Encounter 1-3 idea

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Spider Cactus
Hazard
Level 3 Obstacle

Published in Dragon Magazine 364.

www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/tr...

My wife and I were interested in increasing the feel of deadliness in the deserts of Athas; so we decided that a minor change to Encounter 1-3 could do the trick. Rather than using the the exact spread of dangers in the encounter, we are going to remove a small portion of them & strategicly place 2-3 of these guys in the area.

We believe that doing this will help add to the flavor of the desert w/o the encounter feeling like NPCs are the only real worries in this environment.

What are your thought on this idea?

Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
Looks cool. I say go for it if you think it will add to the adventure. 

opinions on Encounter 1-3

I think 1-3 is really a roleplaying encounter, though. Engaging the goblins is folly for any group that wants to survive; the goblins have such good position and mobility, they are trouble to engage. Plus, they are only there to gather supplies. Taking down a few through force would probably convince them that the PCs aren't easy marks. Then the negotiation should commence. 

But, as i've said repeatedly, do what you think makes the game most interesting and fun!

Hey Nick
Show
what about the obisdian +1 acid spear and the necklace would you see the goblins trading them for survival days? If not how would you introduce them?
Looks cool. I say go for it if you think it will add to the adventure. 

opinions on Encounter 1-3

I think 1-3 is really a roleplaying encounter, though. Engaging the goblins is folly for any group that wants to survive; the goblins have such good position and mobility, they are trouble to engage. Plus, they are only there to gather supplies. Taking down a few through force would probably convince them that the PCs aren't easy marks. Then the negotiation should commence. 

But, as i've said repeatedly, do what you think makes the game most interesting and fun!

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I like that idea!
Show

Just one problem I've been having...

... why the hell shouldn't the PC's just run?  The gobs are up on the rock.  The gliders are easy to deal with if thats all that is around.  I mean,  running behind a boulder is what I'd do, or just taking off.

Ok here is what Im looking to as how the enc may play out after reading all of your post.
[spoiler]
1. The Players may decide to fight (or fight untill they decide running or negotiation is better) If this happens I play it out as written. If they defeat the goblins they get the loot from the goblins.

The Players decide to negotiate the Goblins will settle for half of the players survival days and let them go...but a small greedy group of goblins "head em off at the pass" the band consists of one cursespewer (with only 34hp) four goblin cutters and one goblin archer,without the flight ability. The Goblins attack the party on one of the map sections or on a map made up from the tile set  Desert's of Athas. The goblins have the Amulet, Spear and 3 survival days.

3. The players decide to run away. In which case they lose most of the Goblins and get on more neutral ground where they encounter the "Greedy Goblin" band as described above.

4. The players pull something I had no idea could happen and I wing it trying to get the rewards of the encounter to the group while taking half of their survival day if I think its appropriate.

I know the Greedy Goblin band is less than encounter level one but its a "reward" for not fighting the goblins on grounds of thier choosing.

Using the info in my post immediatly above here is how Im planning on introducing session 1-3.
Show

Session 1-3 Bush and Ambush

You spend the rest of the afternoon and early evening trying to evade the shard storm and Ssuarrn war parties your nemisis the kes’trekal  is still flying high over head tracking your movements.  Your rapid movement during the hottest part of the day is draining the vitality from you just as arrows and sword blows would.  At this time do the Desert setback event Extreme Heat(Endurance DC 10) from page 12. Afterwards read on.

Moving through the waste it seems even more important than ever that you use your wits as well as your brawn to navigate it.  Time for the weekly skill challenge one skill check per player and no assistance. Try and role play it more with players selling me skills not normally included.

As Twilight falls you seem to have finally lost the shard storm, the lizard folk and that cursed bird. You come upon a palm like tree covered in thorns from hair thickness to six inches long but you also see bright red fruit of a type sold in city markets, sweet tangy and full of juice. As your party has just gotten the fruits out of the wall of needles a rope drops over your fruits and it is yanked from your hands… Around you are a tribe of small green-skinned creatures emerges from atop the badlands heights. They wear bone armor arranged to make them appear as skeletons.  These trappings seem more ceremonial than practical.  Two of the creatures have odd fins attached to their backs and legs. The shadow of a small drake that appearantly dropped the lasso on your fruit flits away toward one of the groups.  One of the humanoids shouts.   “This our place, you no take our fruit. What you pay us to forgive your trespass theives?”  

Describe the goblins posistons as being on 20’ high mesas covered with thorny bramble weeds. If required roll initiative.  If the players negotiate away half of the survival days they have or run have a smaller group of goblins head them off on a more neutral map and roll initiative and fight. Either way after the results read the following.

After a quick break to bind up injuries and distribute the new loot you hear the cry of the Kes’trekel from the darkness perhaps you will not get the sleep you desired yet.

Show
Since my party will probably try to negotiate with the goblins, I'm thinking of throwing a reskinned young brown dragon at the lot of them.  Most of it's powers seem to fit very well with the desert environment. Would be a good way to solidify the loose alliance the two groups have formed. My only concern is the dragon's defenses as written. I may drop those by a point or two.  
Show
Since my party will probably try to negotiate with the goblins, I'm thinking of throwing a reskinned young brown dragon at the lot of them.  Most of it's powers seem to fit very well with the desert environment. Would be a good way to solidify the loose alliance the two groups have formed. My only concern is the dragon's defenses as written. I may drop those by a point or two.  

Show

Not sure about 4E, but older Dark Sun didn't have dragons if i recall correctly. But you should do what you think your players will enjoy.

Answering Kedrith's question

Yeah, i think that would be cool. "We'll trade you these useless shiny bits for some of that delicious kank meat."

Also, i think your structure for dealing with running and negotiating is good. I wish i would have had room to expand upon those scenarios.

Show

Not sure about 4E, but older Dark Sun didn't have dragons if i recall correctly. But you should do what you think your players will enjoy.

It's not very clear, but my intention would be to reskin the monster in question to fit the proper theme of the world.
Sign In to post comments