No Paper Tigers!!!!: The Monk Handbook

1637 posts / 0 new
Last post
Strictly, Starblade Flurry doesn't throw your dagger at all - it's not using the weapon to attack, it's the holding of the weapon that triggers a boosted range on Flurry.  It could just be a focus for a ki-based attack, for instance.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thank you for your help guys. I was not aware that a throwing weapon will return to your hand when it's magical.

Can I only use standard daggers for making a Starblade flurry attack? I mean there are more daggers than just daggers. Like parrying daggers or the superior implement accurate dagger.
Can I only use standard daggers for making a Starblade flurry attack? I mean there are more daggers than just daggers. Like parrying daggers or the superior implement accurate dagger.

What makes those not daggers? 

But you should throw shuriken instead of daggers, way more awesome. 
A parrying dagger is not a dagger, for the same reason a greatsword is not a longsword.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Does this also count for an accurate dagger, which is more an implement?
Superior implement daggers are still daggers.
Note that some of the new elemental themes work well with monks. 

- Windlord allows an encounter fly right off the bat, and its level 5 feature increases all fly powers by 1, which monks have plenty of.

- Watershaper is good for centered breaths looking to enhance their control secondary.  It gives a blast 3 that knocks prone (that turns into a zone at level 10), and at level 5 give bonuses to heal and insight as well as an ally THP buffer when you use SW.

-Cultist gives a damage boost and THP on a hit, and at level 5 grants +1 to FORT and WILL when bloodied.  Note this stacks particularly well with Razorclaw Shifters, who get +1 AC and REF when bloodied from shifting.  Not sure if Mark of Warding works on theme features as it would with shifting, though.

Also, Watershaper has a level 6 utility which basically turns any race into a changeling.  The utility of that alone is crazy good.
For those looking to make a Desert Wind monk, I would find it hard not to justify taking the Firecrafter theme, because the vulnerable 5 fire that Burning Bright slaps on everyone with 2 squares of you is going to result in a pretty massive damage increase over the course of the encounter.
For those looking to make a Desert Wind monk, I would find it hard not to justify taking the Firecrafter theme, because the vulnerable 5 fire that Burning Bright slaps on everyone with 2 squares of you is going to result in a pretty massive damage increase over the course of the encounter.

Not to mention that its initial power isn't really as bad as it seems. You just use it to initiate a 2-turn autodamage aura, and ignore the part that allows you to end the aura to make a close blast attack. Kind of counterintuitive, though.
Also, Watershaper has a level 6 utility which basically turns any race into a changeling.  The utility of that alone is crazy good.

If by 'crazy good' you mean 'basically irrelevant to CharOp', yes.

Watershaper would be a nice theme if it scaled properly.  Unfortunately, it doesn't scale properly, so it's mediocre at best.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I agree that the use of shapechanging is subjective at best, but your game rolelays at all (and heck, even if it doesn't really), it could translate into surprise rounds.

Though I guess that doesn't matter as much with Monks as it does with classes with high bluff and low stealth, givin their natural sneakiness.
Hopefully we'll see some updates with the new Elemental Chaos options soon? :-) 
Blondie

Here's a level 12 monk I whipped up using the new material, as well as an unconventional multiclass into wizard.
Summary:

Dead tiefling
firecrafter theme
desert wind monk (fire FoB)
slashing kama style (FoB = ongoing damage)
multiclass wizard to qualify for
hellfire master (5+cha fire when they save against a fire effect, such as your fire FoB ongoing)
icy clutch of stygia (0/5/10+ cha when they save, so at 12, 10 damage)

This would be great against solos, as most of them have +2-5 on saving throws.
Ratings for the new powers from HotEC? Sometime? Maybe?

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I too would be interested in this.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project

I am trying to update this as I have time.  I believe I will have some time this weekend. 

I am trying to update this as I have time.  I believe I will have some time this weekend. 

Awesome. Take your time.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication.
Got a 6th level half-Orc Stone Fist monk in LFR: Unarmored Agility, Crashing Tempest, Versatile Expertise, Swift Recovery (he died once - it was unpleasant). Uses Acrobat Boots, a Ki Weapon (club), Blurred Strike Ki Focus, a Shielding Blade dagger, Iron Armbands o' Power, and Skybound Armor. Picked up the Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and almost immediately swapped out his 5th level daily with Calm Before The Storm.

Tell me if I'm reading this right.

I go into this stance, until the end of the encounter, or until I go into another stance. While in this stance, I'm slowed. Also, any time an adjacent enemy makes an attack, I can make an immediate interrupt attack that, if it hits, does moderate damage and prones. If it misses, I grant CA.

So here's the deal. My athletics skill is 13. And I have Crane's Wings as an at-will. So every turn, I can make a boosted jump as if with a running start. If I roll a 2, I can jump 4 squares. Plus one square for the armor, for 5. On a 17 or higher, it's 8 squares. So my speed is 2; so what? The jump can exceed my speed. How many OA's can I provoke every turn, in order to interrupt and damage and flurry (twice / round) and prone as I sail past? And then I get to make my regular Crane's Wings (or Scattering of Leaves) attack. And then if an adjacent opponent stands up and attacks anyone on his turn, again smack and prone - before his attack is resolved. And the interrupt attack I make isn't an OA, so if the opponent's attack action happens to provoke, I get to make one of those, too. In a target-rich environment, there's the potential for making a really large number of attacks, every round, for the entire combat - not to mention the sick amount of control of the bad guys' movement.

Haven't had the chance to play him this way yet, so I don't know how suicidal this power will end up being - if the dice are cold, that's a lot of CA I'm granting. But just looking at it, it looks pure gold to me. And it also promotes Defensive Mobility to sky blue, if not gold - I don't want to avoid the OA's, I just don't want to get hit by them.

Oh, and for a little icing on the cake: While I'm slowed, half my speed is 1, so I can kick off the ki focus's daily after the first square of a jump, and the defense bonus (untyped) lasts for that turn through the end of my next one. Booya!
Got a 6th level half-Orc Stone Fist monk in LFR: Unarmored Agility, Crashing Tempest, Versatile Expertise, Swift Recovery (he died once - it was unpleasant). Uses Acrobat Boots, a Ki Weapon (club), Blurred Strike Ki Focus, a Shielding Blade dagger, Iron Armbands o' Power, and Skybound Armor. Picked up the Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and almost immediately swapped out his 5th level daily with Calm Before The Storm.

Tell me if I'm reading this right.

I go into this stance, until the end of the encounter, or until I go into another stance. While in this stance, I'm slowed. Also, any time an adjacent enemy makes an attack, I can make an immediate interrupt attack that, if it hits, does moderate damage and prones. If it misses, I grant CA.

So here's the deal. My athletics skill is 13. And I have Crane's Wings as an at-will. So every turn, I can make a boosted jump as if with a running start. If I roll a 2, I can jump 4 squares. Plus one square for the armor, for 5. On a 17 or higher, it's 8 squares. So my speed is 2; so what? The jump can exceed my speed. How many OA's can I provoke every turn, in order to interrupt and damage and flurry (twice / round) and prone as I sail past? And then I get to make my regular Crane's Wings (or Scattering of Leaves) attack. And then if an adjacent opponent stands up and attacks anyone on his turn, again smack and prone - before his attack is resolved. And the interrupt attack I make isn't an OA, so if the opponent's attack action happens to provoke, I get to make one of those, too. In a target-rich environment, there's the potential for making a really large number of attacks, every round, for the entire combat - not to mention the sick amount of control of the bad guys' movement.

Haven't had the chance to play him this way yet, so I don't know how suicidal this power will end up being - if the dice are cold, that's a lot of CA I'm granting. But just looking at it, it looks pure gold to me. And it also promotes Defensive Mobility to sky blue, if not gold - I don't want to avoid the OA's, I just don't want to get hit by them.

Oh, and for a little icing on the cake: While I'm slowed, half my speed is 1, so I can kick off the ki focus's daily after the first square of a jump, and the defense bonus (untyped) lasts for that turn through the end of my next one. Booya!

You can only use one Immediate Action per round.
You also can't take immediate actions on your own turn, so you can't provoke and attack and then interrupt it.
You also can't take immediate actions on your own turn, so you can't provoke and attack and then interrupt it.

Also note, that interrupts and reactions both count against your "one immediate per round" limit, so you cannot ready an action, to provoke attacks outside your turn and then trigger the interrupt.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

Thanks for the reality check, guys - don't know how I missed that. I thought that power looked a little too good.

So the power gives potentially one extra attack per round, on someone else's turn - which means that attack can't trigger a flurry. It's still likely better than the extra flurries from One Hundred Leaves.
Didn't they recently errata flurry to be once per turn, like Sneak Attack?
Not that I remember. The most recently published version in Elemental Chaos still lists it as on your turn, once per round.

Edit: Which really seems kind of redundant when you think about it. 
I remember - there was a feat that let you use it on OAs with MUS.
...but still doesn't let you use it more than once per round.
But the blurred strike ki focus does.
But it specifically says "additional time during your turn".
Yeah, the feat allows you to use fob on an OA, but you're still only allowed to us FOB once per round.
any thoughts on the elemental stuff?

any thoughts on the elemental stuff?

I'm off this coming week, so expect to see some updates soon.

Internalize the basic kata
great!  Thanks!  
This build has a totally legal way to get two flurry of blows without using twin striking or that ki focus. Zephyr Warchief grant you a Desert Wind flurry of blows. Note any class can have a Desert Wind flurry just by multiclassing with warlord. Want a sorceror monk? Now you can. Raven is a stonefist monk with desert wind flurry too.

I am looking at Zephyr Warchief in the compendium, and I'm not seeing what you're talking about.  Not only that, but Zephyr Warchief was put out in MP2, which came out two years before Hereos of Elemental Chaos, so I don't even see how it would be possible for the pp to give you a flurry without breaking the time/space continuum. 
My mistake. Apparently the Desert Wind got overwritten by the monk stuff. I've looked at the original class and the offline char generator I use got confused.
My mistake. Apparently the Desert Wind got overwritten by the monk stuff. I've looked at the original class and the offline char generator I use got confused.

Ok I was really confused there for a second.

Internalize the basic kata

Sealed
Not familiar with monks at all, but the theme Elemental Initiate seems to basically add +2 to every monk unarmed attack, for a total of +4 to hit when attacking through with expertise and through an accurate ki focus.  Is this correct, should all these things stack?  If they do, does that make elemental initiate GOLD?

Since I have no experience with them, I think I am missing something or interpresting this worng somehow, so I am asking... 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Sign In to post comments