Can I add my implement's enhancement bonus to the damage dealt by starting next to a flaming sphere?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
It says it deals 1d4 + intelligence modifier.  Does that mean i can add the enhancement bonus from my Rod of Ruin?  Can i add the bonus damage from the Rod of Ruin property?  What about my Staff Weapon Focus? (Its strange that there is no weapon focus feats for other implements... but the character builder lets me get away with it, anyway...)
It says it deals 1d4 + intelligence modifier.  Does that mean i can add the enhancement bonus from my Rod of Ruin?  Can i add the bonus damage from the Rod of Ruin property?  What about my Staff Weapon Focus? (Its strange that there is no weapon focus feats for other implements... but the character builder lets me get away with it, anyway...)

No.  The damage isnt coming from you, its coming from a sphere of fire you conjured.  Typically if the damage isnt emanating from you, you dont get implement bonuses.

Yes, you add your enhancement bonus from your implement, the item bonus from your Rod of Ruin, and the feat bonus from Weapon Focus.

The power has the Implement keyword, so if there's a damage roll in the power, it comes from your implement.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources

Yes. Uniequivacolly, yes. If a power has a damage roll and the Implement keyword, you add all your modifiers. Period. Secondary damage roll? Modifiers. Damage roll happens next turn? Modifiers. Auto damage roll? Modifiers. And Weapon Focus applies so long as you attack with that weapon, and casting through an Implement is attacking with, Weapon Focus is supposed to work.

There are, very, few racial paragon path powers that do not have the Implement or Weapon keywords, and those are the only exception to this rule.

Yes. Uniequivacolly, yes. If a power has a damage roll and the Implement keyword, you add all your modifiers. Period. Secondary damage roll? Modifiers. Damage roll happens next turn? Modifiers. Auto damage roll? Modifiers. And Weapon Focus applies so long as you attack with that weapon, and casting through an Implement is attacking with, Weapon Focus is supposed to work.

There are, very, few racial paragon path powers that do not have the Implement or Weapon keywords, and those are the only exception to this rule.

State your source and page # for this
Character builder doesnt apply any of this to the power cards, so I'm skeptical

PHB2 FAQ. Note this is only a clarification, that has always been the RAW. The CB is not a rules reference.

5. With a power like Explosive Pyre do I add my implement bonus to extra damage rolled when and enemy enters a square  adjacent to the target?

Yes, each time you for roll damage with an implement power you add  your enhancement bonus.

Character builder shows the damage bonus from staff of ruin on Flaming Sphere. Both in the powers chooser screen, and again on the power card on the character sheet. Same effect when I equip the staff in Main, off-hand, or in both hands...

"Oh bother." sighed Pooh as he chambered another round.

PHB2 FAQ. Note this is only a clarification, that has always been the RAW. The CB is not a rules reference.

Sorry you'll have to provide a link, the Errata is poorly laid out and hard to search thru.

Character builder shows the damage bonus from staff of ruin on Flaming Sphere. Both in the powers chooser screen, and again on the power card on the character sheet. Same effect when I equip the staff in Main, off-hand, or in both hands...

It alters the main attack from Flaming Sphere but it sure doesnt adjust/change the proximity damage.  Sorry Ima have to call shenanigans, screenshot or it didnt happen.

Sorry you'll have to provide a link, the Errata is poorly laid out and hard to search thru.

So you're incapable of copy/pasting and doing a google search? The FAQ is literally the first hit if you c/p the question. For instance

lmgtfy.com/?q=5.+With+a+power+like+Explo...

This is a beautifully worded answer.  =)

No.  The damage isnt coming from you, its coming from a sphere of fire you conjured.  Typically if the damage isnt emanating from you, you dont get implement bonuses.

Well damn.  Looks like shamans don't get to advance past, like, level one then.
There's also the basic Implement definition.
If you can wield a magic implement, you can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of implement powers you use through it.

Flaming Sphere has the implement keyword, you're making a damage roll with that power, therefore, you add your enhancement bonus. In contrast, if Flaming Sphere did not involve a damage roll, you would not.

Also, you are still the one attacking with Flaming Sphere. The fact that it's a conjuration doesn't matter. If you were to repeat its main attack as a standard action you would also still provoke an OA from enemies adjacent to you because you would be using a Ranged power.
A damage roll with a power that has the Implement keyword is a damage roll with a power that has the Implement keyword. There's nothing in the rules that says that it matters when the damage roll is rolled. As long as there is a damage roll to be rolled, implement bonuses apply to it.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
A damage roll with a power that has the Implement keyword is a damage roll with a power that has the Implement keyword. There's nothing in the rules that says that it matters when the damage roll is rolled. As long as there is a damage roll to be rolled, implement bonuses apply to it.

Just to reiterate in case there is still uncertainty: this is the correct answer.  for further proof, check out the conjuration keyword:

Attacking with a Conjuration: Normally, a conjuration cannot attack. If your conjuration can attack, you make the attack. You determine line of sight normally, but you determine line of effect from the conjuration, as if you were in its space.

So the attack is still coming from you, although you can determine LoE from the conjuration.  implement bonuses apply to attack and damage rolls you make, so there you are.

Note that this is *also* the case for summons, as long as the summoning power has the implement keyword:

If a summoning power allows the summoned creature to attack, you make an attack through the creature, as specified in the power description. If the summoned creature can make a skill check or an ability check, you make the check. Attacks and checks you make through the creature do not include temporary bonuses or penalties to your statistics.

It alters the main attack from Flaming Sphere but it sure doesnt adjust/change the proximity damage.  Sorry Ima have to call shenanigans, screenshot or it didnt happen.

Your right, CB doesn't show the proximity damage, I was only looking at the main attack.

But using your logic since the CB and its power cards don't have a breakdown of the proximity damage laid out on the bottom, I guess the damage doesn't happen either...

gwydion9 and others above have provided the correct answers. There's not much else that need be said.
"Oh bother." sighed Pooh as he chambered another round.

Your right, CB doesn't show the proximity damage, I was only looking at the main attack.

But using your logic since the CB and its power cards don't have a breakdown of the proximity damage laid out on the bottom, I guess the damage doesn't happen either...

gwydion9 and others above have provided the correct answers. There's not much else that need be said.

The CB doesn't do the math for any secondary damage rolls, not even the off-hand attack for Twin Strike. The CB is an official rules source for written rules, but not rules implementation.
You do NOT get to add weapon focus damage to spell attacks fools!  The feat clearly states that you can add weapon focus damage to "weapon attacks", as in weapon keyword attacks, pretty clearly stated; HOWEVER, your spells are IMPLEMENT attacks.  Sorry cheaters, but there are no weapon or implement focus feats for spells.
You do NOT get to add weapon focus damage to spell attacks fools!  The feat clearly states that you can add weapon focus damage to "weapon attacks", as in weapon keyword attacks, pretty clearly stated; HOWEVER, your spells are IMPLEMENT attacks.  Sorry cheaters, but there are no weapon or implement focus feats for spells.

You do realise this is a 3-year-old thread, right?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Not only did he necro a 3 year old thread, but he's also wrong.

In the original PHB, Weapon Focus DID apply to all weapon and all implement attacks with that weapon, which is what made weapiments the gold standard. So at the time this thread occurred, all of the discussion about Weapon Focus applying is 100% accurate.

When HoFL and HoFK came out, Weapon Focus was changed so that Weapon Focus was restricted to Weapon Attacks, and a new Implement Focus feat was added in the same books.
 So despite spillness's superiority complex, there is Implement Focus for spells.

The feat says that now. Three years ago, when this thread was created before you dug it up to make a poor first post (necroing threads is bad in most every forum on the internet, by the way) it didn't. It was changed, officially changed by the development team, about two years ago. See how that timeline works? Yes? Excellent.

There actually is an "Implement Focus" feat now, as well. The really curious thing is that the wording that makes Weapon Focus not worth with Implement attacks made through a Weapliment exists in the book that also added the Implement Focus feat, which you claim doesn't exist. That is truly odd, because in order to be right about the one thing, you needed access to the same thing that would tell you were wrong about the other. Which is a stunning combination of informed ignorance.
Yes. Uniequivacolly, yes. If a power has a damage roll and the Implement keyword, you add all your modifiers that apply to damage rolls. Period. Secondary damage roll? Modifiers. Damage roll happens next turn? Modifiers. Auto damage roll? Modifiers. And Weapon Focus applies so long as you attack with that weapon, and casting through an Implement is attacking with, Weapon Focus is supposed to work.

Necro, as well, but had to fyp.
To avoid that people add Promise of Storm and the likes to damage rolls.