Iron Fist (Battlemind 1)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maybe not exactly an errata, but why the augmentation 1 gives a typed non-variable resistance? I agree that 5+wis resist all is a very high number, but linking it specifically to fire is a bit overkill on the downsize. 

[<()>]Proud Brazilian. Typos are free bonuses. 

My observation is that almost all of the time at least at low levels all of the 1 point augmentations are more limited in their application but work better within that limit. That is working as intended. They probably picked fire because you become metal briefly and are therefore harder to melt.
This at-will unaugmented seems to be pretty strong. Especially compared to Resolute Shield, www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... which only gives resistance against the creature hit. Do you think it will be nerfed down in coming erratas?
This at-will unaugmented seems to be pretty strong. Especially compared to Resolute Shield, www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... which only gives resistance against the creature hit. Do you think it will be nerfed down in coming erratas?

Nah, don't think so. The unaugmented version is amazing, and can arguably be used all the way until level 30... but the augments are pretty much worthless, so the tradeoff is more or less fair. It's better than most at-wills at boosting the PC's resilience, but not to the point of breaking anything, in my opinion.

Also, Resolute Shield is a pretty terrible benchmark, as it's worse than invigorating-like attacks most of the time (that is, whenever you aren't targeting a multiattacking enemy and, depending on your defenses, even if you do). If we do compare Iron Fist against an invigorating power, it comes off ahead because it works on a miss, but it isn't an overwhelming advantage. Other things being equal, resistance against all attacks for a turn compared to an equal amount of temporary hit points usually favors the resist when you expect to be damaged 1+ times per turn, and the THP when the average is less (because of the chance of keeping the THP for next turn).   
My blog about 4e rules and news: Square Fireballs The Magic Item Reset: A standalone set of items for 4E
Other things being equal, resistance against all attacks for a turn compared to an equal amount of temporary hit points usually favors the resist when you expect to be damaged 1+ times per turn, and the THP when the average is less (because of the chance of keeping the THP for next turn).

These other at-wills grant their extra (like THP) on a hit only, not as an effect just for trying to hit. Resist all as an effect UEONT on an at-will attack is pretty tough. Request it to be moved to the Hit line. While the augmented effects suck, that's what the other at-wills are for, not?