6/18/2010 TWTW: "Pop Quiz with Trick Questions"

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Personally i'm really excited about this new format. I play a bunch of standard, but never have i ventured to extended because A) i like to engineer my own decks and the card pool was just kinda too big for that and B) the competitive decks were just frankly TOO good for any home brews to really make it. 
I think that this change will be a good fix for both of those problems and i'll probably play some extended now.

This is good. 
Honestly?

I like it.

Way to go wizards...I guess I can actually use my Elspeths for something when the next Duel Deck comes out.

^_^
So people don't run Extended tournaments when Wizards isn't supporting them...  Perhaps not, but would people run Standard events either, if they weren't supported through FNM, PTQs, and the like?  It seems like there's not really a control group, here.  Will FNMs be able to use the new Extended?
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Isn't evenyone just going to play Faeries in this format? Seems like the obvious best deck?
Quote from Erik Lauer : "In seven-year Extended there is a lot to catch up on. This way it is really only a year of catch-up if you think about it."

I've been playing online for about a year now, and I managed to do this (the seven year catchup) just fine. Apparently, I have more brainpower than everyone else? (I don't think so) So we lower the standards? Think of it as school... STD being "high school", EXT being "junior college", and Classic being "university". We have people that aren't going to junior college because they "just can't catch up" or are "intimidated by the workload", so we make junior college more like high school? This seems counter-intuitive.

Also, I built my decks to work in the current Ext, which I assumed was only going to lose Mirrodin block in Oct. And I spent considerable time & effort & MONEY to make my (current) Extended decks. Which are now going to be worthless in (future) Extended OR Classic. 

Thirdly, I migrated to Extended to GET AWAY from the choobs, noobs, and boobs that seem to make up a significant portion of the Standard population. (No, not you! The other guy!Laughing) And now those same folks are going to be in the "new, improved, easier" Extended, and I'm going to have to migrate over to Classic, and spend MORE time, energy, & money learning an even BIGGER card pool. 

I feel like Wizards is spitting in my face to reward my time, energy, and spending. "Thanks for your money. Bend over."

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

The problem with Extended is that it's not a FNM format, and if it continues not to be, it will still be unplayed outside of qualifying season.

Wait, did Wizards just say they're hoping this format kills Legacy?

"The long term plan is to make the new Extended format more popular than  the current Extended. What I would like to see is this format become  more widely played than Legacy."

I have no designs on playing new Extended, I didn't play old Extended either, but will continue playing Legacy, Standard (wouldn't play that except it's all most people play, blah), and Limited.
The end is always nigh.
This is grankly baffeling. Paper players who already supported extended and wotc just got kicked in the teeth.

AND HAHAHAHAAHAH @ it being more played than legacy.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.

"The long term plan is to make the new Extended format more popular than  the current Extended. What I would like to see is this format become  more widely played than Legacy."

Pretty much. Since their hands are tied with the reserve list, I guess their answer to the shortage of duals is to try and kill Legacy. And why not force extended players to buy newer cards while they're at it? Makes perfect sense.

I realized Extended was a fool's game back when they rotated Ice Age.

I wonder if players would be happier if they had kept 7 year Extended and morphed Standard into this new Extended instead?
Online is where this impacts me the most. I pretty much only play extended online now I'm going to have to play classic where you never really know if you're going to be facing that powerhouse deck or just another casual player like yourself. While about 70+% of my extended matches are enjoyable only about 20% of my classic matches are because I didn't want to go and get the cards needed to make a decent deck in that format. Now I will because I'm certainly not going to move to the new extended or standard which is just as expensive as classic these days with everything rotating quicker.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I had seen the statement that people "only play Extended when they have to" from someone else in another forum, so I'm going to have to accept that Erik Lauer is right.

And "Double Standard", which is presumably what Extended has now become, with four years' worth of cards in it, or a Standard that is extended to three years instead of two, probably will be an exciting and interesting format to play.

However, my first reaction on seeing the DCI Banned and Restricted List announcement, which noted the changes to Extended, was to scream. Because I think there is one serious problem with this change, which means that a lot of players are going to become upset by it.

Now, when Magic: 2011 comes out, not only will people's copies of Chrome Mox rotate out of Extended a few months early, their copies of Umezawa's Jitte will join them. And then, when Scars of Mirrodin comes out in the fall, their copies of Tarmogoyf are going to rotate out of Extended.

Just recently, Wizards reinforced their Reprint Policy in order (at least in my opinion, and, of course, my guess as to the motives may be mistaken) to reassure people that, despite what appears to be an upswelling of popular demand, the original dual lands which appeared in the sets from Alpha to Revised would not be reprinted.

Causing the values of a lot of cards to drop precipitously, then, is not a good idea.

Worse yet, it might be recalled that people who were mad because
  • they couldn't get copies of the P9 and the original duals, but

• the good cards they did have, such as the elder dragon legends, just got reprinted in Chronicles

were, of course, what led to the adoption of the Reprint Policy in the first place.

Now, it's Chrome Mox, Umezawa's Jitte, and Tarmogoyf that have... received unfortunate treatment.

One way of dealing with the previous situation, where the rotation of Chrome Mox out of Extended was impending in October... which this announcement has considerably exacerbated... might be to add a new format; an eternal format starting at Mercadian Masques. A Legacy for the rest of us, as it were, for those who don't have the really old cards (basically the original duals, but also including The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale).

However, a format won't do any good if it's something that people don't want to play; this format would presumably play a lot like Extended back when it ran from Invasion block to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block, and if nobody likes Extended, it might not be worth having. (There's also a perceived issue that without Force of Will, it would be unbalanced, having too many combos.)

So I can't confidently tell you that a Masques-forward eternal format is what we need. It still seems to me that it is the best option, given that reprints of the original duals are something we can't have (and they aren't something I favor in any case; I don't support a zero-sum situation where the values of one group of people's cards are trashed to defend the values of another group of people's cards).

But something does need to be done, because I am sure that there are going to be a lot of people who are outraged and furious at this announcement, and many of them will be upset enough to ragequit.

Of course, ever since it was decided to remove the P9 from Revised, some players leaving Magic in this way has been something that Wizards has always had to live with - and there is the old fable about a man and his son travelling along with a donkey and encountering problems trying to satisfy all the passers-by who commented on their travel arrangements. I know you can't satisfy everyone, and it's not worth trying to do that. But I think a second look at how you can satisfy a few more people is still warranted.

No.

Standard is more widely played than Legacy. That doesn't mean that Legacy is dead.

If Extended were healthy, it would be played by, say, half or a third as many people as play Standard. Without any drop whatever in the number of people playing Legacy, therefore, it is reasonable to expect that Extended would not only be more popular, but hugely more popular, than Legacy. The fact that it isn't does mean something isn't right with the format.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

haha, obviously Scapeshift isn't going to dominate. This format has no dual lands! And living end loses to the Fae pretty terribly. This format is going to be Bant vs Fae vs something else (mono red?). Seems like they took a format with a good range of diversity and decks and castrated it.

Ten bucks says PV wins PT Amsterdam.
Wow, never thought I'd comment on (or even look at) an article in the "sports column".  But I absolutely had to show up and say how very annoyed I am at the change to Extended.  If tourney rats wanted a format slightly larger than Standard, they should have created a new one instead of altering Extended and leaving lovers of seven-block formats in the lurch.  Call the new thing "Advanced" or something, and have all the Extended tourneys become that instead.  But what this gives us is a format that includes 2 blocks, one that includes 4 blocks, one that includes more than 10 blocks, and two that include all 17 that exist.  Am I the only one who sees a slight lack of balance here?  Seven-year Extended was perfect; it let decks exist which were not quite as crazy as Classic and nowhere near the insanity of Legacy, but still actually had a reasonably huge card pool from which to draw.  With the move to small sets, Extended will soon consist of like fifteen hundred cards, if that.  This is not enough to make a terribly interesting format; you might as well just play Standard if you're going to limit yourself this much.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Wohoo, awesome! Wizards will make more money out of extended! Besides that it's not gonna change anything, the power level was upped so frequently the last few years that most of the cards before Time spiral are too bad anyway. And what about the combos?

Thopter? Yes
DDephs? Yes
Scapeshift? Yes
Hypergenesis? Yes
Elves? Yes

Stupid Game.
I'm more annoyed by the fact that Wizards have just done this so close to PT:A. My play group have just clubbed together to buy the cards needed for the decks that two of our number want to play at the PT to find out this morning that the expensive cards that we bought, the Rav Duels, aren't going to be legal.

I personally think that it will eventually be a good thing for Extended, but I think that they could have waited until a) after the PT or b) as part of the Scars release in Oct.
I love Extended. It's my favourite format. I've spent a long time collecting together the cards that you need for the format. I love the fact you have such a wide variety of cards to choose from, but without having to get your hands on the ridiculously under-supplied Legacy staples such as original duals and Force of Will.

I absolutely hate this change. The reason people only play Extended at PTQs is because that's the only time you let us. If you allowed it as an option for FNMs etc, then people would play it. Completely neutering the format won't make people play it. All it does is annoy all your loyal customers who've paid out for things like Ravnica duals (now worthless) and Dark Depths (might still be Legacy playable, but whose value will certainly drop).

Nice one.
In the UK, the most attended PTQ format by a long way was Extended, followed by Sealed, Standard, then Block.

The wording of this announcement makes it unlikely there are going to be Legacy PTQs.  My collection of Extended magic cards just went down the flipping drain.

Wizards!  TO's run what you support!
The differences between the old extended and the new one:

1. If you started trading for a deck that worked in the old extended you just got kicked in the teeth!
I traded for 4 Hypergenesis, and already have Thopter/Swords pieces... now they won't get to see anything more than an EDH deck.

2. It's rotations are faster.
The hidden effect of this is that your decks will cost more and have a shorter life-span than old extended, where you could build a Thopter/Depth or Hypergenesis and just play it until the whole thing rotates or something seriously stronger comes along (which frankly didn't happen often in old extended).

3. The mana bases change, and mana fixers will be more expensive.
With the exit of the Rav dual lands, your mana bases won't be anywhere near as powerful. Those few "good lands" from Standard will have to do double duty in extended... and even Filter lands from Lorwyn/Shadowmoor will rise in price. To make this point clearer: Less options means the best options will have greater demand... which will lead to an increase in price, as the supply will remain low.

4. You WILL have decks that just as annoying to deal with when they rotate into extended, as they were in standard.
When a deck is dominating and has a flexible mana base (Jund, 5-color control), it dominates standard. Normally the extended format is readily equipped to handle this (Jund and 5-color control were MIA last extended season). However, in small card pools old favorites that previously dominated are suddenly viable again. They don't have to deal with the same blazingly fast combo decks or turbo charged zoo decks that previously kept them in check.

5. Extended won't "feel" very different from standard.
Over a 4-year span, the variation between sets and design teams will be smaller than over 7. They said "no more multi-color" with Zendikar block. However, for the 4 blocks previous (Ravnica, Time Spiral, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, and Alara) multi-color was the design idea of choice. A change to a 4-year extended will cause the Extended and Standard formats to look practically identical unless they start developing more dramatic design swings (like the one that took play over the entirety of Zendikar block between a fast limited [Zen/Wwd] to a super slow one [ROE]).

In my opinion, a better way to keep people playing Magic beyond the tedium of buying into standard is making more accessable casual products. Archenemey, Planechase, and EDH are all excellent. 250 card prismatic has been around for years. If you can keep people interested in playing at a level they want to, there is no reason to rework a tournament format entirely into what is essentially a shadow of it's former self and a poor imitation of standard. Players who just want to play the game, without being "overwhelmed by extended" will do so and find a way to have fun.
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
But what this gives us is a format that includes 2 blocks, one that includes 4 blocks, one that includes more than 10 blocks, and two that include all 17 that exist.  Am I the only one who sees a slight lack of balance here?

What's the format that 'includes more than 10 blocks'?

I think the most irrational part of all this is NO phase in. Instead of just destroying everyone who has a collection all at once. WHy not rotate towards this.

This year rotate out COK+MD5

Then next year rotate out the rest for your new format. instead yall spring a MASSIVE change on the unprepared populace as always. not only accelarating rotation, but also moving the rotation up in terms of months till.
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
Also, we Concluded Christmas isn't very popular because people only engage in the mass exchanging of gifts when we make them, about once a year. 

Some things are special *because* they only come round once a year.
I moaned about this in the announcement thread as well, but this is just so incredibly badly planned!

The new extended is just standard with a new shiny frosting of faeries on it whereas the gap between extended and vintage is absolutely ginormous (yes, this called for a new word).

When I started reading the article I figured that they would announce the Masques -> today format, but no. Instead they nerfed a perfectly good format instead! I really enjoy playing Extended, but I rarely do so in a sanctioned event because there are no sanctioned events to speak of! It's so much easier to find a sanctioned block tournament than it is to find an extended one.

Oh well, I guess I won't have to spend any money on the second hand market now...

Maybe his point is that even if they brought in the rumored Masques-forwards eternal format, now that traditional Extended is gone, there would still be a huge gap between formats and thererore a serious imbalance.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Why would anyone but those who are force to play this format play it??? Wizards has made some bad decisions lately: reaffirming the reserved list, banning a ton of blue cards in Vintage, removing damage from the stack... but this takes the cake. This format will draw just as few new players as 7 yr etended and it will lose everyone who liked 7 year extended... a lose lose. People like to play with broken cards, get that through your head wizards. People don't play legacy to play with "pet" cards. They play legacy because the format has a really powerful set of cards. Vintage got gutted. Standard has been a largely unbalanced format for years. Legacy is the greatest thing to happen to magic since Rav lands (and now they are non tourney viable in any format...)

The single worst thing? Ban sword of the meek and not Dark Depths? Ban Hypergenesis and not dark depths??????!!!! Dumb, just dumb. Magic is such a great game it has been growing despite Wizards incredible blunders. This isn't the tipping point, but for those of us who are playing attention magic has been becoming less fun for 2 years now.

This tells me: Just play Legacy. Standard was always terrible, but at least I could use the cards toward ext. Now the extended will be so boring (hey it's all the decks you just got bored with if you were following standard), and standard will be so unbalanced. Just play legacy, regardless of pricetag. Oh wait, they banned mystical... when the format was thriving and there was literly no reason to ban it? Wow, way to hurt magic.

I guess I'll just draft.
They don't ban Dark Depths cause its not in the format in the first place
The single worst thing? Ban sword of the meek and not Dark Depths? Ban Hypergenesis and not dark depths??????!!!! Dumb, just dumb.

Coldsnap is 'rotated' out of this format so Dark Depths just isn't legal.
Utterly utterly insane.

A curse on both your constructed formats.
the reason people did not play extended was not the card pool. It was because you guys did not support it. Do you think your new format be played online when you pay in shards boosters?
Extended format.

Died 18th June 2010.

Shot in the head.
Extended format.

Died 18th June 2010.

Shot in the head.

I agree. They are basically killing every format that is not standard, which means that if they release another mirrodin/kamigawa block nobody will play their game.

Note: What's even more stupider is that legacy would be a gold mine if they didn't keep doing wrong after wrong by refusing to reprint the dual lands.

As of today, I no longer play Extended.  What will my Boros deck do without its playset of Boros Swiftblade?

Without the Ravnica block, Extended is nothing to me anymore.  Poor dual lands, Guildhalls (Prahv and Rix Maadi), legendary legendaries like Augustin IV and Kos, and Tidespout Tyrant, one of the most fun cards in casual formats of all time.

RDW will no longer have Lava Spike.  That's disappointing.

I would say that Land Discard could dominate the new format (based around KotR, Realms Uncharted, Worm Harvest, etc.) but it is nothing without the Ravnica dual lands.

Maybe I can get a playset of Sword of the Meek for only a dollar or two now.  That would be nice, since in my group of friends we'll probably just continue playing the old Extended.

Great, now we get to deal with a few more years of Jund!!!

Extended is dead.

Thanks WotC, thanks a bunch. 
I had a long and articulate response but I decided to go with something simple: This Sucks.

Best part is, it will be just like the reprint policy- we are going to be ignored and Wizards will continue to sit on their high horse with washed out players who make decisions at random with no given information backing them.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

I never played competitive Extended because I found the 7 year card pool intimidating and because it wan't played at FNM. The format's stability and the chance to build decks that weren't possible in Standard were attractive, and we do build casual Extended decks.

The article suggests that the DCI and Wizards concluded that:
a) Players who want to use a larger cardpool in a very stable format prefer Legacy over Extended.
b) Standard players want to get more than 2 years max out of their existing (generally expensive) decks.
c) The fact that you can't do this in Extended, have to buy dedicated expensive cards, and engage with a completely different metagame, put new and reacquired players off the format.
d) The purpose of Extended is for lots of Standard and Limited players to get more use out of their cards.
e) The best way to achieve this is to change Extended; the best configuration is Double Standard.

My immediate reaction to the announcement was that it was the wrong move and would throw the baby (more stable, different decks from Standard) out with the bathwater (too many cards, unappealing to new players). I tried to write a post to this effect but, if you accept that Extended is not fit for purpose and needs to change, the proposed changes make a lot of sense.

I am excited by the prospect of Standard giants slugging it out - Teachings vs. Faeries vs. Jund vs. WU Control, anyone? - and believe that there will still be room for designers to create innovative decks and (ab)use the larger cardpool to great effect. A format with greater crossover from Standard is desirable if the cardpool gives deckbuilders the tools to keep in check the decks that truly dominated Standard (e.g. Jund and Fae), and the 4 year cardpool and annual rotation will keep it from stagnating. I think Wizards could cover all the bases with this one: accesible, stable archetypes, room for innovation, variety of competitive decks.

I would have preferred a 5 year cardpool, as I think this would have given greater variety and would have kept 2 very popular sets in the format for longer. I do not think 5 years rather than 4 would have been that off-putting; if part of the reason for the changes was to bring in recently acquired players, and it was considered important to rotate out the expensive Rav lands and dominant Dark Depths deck as a way to achieve this, then this was the wrong decision.

I would very much like to hear more from Wizards/DCI about the decision making process - how much research and consultation was done, how much was logical deduction?

Do opponents of the change think that no change was necessary, object purely because 4 years is too short (5 better?), or because the have shelled out a lot of money for cards that are suddenly out of the format?

I will be watching PT Amsterdam with great interest, and I now plan to play competitive Extended.

Footnote, not wishing to distract from the main argument - commiserations to those guys who bought cards recently for a format that has just changed hugely. This announcement should have been made much earlier in the year, perhaps with the announcement of Scars of Mirroden.
Do opponents of the change think that no change was necessary, object purely because 4 years is too short (5 better?), or because the have shelled out a lot of money for cards that are suddenly out of the format?

BOTH!

I liked the larger card pool for making me stretch my mind and deck building skills. Now I have to do it AGAIN, with an even LARGER card pool, with my same meager resources, if I want to stay competitive.

Because I'm not playing the "new" extended: too restricted, and (i predict) filled w/choobs & noobs. Just like Standard. Let's call it "noob extended"

AND I shelled out a lot of money that I can't really afford  for cards that suddenly went out of format. Eating Top Ramen for a week to buy a playset of Extirpate, etc. "Thanks for your money. Bend over."

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

As one who isn't really affected directly (in that I did not stock up on Mirrodin and Kamigawa staples to be competitive), I will say the timing of this was terrible. Rotating extra stufff out in October would have been fine. Giving players a few weeks with few, if any, legitimate tournaments between now and the 14, was just a poor move.

I would think that dropping it to six or even five years would have been okay. Four years is too short. Basically all those decks players already hate will be played for an extra two years without a larger pool to keep them in check. Extended was a fun interesting, and diverse format as a spectator. That's probably done now.

It's good for the "I just got here in M10 and what do you mean it and Shards leaves in three months" crowd, bad for longer-term players. We already know Legacy is going to die a slow death due to the unavailability of cards, and now with more players forced into the format the situation is going to get worse and its eventual demise will happen sooner. There's got to be some other long-term format in the works after all. Still a rumor, but one that makes even more sense than it did when it came around a couple of months ago. Overall, it is showing older players the door at a rate not seen, well, ever.

As I said in a couple of other threads, I am impacted more from a psychological standpoint than anything, but the triuth is that I would have been able to jump into Extended with a good pool already in another year and a half I wanted to. That's done now. Interestingly, I have the horses to play this nu-Extended between July and October, anyway. I probably have the pieces for a number of very competitive decks without spending another dime. Working up the interest is another matter. If Time Spiral was staying another year, maybe. As it is now, no.
I created this account just to post in this thread.  I remember when Wizards used to be a people company.  They USED to care about the players and the game.  They say they do, but it is a great and terrible lie.  Ever since Hasbro bought them, business decisions have been made to bring in new players.  New players = more money.  If you only care about bringing in the new players' money, you're just going to cycle through people as they realize that becoming a competetive tournament player is a great way to waste their time, effort, and MONEY.  Magic is already a cash cow and I know it is a great game set up to do well for the rest of forever as long as the right decisions are made.  More and more players are joining this wonderful game and infrequent/casual players are playing more.  Fantastic!  But when does it stop?  Wizards' pride and greed (or Hasbro... who even cares anymore?) are slowly driving my friends and I insane.  We are torn because we are avid tourney goers and want to become pros so we read the articles, playtest like crazy and spend the RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY required to be competitive, but more and more frequently a giant overhaul is made to the game that pisses us off and only makes sense in the "Wizards will make more money and doesn't care about the loyal players anymore."  Changing the card background colors to wussy pastels so the cards are more inviting and warm toward the new and younger players...  Restricting the printing of chase rares and then later introducing "mythic" rares to cover it up...  Getting rid of damage on the stack to help out the lazy and uneducated players...  Refusing to reprint the dual lands in order to maintain their value and then completely and utterly destroying extended and the thousands of dollars I invested in it...  What about maintaining the value of my cards?  You took my money upon a tournament pretense that I thought would last me several more years.  And then the man changes everything.  You took my money then you burned my cards.  We are not stupid.  We are the players.  Players make the game and the tournament players are a vital core to your cash flow.  YOU ARE BITING THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU AND IT MAKES ME SICK.  The worst part is saying goodbye to extended.  I absolutley loved the extended format.  Did FNM ever support extended?  What has Wizards ever done to get people interested in it?  Stand by and watch it die or did they let it die to make more money when everyone has to build entirely new decks, buy all the crappy dual lands that will spike in value, and choke down faeries, jund, and all the other standard decks I played extended to get away from once in a while?  Enjoy your dirty money.  At this rate the wonderful game of Magic: the Gathering is becoming more and more of a joke.  THANK YOU ALL AT WIZARDS/HASBRO FOR DISAPPOINTING ME AND WASTING MY MONEY WHILE YOU KILL THE GAME I LOVE.  R.I.P. Extended- 6/18/2010.  We will miss you.  Sincerely, Charles Bradford.

It's good for the "I just got here in M10 and what do you mean it and Shards leaves in three months" crowd, bad for longer-term players. We already know Legacy is going to die a slow death due to the unavailability of cards, and now with more players forced into the format the situation is going to get worse and its eventual demise will happen sooner. There's got to be some other long-term format in the works after all. Still a rumor, but one that makes even more sense than it did when it came around a couple of months ago. Overall, it is showing older players the door at a rate not seen, well, ever.

What's the argument that making more people play Legacy will kill the format sooner?  The prices on some of the older cards may go up, but if so, that's because people want them and are playing them!  If the prices on duals get high enough, perhaps people will run the Ravnica duals as substitutes, accepting a bit of pain in order to save hundreds of dollars.

To put it another way, there may be an upper limit on how big Legacy can grow, due to card quantity limitations, but the existence of a such a limit should not cause the format to shrink.  Almost by definitely, if the format is shrinking, then the limited number of cards available isn't an issue (at least not a binding one).

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
But what this gives us is a format that includes 2 blocks, one that includes 4 blocks, one that includes more than 10 blocks, and two that include all 17 that exist.  Am I the only one who sees a slight lack of balance here?

I believe this format is the online classic format. I don't play online though, so I can't be sure.

That being said. Wizards, I can't understand why you intend to kill Legacy, neuter Extended, and make another standard format. Yes people are spending ridiculous amounts of money on your new product. But why do you want to kill 75% of your product? Congratulations to everyone who collected all your Ravnica block dual lands. You just wasted your money. But thats ok, because wizards has it and they don't care what people want, unless you spend thousands of dollars a year to play standard.

I would eventually like these changes if, and ONLY IF, the "overextended format" comes about. If you do a Masques--->Present block, then kudos, this is a brilliant idea. Otherwise, I think you are all insane.

My thoughts on the reserve list: Why did you ever make it public? The reserve list only matters to you in the company. Had you not made it public, you wouldn't have people complaining about it.

Just print "From the Vault: Dual Lands" and legacy will be playable by everyone and everything. Oh, and all the kids who are "afraid of extended because its too scary" will have easy access to the building blocks for the eternals. Granted they'll still need to buy the spells, but 90% of the people who tell me they don't want to get into legacy have the very next sentence of "I don't own the duals."

So Wizards, if you make "Over Extended" this might be a smart move. Although, I can't fathom why youd release the "Double Standard" information without telling everyone about an "Over Extended" format at the same time. Maybe they like ticking everyone off? Who knows.

In the mean time. All the formats I'm going to be playing are EDH and Legacy. Thanks Wizards. You kept me from spending money to get back into Extended.
This new format is ridiculous.  Extended is where players who can't afford several hundred dollars for a mana base go to.  You get to play fun combos without running into rampant Force of Wills.  Extended was cheaper than standard or legacy.  The new change is only going to make the standard prices that much worse.

Oh BTW
This won't change extended attendance rates.
I can't reason why you are doing this to be honest.
Are you catering to...
MTGO?
New players?
Your focus groups?
or your pocket?

I guess we older players are asked yet again to take the hit and the new players benefit again.  Thanks again for abusing your dedicated playerbase.
Dear Brian David-Marshall,
 Regarding your article "Pop Quiz with Trick Questions":

Hello!  So Erik Lauer complains that people don't play extended and it needs an overall, yes?  Do you Americans know where Prague is?  The capital of the Czech Republic?  Where EVERY player I know has an extended deck?  

How is it functionally different to hold on to the sacred "no reprint" list and then hit extended in this manner?  Your company wishes to preseve the value of certain cards, 60% of which no one really cares about anymore, only to do this to a later investment?  How is that supposed to build long-term loyalty?   

This sudden shock hits Czech players in two ways.  One, we play extended and both shops selling your game have extended touraments and FNM weekly.

The other hit is right in the wallet.  Cards are 10-20% higher here, and the company with on fell stroke wipes out a considerable investment players have made in their competitive extended decks.  I wonder what my friend who bought the cards for All-in-Red a few months back will say about this.  Should be quite the show.

So, thank you for reading this, I will close by saying I am now done with this game I have played since 1994.  To be sure I'll play my mates from time to time in the pub with my existing pool, other than that I'm done.

Cheers;
Jezku
I hope that someone from Wizards is actually reading this. I think that they need to know that there has been a 95% negative reaction from the community.
Sign In to post comments