D&D iPhone/iPod/iPad apps

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've read some reviews, and I know there are people here that use digital resources like masterplan, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually used any of the iPxxx applications.

Thanks in advance! 
I use i4e for all my characters, and I love it. It makes people at the table jealous. In my opinion, it beats the pants off the character builder sheets.

The only drawback is that you have to enter all the information manually. You can import character builder data, which will set all your figures correctly, but you'll still have to type in power descriptions yourself. 

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

iplay4e is a website designed to work with the iphone.  The interface is decent, and I believe the iPad will be able to use the larger character pages that you can view on a computer.  The best part is that it uses your character builder file and links to the compendium, so you'll need your DDI login info to view the rules text, but it's not necessary to manage your character.  It's not an app, it's entirely web-based, but I don't think that's a bad thing.  I use it on my laptop during my game, and my some of the other players in my group view from their iPhones. You will need a google account to upload your characters and be able to manage them online.
I use i4e for all my characters, and I love it. It makes people at the table jealous. In my opinion, it beats the pants off the character builder sheets.

The only drawback is that you have to enter all the information manually. You can import character builder data, which will set all your figures correctly, but you'll still have to type in power descriptions yourself. 

well not all of it. It will copy anything that you could clipboard from the builder to here.

With the update they made recently if your logged into DDI it will bring up the Power from DDi so you can write in.  This way you don't have to flip back and forth
Thanks.  I appreciate the input.  I did connect my google account with iplay4e a while back; I'll have to try that one out.  Since it's free I'll give that one a shot first.  I've seen the i4e app in the store.  I'll have to check it out, but the $5 price threw me off.  Most of my apps are the free kind, but no such luck for D&D with the exception of the Compendium app.

Of course both of those need characters made with the CB, so I guess I'll have to reactivate my DDi before I start playing again. 
Well, actually no.
I just wanted to say that while i4e is indeed best wehn combined with a .dnd4e file
you dont need it. If you are sure you won't make the wrong calculations, you could take it
step by step with i4e, or should I say "tab by tab" :P and have a working character by
inputing everything yourself. The other solution is to simply create a new character
in the app (just the name actually) and import it using the i4e website. There you can
use the filling forms to type in everything you need by copying from books. Still no CB
required. The basic principle with the 2.0 import site is that you create your .dnd4e file,
upload to the site, edit it and then import it to your iPhone. You can skip those parts
doing what I said earlier.

Just wanted to clarify that.
And , yes you guessed it, I am a more than satisfied user of i4e. It's amazing, even more so
than iplay4e.com because of the freedom you have. Do you have for some reason +5000
to a skill or attack roll? You can make it be so. iplay4e uses what's in the .dnd4e file and that's it.

Another, real example is this: 3 days before PHB3 was published I reached level 10 and needed a new
feat. From the previews, I had found one that I wanted. I simply typed it in, in i4e and that was the end
of it. Had I been using iplay4e or simply relying on the CB I would have to wait about 2 weeks to
officialy get my new feat. ^^

And yes, I realize I have blatantly advertised i4e so I'll shut up now...
I just wanted to underline that you do NOT need the character builder to use i4e. I am not, and never have been, a DDI subscriber, and I loathe the character builder, but I manually input characters into i4e all the time. In fact, sometimes when I'm bored, I just make a character on that app. I enjoy knowing that, if I spontaneously need to join a 4e game, I've got my dozen or so characters already made and ready to go.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

for a counterpoint, I should point out that I use the CB, output a PDF and then simply use iAnnotatePDF to  mark it up during play. Of course, I also play Supernatural, 3.5 and Star Wars Saga, so a 4e-only system is of less use to me.

Still, the simplicity is hard to beat, given you have a CB account already.
I'm a fan of CompendiumHelper for looking stuff up on the fly. I've also used iPlay4e in game and found it quite good, even on an iphone. I ahve a copy of dicenomicon, but I've not used it much at all.
Wow great response.  I really do thank everyone for their input.

I got from reading the i4e app you could add or change things, but I didn't realize you could make a PC from scratch with it.  That might just push me over the top.  I don't think I would regret a 5 dollar app, but I might feel bad if I paid 5 dollars for an app that is useless without the DDi subscription fee on top of it.

Also I do like the idea of using a PDF viewer for the character sheet.  I personally use the app 'Files' to view PDF documents.  I like how I can interface with my iPhone via a web browser to upload all sorts of files to it.  I'll have to look into iAnnotatePDF though, because the Files app does leave a bit to be desired when reading PDFs.  I know some apps are built to recognize letters and better display PDF files on the smaller iPhone/iPod screens. 
I have compendium helper and i4e for my ipod touch, I use the compendium helper all the time, but I never got into i4e. The requirement to manually enter all power descriptions makes it harder to use than compendium printouts.

I did just get a HTC EVO running droid 2.1, does anyone know of any good droid apps for 4e?
Howdy!

I wrote an app DM Tool for iPhone (originally for my own user but people asked me to submit it) and plan to update it a bit.  I use it mostly to prepare before a session all the monsters/encounters and have a list of various quest points and Items I plan to give the party, as well as keeping track of monster HP in encounters.  Most of the effort went into the UI like being able to easily apply the same damage to multiple monsters for burst, drag reordering of initiative order, easily seeing monster defenses and keeping track of effects.

Anyway, I posted in another thread but didn't get a reply so I was wondering if you need permission from wizards to allow users to login to the compendium to display content (like the compendium helper app).  Also, as there are free downloadable pdfs on the wizards site for beginners would it be ok to include the stats for those monsters as default data in the app.  At the moment it looks pretty bare before you start adding them yourself

Its on the app store now and I have about 5 review codes to give to people if anyone wants to review it or give feedback (email paul_@_score-studios.jp) removing the two "_"s

Heres a link to the iTunes Store

Also some screenshots...

Initiative tracker  Notes View
Does i4e roll (and add up) dice for you too? 

If so, does it take into account the complicated 4e math?  For example, does it reroll 1s if you have a brutal weapon, roll two dice and take the higher if you have an avenger or danger sense, calculate crit dice, adjust damage for weakened or insubstantial creatures, etc.?  If not, does anyone know of an app that does?  (I'm sure my group is tired of sitting there watching me add up all my dice on my calculator...  Tongue out)

Lori Anderson

WotC Freelancer, LFR author

@LittleLorika

Dragon Magazine #412: Unearthed Arcana: Ships in Your Campaign

Calimshan Adventures (LFR): CALI3-3, CALI4-1, and QUES4-1

Epic Adventures (LFR): EPIC5-1 and EPIC5-3

Other LFR Adventures: NETH4-1, ADCP5-2, and MYTH6-3

Hello, 

Just wanted to drop in and clear up some things on i4e.

i4e works great without DDI as you can create a character in the app and then save it back to the import site for easier editing, or you can just edit it all on the device. With the update to iOS4 you can now use bluetooth keyboards with iPhones/iPads so that makes it a bit less painful as well.

i4e doesn't as of yet roll any dice for you but it does calculate critical damage and give exact damage for powers based on weapons used with them. I'm looking at additional ways to improve this and they should be coming soon.

If any of you have any questions about i4e or how its working or not working please contact me at i4e_bugz@cordax.net and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Mike 
I've been using CompendiumHelper for a while, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore and the app seems to have been removed from the app store...

Anybody is experiencing the same issue? Have you been able to fix this? Any alternative to use the Compendium on an iPhone/iPod Touch (Safari keeps opening the entry windows outside the screen)?
I have an iPad compendium app I've been working on that I should be able to finish up as soon as I finish the iPad updates for i4e. Are you using an iPod or iPad?

Mike 
For dice, I like to use Dicenomicon Lite. It actually feels like a dice roller. Of course, there's less physical ones for free, so whatever's in your budget.
I'm on iPod Touch 2nd gen. I'm looking for an easy way to consult the Compendium when I'm away from my desktop computer.
Ok, I'll see if I can't get a version for iPod/iPhone out as well. It will probably be a few weeks though.

Mike 
I've got both MachDice and Dicenomicon - I like Mach better for general purposes (shaking the phone to roll is nice, plus Dicenomicon is a bit too system intensive for a 3G), but Dicenomicon's customization is helpful (or would be, if I could figure out the blasted syntax).
Mike,

I run your I4e program and I love it! If you also made a Compendium App, or add on too i4e that would be very awesome.

Looking forward too the Ipad versions of both those apps as well. 
I've read some reviews, and I know there are people here that use digital resources like masterplan, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually used any of the iPxxx applications.

Thanks in advance! 

Be sure to try out these apps:

PFR (Pathfinder Reference Document)
Price: $4.99
itunes.com/apps/pfr

d20 Rules (Core, divine, psionic, epic and variant rules)
Price: $0.99
itunes.com/apps/d20

d20 Modern (Modern, future, arcana and menaces)
Price: $0.99
itunes.com/apps/d20modern

All three apps run nicely on the iPhone, but really shine on the iPad :-)
OK, so I got the i4e, and I'm not so into it.  It doesn't play nice with my iPad, and really although uploading the file from the character builder is nice I like using a pdf displayed on the iPad better the the i4e app.

I also downloaded the DM helper app, but really for me the free initiative iPad app does what I need.  For everything else I still like scrap paper.

Just thought I'd chime back in now that I used the apps a bit. 
The Compendium Helper was by far my favorite application for iPhone PERIOD. It stopped working (I am assuming due to WOTC blocking content), but I had been trying to reinstall... Now it's gone from the store. I am crushed. The Compendium Helper was the only thing that made by DDI subscription worth the money. I don't understand this at all from WOTC. I paid for the content and now I can't even use it. If they want to build their own branded app that functioned the same way that would be cool, but they don't even seem to have any interest in building their own apps (which is also inexplicable if they are trying to have any tech cred). This is ridiculous. The web based Compendium is clunky and hardly usable on a PC let alone on my iPhone. The Compendium Helper was a FREE app! Just pay the guy a couple bucks and brand it as your own WOTC! Come on.
OK, so I got the i4e, and I'm not so into it.  It doesn't play nice with my iPad, and really although uploading the file from the character builder is nice I like using a pdf displayed on the iPad better the the i4e app.

I also downloaded the DM helper app, but really for me the free initiative iPad app does what I need.  For everything else I still like scrap paper.

Just thought I'd chime back in now that I used the apps a bit. 

I'm working on an iPad native version of i4e now. I'm hoping to get it submitted shortly but its requiring a lot of changes throughout the app You can find screenshots of it at http://cordax.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54&start=30.

Mike 
The Compendium Helper was by far my favorite application for iPhone PERIOD. It stopped working (I am assuming due to WOTC blocking content), but I had been trying to reinstall... Now it's gone from the store. I am crushed. The Compendium Helper was the only thing that made by DDI subscription worth the money. I don't understand this at all from WOTC. I paid for the content and now I can't even use it. If they want to build their own branded app that functioned the same way that would be cool, but they don't even seem to have any interest in building their own apps (which is also inexplicable if they are trying to have any tech cred). This is ridiculous. The web based Compendium is clunky and hardly usable on a PC let alone on my iPhone. The Compendium Helper was a FREE app! Just pay the guy a couple bucks and brand it as your own WOTC! Come on.

I have a compendium app that is almost completed but I need to finish the iPad update for i4e first. It was a bit tricky getting the app to work with DDI with regards to authentication but my app still works. It was going to be iPad only but with the removal of the iPhone app I'll probably make it run on both.

Mike 
That will be cool if you can get it to work. Maybe the Compendium Helper developer just couldn't figure out the authentication workaround. Previously, that app was perfect - sleek & fast. Which was impressive because the Compendium itself? Not so much.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/battle-map/id384...

www.148apps.com/news/idd-battlemap/

This just got released recently. I only got iPhone 4 so smaller screen but definitely wanna check it out.

Saw that yesterday - kinda pricey, but looks very cool.
Dungeoneer is out for iPad, imports CB files and pulls all the info from the site, also does die rolls. Cool but needs more work, no crit support on the rolls.

itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dungeoneer/id379...

It's a shame that Compendium Helper has been broken for like 2 months. I haven't been able to get anything except an error message. Same for my friend who uses it. The Compendium website isn't very iPhone friendly
i4e got an iPad update today, wow what a sexy beast. This is just a raw import, I haven't filled in all the details yet. The way he's done the powers is very cool, click on it and a power card pops up. Once it's used it can be greyed out of just disappear off the list.

ipad_i4e.PNG
The iPad-version of i4e is awesome. You can edit everything as you want and you have everything at this one sheet. 
Its fun to play with!!! 
My DDI Compendium app was just released on iPad, You can find it here, for now its a free app.

Just does basic searches right now but it will most likely improve over time. 
My DDI Compendium app was just released on iPad, You can find it here, for now its a free app.

Just does basic searches right now but it will most likely improve over time. 

I have this app and I really can't use it yet.  It doesn't recognize anything other than the title of the power, feat, weapon etc so unless you know part of the name it won't know where to go.  So I couldn't say... do a search for level 9 fighter powers.   I would at least like to be able to choose a category and browse through that category.
Theres an update in right now that allows for searching outside of just the titles. It also adds iPhone support. There are plans for a pro version to be done in the next few months that will have much more powerful filtering than the free app.
Theres an update in right now that allows for searching outside of just the titles. It also adds iPhone support. There are plans for a pro version to be done in the next few months that will have much more powerful filtering than the free app.

Did the compendium get removed?  I do not see it on iTunes anymore.
No, its still there.

itunes.apple.com/us/app/compendium/id398...

Can find more info at cordax.net/compendium

Mike 
And I just got the email saying that the update just went live so it should be pushed out to iTunes over the next few hours. Adds support for iPhone and the ability to search outside of the title.

Mike 
i4e got an iPad update today, wow what a sexy beast. This is just a raw import, I haven't filled in all the details yet. The way he's done the powers is very cool, click on it and a power card pops up. Once it's used it can be greyed out of just disappear off the list.

I know this is an old post but I have recently saw this in use on a friends iPad and was in awe over what I saw.

I only had 1 gripe in that it had no dice roller.

Having said that, we both said at the same time that the space in the upper right hand corner that is presently empty (above the 'Skills' wording) would be an EXCELLENT place to have a dice roller inserted. At present he's using his iPhone 4 to roll dice using the Mach dice app ... but ... were there a dice app in the presented place, I'm sure you'd see him (and me when my iPad arrives for my birthday ... fingers crossed ...) using this instead.

Just a suggestion I hope you see
GMT +10 (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ....)
The absence of a dice roller has actually be a conscious decision on my part. The problem is people don't believe digital dice. If you rolled 3d20 and got 1's on all 3 you'd call BS. Yet I've done this with real dice. They're just harder to argue with. 

The intent of i4e though has always been to just replace the character sheet. I like dice and honestly wouldn't want to play without them. I understand this is a personal decision but it has basically made it so that its a very low priority to add it. Also theres nothing wrong with some negative space in an application .

There has been some talk about possibly adding a character portrait there though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike 
Sign In to post comments