling Mine with Temple Bell

Replace Mana Barbs (bummer) with Reverberate (Reiterate? I don't remember, the new Fork)

Replace Earth Quake with Pyroclasam.

Include Manic Vandal, Combust, and Dragons Claw in side board.

I'll admit the deck looks a lot worse after the rotation, but how does this strike you? 
Sign In to post comments