No Paper Tigers!!!!: The Monk Handbook

1637 posts / 0 new
Last post

In defense of Soaring Blade, it depends on how you're playing your monk. If your playing him/her as a martial controller, then you lose the damage of Ki Blade and it probably isn't worth taking. But if you're optimising him/her as a psionic striker, then it becomes an invaluable damage boost.

Having picked up Psionic Power today, it looks to me like Monks got some of the stuff they needed to be competent strikers, instead of just controllers. Before PP, monks were great strikers at heroic, but became martial controllers as they went into Paragon and Epic.

Now they've got more single-target melee powers, Soaring Blade, a Flurry of Blows more well fitting for a striker (albeit, also well-suited to a controller), and a few new feats to distinguish them. By no means will they rival rangers or berserkers in single target damage, but having that secondary controller role is probably enough to make them just as playable.

Actually, I meant if you're optimizing the monk as a striker you still may not want Soaring Blade.  The advantages of Ki Blade are: + damage to melee powers.  The disadvantages are: - attack to melee and close powers.  It is a great damage boost to single-target attacks, but you are likely to be less accurate, which means that boost isn't as great as it first appears.  Even with that boost, you're still pretty low on the totem pole compared to other strikers when it comes to single-target damage.  The monk could potentially outdamage other strikers when it comes to their close bursts and blasts, but that aspect gets weakened when you wield heavy blades (at least compared to light blades).  So you're taking the aspect the monk excelled in (multi-attacks) and making it weaker for the sake of making your weak single-target attacks not so weak (but still not great).

I'm just not convinced it's worth the trade off.  I haven't seen all the new monk features in Psionic Power, but it seems that the Monk is best off maximizing damage for multi-attacks and focusing on single-target control powers.  Don't get me wrong - I still like the path, it's just not as good as I thought when I first saw it.  At least a Revenant (Eladrin) could take that recent feat in dragon magazine to gain +1 to Attack with Monk powers when wielding a longsword.
dont know has anyone looked at the previews yet
www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

But on the daily 1st lvl power im pretty sure it's better than masterful spiral
*edit - now that i know it's a blast, well, maybe not as i imagined.

Steel Avalanche

Monk Attack 1

You unleash a wave of psionic power that cuts through your foes like steel.

Dailyclear.gifx.pngclear.gifImplement, Psionic
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex

Hit: 3d8 + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target takes a −2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).

Miss: Half damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Effect: You shift 4 squares to any square adjacent to the blast.

There's a new, honest to God, lv.1 "stun (save ends)" daily. And it piggy-backs off a stance that makes you immune to daze and stun.

But seriously, what makes Masterful Spiral great is the reach bonus - otherwise, Spinning Leopard Maneuver is better than both powers (and Stunning Palm is better than all three Tongue out).

@Squad - if it's that big of a deal to you, you can still use a dagger in your off-hand. Use it for burst attacks, Starblade Flurry, and melee attacks with questionable accuracy. All you really lose is the ability to simultaneously wield a dagger and a spear (which only matters at epic tier), or a dagger and a mace for Iron Soul powers. If that irks you, then use Unseen Hand.

Really though, Monks have gotten pretty good support through PPs. I think the Ghost path from PHB3 is the only one I'd try to talk another player out of. XD

There's a new, honest to God, lv.1 "stun (save ends)" daily. And it piggy-backs off a stance that makes you immune to daze and stun.

But seriously, what makes Masterful Spiral great is the reach bonus - otherwise, Spinning Leopard Maneuver is better than both powers (and Stunning Palm is better than all three ).

@Squad - if it's that big of a deal to you, you can still use a dagger in your off-hand. Use it for burst attacks, Starblade Flurry, and melee attacks with questionable accuracy. All you really lose is the ability to simultaneously wield a dagger and a spear (which only matters at epic tier), or a dagger and a mace for Iron Soul powers. If that irks you, then use Unseen Hand.

Really though, Monks have gotten pretty good support through PPs. I think the Ghost path from PHB3 is the only one I'd try to talk another player out of. XD

I can't believe i missed that and i whipped out my psionic power and saw it and said what the ***** outloud. It's hard to believe it's a level 1 daily.
Somehow i kept misreading burst instead of blast during speed reading.  Well in that case masterful spiral is way better.

But yeah until i read the psionic power book i cant assume anything yet.
I am currently out of the country with very limited internet, so I'm not going to be able to comment much or add in psionic power stuff for around 2 weeks.
Soaring Blade, flat out, means less damage for monks. It means in order to take advantage of it, you aren't using Five Storms, and your FoB targets will probably be halved compared to Unseen Hand, at roughly 25% less likely to trigger FoB anyways since you're only attacking one target. And of course, Soaring Blade just plain is not great at level 11-15. Unseen hand is great right out of the box (did you see the movement technique of the lvl 11 encounter!? holy crap!). And hitting with your Iron Soul Flurry of Blows means(especially artillery) are likely to take opportunity attacks. It is pretty much equivelent to proning the targets, which = more damage.

Even with frost cheese, you will (on average) do less damage with Soaring Blade. Single Target may be a little higher, but that's completely neglecting the Monk's greatest strength and focusing on something pretty much every other striker and defender is better at. Leave this path to the single target attackers who actually need frost cheese.
Currently Playing: lvl 6 Pixie Skald in Home Campaign lvl 2 Human Bard in Forgotten Realms ---
Something you guys may want to do is look at the back of Psipower- the Trascendent superior ki focus has a property called 'reaching', which increases your reach with melee implement attacks by 1.
Oh Content, where art thou?
Again the issue becomes that you aren't utilizing flurry of blows. Flurry of blows will specifically stay at melee 1- it is not an implement attack so is unaffected by that superior ki focus, and five storms and the other burst/blast attacks don't benefit from it. You simply cannot neglect Flurry of Blows- it is one of the strongest striker mechanics.
Currently Playing: lvl 6 Pixie Skald in Home Campaign lvl 2 Human Bard in Forgotten Realms ---
To be fair for the whole Soaring Blade issue, I'm pretty sure that the reasons it's awesome is for non-Monks multiclassing in.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
To be fair for the whole Soaring Blade issue, I'm pretty sure that the reasons it's awesome is for non-Monks multiclassing in.

Exactly my point.
Something you guys may want to do is look at the back of Psipower- the Trascendent superior ki focus has a property called 'reaching', which increases your reach with melee implement attacks by 1.

Don't have the book yet, but since Spinning Leopard is Melee 1, it seems like this focus would be pretty devastating...

Or am I missing something?
I dont know how Soaring Blade made it past the balancing team... Pretty sure thats going to be slapped with a "with monk and monk PP powers" first errata.

Don't have the book yet, but since Spinning Leopard is Melee 1, it seems like this focus would be pretty devastating...

Or am I missing something?

Well, SLM only lets you attack enemies you move adjacent to during the shift, so the reach doesn't really matter.

I don't have PsP yet, but will "reaching" implements actually affect a Melee 1 power anyway?  Generally a Melee X power is unaffected by reach; shouldn't only melee touch implement attacks get any benefit?
I don't have PsP yet, but will "reaching" implements actually affect a Melee 1 power anyway?  Generally a Melee X power is unaffected by reach; shouldn't only melee touch implement attacks get any benefit?

The exact text says that "You gain +1 reach with melee attacks using reach implement." If it's a melee attack using a reach implement, then you get +1 reach with it. This turns Melee 1 into Melee 2 and Melee touch into Melee touch+1. You are, however, completely correct in pointing out that it doesn't change what squares are considered to be adjacent to you, so Spinning Leopard Maneuver is indeed unaffected.

As a side note, I don't remember whether it's already been said, but that same implement has another new implement property called Blinking, which is pretty cute for Monks. "When you hit with a teleportation attack power, you have concealment until the start of your next turn."

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Hiya folks,

got a couple of monk-questions and maybe you guys can help me (not sure if this is the right place to post but seeing as the questions were inspired by FKs dagger monk idea I'll give it a shot.

1) I'm a bit confused about the superior implement thing. I'd want my monk to use an Accurate Dagger +2 (right now, as it's in the level range that we're in atm) in the main hand and a Rythm Parrying Dagger +1 in the offhand. That'd mean I need the Superior Implement Dagger and the Weapon Proficiency Parrying Dagger feat, right?

Now my question is: Do I get the +3 proficiency bonus for dagger proficiency when I make implement attacks? Cuz I recently realized my monk's attack bonus is WAY lower than that of our rogue or our barbarian - and even lower than those of the warrior or paladin - so I feel kinda shafted.

2) Nimble Blade feat gives a +1 bonus to attacks made with daggers if I have CA (which I do have quite often thanks to Deadly Draw). Does this only apply to basic attacks - or would this +1 also be applied to my monk implement attacks when using the dagger as the implement of my choice.

3) Versatile Expertise - To make most use of it in a dagger build I'd have to use Versatile Expertise Light Blade / Weapon, right?

That's all I can think of right now ... also, how can you guys be talking about Psionic Powers already? Can't find it anywhere - even Amazon won't sell it till Aug 17th.

TiA,

RegenCoE

PS: Sorry if some of the answers were already given on previous pages - the forum's loading REALLY slow here at work so I couldn't read through all 30 pages.
Hiya folks,

got a couple of monk-questions and maybe you guys can help me (not sure if this is the right place to post but seeing as the questions were inspired by FKs dagger monk idea I'll give it a shot.

1) I'm a bit confused about the superior implement thing. I'd want my monk to use an Accurate Dagger +2 (right now, as it's in the level range that we're in atm) in the main hand and a Rythm Parrying Dagger +1 in the offhand. That'd mean I need the Superior Implement Dagger and the Weapon Proficiency Parrying Dagger feat, right?

Now my question is: Do I get the +3 proficiency bonus for dagger proficiency when I make implement attacks? Cuz I recently realized my monk's attack bonus is WAY lower than that of our rogue or our barbarian - and even lower than those of the warrior or paladin - so I feel kinda shafted.

2) Nimble Blade feat gives a +1 bonus to attacks made with daggers if I have CA (which I do have quite often thanks to Deadly Draw). Does this only apply to basic attacks - or would this +1 also be applied to my monk implement attacks when using the dagger as the implement of my choice.

3) Versatile Expertise - To make most use of it in a dagger build I'd have to use Versatile Expertise Light Blade / Weapon, right?

That's all I can think of right now ... also, how can you guys be talking about Psionic Powers already? Can't find it anywhere - even Amazon won't sell it till Aug 17th.

TiA,

RegenCoE

PS: Sorry if some of the answers were already given on previous pages - the forum's loading REALLY slow here at work so I couldn't read through all 30 pages.

1) Correct. And you do not get proficiency for implement attacks. This is offset by the fact that you are targeting reflex/will/fort

2) you would get the +1 with all monk attacks when used with the implement

3) you don't HAVE to have versatile expertise, since you're only ever using a dagger as your implement, but there's no point in not taking it. Weapon expertise: Dagger would do the exact thing for you as you are playing it now though.

And as per having Psionic Power: There are stores marked as "Premiere stores" - usually specifically gaming and hobby shops, and these get books way in advance. I think they received it on the 6th, so that's 11 days early.
Sorry for the double-post but I just saw something that may be very useful. This states clearly that the monk's Flurry of Blows is now considered an attack! This clarification might help/hurt some things, so I thought I would bring it to light.

New feat in Psionic Power: Untraceable Flurry (requires Elan Heritage, monk, Flurry of Blows).
What it does: You can deal psychic damage with your Flurry of Blows power. When you do, the power deals full damage to insubstantial creatures.

Insubstantial: When you are insubstantial, you take half damage from any attack that deals damage to you. Ongoing damage is also halved.

Since this feat would be totally redundant and worthless if FoB was not an attack.... it is thus an attack and the RAI is clear.
Well talking about that power, spinning leopard manuever got nerfed in damage

Spinning Leopard Maneuver Monk Attack 1

Daily, Implement, Psionic
Standard Action Melee 1
Effect: You shift your speed and can make the following
attack once against each enemy that you move adjacent
to during the shift.
Target: One enemy
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d6 + Dexterity modifier damage.
Miss: Half damage.

1) Correct. And you do not get proficiency for implement attacks. This is offset by the fact that you are targeting reflex/will/fort

2) you would get the +1 with all monk attacks when used with the implement

3) you don't HAVE to have versatile expertise, since you're only ever using a dagger as your implement, but there's no point in not taking it. Weapon expertise: Dagger would do the exact thing for you as you are playing it now though.

And as per having Psionic Power: There are stores marked as "Premiere stores" - usually specifically gaming and hobby shops, and these get books way in advance. I think they received it on the 6th, so that's 11 days early.

Heya CrimsonLyre and thanks for your answers.

Well, if Weapon Expertise does the same thing wouldn't it make more sense for me to actually take Versatile Expertise Light Blade / Focus? That way I'd get the same benefits for the dagger (as the dagger's a light blade) - and should I ever lose the dagger or stumble upon a Ki Focus that for what ever reason I might want to use I'd still get the +1 bonus.
Same feat investment, more/better benefits = better choice. Sure, go for versatile expertise!

-Enaloindir 
Sorry for the double-post but I just saw something that may be very useful. This states clearly that the monk's Flurry of Blows is now considered an attack! This clarification might help/hurt some things, so I thought I would bring it to light.

New feat in Psionic Power: Untraceable Flurry (requires Elan Heritage, monk, Flurry of Blows).
What it does: You can deal psychic damage with your Flurry of Blows power. When you do, the power deals full damage to insubstantial creatures.

Insubstantial: When you are insubstantial, you take half damage from any attack that deals damage to you. Ongoing damage is also halved.

Since this feat would be totally redundant and worthless if FoB was not an attack.... it is thus an attack and the RAI is clear.

Flurry of Blows now being considered an attack, what does this change? I'm curious...

I mean... it still lacks the Weapon or Implement keyword, but I wonder what could be the benefits of this feature. At first I thought ''Iron Armbands of Power?'' but then I realised it was only for attack rolls...

Now what could possibly take advantage of attacks that have no attack or damage rolls...?
(outside of Crashing Tempest Style and Ki Weapon-like features that specifically boost Flurry of Blows damage, that is)

I don't think you're basing this on the most current version of the insubstantial rules presented in the MM2.  The MM2 rules don't reference attacks, so it doesn't change anything.  FoB is still not an attack.  Even if it did reference attacks, it would probably be chalked up to a mistake. 
Ah yeah, I only checked the phb's. Well on the plus side, it means weaken still does full damage with FoB lol

It bothers me that they don't put these things in the rules updates. It means that even if it gets through PHB and the updates, it may not work. Too much looking around :/

I can't wait til they release the rules compendium. I'll be all over that
There are actually a fair number of effects, feats and items that have properties that trigger "when you damage an enemy with an attack," worded as such so that an autodamage zone doesn't net you that property. It gives monks a new area of damage and option expansion.

The original core books said that this was our game too. It doesn't feel like that anymore.

Can anybody tell me what the new monk at-wills from Psionic Power do? Are there any interesting feats in PP?
Can anybody tell me what the new monk at-wills from Psionic Power do? Are there any interesting feats in PP?

Lions Den. Attack Technique attacks Reflex, deals 1D6+DEX, and until the start of your next turn, you can deal CON damage as a free action to any enemy that enters a square adjacent to you. Movement Technique is just a 1 square shift that also grants a +1 power bonus to all defenses until the start of your next turn. Seems meh to me.

Steel Wind. Attack Technique is interestingly a Close blast 2, which I've never seen before. Targets the Reflex of each enemy you can see for 1D8+DEX. Movement Technique lets you move your speed +2 and also cancels any mark on you. I like this one, actually.

I answer these questions and more in this thread over on General.

I answer these questions and more in this thread over on General.

I saw the thread. Since I'm a bit time-starved at the moment, asking here was faster than digging through all those posts. So much for laziness going unnoticed. ;)

It just occured to me that an Iron Soul Kobold Monk with the Mark of Passage feat could be fun.

Shift 3 squares with Five Storms, Shift 2 squares with Shifty... total of 5 per turn.

Are there some other shenanigans that could be added to this ''build''? Magic items?
(Also, are there feats somewhere in core books or monster manuals for Kobolds?)
It just occured to me that an Iron Soul Kobold Monk with the Mark of Passage feat could be fun.

Shift 3 squares with Five Storms, Shift 2 squares with Shifty... total of 5 per turn.

Are there some other shenanigans that could be added to this ''build''? Magic items?

The Long Step epic feat also lets you shift an additional square whenever you shift, bringing you up to 7 per turn.

There aren't any Kobold specific feats, because there's never been a PC writeup for them.

Yah, I currently play a Kobold Centered Breath Monk, but I'm strongly considering switching to Iron Soul. The Iron Soul Flurry of Blows seems more controller/tankish than I had in mind for the character, but i think would be nice to lock ranged attackers down.
I'm not sure about switching from centered breath to iron soul yet.  I'm just not sure if i am giving up slide (leads to CA with deadly draw & more AC from oa w/ defensive mobility) for oa by enemies, ac and more shift. 
Moreover i have githz mobility (1+wis modifier against oa) +  defensive mobility if i decide 2 add that(+2 against oa), i'm pretty sure i wont get hit most of the time when i move to where i need to perform my power attacks.
& defesive advantage @ paragon lvl gives u more ac.  So i just dont think shifting is not a big deal 2 have.  Not that i say shifting is not important, but u really need maybe 2 shifts 2 get out of an oa & many powers have that already

Well since i have a tank in my party already i might not need 2 tank
But i need 2 take a look at the new book 2 see what they have
I put together a sample build for a Stone Fist monk, where the goal is to deal good single-target melee damage (for situations like solo encounters), without giving up too much in the way of attack and damage bonuses when using Five Storms and other close attacks.  It requires going MC Fighter for the Kulkor Arms Master paragon path - which gives you a free action MBA when you prone an enemy with a melee attack.

If I attack with Dragon's Tail while I have Combat Advantage:

Attack +37 versus Fortitude
Damage 2d6 + 54

Target Fortitude = 42 (Monster NAD: 12+level) - [Edited]
= (.20 * 0) + (.75 * 61) + (.05 * 87) = 50.1

MBA via Kulkor Arms Master with Combat Advantage:

Attack +39 versus Reflex (Deft Blade)
Damage 2d4 + 38

Target Reflex = 42 (Monster NAD: 12+level)
= (.10 * 0) + (.85 * 43) + (.05 * 67) = 39.9

Total DPR = 90 + Prone

Details:
Show

Dragon's Tail Attack and Damage:
+9 Dexterity, +15 Level, +6 Enhancement, +3 Versatile, +2 Combat Advantage, +1 Nimble Blade, +1 Superior

2d6 Dragon's Tail, +9 Dexterity, +6 Enhancement, +3 Weapon Focus, +6 Iron Armbands of Power, +1 TWF, +11 Flurry, +5 Lasting Frost, +4 Brutal Flurry, +4 Gloves of Ice, +5 Shard

MBA Attack and Damage:
+8 Strength, +15 Level, +6 Enhancement, +3 Versatile, +2 Combat Advantage, +1 Nimble Blade, +1 Superior, +3 Proficiency

2d4 Dagger, +8 Strength, +6 Enhancement, +3 Weapon Focus, +6 Iron Armbands of Power, +1 TWF, +5 Lasting Frost, +4 Gloves of Ice, +5 Shard

Given this build, this is how Five Storms turns out:

Combat Advantage with Five Storms:
Attack +37 versus Reflex
Damage 2d8 + 42

Target Reflex = 42 (Monster NAD: 12+level)
= (.20 * 0) + (.75 * 51) + (.05 * 79) = 42.2 per adjacent enemy

Details:
Show

+9 Dexterity, +15 Level, +6 Enhancement, +3 Versatile, +2 Combat Advantage, +1 Nimble Blade, +1 Superior

2d8 Five Storms, +9 Dexterity, +6 Enhancement, +3 Weapon Focus, +3 Ring of the Dragonborn, +1 TWF, +4 Ice, +11 Flurry, +5 Shard

Here's the build itself (though many details have yet to be filled in):
Half-Orc Stone Fist Monk - Kulkor Arms Master - Diamond Soul
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
SFM, level 30
Half-Orc, Monk, Kulkor Arms Master, Diamond Soul
Build: Stone Fist Monk
Monastic Tradition: Stone Fist
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Ki Focuses)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 14, Dex 28, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 48 Fort: 44 Reflex: 45 Will: 45
HP: 171 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +22, Stealth +29, Acrobatics +29, Athletics +30, Endurance +24

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +17, Heal +17, History +16, Insight +17, Intimidate +17, Nature +17, Religion +16, Streetwise +15, Thievery +24

FEATS
Level 1: Unarmored Agility
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Accurate dagger)
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Light Blade)
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Khopesh)
Level 10: Wrathful Warrior
Level 11: Kulkor Battlearm Student
Level 12: Lasting Frost
Level 14: Nimble Blade
Level 16: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 18: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 20: Starblade Flurry
Level 21: Robust Defenses
Level 22: Epic Will
Level 24: Stone Fist Master
Level 26: Defensive Advantage
Level 28: Brutal Flurry
Level 30: Deft Blade

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Dragon's Tail
Monk at-will 1: Five Storms

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Frost Accurate dagger +6, Magic Starweave Armor +6, Amulet of Protection +6, Rhythm Blade Accurate dagger +1, Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (paragon tier), Gloves of Ice (epic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier), Circlet of Indomitability (paragon tier), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Of course this build can probably be improved once all the material from Psionic Power and Dark Sun are included.  I believe I got all the details correct, but if I didn't please let me know!
Of course this build can probably be improved once all the material from Psionic Power and Dark Sun are included.

Consider the Violent Awakening feat for Half-Orc Monks? It lets you deal STR mod extra damage to one target of your Flurry of Blows when your Furious Assault and Flurry of Blows are triggered by the same hit.

Also, if you're not married to Half-Orc, you can also obtain +2 STR / +2 DEX from the Thri-Kreen, which has a sweet multi-target racial power and also has a feat called Four-Armed Flurry that grants a permanent +2 damage bonus against one target of your Flurry of Blows.

Of course this build can probably be improved once all the material from Psionic Power and Dark Sun are included.

Consider the Violent Awakening feat for Half-Orc Monks? It lets you deal STR mod extra damage to one target of your Flurry of Blows when your Furious Assault and Flurry of Blows are triggered by the same hit.

Also, if you're not married to Half-Orc, you can also obtain +2 STR / +2 DEX from the Thri-Kreen, which has a sweet multi-target racial power and also has a feat called Four-Armed Flurry that grants a permanent +2 damage bonus against one target of your Flurry of Blows.

I'm definitely not married to Half-Orc (and I hope I never am), and I was planning on changing the build to Thri-Kreen instead. . . . which made me want to find out more about the Thri-Kreen racial feats . . . which led to me accidentally posting Thri-Kreen questions in your Psionic Power thread. Embarassed  Anyway, I would like to find room in the build for Four-Armed Flurry, but I'm not sure yet what I'd take out. 
It's been pointed out to me that there may be a problem with Starblade Flurry and the parrying dagger, in that parrying dagger does not have the thrown property. Does this mean that either: A) you can still throw it, but it doesn't return to you since only magical weapons with the thrown property return  or B) you can't throw it, since it doesn't have the thrown property.

I'm leaning towards A personally, making the parrying Rhythm Blade a difficult sell for Starblade purposes. Then again it's only 360gp... you could just buy 10 of them and recover them every fight
Damage 2d6 + 54

Target AC = 44 (Monster AC: 14+level)

Shouldn't you attack Fort (42) instead of AC (44) here? Oddly enough, you used the correct hit chance (80%).  
It's been pointed out to me that there may be a problem with Starblade Flurry and the parrying dagger, in that parrying dagger does not have the thrown property. Does this mean that either: A) you can still throw it, but it doesn't return to you since only magical weapons with the thrown property return  or B) you can't throw it, since it doesn't have the thrown property.

I'm leaning towards A personally, making the parrying Rhythm Blade a difficult sell for Starblade purposes. Then again it's only 360gp... you could just buy 10 of them and recover them every fight

Starblade Flurry works when you hold a "dagger". When you wield a parrying dagger, you have a "parrying dagger" (obviously).
The parrying dagger only counts as a dagger for the purpose of the rogue's Weapon Talent feature. So, holding a a parrying dagger doesn't enable you to use Starblade Flurry, even though it has dagger as a part of its name.

Damage 2d6 + 54

Target AC = 44 (Monster AC: 14+level)

Shouldn't you attack Fort (42) instead of AC (44) here? Oddly enough, you used the correct hit chance (80%).  

Yep - thanks for catching that (too much cutting and pasting of that formula).
I like the look of the new epic destiny Master of Moments from Psionic Power, but I'm wondering if there is anyway of getting the most out of the second minor a round? Obviously moving twice a round is fantastic, but is there any other decent use of the minors for the monk? LdB has a fantastic nova turn for a Ranger, but it seems as though the Ranger, Rogue, and Fighter gain much more from the minors... any thoughts?

Bountiful Seconds (24):
You can take an extra minor action during each of your turns. During your turn, you can give up two minor actions to gain an extra move action.
Sign In to post comments