6/22/2010 LI: "Fear's Fetters"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Pretty good article, and makes some good points, but I feel obliged to point out that the very fact that the opponent didn't make any early plays makes the odds that he has Narcolepsy go way up.  A hand with no early plays and no removal is a reasonable-to-likely mulligan; a hand with no early plays, but with a Narcolepsy and an Ondu Giant, is a much safer hand to keep, since Ondu Giant stops the small beaters and Narcolepsy the big one.
I believe the strongest point in the whole article is that you actually want your opponent to play a narcolepsy on your Wildheart. That means when you get to 8 mana you win the game. Best thing he could do from there is putting another removal spell on your guy.
I was thinking the same thing as The Great Galendo while I was reading the article. 

I got three Nacrolepsy in a draft the other night.  They were very nice in helping me win.  How many have yall got in one draft?  Were they game breakers?
I agree with Drecon84 also.
I don't know if that's been proposed before, but we should start to check if there is any article where Steve Sadin doesn't use the expression "a world of hurt" (or even "being in for a world of hurt") Laughing

Seriously, we should count them. I guess there is not an article in the last months without "a world of hurt". Or, if there is some, there are other ones making up for that, with twice that same expression! Smile

I am going to start some statistics with his archive... I'll let you know, LOL.
As usual, Steve had a good article.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it
I believe the strongest point in the whole article is that you actually want your opponent to play a narcolepsy on your Wildheart. That means when you get to 8 mana you win the game. Best thing he could do from there is putting another removal spell on your guy.

That's pretty much it right there. In the situation described, I would LOVE to have my opponent Narcolepsy my Wildheart Invoker, as that means that any actual answer to its 8-mana ability is now card disadvantage for the opponent.

Of course, I understand that that wasn't quite the point of the article, it's just worth pointing out. 
"But often times, even if you are trying to win in the late game, you will need to put enough pressure on your opponent so that he or she will use his or her cards to less than optimal effect."

^This!

That's pretty much it right there. In the situation described, I would LOVE to have my opponent Narcolepsy my Wildheart Invoker, as that means that any actual answer to its 8-mana ability is now card disadvantage for the opponent.

Yeah, I've had that happen.  My Wildheart Invoker ate both a Narcolepsy and a Flame Slash.  If only I'd had a Boar Umbra on him...
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Nice article. I do have a few issues with it though:

1) The central, take-home message should certainly have been clearer.

2) The cards in the example make pretty obvious that Steve's friend should have chanced it and played the umbra; Narcolepsy leaves the creature on the board, and the invokers' abilities do not require them to tap. If the creature was a Lord of Shatterskull Pass , say, or the threatened removal was Oust, then the whole situation would be different. It's not a great example, for that reason.

3) A minor point (and I'm not sure if I'm right about this) but, given the information we have, I don't think the Lagac lizard was as a particularly bad play. It's not great, true, but it's far from useless. The opponent has a single creature, whereas Steve's friend would have two attackers. The Ondu giant isn't big enough to kill the lizard or survive blocking the invoker. There's no guarantee the opponent will have a second creature either, or that it will have toughness 4 or power 3 (which would make it big enough to survive the lizard or kill the invoker, respectively). And, of course, the more creatures Steve's friend has when he gets to 8 mana the better!

A good article on the whole though, and an interesting read.
Yes, in retrospect, I do agree that Lagac Lizard is not a particularly bad play, because you can attack him the next turn and use your Akoum Boulderfoot to put the last point of damage on his Ondu Giant if he blocks your Lizard.  And if he doesn't block it, the he is in "a world of hurt".
Great article Steve - a 100 times better than last week's.  Sadly, all of the articles seem slightly disappointing to me, because I did my math wrong and though M11 spoilers started this week.

I know that they've revealed a lot of limited fodder already, but hopefully next week you'll have some good old fashioned core-set limited staples.  
Good article with relevant points for newbs, also a nice little "don'tcha think?" exercise for the more experienced [that is, knowing Narcolepsy on Invoker isn't so bad, as his ability is still playable].

It's good for specifying WHAT to be scared of, and whether it makes sense to really fear it. "Removal" isn't a card but a type of cards, and once you examine the types of card-removal that blue has you can address the imagined board post-removal spell and see how it looks. Regress is just a replay and spends 3 of your opps mana for their turn 5/6, and Narcolepsy leaves Invoker's ability around, so it's not as bad as a straight up Terror effect. Play the Umbra, smash face!
The only point I would make is that his friend may have been hoping that the opponent was tutoring for the land so he could play the narcolepsy on the invoker the next turn.  Thus playing the lizard forces pushes the opponent even more in that direction and then you slap down the unbra on whichever creature isn't dozing off.  Regardless the next turn should have seen that umbra come down.